Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

Productive work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 27, 2015
A typical day would be completing tasks on the to-do list for your department. The hardest part of the job is trying to sell the target items that are assigned for different departments.
Great people, unfortunate circumstances
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Flintridge, CAMay 27, 2015
Company is being consolidated to the east coast after a buy out.. The majority of employees are being let go and given time to search for work.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
No promotions or raises in years
Productive, fun, and friendly staff.
Sales Associate of Apparel Sections Duties (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMay 26, 2015
Sales Associate of Apparel Sections Duties: Greet and help customers, iron, fold, organize, label, scan, and up stocking merchandise, ship merchandise, phone calls, computer work, help with Changing-Rooms and Gift Center.
Pros
Employee discount, Mountain High Snowboarding Tickets.
Cons
managers weren't kind hearted people...
Place lost its magic
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 23, 2015
A typical day at Sport Chalet, is pretty straight forward. Their main focus is stats if you don't get stats, you don't get hours it's that simple.
The focus on budget is also one of the things they focus on since that depends where you land on the ranker.
I've learned a lot of stuff from Sport Chalet mainly the business aspect of it. My product knowledge has expanded dramatically.
The people there are amazing it is a shame that no one in there is happy with their hours, their pay, or their job.
Am going to say that the best part of the job is the customer base.
Pros
Free Rentals
Cons
Short Lunches, Bad Pay, Low Hours
Roller Coaster
Cashier/Apparel Manager/Footwear Manager (Former Employee) –  Menifee, CAMay 22, 2015
Never knew what the day was going to be like. I learned that you had to be a butt kisser to have a good day at work. I worked hard for this company and was treated poorly. I enjoyed majority of co-workers and one out of three managers.
Okay place to work.
Retail (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2015
Everything was fine, employees were great, Management was a joke and so was the way they ran and organized stuff. I personally wouldnt work there again.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short Breaks, sales quotas, no communication whatsoever
all sales, no customer service
sales (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMay 15, 2015
all the company cares about is selling and getting customers to apply for mastercards!
coworkers were the only thing keeping me there.
There was never any positive feedback or rewards
I learned a lot about sales and what its like working for a large retail corporation.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
management
Culture is on a down slide since the buy out
Head of Operations (California) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaMay 7, 2015
The new investment company has gutted Sport Chalet's most experienced and talented people. No full time employers, under staffed, customer regularly complain of low inventory and ignorant staff
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Low pay, no training, terrible benefits, inexperienced managers
New Ownership for Sport Chalet
Fixture Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles CA 91011May 4, 2015
The work environment is great amongst fellow co-workers. There is NOT a strong documentation of standard of operating procedures (SOP) most training comes through tribal information from the tenure employees. There are many perks to the job with the "pro deals" of getting the sports and recreational product at heavily reduced prices.
Pros
discounted product
Cons
healthcare long hours
Excellent Customer Service
Manager (Current Employee) –  CAApril 30, 2015
Customer is Boss, and this is supported by the Actions and Initiatives throughout the company. Good Knowledge for Sport Chalet Experts.
Sport Chalet
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 29, 2015
Sport Chalet was very welcoming and more than willing to compensate employees who were dedicated to perform, and create a sense of pride for the company. The work environment was fun, and allowed a sense of comfort to exist among-st the employment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Consistent shifts in management
Horrible work environment run by managers who are unfit
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 18, 2015
Showing up to work you would never know if you would be cut that day or if your shift would be cut short. You would always find yourself having to help out other departments because of management not scheduling workers correctly. You would be told to go do things that you were never formally taught to do just because you were free at the time and one of the managers saw you. I learned that if a customer complains or gets upset that you are suppose to give them what they want and more because the customer is always right. I also learned that even if you are following the rules that management told you to do, if a customer talks to management they will make you look like the bad guy and have the customer seeing you as a fool.
Pros
decent discounts, quality products
Cons
bad work environment, rude managers, low pay, no job security
Productive and fast pace workplace.
Full Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work involves customer service, meeting companys quotas with visas, i learned different way to sale. My co workers were fun to work with on some occasions. The management team was more playful then they worked hard. The hardest part of my job was some of the staff not communicating in the work enviornment which made the job a bit jhard. The most enjoyable part of the job was my guests (customers). :-)
Sport Chalet was a learning experience
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 7, 2015
I have worked at Sport Chalet for over eight years, and it was a great opportunity for me to learn SAP and the benefits of learning such a great program have been immense and I have enjoyed working in Accounts Payable with so many diverse and unique vendors.
Pros
SAP experience and easy commute
Cons
salary and benefits did not meet my needs
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAApril 3, 2015
This was my first job and I learned so much with my time here just about customer service in general. I enjoyed my coworkers company and had little stress involved with the job
NO chance of success
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 30, 2015
There is no moving up in this company. Had to fight for a well earned raise. No incentive no promotions. I would not work here again its good for part-time summer work.
Good Job but only if there is work
Order Entry (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 27, 2015
busy throughout the day if there is work to be done
learned new programs, and how to Enter orders
Management is good
some co-works are easier to get along with than others
dealing with outside Reps that turn in incomplete orders
when there is work and everyone is cooperating
Interesting place with lots interesting people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAMarch 19, 2015
Helping customers with exchanges, returns,and purchases. The hardest part of this job was dealing with management. They like to play favorites.
Pros
25% discount on everything is the store
Cons
short breaks, no health insurance
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2015
It was very nice to work for them, they trained you in very friendly environment. Nice experience.
My Manager was very helpful and also my co-workers.
Pros
Good traning
No Pay Chalet
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2015
Horrible pay no raises in 7 years. Just striped full time employees of full time status & took away benefits, & capped hours @ 25 to avoid obamacare. Company is in serious trouble.
Pros
Pro deals, great co-workers
Cons
Horrible pay, must work all holidays, high pressure to get credit card sign ups w unrealistic expectations