Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

Retail
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 4, 2015
This retail job was a great experience for me. I learned how to balance drawers and how to do inventory and ordering customer service and helping the public. A fun part of the job was working black Friday it was fun to see all the customer so excited for all the sales.
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJuly 16, 2015
Communicated adequately with customers to address their needs, answered phones, handled cash, stocked shelves, price changed goods, provided great customer service, and reached company goals
Pros
Hour lunches, Great management
New Ownership for Sport Chalet
Fixture Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles CA 91011May 4, 2015
The work environment is great amongst fellow co-workers. There is NOT a strong documentation of standard of operating procedures (SOP) most training comes through tribal information from the tenure employees. There are many perks to the job with the "pro deals" of getting the sports and recreational product at heavily reduced prices.
Pros
discounted product
Cons
healthcare long hours
great working atmosphere and outstanding customer service
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy working at sport chalet because it is an easy going work place. The experts provide great customer service to each guest that enters the store. lots of hands on training for each employee along with many online tools to assist the training experience.
Eazy job. Too slow at times.
-APPAREL (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2012
Sport Chalet is a good job for part timers who just want to work like 15-20 hrs a week. that's all u get here. It sucks for full timers becuz they never get a 40 hr wk they get 30-35 if they are lucky.
Pros
25%discount for employees
Cons
no raises, no recognition of any kind, no hours, no communication no holiday parties ever!
Sport Chalet was a learning experience
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 7, 2015
I have worked at Sport Chalet for over eight years, and it was a great opportunity for me to learn SAP and the benefits of learning such a great program have been immense and I have enjoyed working in Accounts Payable with so many diverse and unique vendors.
Pros
SAP experience and easy commute
Cons
salary and benefits did not meet my needs
Culture is on a down slide since the buy out
Head of Operations (California) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaMay 7, 2015
The new investment company has gutted Sport Chalet's most experienced and talented people. No full time employers, under staffed, customer regularly complain of low inventory and ignorant staff
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Low pay, no training, terrible benefits, inexperienced managers
Great co-workers, confused corporate structure
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Mixed messages from corporate which makes the day to day operations difficult to execute. The company has gotten away from the original owner's message of quality, individualized customer service. You meet many interesting people both in customers and fellow employees and have many opportunities to explore sports that you would have never thought to try.
Pros
pro deals, free rentals, and free scuba lessons
Cons
low salary for the amount of the responsibility.
Customer Service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 28, 2015
Great place to get started in working in customer service. You learn the different areas of the store and interacting with the customers. The management is well rounded in always willing to assist.
all sales, no customer service
sales (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMay 15, 2015
all the company cares about is selling and getting customers to apply for mastercards!
coworkers were the only thing keeping me there.
There was never any positive feedback or rewards
I learned a lot about sales and what its like working for a large retail corporation.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
management
great place to work if you're passionate about sports/biking/golf/scuba,etc..
Dept Head General Athletics/ Fitness (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 17, 2012
Company has a lot of good qualities, but unfortunately too many bad ones.
Will cherish the relationships I have with my co-workers. got to know some great people. in spite of management not allowing much socializing on floor
Employees are not as highly valued as "they" would like you to think(they=corporate + management). No input whatsoever even as a dept lead. As far how to improve efficiency and sales.
Lack of proper work materials and insufficient product on a daily basis made it difficult to satisfy all customers.
Extremely poor communication with management team , especially general manager.
fun environment with flexible schedule
Department merchandising and sales manager (Current Employee) –  Porter Ranch, CAApril 25, 2013
A typical day at work involves helping customers, maintaining sales floor and merchandise, and merchandising in new products.
I've learned a lot about time management and how to work well and communicate with others.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with unhappy and angry customers.
the most enjoyable part of my job is merchandising and putting out new products and making the sales floor look good by making it a place that people will want to shop.
Pros
flexible schedule, works well with school
Cons
corporate doesn't talk to each other, there is constant changes being made depending on who is walking the store that day.
Right Idea, poorly executed
Department Manager Seasonal &Rentals (Current Employee) –  Rancho CucamongaDecember 17, 2013
Typical day at work involves intense customer service, sales, merchandising, and inventory control among many other tasks. I was personally accountable for customer accounts. The management's lack of communication is one of their biggest downfalls. Because of the lack of communication, a lot of time is wasted on duplicating tasks, and efficiency could be improved. The co-workers are great. Everyone shares a common interest in the sporting industry, so we can all relate on many topics. The hardest part of the job is that there is no room for growth. I was on the fast track to management, and got put on a halt because of the economy, and nothing has improved since. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is dealing with the customers. They are there to speak to me and ask me for my advice. I like being able to not only help them find what they need, but to educate them on the product so they know why they need it.
Pros
discounts on product
Cons
short breaks, poor management, slow sales, lack of growth
Pays the bills
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CAJuly 7, 2014
processing invoices on SAP... and resolving vendor dispute. Typical retail accounting duties.
Pros
close to home
Cons
no sick days, no raise increase work load without increase pay, too much drama between staff.
Sport Chalet
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 29, 2015
Sport Chalet was very welcoming and more than willing to compensate employees who were dedicated to perform, and create a sense of pride for the company. The work environment was fun, and allowed a sense of comfort to exist among-st the employment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Consistent shifts in management
good days, bad days
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  los AngelesAugust 2, 2015
Only good thing I can say is fellow workers, since the company was bought out,all the good employees have left. Once the main core value, customer service, has all but disappeared. Main focus is meeting daily budgets and selling master cards, ridiculous. Managers ate inexperienced, rude, and non caring. Once a great place to work and shop, no more, way to go Vestis, corporate idiots
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
everything else
Great work environment
Footwear department Customer service (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAApril 13, 2012
Helping customers daily to direct them towards the correct product that fits their physical need.
I've learned a great deal and grasped a lot of knowledge in different fields of sports and the products needed for specific tasks.
The management team was great. I would've loved to continue working their if I had a higher pay.
Co-workers are all friendly and happy to work at a health advertised company.
The most enjoyable part of the day was helping friendly customers who came in the store for what they need.
Pros
big employee discounts for expensive products
Cons
low pay
Great company to work for.
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) –  La CanadaNovember 4, 2014
Very good company culture, management has a open door policy, and is very approachable.
Place lost its magic
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 23, 2015
A typical day at Sport Chalet, is pretty straight forward. Their main focus is stats if you don't get stats, you don't get hours it's that simple.
The focus on budget is also one of the things they focus on since that depends where you land on the ranker.
I've learned a lot of stuff from Sport Chalet mainly the business aspect of it. My product knowledge has expanded dramatically.
The people there are amazing it is a shame that no one in there is happy with their hours, their pay, or their job.
Am going to say that the best part of the job is the customer base.
Pros
Free Rentals
Cons
Short Lunches, Bad Pay, Low Hours
Great place to work as a part timer
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2014
This place was awesome to work at at first. There are some good perks on rentals and gear in the store, good employee discount. But once I became a full timer and started to see more closely on how the store ran, all the bad came out. Management is awful, the efficiency of the store is awful, everything just went downhill and it's continuing to do so.
Pros
employee discount, free rentals, some free events, great coworkers.
Cons
management and higher management, frequently struggling for hours even as a full timer.

2.8