Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Employee Reviews

work space
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 15, 2018
it was shared work place. Outside agency working a school. Had to travel to main office 2 to 3 times a month for staff meeting and to pick up checks. Otherwise it was a good working environment. The school admin was very welcoming
Fun & Effective Work IF you enjoy working with children
Group Leader, Activity Specialist, Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 2, 2018
SASF is a very fun, interactive, and beneficial place to work if you enjoy working with children. On a typical day you would clock in and then set up in the cafeteria. Once the kids arrive, you re there to facilitate and manage "snack time" and have everyone in your respective grades to sign-in so they are accounted for. Throughout the remainder of the program you're basically just keeping an eye on the kids (20-35 kids at any one time), assisting with homework, managing the classroom, and if necessary, conduct an activity or two to keep the kids engaged and under control.
Pros
schedule flexibility, working with and forming bonds with the kids, calm environment
Cons
no benefits, no full time positions, you dont work you dont get paid, no paid vacations, very little paid sick time, no overtime.
great experience
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 5, 2017
I was 16 going on 17 when I got this job in new york. my cousin helped me out alot. i love kids so i thought that this was the perfect job for me. the other camp counselors were so nice and kids were the best
Fun place to work with kids
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 5, 2017
A typical day at work is helping the kids with their homework and going to their activities after for a fun afternoon. This includes, basketball, flag football, cheerleading, step, dance, and cooking.
Pros
Doing fun activities for the kids
Cons
short hours, no benefits, no paid vacation
Great Organization in helping Kids
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYOctober 26, 2017
Good Organization when it comes to helping kids. As to management, very poor. No time management what so ever especially on the HR side. Constant stress for no reason. No set up agendas/rules to follow step by step.
Pros
Sports goodies
Cons
no benefits, not full time
Rewarding yet hard
After School Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 24, 2017
If you enjoy working with children and having a hand in teaching them to be the best versions of themselves, then this might be the place for you. While working with children is rewarding it is also the hardest part of the job. What ever problems they have during regular school hours tend to affect their behavior in after school.
Children were best part of job, coworkers not so much
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYOctober 10, 2017
The assistant site director and site directors I worked with were incompetent. That can be said for all of SASF management.the children deserve more than what they get out of this program.
Pros
Teaching the kids
Cons
Working with SASF faculty
Help to concentration and develop thinking skills
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2017
Getting the children to line up after school time. I learned children has issues,bullying was the big problems in that school.I all ways made it fun and safe and positively place. Management making sure all employees understand and delivers on the essential elements of their job and role, You must interactions ,dealing with behaviors and attitudes. We have meeting. Culture is the work environment that supply for all your employees.Employees are motivated and most satisfied when their needs and values are consistent with those manifested in my work place. You must listen to the children and want to be a good role model. I can go home in peace,

Having the to listen,stop playing around and to stop talking in class.
Pros
yes free snacks
fun afterschool gig - but not for long term growth and development
Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYAugust 23, 2017
I learned quickly that they weren't very respected in the non-profit world. They are the biggest recipient of grants - becuase they take whatever - but they are not the best. They sacrificed quality for quantity. This also shows in the upper management - archaic solutions and systems to people and talent development.

Also, be wary of the job postings. Several - like regional director of programs, is really a program manager role. They aren't transparent and authentic.

favoritism also runs rampant here.

Look elsewhere if you are looking for a career, but if you are in a school as an hourly employee (NOT A sITE DIRECTOR) then its a good, fun experience when you get to work directly with kids.
Pros
Kids.
Cons
management.
Fun working in environmen if you love working with kids
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
I have a enjoyable time working with sports and arts for the last two years of my life it has really mad me open my mind about kids. They all tech you some thing in their own way. They bring joy to ya life it always a pleasure
need more hours and benefits
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYAugust 11, 2017
fun fast paced job. not for you if you're looking for benefits, full time, and long term job. this is for someone who wants something temporary. not many hours were offered
Sports And Arts
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2017
I love working at Sports and Arts. Personally I would rather work with Elementary but I enjoy Middle school students as well. My supervisors are amazing, very understand when I have appointments and the few times I have called out or had to leave early.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Part Time
Valuable experience in a chaotic environment
Sports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 11, 2017
If you really need work experience, especially with kids, you can do this for a little while. Summer programs are fun because it is easier to stand chaos for only a couple of weeks. However, if you consider this as a long-term opportunity you should be aware of a few things:
* management is highly disorganized, often to the level of being unprofessional
* the supervisors and directors do not seem to recognize talented and motivated individuals they work with, and certainly do not give them positive feedback
* the work is very responsible (you are in charge of kids, after all, and some classes can be very wild, and in need of special assistance that is not provided for them), but the employers are not adequately prepared for their tasks. I would not feel safe to have my own kids in some of the programs I was involved with.
* the salary is lousy for how responsible the work is.
* there was a lot of misinformation between hiring and starting of the work
* there is a lot of inconsistency. The company has a great curriculum and good ideals, but these are often not reflected in any way whatsoever in the everyday practice. Some of your co-workers can be highly gifted and great individuals, others could not care less for the quality of their work.
Pros
professional development, it is fun to work with kids
Cons
low salary, chaotic management
Great place to work for because of the employees
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYJuly 1, 2017
My work day is usually pretty hectic with projects and deadlines. With the assistance from my manager I learned so many different skills that I applied to my daily work which made my job easier. I loved working with the staff and being able to assist them in so many different levels of concerns. The hardest part of my job is usually during the summer programs with staff hiring, orientation and training over 300 counselors for school programs. What I enjoyed the most from my job is having the employees feel comfortable to come to me for assistance in whatever they need and having them feel confident that I will do my best to accomplish it.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
extreme unorganization
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 26, 2017
If you ever wanted to feel like "wow, nobody at this company and nobody around me knows what they're doing" then sure, work here? Company at the top is clearly unorganized, events show up last minute, planning is last minute, usually work with schools/children that are equally disorganized with disrespectful staff everywhere.
Pros
hah, you think there are pros
Cons
literally everything
fun, active place to work
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 14, 2017
some middle school kids can be rowdy but overall the work is fun and filled with sports, arts and field trips throughout the summer. management is flexible and active in ensuring a great experience for everyone.
Pros
kids are fun to be around, decent pay
Cons
short breaks
productive and fun workplace
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2017
Sports & Arts offers a wide array of programs for New York City kids. From fitness to sports to art to academic programs, Sports & Arts classes are taught by talented and experienced staff.
Always something to do when working with kids.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYApril 14, 2017
I love this job working with kids. They teach me something new everyday. its only a part time job in the a after school program and with all the cut I need to be safe and back up plan. We help parents that work full time jobs and have no one to pick up their children. We give students activities where they learn how to survive in the real word.
Stay Away
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 13, 2017
Sports and Arts has a horrible organizational culture. This organization does not value their employees. There was always unrealistic deadlines and lack of accountability on behalf of upper management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children.
Cons
high turnover, unsupportive management
Great opppurtunity for a college student
STEM Specialist/Visual Arts Specialist (Current Employee) –  58-12 Queens Blvd #1, Woodside, NY 11377February 28, 2017
This is a perfect job for anyone (especially college students) who may want another job on the side. As long as you're passionate with working with kids you should have no problems. There's definite room for growth and the kids are enjoyable to work with. Don't get me wrong you're going to have your up's and downs, but you're going to have more good days than bad
Pros
room for growth, good wage for part time work
Cons
No benefits, lack of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8