Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Employee Reviews in United States

fun work place
Intern Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Sunnyside, NYMay 31, 2016
if your future is to teach kids how to play sports, or to tutor them and help them succeed in school then this is the job for you
Great after school program for students
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 18, 2016
This is a great company! I have a lot of support from my supervisors. I enjoy working with students in middle school to provide a safe environment for them after-school and helping them grow to be able to smoothly transition to high school. I also love helping to coach staff and help them grow to be better counselors so that they too can move up one day like I did.
productive fun place to work
Sports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 30, 2016
Responsible for the overall operation of the Sports Program including activity planning, implementation of safety
management. Implemented all other duties and assignments deemed appropriate by the Camp Director and Program Director.
Fun workplace, decent salary
Activity/Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NY 11377April 21, 2016
A typical day at work consists of supervising elementary to middle school students. The most rewarding part of the job is the appreciation of the students. The hardest part of the job is getting them to sit still.
Pros
short work days
Cons
short work days
Fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 15, 2016
I enjoyed my work schedule , I got to do so much with the kids and truly did enjoy it. I wouldn't mind doing it again . I got to teach the kids dance lessons so by the end of the summer the kids will present there dances to the entire camp. Co- workers were so great , it was a typical nice environment.
Pros
breaks were good
Cons
pay wasn't enough for what was being done
Great starting point
Lead Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYApril 4, 2016
its a great place to start off but depending on the site. At one site i worked at the staff was phenomenal. It taught me a alot and helped me develop my skills.
Just don't.
Asst. Site Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 10, 2016
This is the most unhelpful, disorganized, dysfunctional, and probably corrupt organization I have every worked for. The staff at HQ doesn't have the vaguest clue of how to run program, of how to train people to run programs, or of how to do their own job, and they are for the most part incredibly nasty to site staff.
SASF got contracts to expand SONYC (School's Out NYC) programs in 2014 and had to hire a lot of people very quickly. If you were placed at a good site or hired by a decent director, you have a better shot at making it all work than the unfortunate sites where directors were hired based on resumes instead of valid references.
The biggest problem is that the only fulltime person at any given site is the Site Director. S/he is scheduled at 40 hrs./week but works more like 60+ hrs./week. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the new USDOL overtime rules go into effect this summer. Will SASF make ASDs fulltime at that point? Who knows. But you can't run a program for 90-200 kids with one fulltime and a small staff of p/t workers, some of whom have dubious qualifications. You are not going to get job commitment from people who are limited to 15-20 hours a week, even if they are college students. Their other commitments will ALWAYS win, because even if your hourly is $15-18, it isn't worth it to flunk the classes upon which your real future depends, or find a sitter for your kids at home because they scheduled yet another useless mandatory training for your days off, for which you already had plans.
Directors are overworked and underpaid for what is expected.
  more... Data Specialists are underpaid and underscheduled, ESPECIALLY considering that future funding is completely dependent on accurate attendance data. I am sure that attendance data is being fudged at sites. I have been in meetings at HQ where it is made clear that Data Specialists are KNOWN to be expected to work on their own time, uncompensated, in violation of local, state, and federal labor law. I've been looking for another job ever since my first week there, and I have a decent director.  less
Pros
The kids. The hourly rate, but you will earn every single penny of it, with blood, sweat, and tears. The staff at your own site, if you're lucky.
Cons
EVERYONE at HQ. If they ever saw any classroom time, the kids would eat them alive, they are so inept and clueless.
SASF Management is Horrible! Extremely High Turnover
N/A (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Commencing with the CEO down to Managers, the organizations is extremely disorganized and mismanaged. There is a lot of waste and mismanagement of resources. Very disorganized yet they boast of having the most after school sites and receive very large grant amounts from the City. A complete restructuring of the organization is needed. I have never witnessed such extreme high turnovers which speaks volumes about the management of the organization. People choose to flee despite the amazing mission and opportunity to benefit youth.

The HQ atmosphere is chaotic. No space and can be extremely overcrowded and very loud. I have witnessed staff being berated by Managers, spoken to in the most disrespectful tones.

Many employees are hired with the promise of becoming full-time to receive benefits and may work part-time for years without any benefit. An investigation should be launched in to why an extremely high number of employees are hired as part-time for the same positions and the gross avoidance of providing benefits to staffing.
Pros
Benefiting the youth of NYC
Cons
Management; Conflict Resolution; Lack of Benefits
You will be surprised and not in a good way
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Shady company no oversight if you report something to management about unprofessional behavior they will do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug. They play favorites and you will not grow in the company unless you are apart of a certain clan. Some of the people are cool but too much drama. Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. Do not plan on staying long company is losing contracts left and right.
Pros
pay decent
Cons
unorganized, you will have to do 3-4 jobs because budgets, no support, unrealistic goals
Very Disappointed
Music Teaching Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
VERY DISORGANIZED!
I had an interview, and I was told that I will receive a confirmation email, but it didn't happen...I later call after running around the operator, and finally spoke to the person that interviewed me, which told me not to call, and tha they are trying to place me in a Public School in The Bronx, NYC. She also told me not to call, because they don't pick up the phone. She said that the best way was to emailed them..After months of emails I never heard from them.
Great place to gain experience
Activities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 4, 2016
I loved working for this company. I would do it again. I was placed in a middle school and would have preferred elementary but other than that, the pay is reasonable and the job is fun. It did not feel like work very often. I loved the kids and the staff was supportive, understanding and easy to talk to. I had no issues. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was showing the children something new, even if it was just jump rope. The reward is so great.
Pros
Trips, fun kids, snacks
Cons
End of school year meant that I needed to find another job.
Great after school program to work for
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2015
Work was fun and different every day. Much more varied than any other after school program I've worked for. Great part-time opportunity.

Kids were wonderful. I really felt like I made an impact on their lives.
Pros
Working with kids, lots of activities
Cons
School schedule, part-time
Sports base program
Sports Specialist/ Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 10, 2015
Position is responsible for assisting the head coach with organizing the Basketball program at the assigned school. Position assists with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing
student athletes in game strategies and techniques.
Pros
kids work out.
Cons
Not enough time.
Sports and Arts Review
Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2015
Sports and Arts is a decent foundation to work for. The compensation is very good for the amount of work that is required and it is relatively stress free. A great job for college students. My only complaint is the back office seems terribly unorganized. Perhaps their work volume is too high, but I ran into too many problems with HR that I felt had easy resolutions.
Pros
Flexible hours, good compensation
Cons
unarganized management
Dysfunctional mismanaged nonprofit.
Manager of Contracts & Program Budgets (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYNovember 1, 2015
Lack of advancement in small finance department. Tedious & repetitive budget modification process. High employee turnover.
Counterproductive management.
Pros
Free tickets to sports events
Cons
Divisive culture in Finance Dept fomented by arrogant CFO.
Provide quality after school programming to DOE schools and Charter Schools.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  YonkersOctober 14, 2015
A great job that allows you to interact with students and administrative staff in a school setting. As a Program Director you are able to design a fun and safe learning environment and provide exciting enrichment activities to students who come from a household of single parents who are unable to provide these opportunities to their children due to financial struggles.
Pros
Able to see the joy your work brings to the students
Cons
work late hours
fun environment to work with kids when not limited
Sport Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens , New YorkSeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy the children and the culture of the program. At times I have very limited resources or space to fulfill job requirements however I work with what I have .
Pros
experience
Cons
communication
Great part-time job
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I worked hands on with students and teachers on a daily basis which was one of the best parts about this job. Higher Management could have been handled and conducted in a much better manner.
Productive, active, livey
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 21, 2015
Always on your toes, never a dull moment, with students and co-workers alike. Great environment, not without it's challenges, but standards are always pushed forward.
Pros
Free lunches, fun students, great management
Cons
Wish hours were longer
The Most Enjoyable Part of the JOb
Assistant Afterschool Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York Metro AreaSeptember 2, 2015
I love working with children, so for me no matter what is going on in the "back office", I am completely satisfied when I see the rewarding smiles on the children's faces after a successful and fun day has been completed.
Pros
Teaching new things to children

2.9