Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Employee Reviews

Requites teamwork, has great potential but, is poorly organized
Counselor/Tutor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Trips around the city, flexible schedule (especially if you are a student), good pay, great co-workers, friendly environments
Cons: Less then 20 a week, Lengthy hiring process (took me two whole months)
At my time at SASF, building relationships and developing teamwork is the easy part. They hire bright and accomplished individuals who use their skills in academics or sports to influence and engage with the children.
However, a lot of that talent is wasted or delayed because of poor upper management decisions. If you walk into the headquarters in Queens, NY you can see them all lounging around laughing. At the schools, where all the real work is done, everyone is hard at work. - Or they try to be while waiting on an approval letter from HQ to do anything outside of the school site. An organization that is controlled by it's funders can never be good.
Other than that, my time at SASF has been very enjoyable; my experience with every activity has taught me new things about teamwork, discipline and making the right choices. The part I enjoy most is being able to influence the students with all that I myself have learned and with positivity.
Good Company
tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Good Pay
Cons: Mangement lack of communication
I enjoyed working for SASF..I gained a lot of experience that will benefit me throughout my career. Management needs work but its not as bad as some other organizations
Dedicated non-profit organization - provide free after school programs
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Queens, NYJune 9, 2015
The Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation (SASF)’s goal is to help bridge the academic performance gap among underachieving students by extending the school day and year with wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve New York City children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
Good experience
Program Director (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 2, 2015
Enjoy working in School environment as a Director of Program. Collaborating with other school professionals and providing professional developments was a great experience.
Fun job
Academic Technology Support (Current Employee), Woodside, New YorkMay 19, 2015
This is only a temporary job for the most part. My job is travel to different schools and make sure all the after school program director is doing their job
Fun workplace
Sports Specialist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 22, 2015
This job allows me to be more interactive with the children and a role model. I don't only help them academic wise but I also get to teach them recreational skills in various sports, such as flag football, soccer, floor hockey, and basketball. I play a major part in their lives as well as teach them dance on the side.
Great experience, Always learning new things
DATA SPECIALIST/ DIRECTOR ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 12, 2015
Pros: High pay wage, comfortable working environment.
Cons: Dangerous neighborhood, unstable schedule, part-time hours.
A typical day at work would include, updating all the attendance/ data that needed to be updated before the after-school program started, once the program started i would hand out snacks to all the after-school activities, and supervise and maintain the program in an organized manner.
Becoming a data entry specialist has taught me how to function different data entry programs. Its also taught me how to get things done on time, being that all the attendance had to be submitted by a deadline. Its also taught me how to keep information in an organized manner so that it is easy to comprehend.
great job , love all the students
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Queens, NYApril 11, 2015
Pros: going on different trips with the kids
Cons: only a part time job.
a great way to learn different ways to deal with all type of ages.
I have became cpr AND FIRST AID CERF FROM THIS JOB.
I GOT ALONG WITH MOST OF MY CO WORKERS AND MOST RESPECT
Bitter Sweet
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Helping the children become better students and teaching them life lessons
Cons: Not allowed to make 40 hrs a week, no benefits or healthcare for PT employees, very inconsiderate to employees off time when scheduling meetings.
I have enjoyed my time working at SASF very much, but the bad definitely outweighs the good. Once I've moved of I will truly miss the children.
You don't do this for the money
School Program Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: professional development
Cons: pay, communication
To be an after school program director at SASF, means that you are 100% responsible for all things pertaining to your program; including things that may or may not be in your control.

This is a career that you choose because you love the field. You do it because you want to enrich the lives of inner city students. You do it for the joy you see in your student's faces. You do not do this job for the thank yous, you most certainly do not do this job for the money.

SASF has a mission to bridge the educational gap at inner city public schools by targeting the three crucial hours taking place once students are dismissed from school. A mission I fully stand by and advocate for.

To be working for this agency means that I have the ability to make a difference.
Fun work place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), BronxJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great work hours, friendly co-workers
I became a counselor at Sports and Arts Club. It was a summer program that had sports, arts, academics, and field trips combined. This allowed students to be social and involved, with their community. I worked with students from the ages of 6 through 12. Enjoyed it because children were able to experience different activities outside of their neighborhood.
Productive environment filled with eager children
School Year Teacher/ Counselor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day would begin with attendance and then the program would switch into academic groups. Students would do their homework I would assist. After doing homework I would help the children to engage in a leadership activity; where they would learn how to better themselves. Once this activity is done I would help students transition into their club sports or activities such as volleyball, basketball, step, sign language, soccer, etc. When clubs are completed for the day the final part of the day is to make sure all students are dismissed and are not lingering around the school building.
fun place to work
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee), Queens, NYDecember 21, 2014
my typical work day at SASF was an enjoyable experience. the staff was welcoming and very knowledgeable in field. the management had great control over the entire camp. relayed information in a timely matter. the job was very flexible with school and other appointments. working alongside the activity specialist was and enjoyable experience, working with children was very rewarding.
Great Environment
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx,NYDecember 1, 2014
Everyone was loving including staff and parent to the children that attended our program
Good Organization
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Kew Gardens, NYSeptember 22, 2014
A great non-profit. Nice people. Provides after school programs for NYC Dept of Education schools across the five boroughs.
Disappointment promises then no follow-up call to confirm
Manager (Former Employee), NYSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: wonderful opportunities for kids to get expose to new things
Cons: lack of communication
SASF, mission is wonderful and perfect for all school children. They, serve a great need and purpose in kids daily lives. I reached out a few times after my interview trying not to be overly pushy or aggressive and still have not heard anything after the managing position was offered to me during the interview.
Its not a good feeling to experience. But, I'm still a firm believer in SASF's mission. At least they are doing well by the kids. But it would have been nice to know what happen!

Have anyone else experience the same treatment?
Productive and fun place to work if you love children
Assistant Site Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2014
SASF helps bridge the academic performance gap among under-achieving students by extending the school day and year with wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve New York City children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
Challenging and rewarding
Activity Specialist/ Data Entry (Former Employee), Bronx, NYApril 8, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: healthcare, part-time
Same routine every time working and mentoring the kids with other staffs. Hardest thing is to have them share and open up to new ideas but once they do they can relate. You feel like family once you get to know them.
Financial Office Assistant (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 18, 2014
- day by day work
- not stressful
- friendly
- productive
- The hardest part is getting here
- welcoming
This company provides room for advancement. My position is rewarding and fulfilling in that I feel I have a positive impact on the young people.
Assistant Director (Current Employee), MS175 - Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2014
Pros: it is sports related
Cons: my position is part time
I work with wonderful enthusiastic people. We are all interested in the welfare and well being of the young people in our program. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students feel proud of themselves.

About Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

ABOUT US Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation (SASF) is New York’s leading provider of after-school programs. Our mission – Read more

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Salaries

Human Resources Administrative Assistant
$10.00 per hour

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Photos

SASF at United Way Brooklyn Bridge Walk
Keeep sports an Arts in schools