Valuable experience in a chaotic environment
Sports Specialist (Former Employee) – Queens, NY – July 11, 2017
If you really need work experience, especially with kids, you can do this for a little while. Summer programs are fun because it is easier to stand chaos for only a couple of weeks. However, if you consider this as a long-term opportunity you should be aware of a few things:
* management is highly disorganized, often to the level of being unprofessional
* the supervisors and directors do not seem to recognize talented and motivated individuals they work with, and certainly do not give them positive feedback
* the work is very responsible (you are in charge of kids, after all, and some classes can be very wild, and in need of special assistance that is not provided for them), but the employers are not adequately prepared for their tasks. I would not feel safe to have my own kids in some of the programs I was involved with.
* the salary is lousy for how responsible the work is.
* there was a lot of misinformation between hiring and starting of the work
* there is a lot of inconsistency. The company has a great curriculum and good ideals, but these are often not reflected in any way whatsoever in the everyday practice. Some of your co-workers can be highly gifted and great individuals, others could not care less for the quality of their work.
professional development, it is fun to work with kids
low salary, chaotic management