Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Employee Reviews

This was the worst job I ever had
Assistant Director (contract) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2016
It was horrid the are very unorganized. I wouldnt trust my kids in that environment. I got fired for no reason. There was no paper trail. I heard the boss engaged in innapprioate converstation with line staff. People didnt no work. And leadership is all friends and family
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Great job for entering the workforce
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2016
I actually have a lot of fun at my job being a data specilist. I am only leaving because I am too old to still be working a part time job. My co workers and boss are great we work together really well. We all have a common goal which is to keep the kids engaged and coming to program and we have been doing that with great pride for the last three years.
Pros
free program for kids
Cons
no benefits
Need fixing
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYJanuary 11, 2017
Although the job was great with the students, management is not. In many times there would be issues with staff vs staff or management ignoring the needs to staff and treating others with better priorities. Although the whole experience was nice and enjoyable to have students, I wouldn't do it again.
Pros
free lunches, great trips, amazing students
Cons
management, authority, and lack of hours
Great Organization... terrible management
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 15, 2016
Great Organization... terrible management. Blinded sided with what is expected of you with limited training. Some really talented people working with the organization but are not recognized and accepted better offers elsewhere.
Pros
lots of vacation days... flexible work hours
Cons
management does not reconigze hard working employees.
Productive and fun work place
Activities Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2016
great work environment
everyone's really understanding and accommodating
managements hands on with work projects
children are great and abrasive towards staff
SASF Management is Horrible! Extremely High Turnover
N/A (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Commencing with the CEO down to Managers, the organizations is extremely disorganized and mismanaged. There is a lot of waste and mismanagement of resources. Very disorganized yet they boast of having the most after school sites and receive very large grant amounts from the City. A complete restructuring of the organization is needed. I have never witnessed such extreme high turnovers which speaks volumes about the management of the organization. People choose to flee despite the amazing mission and opportunity to benefit youth.

The HQ atmosphere is chaotic. No space and can be extremely overcrowded and very loud. I have witnessed staff being berated by Managers, spoken to in the most disrespectful tones.

Many employees are hired with the promise of becoming full-time to receive benefits and may work part-time for years without any benefit. An investigation should be launched in to why an extremely high number of employees are hired as part-time for the same positions and the gross avoidance of providing benefits to staffing.
Pros
Benefiting the youth of NYC
Cons
Management; Conflict Resolution; Lack of Benefits
Dysfunctional mismanaged nonprofit.
Manager of Contracts & Program Budgets (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYNovember 1, 2015
Lack of advancement in small finance department. Tedious & repetitive budget modification process. High employee turnover.
Counterproductive management.
Pros
Free tickets to sports events
Cons
Divisive culture in Finance Dept fomented by arrogant CFO.
Sports and Arts Review
Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2015
Sports and Arts is a decent foundation to work for. The compensation is very good for the amount of work that is required and it is relatively stress free. A great job for college students. My only complaint is the back office seems terribly unorganized. Perhaps their work volume is too high, but I ran into too many problems with HR that I felt had easy resolutions.
Pros
Flexible hours, good compensation
Cons
unarganized management
Productive work environment
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Sports and art is a rewarding program helping school age children through out New York City. This company has amazing opportunities for growth and expansion
productive fun place to work
Sports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 30, 2016
Responsible for the overall operation of the Sports Program including activity planning, implementation of safety
management. Implemented all other duties and assignments deemed appropriate by the Camp Director and Program Director.
You will be surprised and not in a good way
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Shady company no oversight if you report something to management about unprofessional behavior they will do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug. They play favorites and you will not grow in the company unless you are apart of a certain clan. Some of the people are cool but too much drama. Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. Do not plan on staying long company is losing contracts left and right.
Pros
pay decent
Cons
unorganized, you will have to do 3-4 jobs because budgets, no support, unrealistic goals
Great after school program for students
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 18, 2016
This is a great company! I have a lot of support from my supervisors. I enjoy working with students in middle school to provide a safe environment for them after-school and helping them grow to be able to smoothly transition to high school. I also love helping to coach staff and help them grow to be better counselors so that they too can move up one day like I did.
Enjoyable time working with children.
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 8, 2016
Monday - Thursday summer camp. Responsible for children ages 9-13. Participated in games, crafts and field trips. Gained the knowledge of the responsibility that goes into child care.
Fast Paced
Senior Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 5, 2013
Working in a fast paced, high-need school environment requires you to be very attentive and caring. As a tutor it is important to help students to understand their assignments and happily engage in activities. I've learned that its essential to be empathetic towards others. As far as management, at times there's difficulty with proper advancement. Co-workers may not always be as attentive as they should be. The hardest part of the job is making sure that the students remain on task. The most enjoyable is being supportive to the students and hearing their laughter.
Fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 15, 2016
I enjoyed my work schedule , I got to do so much with the kids and truly did enjoy it. I wouldn't mind doing it again . I got to teach the kids dance lessons so by the end of the summer the kids will present there dances to the entire camp. Co- workers were so great , it was a typical nice environment.
Pros
breaks were good
Cons
pay wasn't enough for what was being done
fun work place
Intern Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Sunnyside, NYMay 31, 2016
if your future is to teach kids how to play sports, or to tutor them and help them succeed in school then this is the job for you
Fun workplace, decent salary
Activity/Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NY 11377April 21, 2016
A typical day at work consists of supervising elementary to middle school students. The most rewarding part of the job is the appreciation of the students. The hardest part of the job is getting them to sit still.
Pros
short work days
Cons
short work days
Very Disappointed
Music Teaching Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
VERY DISORGANIZED!
I had an interview, and I was told that I will receive a confirmation email, but it didn't happen...I later call after running around the operator, and finally spoke to the person that interviewed me, which told me not to call, and tha they are trying to place me in a Public School in The Bronx, NYC. She also told me not to call, because they don't pick up the phone. She said that the best way was to emailed them..After months of emails I never heard from them.
Good Company
tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYCJuly 5, 2015
I enjoyed working for SASF..I gained a lot of experience that will benefit me throughout my career. Management needs work but its not as bad as some other organizations
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Mangement lack of communication
Great place to gain experience
Activities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 4, 2016
I loved working for this company. I would do it again. I was placed in a middle school and would have preferred elementary but other than that, the pay is reasonable and the job is fun. It did not feel like work very often. I loved the kids and the staff was supportive, understanding and easy to talk to. I had no issues. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was showing the children something new, even if it was just jump rope. The reward is so great.
Pros
Trips, fun kids, snacks
Cons
End of school year meant that I needed to find another job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9