Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation

Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation Employee Reviews

Very Disappointed
Music Teaching Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
VERY DISORGANIZED!
I had an interview, and I was told that I will receive a confirmation email, but it didn't happen...I later call after running around the operator, and finally spoke to the person that interviewed me, which told me not to call, and tha they are trying to place me in a Public School in The Bronx, NYC. She also told me not to call, because they don't pick up the phone. She said that the best way was to emailed them..After months of emails I never heard from them.
Great place to gain experience
Activities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 4, 2016
I loved working for this company. I would do it again. I was placed in a middle school and would have preferred elementary but other than that, the pay is reasonable and the job is fun. It did not feel like work very often. I loved the kids and the staff was supportive, understanding and easy to talk to. I had no issues. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was showing the children something new, even if it was just jump rope. The reward is so great.
Pros
Trips, fun kids, snacks
Cons
End of school year meant that I needed to find another job.
Great after school program to work for
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2015
Work was fun and different every day. Much more varied than any other after school program I've worked for. Great part-time opportunity.

Kids were wonderful. I really felt like I made an impact on their lives.
Pros
Working with kids, lots of activities
Cons
School schedule, part-time
Sports base program
Sports Specialist/ Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 10, 2015
Position is responsible for assisting the head coach with organizing the Basketball program at the assigned school. Position assists with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing
student athletes in game strategies and techniques.
Pros
kids work out.
Cons
Not enough time.
Sports and Arts Review
Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2015
Sports and Arts is a decent foundation to work for. The compensation is very good for the amount of work that is required and it is relatively stress free. A great job for college students. My only complaint is the back office seems terribly unorganized. Perhaps their work volume is too high, but I ran into too many problems with HR that I felt had easy resolutions.
Pros
Flexible hours, good compensation
Cons
unarganized management
Dysfunctional mismanaged nonprofit.
Manager of Contracts & Program Budgets (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYNovember 1, 2015
Lack of advancement in small finance department. Tedious & repetitive budget modification process. High employee turnover.
Counterproductive management.
Pros
Free tickets to sports events
Cons
Divisive culture in Finance Dept fomented by arrogant CFO.
Provide quality after school programming to DOE schools and Charter Schools.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  YonkersOctober 14, 2015
A great job that allows you to interact with students and administrative staff in a school setting. As a Program Director you are able to design a fun and safe learning environment and provide exciting enrichment activities to students who come from a household of single parents who are unable to provide these opportunities to their children due to financial struggles.
Pros
Able to see the joy your work brings to the students
Cons
work late hours
fun environment to work with kids when not limited
Sport Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens , New YorkSeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy the children and the culture of the program. At times I have very limited resources or space to fulfill job requirements however I work with what I have .
Pros
experience
Cons
communication
Great part-time job
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I worked hands on with students and teachers on a daily basis which was one of the best parts about this job. Higher Management could have been handled and conducted in a much better manner.
Productive, active, livey
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 21, 2015
Always on your toes, never a dull moment, with students and co-workers alike. Great environment, not without it's challenges, but standards are always pushed forward.
Pros
Free lunches, fun students, great management
Cons
Wish hours were longer

Want to know more about Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation?

Ask a question
The Most Enjoyable Part of the JOb
Assistant Afterschool Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York Metro AreaSeptember 2, 2015
I love working with children, so for me no matter what is going on in the "back office", I am completely satisfied when I see the rewarding smiles on the children's faces after a successful and fun day has been completed.
Pros
Teaching new things to children
Productive and fun activities for children
Counselor/Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 23, 2015
Great job working with children. There are various amount of activities children can choose from to have a good time after school.
Fun Work Environment
STEM Teacher - Camp (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 9, 2015
The students listened and were excited about all activities. The staff were friendly and enjoyed working with one another daily.
Pros
Short work days, able to participate in activities with students
Cons
no breaks
the kids are fun to teach
Leadership Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 3, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of implementing lesson plans while engaging in physical activities. All in all its worth while.
Pros
pay
Cons
breaks
A higher staff turn-over ratio than McDonalds
Teacher (Current Employee) –  P.S. 97 BronxJuly 24, 2015
The management at Sports and Arts manages to turn what should be a summer camp into a boot camp. Students are micro-managed on every level, including when they are "permitted" to use the bathroom. Employees are verbally abused by SASF managers and are reprimanded in front of the children and parents they are serving, thereby undermining their authority with the students. Managers believe that arrogance is a good substitute for competence.
Pros
Free baby sitting
Cons
Poorly managed, staff turnover
Requites teamwork, has great potential but, is poorly organized
Counselor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 8, 2015
At my time at SASF, building relationships and developing teamwork is the easy part. They hire bright and accomplished individuals who use their skills in academics or sports to influence and engage with the children.
However, a lot of that talent is wasted or delayed because of poor upper management decisions. If you walk into the headquarters in Queens, NY you can see them all lounging around laughing. At the schools, where all the real work is done, everyone is hard at work. - Or they try to be while waiting on an approval letter from HQ to do anything outside of the school site. An organization that is controlled by it's funders can never be good.
Other than that, my time at SASF has been very enjoyable; my experience with every activity has taught me new things about teamwork, discipline and making the right choices. The part I enjoy most is being able to influence the students with all that I myself have learned and with positivity.
Pros
Trips around the city, flexible schedule (especially if you are a student), good pay, great co-workers, friendly environments
Cons
Less then 20 a week, Lengthy hiring process (took me two whole months)
Good Company
tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYCJuly 5, 2015
I enjoyed working for SASF..I gained a lot of experience that will benefit me throughout my career. Management needs work but its not as bad as some other organizations
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Mangement lack of communication
Dedicated non-profit organization - provide free after school programs
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 9, 2015
The Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation (SASF)’s goal is to help bridge the academic performance gap among underachieving students by extending the school day and year with wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve New York City children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
Good experience
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 2, 2015
Enjoy working in School environment as a Director of Program. Collaborating with other school professionals and providing professional developments was a great experience.
Fun job
Academic Technology Support (Current Employee) –  Woodside, New YorkMay 19, 2015
This is only a temporary job for the most part. My job is travel to different schools and make sure all the after school program director is doing their job