Sports Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,328 reviews matching the search
Best part of the job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2016
Even through the liquidation process, the co-workers were the best part of the job. Most kept their heads and spirits up to continue servicing our customers.
fun place to work with
Store Co- Manager (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 22, 2016
store level was fun and competitive to work in. management set weekly goals for staff. customer service was highly pushed and focused on to help promote sales and return of customers.
Great store management team.
Senior Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAAugust 21, 2016
The management team at the store I worked at was wonderful. I was a senior sales associate and merchandiser. My typical day was providing excellent customer service to all that came into the store. I also spent my final days setting up attractive displays using corporate planograms.
Pros
Excellent group of coworkers.
Cons
Company went out of business.
company is gone
Team Leader Softlines Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 20, 2016
the company went bankrupt because of its inability to progress with the times. very bad decision making in the corporate levels. the company went bankrupt and had been sliding downhill for years
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
everything else
Was a good place to work, good benefits, good people
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 17, 2016
High standards of customer service, but enjoyed working with
a team of dependable associates who were willing to do what it
takes to complete tasks.
No longer around
Senior Team Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAAugust 16, 2016
Review seems to be unnecessary due to the company going bankrupts in 2016. It was a simple retail job, no more, no less. Helping people can be fun and rewarding or can be troublesome and a nuisance.
Great culture and team
District Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2016
Solid company leadership and team oriented. I would recommend the company to anyone interested in growth and development. Unfortunately the company is going out of business
sports authority
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAAugust 16, 2016
There is a reason they closed! Poor inventory management. Poor upper management. A fun place to work overall but only because of customers and subject matter.
Great Place to Work
SOFTLINES MERCHANDISE TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 15, 2016
Great work/life balance, great vacation and medical benefits, lots of room for advancement in the company. Everyone is very friendly and willing to go above and beyond.
Pros
Vacation, PTO time
Cons
Short Lunches
Amazing experience with great friends
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 15, 2016
A typical day is walking in the doors of Sports Authority and saying hi to coworker. In reality everyone is friendly and great to be around, usually people complain how work is slow and boring. However, with the people i work with that is not the case because the day goes fast. Being my first job, the managers were the best i've ever had and hope they are the best i will ever encounter. They are motivated, friendly, passioned and just great managers overall. The hardest part of the day will be of course cleaning because sometimes depending on the rush hour is rough. The most enjoyable part is just spending my shift with amazing people. Even doe the company closed down i wished i could have stayed longer to continue having fun with the work experience and especially the poeple.
Pros
Great Employees, Outstanding Managers, Manageable, Great Atmosphere

Want to know more about Sports Authority?

Ask a question
The job used to be fun...
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIAugust 15, 2016
That was, until it went out of business.

Co-workers and managers were a blast to work with. Almost everyone treated each other like family.
Sports Authority
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2016
Day to day was pretty easy, work was very relaxed. Working sales of this type included knowing information about the various items that were sold in each department. Working with the management was easy, they were knowledgeable about how to help with any issue that arose. Co workers were fun to work with. I learned how to multitask, and how to deal with the public, as this job had a various amount of diversity. The hardest part of the job was selling the service plans on treadmills. The most enjoyable part of the job was selling shoes, at that time I really enjoyed shoes.
Pros
Time for life.
Cons
Pay was minimal.
Fun, motivating place to work with many opportunities to advance
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 11, 2016
It was a good place to work with many advancement opportunities. As a Demand Planner, I worked with many different team members to set up and forecast product, analyze actualities, trends and advertising results. Management usually provided what I needed to do my job. The hardest part of the job sometimes was getting more responsibility, but it was rewarding to see product move through the processes of selection, set up, promotion, in-store visual, sales, and checking actualizations to what was forecasted. The best part was the team members- what a great group of people. It's sad that Sports Authority is gone now, due to, in my opinion, poor leadership decisions 6-8 years ago by previous leadership that could not be overcome by the current, much better leadership.
loved working and being creative
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 10, 2016
company in general was very bad treated employees very unfair but i enjoyed working as a assitant manager. did what many couldnt do si i was always active and working. learning more for future jobs .
Pros
machines and actually liking the job
Cons
management
Productive, busy, fun and competitive workplace.
Hardlines Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2016
A typical day at work, is walking in the front entrance and being greeted by your fellow co-workers because it's a positive, friendly and fun working environment. You clock in, grab your radio and hit the floor ready to take on tasks and curious customers in need of advice, information or simple direction until the day is done. Prepare for repetition and a variety of tasks.

In my time working in retail, I have learned that not every customer is the same and that they can vary as far as what their needs may consist of. I've learned that tact, experience, patience, consistency and efficiency are everything in the retail world.

My opinion of management is that you have to have more patience than what you ask of your associates. Leadership, knowledge and experience are huge tools in order to be a successful and respectable manager. You can never ask your associates to do something that you haven't done before or wouldn't do yourself and you must always set the example for them to follow and emulate. It's always a plus if you have other managers that can synchronize with your work ethic.

You want to respect your co-workers but also know how to draw the line between associate, supervisor, and manager.There should always be a consistent flow of information between every level so everyone is informed and issues/discrepancies can be easily addressed. All co-workers alike should respect the workplace and do their part When you work in retail you are a team. Lastly, I think that all workers alike should avoid fraternizing because I have seen the negative effects
  more... of it first hand. It hinders the moral of the work place.

The hardest part of retail and management can be handling rare and diverse issues that may arise in the workplace ranging from a complex mishap during a transaction to co-workers consistently lagging in work performance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is building effective and meaningful relationships with co-workers and customers alike, and the joyous feeling of making and seeing a satisfied customer.
Pros
Respectable management. Incentives and recognition for hard work.
Cons
fraternization, unrealistic expectations, constant call outs.
It was good while it lasted
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 10, 2016
The days gradually became different as the closing day came. I had several of duties at the job such as being a cashier, working the fitting rooms, putting apparel back in their appropriate places, working in the stock room, etc. When I worked in other retail stores I only did one or two things but here I learned to do almost everything an associate can do in retail. My co-workers were okay, I was able to work with most of them. There wasn't really anything hard about the job. The most enjoyable time was having fun while working.
Pros
I had most weekends off
Cons
My lunch break was only 30 min long
My Tenure at Sports Authority
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 9, 2016
The best part of my tenure at Sports Authority was watching the Sales Team come together as a whole to overcome a difficult customer or situation. The hardest part of the time at Sports Authority was not being able to overcome the theft situation at each store. Unfortunately as time went on, it seemed to be worse and worse.
Pros
The people I was able to meet.
Cons
Theifs
Was a great opportunity to work for Sports Authority. All my co-workers were supportive and helpful.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HI 96797August 9, 2016
While working for Sports Authority, I've worked with customers and enjoyed assisting them with questions. If I didn't know what the answer to their questions were, I would find out for them. I'd assist customers in getting items down on high shelves, find an item in the store, carry out heavy bulky items, and sell them extended warranties. The managers there were very helpful and guided me through my job which allowed me to feel very comfortable and be productive at my job. The hardest part of my job was when there were no customers to assist. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting customers and working with my co-workers/managers.
wonderful work place
Softlines Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 9, 2016
All the employees were like a family in the work place. Going to work was always a good time. Everyone worked really hard, so it wasn't ever like one person was doing more than another, which made everyone want to work harder in order to help each other. We had a "work family". Even on people's day off you would see them coming in just to say hi or check on how the day was going. The job never seemed too difficult because everyone was on board with what they were supposed to do and worked hard to get it done as a team.
Fun place to work with other associates
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAAugust 8, 2016
I was grateful for the opportunity to work with the associates at the Mansfield store .i would have liked to continue my employment there.
Pros
I had a fun job for 8 1/2 years with lots of challeng!!
Cons
We shut down in July of this year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Authority. Our community is ready to answer.