Sports Authority

1.1K reviews

Sports Authority Employee Reviews

Found 1,048 reviews matching the search
Terrible management, disorganized company.
Receiving manager. (Current Employee) –  Long IslandApril 24, 2014
Terrible place to work if you're a manager. Stores are run on a shoestring budget and managers are expected to do everything. The company is so disorganized its laughable. The DM told me they were disorganized during my interview! Example; seasonal resets are to be finished by March 1st using last years plan, two weeks later this years plan comes out and you have to redo it, then the DM walks the store and changes that! This happens during every reset.
Store managers are usually 23 year old kids who are in over their heads because they haven't been trained. In 6 months I've seen 3 managers come through 1 store. The only people who get promoted are sales managers. Apparel, operations and receiving managers are never.
You're best bet for employment here is being a part timer, there are very few full timers. Employees have a longer tenure than managers. There is something to be said about a company when it's managers up and quit without notice when they get a better job. They all want to screw the company and their upper managers.

BTW, you don't get paid for ANY holidays, Christmas, thanksgiving. Nothing. I've never worked for a company that didn't. I can't wait to get out of here, and when I do there won't be any notice.
Pros
not many. flexible schedule.
Cons
poor management, short breaks, no holiday pay.
productive, fast paced enviornment, detail orientated
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAMarch 22, 2013
A typical day is all employees meeting the highest expectations of the customers, make sure every cutsomer is signed up for the league loyalty card so each customer can benifit from shopping buy saving at the same time. We also make sure to let them know when it is in their best intrest to buy a protection plan so that they will be safe than sorry if the item breaks suddely. I have learned many things from working for Sports Authority but what stuck to me the most was how I was able to please every customer was being able to relate to most questions, concerns, comments or problems. Id personally say management is ok but i this loss provention could be way better than it is now, I feel like they fix a few security issues. On the other hand, the co-workers are sensialbe, enjoyable people that take passion in the departments they work in. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was knowing every product in the store, big items to small but thanks to team work everything works out. Finally the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet new people that I probly would have never met, and being able to please anyone that i could help.
Pros
discount on clothes, spiff bonuses
Cons
short breaks, biweekly pay, hour cuts
Fast paced and fun environment but slow personal growth
Senior Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 29, 2015
Being exceptional at your job while working at TSA has no measure on how quickly you will grow within the company. If you want to get ahead you must be very close with management and in turn they must like you. The District Manager will constantly discuss possible promotions with other managers but will never personally tell you what their plans are for you. So take initiative and tell your managers that you want to be promoted and ask whats required for you to move forward. Takes about 2-3 years to even be considered for Team Leader, but they will take an outside hire with 0 retail experience over you because of convenience, SO MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN.

That being said there's still a lot of room to have fun. Management is very loose with how they handle their employees so you can get away with a lot. Also be very aware if an employee steals because they reward you for it. The Loss Prevention department is very gung ho with catching employees stealing. Best part of the job is working in receiving, early hours and you always have something to do. May be overwhelming at times but its better than having nothing to do, trust me. Nothing makes retail worse than just having to stand around for hours doing nothing.
Great place to work for a younger college student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 19, 2014
The job is always changing and new things are learned about products and a daily basis. If you don't know or cant find out something quick about a product chances are the sale is not going to happen. Days for me consisted of 6-8 hour shifts depending on school schedules. During my time at Sports Authority I have seen numerous employees come through that has given be both promotions from one position to another, and unfortunately back to that old position many times due to high turnover. I have also seen and entirely new management change during my time at Sports Authority. The hardest part about the job has been changing with the management and the hectic and sometimes chaotic pace with all new employee's, the under trained, and under appreciative new employees sometimes got to be stressful. The most enjoyable part of my job is making friends with all the people that have come through the store as well as helping a customer out and having them tell you what great help I have been and seeing them come back and myself remembering them and asking how the product worked out for them. The shocked look on their face of me remembering them and what they bought is priceless.
Pros
discount
Cons
low pay, few hours, and very high turnover rate
productive and fun workplace with cooperative coworkers and supervisors.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 12, 2014
Working at this store has taught me a lot about professionalism and communication skills. I think to do a great job at Sports Authority, you have to always try a different approach at selling and informing the customers about your products and merchandise. Another thing was being able to communicate with the supervisor and coworkers. In terms of a slow and or fast day, it is always a good thing to work together to satisfy customers. The most challenging part about work was balancing everything out, especially on a busy day. But it becomes very enjoyable once you get the hang of things and you become very fast and efficient at everything. I improved on working quickly with my hands. I always enjoyed working at a fast pace when it came to organizing and handling merchandise. The best part about the job was when i worked alone, handling new merchandise that came in packages through truck loads. I unloaded and organized clothing, tags/coils for shoes, got to set things out on the store floor in a way that I thought would attract customers.
Pros
discount on clothing and other items in store, health insurance was provided through the company.
Cons
working on weekends, got shifts that nobody wanted
Fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 23, 2013
Typically your work day revolved either putting out stock or selling/cashiering. The job was easy, I was shown many different types of retail duties ( light merchandising, mark ups/downs, folding etc) and there was always something to do.
Management was pretty awesome, all very easy going and friendly. The general manager ,while I worked there, was hilarious and actually made it fun to go to work. Co-workers were the same idea, all very friendly and fun to work with. Very rarely was it a dull moment; although we all had goals for selling ( that I still don't agree with), the work got done properly and efficiently and I believe that's because of the high morale the managers gave.
The hardest part would be scheduling; although I worked in a mall where it seemed to be an ideal spot of consistent business, Sports Authority is ultimately a luxury store ( with luxury prices) and the business aspect diminished during certain times of the month/season and so hours could not be depended on. Along with the occasional being scheduled close to well before open back to back, those would be the only complaints.
Pros
co workers and managers, able to have a life outside of work
Cons
not consistent hours
Engaging workplace that provides a good foundation
Multiple positions over the years (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 4, 2014
Sports Authority has always been a company about tradition and while they try to stick to that fairly well, it also comes with its weaknesses in holding on to some of the negative traditions as well. But over the last couple of years, there have been great efforts to grow the culture and change some of the old negativity. There tends to be a drive at managing your business to stay off of reports, rather than deal directly with issues which makes doing things the right way hard sometimes. But the people one works with day to day are outstanding and make coming to work a joy.

I have grown with this company over almost the last 10 years, and it has been exciting to see where they are headed in the near future. I hope that the culture inside the company can change along with the sales and marketing changes that they are refreshing the brand with in the coming future.
Pros
ping pong and foosball tables in lunch room, half day friday's in the summer, living near the colorado rocky mountains
Cons
pay isn't super competitive, no strong career building program in place for internal movement, clique atmosphere in some departments
Fun and flexible workplace that relies heavily on customer service.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 2, 2013
I have been with The Sports Authority for 9 years now and have enjoyed being part of this company. As an Operations Manager I am in charge of making sure the store is operationally sound. This entails many different areas which need to be looked after on a daily basis. This includes the store's shrink, payroll, pricing, safety/security, and other areas. I am also in charge of the customer service area which includes monitoring cashiers, phone calls, providing excellent service, and many other responsibilities.

Being in the retail industry has taught me how to interact with people and how to make sure they are highly satisfied when they come into our store. It is very rewarding to see a customer leave the store happy and know that they will come back. Also I have learned many skill sets which include Payroll and Human Resources. I would like to focus on either or both of them for my next career path. With my experience in these two areas, I believe I will have a good foundation and also the skills to learn information that I need. I am very thankful to have been able to hold a job for so long at the same company.
Genuine idea, loss of motivation!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 30, 2013
I loved to shop at Sports Authority so eventually I applied and was hired. The normal day was to clock in and go to your position. This could be an assortment of positions from apparel, cashier, assistant manager, shoes, etc. The main objective is to satisfy customers in finding specific items they are looking for. Then try to up sale warranties,specials, etc. Stocking, facing, cleaning and walking your section is also requested. Some issues of concern are for the lack of safety for employees and customers, this is due to the high volume of theft and the lack of security. When I first shopped at Sports Authority in the mid 2000's they offered high quality products that other stores did not offer. Unfortunately as I worked there the quality of products offered became more main stream and lesser of quality. My favorite part of working at Sports Authority was the ability to sell someone a product that was developed to last and give back beyond what was intended.
Pros
great coworkers, good price points, good customer service interaction.
Cons
poor security measures, lacking of a good training program, no incentive for performance.
fun workplace but not enough room for advancement
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNNovember 29, 2014
At Sports Authority i work as a certified fitness authority. Throughout the day my job is to assist customers and ensure that i get credit for my sales. Each month i have a sales per hour goal that i must meet, this goal is one part of how our store gets graded against other stores in the company. I also get graded on customer service, selling extended coverage plans, and doing online orders for customers. My management overall i would say is average, in my experience working here for over a year and a half i can tell that moving up in the company is a very slow process even for the best employees. My co-workers are all around my age(21) and a fun group of people but overall many are un-motivated at this job. The hardest part of this job in my opinion is getting comfortable with customers, but once you do the job goes smooth, and the most enjoyable part of this job to me is being around all the sporting equipment and teaching younger kids about some of the sports i played to help them get better at the sports.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
not much room for advancement within the company
Easy work for easy money that is if you like favoritism!
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 24, 2013
A typical day at sports authority would be kind of easy, it would all depend on what manager that was there at the time. The customers were great and kind as long as you knew how to help them and knew what you were talking about. I wish I could say that I learned a lot from being there but I really didn't when I first started I was trained by a girl who only had three days left before she quit. Half of the time I was always on the computer taking tests on how to be in retail and how to sell, which was something that was like second nature to me. Management on the other hand was a whole other story. All the managers played favorites with some associates and it showed a little too much. My co-workers knew it and the ones that were the favorite sure took advantage of it. It was like I was in high school all over again. Now these are 30-45ish people acting like children. Sad to say it but the only thing I actually looked forward to was when it was employee appreciation weekend.
Pros
employee appreciation weedend, employee discount
Cons
not an equal place to be for individuals
It will be an great job to work in if management performed better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day in work can be smooth and some days can get really busy. I've learned how to make accomplish sales with customers meaning customers leaving the store happy or with the item they wanted. Through that I've learned great customers service and being able to communicate better with the customers. I get along with all the co-workers there we all work well together. The management isn't the most sturdiest. Schedules are always out of order; there are big gaps in between shifts of the next associate to relief whatever associate is in that department. Which equals customer complaints of why there is never anybody on the floor (makes my hardest part of the job). Managers has no professionalism with customers either, those are so far the only complaints about management. But the best part of the job is meeting new people and being in a the city area. I always loved working in the city. The atmosphere is what makes it better for me.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, discounts, and flexible schedule
Cons
low stock of merchandise and management
Had some ups and downs but not a bad place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJanuary 1, 2016
I worked there for almost 15 years and enjoyed much of my time there. On the up side they do promote from within often. And if you are doing a good job you will be paid well. The store across the state have great people working for them.

On the down side change is always happening at a rapid rate, every year the company changed what the culture is all about and what is important to us. Up or down in sales it did not matter some years it was all about chasing smaller metrics like serves plans and insoles.

I had 6 DM's in my time with the company of which most were fired (pushed out) 5 in the last 8 years. They were normally let go for not doing well in one of the smaller metrics. I actually enjoyed working for almost all of them, I found them to be fair and hard working.

Our district had 10 stores in it, I spent 5 years as a store manager, during which time no less then 30 store managers came and went across the district.

Overall you sell fun things and work with many great people and I made many life long friends in my time their.
Pros
You sell fun
Cons
The change
Would not tell anyone to work here
Senior Sales Authority (Former Employee) –  Springfield, NJOctober 23, 2015
when I first started working here i loved it.. But a few short months later there were multiple manager changes and it continuously got worse. The morale of the store went down because barely anyone enjoyed working there anymore. The current store manager is very rude, unfair, and disrespectful to employees. In the 3 years of my being there I witnessed a great store go to a typical workplace that was not an enjoyable work environment. It is also a very difficult place to make any advancements in. They tell you you will be promoted to senior very soon but do not actually hold up their end for months, close to a year, even though there is space for people to be promoted. There have been 3 store manager changes, 3 co-store manager changes, 7 team lead changes, 5 operation lead changes, 5 receiving manager changes, and a huge amount of store associates. There is no consistency in this store. They don't appreciate their workers and they treat you that way.
Pros
Discount
Cons
poor management, bad environment, difficult to advance
Customer Service Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pineville, NCSeptember 1, 2013
Depending on your department for the day, a typical day at work could include something different. For cashiers, your day is mainly dealing with customer issues and making sure you give excellent customer service. If on the sales floor for the day, helping customers find things that they're for is the main goal. Getting the merchandise put out from the back would be the secondary goal. I have learned to push hard in sales and set goals. Most of the people who work here are cool and laid-back, its a gift and a curse. You get to work at your own pace and do projects in the order you see fit, but sometimes you might be the only person working at all while everyone else is standing around. Management does pretty much what they please, including coming in late and leaving early, leaving things in the store to be done up to lower management and associates. The hardest part of the job is really not being able to move up and the most enjoyable part is everybody is like a family and you get time to enjoy your real family as well.
Productive place with helpful staff.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILAugust 26, 2013
Typical day consists of walking the store and talking with all customers. Asking if they need help locating anything within the store and also explaining out service plans which cover all items if broken. I have learned a lot in the field of customer service. This workplace has taught me who to talk with people and handle various situations. Our management staff is extremely helpful and makes the work place and fun place to be. My co-workers bring the same attitude that my managers do which is positive and up beat which allows for a good working environment. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with customers who may not be the most polite to me but at the same time it has been great experience because it has given me experience to handle any situation professionally. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the satisfaction of helping customers find exactly what they are looking for in a timely fashion.
Pros
receive bonuses for selling any plan offered by the company
Cons
only a part-time position
A fun work place, learning through customer experience.
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 17, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of counting each register's til. A manager and I would open the store up, confirming the accuracy of the money orders and the previous days sales records. I learned how to fill out daily necessary paperwork and how to read the results of the sales goals.

My managers were wonderful people who taught me a lot about manger duties and occasionally let me carry out those duties, under their supervision. As one of the lead cashiers, I was responsible for training new employees and dealing out daily duties for the other cashiers.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with rude customers and dealing with customer complaints. Trying my hardest to comply with Sports Authority rules, but making the customer happy at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was in the morning, when a manger and I would do paperwork while counting each registers til.
Pros
free holiday lunch parties and special recognition for being the stop seller of the day/week.
Cons
short breaks
I have a family, and in retail, its quite hard to find a balance of home life and work. Retailers work when others are off.
Store Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 25, 2014
Typical day - Interacting with both Associates and all customers in building making my presence knowm and introducing myself to break ice for customers.
Learned - Every day my goal was to both learn and teach one specific thing for myself as well as my associates.
Management - 8 total managers aside from myself, worked with every one of them. Three sales managers report directly to me, one GM above me that I report to.
Co-workers - Managers work together for a team enviroment and associates work with us, for us, to reach specific goals/standards daily, monthly, quarterly and annually.
Hardest - Breaking bad habbits of associates beneath me and building a bench for promotion.
Enjoyable - knowing associates would come to me in regards to both work related and non related issues / knowing that I am looked upon as not only a manager but a leader and trusted person for others to come to.
Pros
decent pay / benefits.
Cons
no opportunity for growth.
fun workplace, bad management
Cash lead / Merch lead / Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 3, 2015
Over All this was a fun company to work for, but management crew was unprofessional. a typical day at work consisted of clearing the warehouse and moving everything onto floor while maintaining sales on the floor. I learned many things like working on the back dock, unloading trucks and moving freight. the Coworkers there were awesome, you co workers are team mates and at this job the people under the management staff work very well as a team. The hardest part of the job i'd have to say is just keeping busy. Once I became skilled in every department I flew through my daily tasks and always finished before my time was up. the most enjoyable part of the job was when u had someone come in and they needed something and you were well equipped. you had the knowledge to help them get exactly what they needed. And you get a satisfaction knowing that you actually helped them instead of just giving them a item you were just told to sell.
Pros
amazing employee discount
Cons
Terrible management
Good job for students
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 26, 2013
Sports Authority is not a bad company to work for. In my experience my co-workers and the managers are really nice. I'm a student as well and they make my schedule so it doesn't conflict with my classes which is nice. The starting salary is not a lot but its quite a bit more than minimum wage. On some days they give us cost + 10% discounts which usually is about 50% discount.

Some of the thing's I don't like about working here are the fact that I didn't receive much training when I first started working, they just threw me behind the register. Cashiers are expected to force the loyalty card on customers who don't want it. The cash registers crash regularly and there has been no sign of them trying to get new ones, despite the fact that the store got a re-model a few months ago. The only day we're closed is on Christmas, it would be nice to have other important holidays off like Easter.
Pros
friendly co-workers, flexible schedules, nice employee discounts
Cons
no training, outdated cash registers, not enough holidays