Sports Authority Employee Reviews

Found 1,520 reviews matching the search
Enjoyed my time there
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 20, 2017
Sports Authority was fun and I enjoyed my job. I enjoyed working with customers and assisting them with their questions on sports.
Pros
High energy, great culture
Cons
management
warehouse
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJFebruary 28, 2017
Unloading and loading trucks, learned management of employees in warehouse.The workplace culture was that the customers were most important.
Sports authority was a fair company to work for when it was still around.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEJanuary 31, 2017
I worked at SA seasonally for the holidays, worked the holiday hours that started at 5am and went all the way until midnight..closing and opening...I wouldn't say they didn't care about burning their employees out, but they certainly didn't try very hard to keep them in tip top shape. Our breaks were tracked to the second by a certain manager and if we failed to be on the floor she made sure we were!
Pros
Great discount. Awesome coworkers.
Cons
Short breaks, micromanagement.
could have been better
Senior Sales Authority (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 7, 2016
Management when I was hired was great, but when I left it sucked. I was promoted to Senior Sales Authority in two months, I earned that promotion through learning everything about every department in the store, and being certified in all of the store's departments. After two months of working really hard, I was told the store was closing and then i went from 30+ hours a week to almost half of that, and being stuck on a cash register.
Pros
Sporting goods, promoted, received a raise
Cons
screwed over
Good Team of IT Professionals
Developer II/Web Solutions (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 23, 2016
One of the most collaborative IT departments I've heard of or for whom I've worked. Across merchandise systems, enterprise systems, DBA, security and QA there was never a question that went unanswered. Every group was available to help produce the best, most secure application we could.

Depending on the project, each day started with a scrum to identify where we were at and where we would be tomorrow. When not working on a specific project, I would review existing processes and look for opportunities for improvement. This included online research and training as necessary.

Management styles vary by individual but for the most part our duties were communicated well and we were expected to do our jobs.

The hardest part of the job was when we had to be on call. Providing triage to systems you don't normally work in can be challenging but it does give you a better overall picture of how systems interact.

The most enjoyable part of the job was improving existing and learning new skills. Management always encouraged outside the box thing and learning.
Pros
Good IT team, benefits, volunteer opportunities
Cons
Not always the best collaboration between Merchants and IT
Great team!
Sales Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJNovember 22, 2016
This company was very organized with time management, and had a great staff. Management was very understanding and able to provided great hours. Room for advancement .
Great Place to Work
SOFTLINES MERCHANDISE TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 15, 2016
Great work/life balance, great vacation and medical benefits, lots of room for advancement in the company. Everyone is very friendly and willing to go above and beyond.
Pros
Vacation, PTO time
Cons
Short Lunches
Fun to go to work
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 12, 2016
Work was fun because I love sports. I met a lot of like-minded people and made a lot of good friends. The pay wasn't anything to get excited over but management was great and work/life balance was great.
Great employer with equal opportunities
Hardlines/ Receiving Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Advanced my ability to work with a team and develop team members to prepare themselves for better opportunities down the road. Culture of store was unlike anywhere else I have had the pleasure to work, we were more than a team, we became a family in order to achieve goals and complete the closing of the store.
Pros
Equal opportunity
Cons
Company went out of business
Basic part-time retail job
Sr. Sales Authority (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 27, 2016
This was a part-time job I had during college. Every day I worked I had to make sure customers were finding everything okay, maintain the sales floor, and sell extended coverage plans on applicable product. I learned basic customer service and minor sales skills. My initial store manager ran a tight ship and the work environment was fun. The new store manager and the rest of the management staff were friendly and helpful but did not seem too excited about being at work everyday. The rest of the part-time staff with me were college students who made the work days more fun. The hardest parts of the job were selling the coverage plans and keeping things put away. The best parts were the people and the discount on all the sports equipment.
Pros
Staff, flexible hours, discount
Cons
slow retail, management didn't care too much
Just Ok
Sales Authority (Current Employee) –  La Habra, CAJune 12, 2016
My experience there was generally positive. My coworkers were great. The employee discount was great! Co-workers and managers were always great to work with. The hours were usually good for me and they worked with my school schedule.The pay wasn't good and we (meaning me and the coworkers) never got a raise in the two years I was there. However, it went all down hill when the company first announced bankruptcy and when they started shutting down all the stores. They cut or employee discount and started to become distant with their communications. We didn't even know that the company was going under and they didn't even have the courtesy to tell us that we were losing our jobs.
Pros
Before going out of business: Great discount, flexible hours
Cons
Never advanced in pay or position
Fast paced, fun, challenging work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 28, 2016
Fun place to work, but long hours and married to the job. Upper management had no business making important decisions, which led to the end of the company. People who worked for me were awesome, and I built life long relationships with them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Working long hours
There are worse entry-level jobs out there, but it is not surprising that they are going out.
Sales Authority (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 29, 2016
The company provided virtually no notice of stores closing. They notified employees the day before the massive discounts started. They also provide minimal hours (20ish) to part time employees and only had one full time employee that was not a part of management at my store. Very little chance to move up and very little chance to prove why you should be able to. ~$0.80 about minimum wage pay, no negotiation, regardless of experience.
Pros
flexible, employee discount
Cons
irresponsible upper management, low pay, no chance for advancement
Fun Workplace
Sales Authority (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at sports authority consisted of recovering the floor, greeting & helping every possible guest and offering the points card. I learned a lot working for sports authority things like discipline, communication skills. Management was amazing, if I needed a schedule change they'll comply with me or if I was having an issue it was easy to contact them and speak too. The job & people were very diverse.
fun and relaxed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXNovember 15, 2016
i was a cashier so i didn't have any problems balancing work and life. the work environment was really fun. since it wasn't always busy, all cashiers have a chance to work in different departments to learn more about certain products and what sells. a typical day at work is 4-10ish give or take and it's slow so i'm able to stay on top of cleaning and organizing so as soon as it's time to leave, i'm good to go.

management was relaxed as long as we kept up with cleanliness and customers aren't being neglected.
Pros
relaxed environment, great first job
It was pretty fun and challenging job
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Cooper City, FLSeptember 28, 2016
A normal work day would be somewhat busy but not as bad since my responsibilities as Lead in to oversee all departments and assist employees regarding productivity and performance. I learned what it meant to be a leader and to take on big responsibilities for the company. I got along well with everyone and made sure no rift was forming between anyone. The hardest part was the management aspect since I also had to work with schedules every other week. But my favorite part of the job was seeing my coworkers since they make the day fun.
Pros
Discounts, relaxing atmosphere, and great products
Cons
short breaks, weak commision, no time and a half, low hours.
Supervisor of Soft Lines/Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 7, 2017
Worked for a good crew of management. They were interested in what they could get from the floor associates and wanted to make sure every person got advanced, if that was the desire of the associate.
Pros
family environment
Cons
worked same hours everyday
It was a cool place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CASeptember 22, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and chill with a clean and steady paces environment. I learned about pricing, online ordering, inventory check, sporting goods information, and censoring clothing. Management started really bad, then the store got a new Store Manager and she was awesome! Very organized, friendly, and always open to our ideas and concerns. My coworkers were all great! Everyone was really nice and cool. The hardest part was dealing with the difficult customers and picking up the store at the end while we were closing down. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many good and genuine coworkers and meeting very nice customers that appreciated all that we did for them on the job.
Fun consumer products, enjoyable culture where people award and celebrate sucess.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 24, 2016
Solid opportunity for driven individuals, large company with room for growth. Great work life balance and employee benefits.
Pros
Great Company to Work for !
I will greatly miss working at Sports Authority
Data Integirty Clerk/Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 18, 2016
It will be difficult to find a culture that is similar to Sports Authority, the people really made the company a great place to work. Working there was always a fun and relaxed experience while still maintain a professional atmosphere. Almost everyone working there learned something knew about the systems, business, or their personal lives on a daily basis; having management that wanted to see you succeed at both was incredibly helpful and motivating.
Pros
Lunch and Learn, Volunteer Program, Summer Hours, Blue Jean Casual, Employee Discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

49%