Sports Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,296 reviews matching the search
Fun environment to work in
Sales associate, Cashier, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHMarch 11, 2016
Normally work morning shifts as well as my job in Kohl's. Everyday was taking care of the customer, move all around the store i was never in the same department. In that job i learned how to persuade people to buy things, as well as what they need. Management in my opinion was very poor, towards the other co-workers. Most managers had a lot of problems with eachother and favorites. I'd say the hardest part of my job was learning how to work the new registers. The most enjoyable was seeing all the things they sold there, and those discounts were outstanding.
Pros
Discounts
Other workers are great, job is easy, management is awful
Sales Authority/Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMarch 10, 2016
Selling sporting goods is one of the easiest jobs I have ever done. People come into the store, mostly looking for something specific, and all you have to do is answer a few questions. The coworkers are great, most are very friendly and down to earth. However, the managers are the worst. They pick favorites and will give people shifts they know they cannot work, while giving a few people any shift they want, and they get mad at some people for calling out but for others its no big deal. They are unprofessional and are single handily the reason I decided to leave the company.
Good company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 6, 2016
Very fun company to work for, employees are treated fairly and given many opportunities to advance to the next level. A typical day at work for me as a general manager would include interacting with employees and customers
Pros
Great merchandise, employee discount, interacting with the public
Cons
Busy and fast paced. Always a project to work on or a customer to help.
Sales Lead/ Tech (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 25, 2016
Fast paced and always people to help. From the sales floor to working in the shop there was never a shortage of projects or something to be done or worked on. From the shop to the sales floor. Maintaing inventory to keep sales floor stocked and keeping all tune ups done on time as well.
Love the people and the leadership team
Buyer II (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 26, 2016
It was a great 15 years. I worked with a great group of people who supported each other professionally and personally. I learned best practice for analyzing data, collaboration, strategic development, and much more. My management team was great. We worked hard and built great relationships.
Okay for a simple part-time job
Lead Cashier/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ledgewood, NJMarch 14, 2016
It's an easy job that does not require much. My management experience has been pretty horrible. You are expected to know every department by animated training videos that are a waste of time instead of being physically shown how to work. They focus on the wrong things such as attaching a sock to a shoe purchase shows more importance than if you are a great employee.
Productive, fun, and competitive work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJApril 5, 2016
Good hours that help you communicate with other workers and citizens that walk in and out of the store. Fun, and competitive work environment that help you stay on top of your game during work and help you get incentives.
Pros
Great work environment, great workers discount, and great fellow co-workers
Cons
low salary/wages.
Making the Customers happy and changing the store around.
Soft-Lines Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILApril 13, 2016
Unboxing hanging and censoring clothing. Making sure all racks are full and purified for customers to shop. Customer service is the key. Making sure my staff are prepared to help each customer that walks into our building.
Pros
benefits, floor sets, and the amazing team
Cons
communication
managers are not good with time management
Senior Tech Associate/manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 30, 2016
i was the tennis/bike tech and my managers always would call me in when there was like 10 racquets and ask me to do them in less then 3hrs i tolled them it takes about 30min minimum to do a racquet yet they keeped doing the same thing. so racquets would get done a day later then deadline and i would get in trubble
Productive and fun workplace in a great industry for a sports fanatic
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 25, 2016
At Sports Authority I learned that if you like what you do enough you find ways to overcome adversity such as outdated equipment or systems and find ways to succeed instead of making excuses as to why you can't.
I learned to think outside of the box at a high level, the importance of having great people on your staff and how to relate to a broader range of people when it comes to communicating.
The hardest part of the job for me was seeing the opportunities to improve our service for the company when it came to logistics, systems and technology yet not truly being able to do anything about it, however, the joy of building relationships with the staff and watching them grow over time while still staying connected to sports through customers and future athletes by far trumped the frustrations
Pros
Great atmosphere, sports related
Cons
Old systems and technology
Fun place if you avoid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAMarch 1, 2016
Customer Service
Merchandise out
Make sales
Fun place to work but not if you want hours. Very flexible with schedule but if you got on the head managers bad side you will see your hours cut. You will be lucky if you work once a month. Sales floor associates are fun to talk to and they show you the ropes about everything.
Pros
met some fun people
Cons
pay sucks, managment so uptight, have to fight for hours
Fun place with friendly co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 29, 2016
The management was helpful and co-workers are great. I love sports so being able to work with people that shared the same interest and assist customers in a field I'm knowledgeable about helped me develop the successful selling techniques I continue to use in all my jobs
Great people who became family
Asset Protection (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 13, 2016
Growing up with this company you learn a great deal in building relationships with various departments within the organization and outside of the company. You are encouraged and empowered to be innovative.
Pros
The associates who gives their all
Cons
Going out of business
Busy company to work for.
Cash Lead (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COMarch 31, 2016
Busy days at work! I honed my customer service skills at Sports Authority. My manager was a great guy to work for! My co-workers were equally as amazing as my manager! The toughest part of the job was the occasional disgruntled customer. The most enjoyable aspect of my position was getting to see and talk with my regular customers everyday!
Great company to work for, great people
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2016
Sports Authority was a great place to work for during my time in the HR department. The company is very employee friendly, allowing a nice work/life balance. Everyone I worked with understood the expectation of the job and worked well as a team-ran into very few negative people. The hardest part of the job was all the whispers around the financial status of the company-it was a situation we dealt with normally. However, given all of the uncertainty, I would say Sports Authority was the best work experience I have had in my over 20 year career
Pros
Amazing company discount, scheduling, work/life balance
Cons
uncertainty
Exemplary co-workers, enjoyable environment.
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 27, 2016
Friendly co-workers who engage in teamwork and team building.
Receive apparel merchandise freight and store them in warehouse.
Sort apparel by men/women/children, active/seasonal.
Pros
friendly co-workers and environmentd
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, short lunch, short hours.
fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 10, 2016
Was not very many employees to help out like a team should, managers wouldn't really help employees on the floor when needed. we all had a good time together before the store closed. Was a good family.
Pros
good employees
Cons
no help from managers, needed more employees
Productive and Fun
Hardlines Manager (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 23, 2016
Working at sports authority and been a fun and great learning experience. I owe a lot to the managers that i have had a pleasure to work with. They show me how to be a better manager and then a better person. A typical day at work includes working out freight and taken care of the customers.
Great people to work with, career opportunities,
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  1050 West Hampden Ave Englewood CoJune 30, 2016
Business casual dress code. Flexible hours, some WFH opportunities. Due to the business decision to close down all operations it is difficult to leave behind the people I have worked with and worked for!
Pros
Great people
Cons
They are closing down all operations
Great company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMay 23, 2016
I love working for this company. I have learned a lot for the past 6 months I've been there for. I am now in need of a new job because the company is bankrupt which pushes a lot of loyal employees to find another career.
Pros
Great Break, Discounts
Cons
Going out of Business within 4 months