Sportsman's Guide Employee Reviews in United States

Company went from a great company to poor.
Senior Director of Customer Service & Credit (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Was part of a transformation of an unprofitable company to one that increased profits and sales every year. Fun place to work with an opportunity to be part of change and improvement. New CEO came in and changed everything with no input from present management. Profit fell first then sales lagged in high margin department. Took away fun and involvement and then blamed management for failure.
Pros
Causual dress and discount
Cons
Poor executive team.
they was very strict but i understood why do to the fact that there were always calls in the que
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2016
I learned a lot about the hunting season and the high demands of the ammunition and different cross bows as well as that they sold everything from clothes to pet supplies a very high call volume
Has turned into a corperate zombie company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNFebruary 18, 2016
Sportsman's Guide used to be a great place to work because of the job security, fast paced work and great down-to-earth people. I was a loyal worker who loved my job there. But since last year SG was bought by Northern Tool. Northern Tool is a predatory company that has liquidated and outsourced all the departments, destroying the once great company. As far as I'm concerned it is no longer the company I worked at and loved.

After gutting ours and many other departments, Northern Tool began singling out workers who had been there 10-20 or more years and getting rid of them by any means possible. Laying them off, forcing some into early retirement, accusing them of things that they never did and using coworkers unfounded accusations to bring grievances against them. This happened to nine of my close coworkers, including myself. A despicable corporate tactic.

The people that were rehired where inexperienced, young and not friendly. The work atmosphere went from warm, friendly, family-like, to cold, uncaring and Big Brother-ish with coworkers reporting anything said to HR as an infraction to get ahead. Because of the drastic change many coworkers left on there own, citing it was a miserable place to work and I agreed. I was isolated and unappreciated for my experience and years of hard work. It had become a toxic work environment.

For years I enjoyed the heavy work load and willingly did overtime as needed. I was always busy. After most of my department was let go, the steady work that I had enjoyed for years petered off and management didn't care. I had not only totally
  more... different permitters to work under without review or training (that were never clarified or added to my job description) but they didn't care.

The worst change was in management. Where as the upper management used to be approachable the new management just wants to hash out who is doing more for the company but not HOW to do it. A bunch of egotistical blowhards who have dismantled a once great, money making company.
Pros
Had some great, highly skilled people who are all gone now
Cons
Bought by predator company Northern Tool that destroyed a money making company
Nice place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNDecember 2, 2015
I don't belive that they gave me enough time to get use to the job. They have to understand that neww employee will make mistakes
Pros
Easy to get along with other emplyee
Cons
needs t9o be able to let employee get used to the job
fun and easy
Picker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 27, 2014
picking orders in the warehouse.
to drive a picker lift.
co-workers were nice and helpful.
finding the order number that I never had before or seen.
driving the picker lift.
Ever-changing Policies
Multimedia Contact Agent (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 19, 2014
Not a secure place to work. Work environment is very stressful. Policies change close to monthly, and are changed at company's leisure, and without notice to employees. Management is difficult to deal with regarding employee issues / problems.
Catalog Company
Credit Associate/Statistician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 27, 2014
It was a busy but nice place to work with good learning opportunities.
I loved working for them I just did not like the manager!
customer service call center/telemarketer (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNSeptember 30, 2013
I was a good job, I was comfortable in my job! This manager fired me over things I did not even say! Maybe she was hearing and seeing things! She wasn't very nice!
Pros
good lunches and money enough to pay for them
It was a seasonal call center job
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 29, 2013
It ran more like a sweat-shop atmosphere than a place I'd like to make a career out of. NO positive reinforcement, NO meetings after training. NOT a good experience
Pros
the job allowed me to move to mpls.
Cons
we adhered so much to the clock, our 15 minutes breaks didn't allow for 16 minutes or it was marked against us.
Fast paced In-bound Call Center
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2013
Recieved In-bound calls from customers wanting to order from the catalog. Pitched sales and redirected calls. Offered the ablity to flex- which means being able to go home early when slow and pick up the hours if you wanted
A fun place to work, variety of over the phone contact
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNSeptember 13, 2012
I enjoyed working there, the people were fun, I did well there
Pros
made good money
Cons
had to quit
Job thats not for me.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2012
Inbound order calls, set up orders and set up payments... Shipped out items and set up catalog requests.