Sportsman's Guide Employee Reviews

wack
Credit Specialist and Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNMarch 2, 2017
not a secure job. will let you go and not give reasoning for it. will make changes in department based on things that don't actually help the actual agents in the department do their roles
nice place to learn
Inventory Control Associate (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNSeptember 7, 2016
nice place to learn skills for resume but last place to work for long term, spanish is likely needed to advance and communicate with all employees. some long term employees are disgruntled.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
location for buses
Company went from a great company to poor.
Senior Director of Customer Service & Credit (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Was part of a transformation of an unprofitable company to one that increased profits and sales every year. Fun place to work with an opportunity to be part of change and improvement. New CEO came in and changed everything with no input from present management. Profit fell first then sales lagged in high margin department. Took away fun and involvement and then blamed management for failure.
Pros
Causual dress and discount
Cons
Poor executive team.
Good for establishing sales/customer service esperience
Sales / Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNApril 5, 2016
If you enjoy speaking with people and are pursuing a career in sales or customer service, this is a good place to start. They offer decent pay + commission.
they was very strict but i understood why do to the fact that there were always calls in the que
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2016
I learned a lot about the hunting season and the high demands of the ammunition and different cross bows as well as that they sold everything from clothes to pet supplies a very high call volume
Has turned into a corperate zombie company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNFebruary 18, 2016
Sportsman's Guide used to be a great place to work because of the job security, fast paced work and great down-to-earth people. I was a loyal worker who loved my job there. But since last year SG was bought by Northern Tool. Northern Tool is a predatory company that has liquidated and outsourced all the departments, destroying the once great company. As far as I'm concerned it is no longer the company I worked at and loved.

After gutting ours and many other departments, Northern Tool began singling out workers who had been there 10-20 or more years and getting rid of them by any means possible. Laying them off, forcing some into early retirement, accusing them of things that they never did and using coworkers unfounded accusations to bring grievances against them. This happened to nine of my close coworkers, including myself. A despicable corporate tactic.

The people that were rehired where inexperienced, young and not friendly. The work atmosphere went from warm, friendly, family-like, to cold, uncaring and Big Brother-ish with coworkers reporting anything said to HR as an infraction to get ahead. Because of the drastic change many coworkers left on there own, citing it was a miserable place to work and I agreed. I was isolated and unappreciated for my experience and years of hard work. It had become a toxic work environment.

For years I enjoyed the heavy work load and willingly did overtime as needed. I was always busy. After most of my department was let go, the steady work that I had enjoyed for years petered off and management didn't care. I had not only totally
  more... different permitters to work under without review or training (that were never clarified or added to my job description) but they didn't care.

The worst change was in management. Where as the upper management used to be approachable the new management just wants to hash out who is doing more for the company but not HOW to do it. A bunch of egotistical blowhards who have dismantled a once great, money making company.
Pros
Had some great, highly skilled people who are all gone now
Cons
Bought by predator company Northern Tool that destroyed a money making company
Nice place to work
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNDecember 15, 2015
I had fun working at Sportsman Warehouse. The work was easy and it was easy to get along with the other team member. the hours fit in with my personal lift
Nice place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNDecember 2, 2015
I don't belive that they gave me enough time to get use to the job. They have to understand that neww employee will make mistakes
Pros
Easy to get along with other emplyee
Cons
needs t9o be able to let employee get used to the job
Exciting workplace
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 27, 2014
The company is a good company to work for with fair pay and decent benefits. The company provides a yearly outing for the employees as well as 2 BBQ's yearly. The people I worked with were knowledgeable and very helpful when I needed their support. The management team were always helpful and very supportive. There was nothing hard about the job but very busy during our rush time. Every aspect of the job was enjoyable.
Pros
Family outings, BBQ's, Pot lucks, Easy time off in summer (slow time)
Cons
New hires yearly with little or no knowledge of products or procedures
fun and easy
Picker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 27, 2014
picking orders in the warehouse.
to drive a picker lift.
co-workers were nice and helpful.
finding the order number that I never had before or seen.
driving the picker lift.
Ever-changing Policies
Multimedia Contact Agent (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 19, 2014
Not a secure place to work. Work environment is very stressful. Policies change close to monthly, and are changed at company's leisure, and without notice to employees. Management is difficult to deal with regarding employee issues / problems.
Catalog Company
Credit Associate/Statistician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 27, 2014
It was a busy but nice place to work with good learning opportunities.
Great job with excellent management.
Call Center Sales Associate/customer service. (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNDecember 15, 2013
The works days at "The Sportsmans Guide" consisted of accepting incoming calls to assist customers with their order and/or customer service issues. I learned how to develop my people skills and how to talk to upset customers and have them happy when they got off the phone. I also learned how to provide excellent customer service. All the co-workers were great people, I enjoyed working with all of them. My co-workers were great at helping others when they needed assistance. The hardest part of the job was doing the same thing over and over but you get used to it after five years of doing it. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking on the phone. People are very interesting when you talk to them on the phone. I also enjoyed the work environment and the people definitely a great place to work and develop your skills.
Pros
comission, lunchroom with all kinds of vending. great management.
Cons
2nd shift, no close fast food.
I loved working for them I just did not like the manager!
customer service call center/telemarketer (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNSeptember 30, 2013
I was a good job, I was comfortable in my job! This manager fired me over things I did not even say! Maybe she was hearing and seeing things! She wasn't very nice!
Pros
Good lunches and money enough to pay for them
It was a seasonal call center job
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 29, 2013
It ran more like a sweat-shop atmosphere than a place I'd like to make a career out of. NO positive reinforcement, NO meetings after training. NOT a good experience
Pros
the job allowed me to move to mpls.
Cons
we adhered so much to the clock, our 15 minutes breaks didn't allow for 16 minutes or it was marked against us.
Fast paced In-bound Call Center
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2013
Recieved In-bound calls from customers wanting to order from the catalog. Pitched sales and redirected calls. Offered the ablity to flex- which means being able to go home early when slow and pick up the hours if you wanted
A fun place to work, variety of over the phone contact
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNSeptember 13, 2012
I enjoyed working there, the people were fun, I did well there
Pros
made good money
Cons
had to quit
Its hard physical work but i enjoy what i do.
Warehouse Receiver (Current Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNAugust 27, 2012
I get to work around 5:45 and start the day from there. I start by unloading freight off of a semi trailer and sort the products on to pallets. Then I condense the product in to smaller more manageable boxes and prepare them for storage. I am continuing this process all day until 2:30 in the afternoon when i get off of work. I like the atmosphere and the people i work with. My managers are friendly but old me to a high standard of quality as well as speed of work. The hardest part of the job is the paper work. Unloading and sorting the products is the fun part.
Cons
short breaks
Job thats not for me.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  South Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2012
Inbound order calls, set up orders and set up payments... Shipped out items and set up catalog requests.