SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Chartwells Spring Arbor University
Chartwells Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 18, 2017
I was a student at SAU while I worked with Chartwells. It was a solid job for a student, I was limited to 20 hours a week as a student, which is a fair load for the average student to bare. Chartwells was able to competently adjust to my always changing schedule to allow me to get the hours I need. Work culture was not always fun, with a lot of conflict between the higher ups.
Pros
Meal every time I worked, friendly co-workers
Cons
unclear standards, managerial conflicts
Needed a Change
Custodian Technician (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 17, 2017
I have worked for Spring Arbor University for over fifteen years. I was in charge of the Student Center for over six years. I enjoyed the Faculty, Staff, and Students. Being in a University environment has enabled me to better myself in communication, work ethic, and caring for the University. I have grown in knowledge in office , carpet, and hard floor cleaning. I was highly respected in any building that I was assigned. I have turned buildings around from average cleaning to making them spotless. Other staff and faculty did not not want me to leave the building I was assigned to. I found that some people did not conform to the polices of the University. Even the food service company did not treat me with respect. I felt the University did not help me with my problem and I could not take it anymore. My one main goal at S.A.U was to make it much better than before I was employed there.
Pros
Great caring staff and students.
Cons
Harassment and belittling me from the food service company.
Intern for the
President's Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 2, 2017
They didn't pay nearly enough, but great job. The management and the culture in the President's office was great. Time off is flexible but the pay is too little.
Strong community presence
Spiritual Life Advisor (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMarch 29, 2017
Once a week I had the responsibility of hosting a bible study. Strong community presence within/around the University made it easy to get to know people quickly and effectively cultivate spiritual growth with guys on my floor in the dorm.
Pros
Leadership position, waived cost for some spiritual retreats
Cons
volunteer position
Wonderful place to work with great coworkers
Cross Cultural Studies Office Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMarch 19, 2017
Working here has been a great experience. The staff is great and easy to work with. The pace of the office is a good speed, and their goals are clear and well-attained.
Easy to work for
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJanuary 13, 2017
I was suggested by a professor for the position. The employer was easy to work with. I was given the freedom to set up and organize my own schedule and hours.

I met with the Education student one day a week and we went over the homework assignments for the week and some helpful tips to being successful in class.

The hardest part was understanding exactly the homework expectations without being in the same class.

The most enjoyable part was sharing one of my passions (teaching) with the fellow peer.
Pros
Working in my field
Cons
Only one day a week
Assistant House Manager
Assistant House Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIDecember 6, 2016
Experience was overall very beneficial for a leadership role. The house manager was in charge for the first show to teach what needed to be done, when it needed to be done, and answer any questions. The second showing through the eighth showing the assistant house manager was in charge of the house before, during, and after the show. Some items that needed to be done were selling tickets and the door, handing out play-books before and during the show, running concessions during intermission, and cleaning the house after each showing. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the rush of people approximately a half hour before the show started to buy tickets.
Great for students.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MINovember 7, 2016
Essentially, this gives students the opportunity to put their foot in the door and have a little bit of either clerical, food, or other types of work experience so they can put something on their resume.
Office Experience
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIAugust 9, 2016
During a typical week, I go into the office a couple of times a week to help our Sports Information Director with whatever he needs help with. Some of those tasks include making photo galleries and updating records or biographies for athletes of various sports teams. Whenever there is a time I can not make it for reasons such as golf tournaments or upcoming tests, my boss is very understanding and realizes that I live a busy life. The other workers in the athletic office always come in and say hello with smiles on their faces. It's a very friendly environment, and everybody gets along very well.
The hardest part about the job is maintaining a balance between work and other activities in my life. Overall, I have learned time management better as my college career has progressed. Again, one thing I really enjoy about the job is being around such happy people who care about each other. It makes work and life so much better just being surrounded by selfless people.
Pros
Fantastic Co-Workers, Flexible Hours
Cons
Positive and professional place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJuly 12, 2016
A day as a Teacher's Assistant was quite easy. I would go to my classes like any other day, and once there were papers which needed to be graded, the Professor I worked for would email me, and I would go pick them up. She would give me a deadline for the papers, usually within a week, and I would have that amount of time to grade them and get them back to her. At this job I learned how to communicate with others and how to manage my time.
Flexible Hours
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJune 25, 2016
Flexible hours, good supervising faculty, easily manageable requirements and clear expectations. Enjoyable environment and good working conditions, along with efficient systems and technology.
Good!
Head Track and Field Throws Coach (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJune 24, 2016
Good place to start moving in the right direction, but needs more financial resources for Sports. Coaches are underpaid, and not grad courses are supplemental yet.
Productive and learning enviorment
Lieutenant of Campus Safety (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor MichiganMarch 29, 2016
This job allows you to put together skill sets and sets a firm foundation to learn more in your field under helpful guidance.
The most enjoyable part of the job.
custodian tech (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMarch 25, 2016
Being able to work with great people. I am blessed to be able work with other departments and to see what I can do for them. I like a challenge to see what is wrong to make it right. I feel that my communication skills are the key to a successful work environment. I like the fact that that I can "wow" people when my buildings are immaculate. I represent Spring Arbor University and I impress perspective new students, their parents, other staff, faculty, and board members. Hard work and dedication to my job is the key in making the University stand out above the rest.
Pros
Great work environment and show my skills in what I do
Cons
Fear of losing my job, cutting my pay and benefits, and more budget cuts
Great workplace
President's Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJune 14, 2015
I had a great experience working at Spring Arbor University as a student intern to the Office of Admissions. I gained valuable experience that will help me in the future.
Supportive Environment In Which To Learn New Skills and Improve Current Skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, PAApril 30, 2015
I completed tasks as asked and met deadlines.I exhibited teamwork and cooperation by communicating with my boss and his assistant throughout projects. I displayed attention to detail when entering data into an Excel spreadsheet from the bibliographic management software program Zotero. developed sharp writing and editing skills by writing annotations of 50 words or less for each source found in my assigned folders for an annotated bibliography. I developed data coding skills by categorizing interview for a curriculum redesign according to coding categories. I displayed self-motivation and ingenuity by being given raw data and figuring out the best way to organize it.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Hours varied per week based on work available
Good work environment
Student Custodian (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIApril 1, 2015
Easy work, but time consuming. A bit repetitive, but my co-workers were fun to work with. The Dining Commons workers would notify last minute about meetings or groups that were present while working.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Minimum wage and small hours
Stressful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2015
New management that does not communicate well. Enrollment still on decline. All makes for stressful work environment.
University Guide (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIJanuary 6, 2015
Spring Arbor is a positive environment to work in that seeks to take good care of its employees. There are great staff and a sincere community. It may not pay the best but you will be hard pressed to find more genuine and kind employees. Like all Christian institutions, moving forward with new ideas can sometimes be difficult but Spring Arbor remains fairly open and accepting.

A day of work for me consisted of tours, lunch meetings, call nights, office work, and other various tasks.

I was a student worker so my job looked different. My most difficult part was having to work on a few random weekends. I had to be prepared to work extra if needed.

The most enjoyable part was building relationships with my coworkers whether students or full time staff.

Management genuinely cares about the employees.
Pros
people, management, environment
Cons
slow to change, in need of some changes
great place to work!
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMay 7, 2014
Job is very hands on with great interaction with athletics. management is very approachable. In additions co-workers are also friendly and always looking to help! The biggest issues are those that come from athletes and attitude towards different situations. However it is great knowing in the end you had a part in helping them reach their potential!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3