Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

smooth
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 12, 2018
It was pretty smooth. Just didn't like the way administration handled situations with students. I decided to leave because I refuse to watch anyone be mistreated.
Great People Working REALLY Hard
Assistant Manager/Cook (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 9, 2018
I loved my job with SPS, in the sense that I met wonderful co-workers and students. A typical day was spent working in a kitchen that was severely understaffed, and multiple kitchens in the district were run the same way. The nutrition service management was extremely lacking, but individual Kitchen Managers were going above and beyond there job descriptions and pay grade to make sure food service for their school ran smoothly. Hardest part of the job was not being compensated for the amount of work we were actually doing.
Pros
School Holidays off
Cons
Conpensation
Fast pace
Sub Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL 62704February 9, 2018
First thing in the morning had to count all food to be given out for the day. Had to cook and prepare food to be served at lunch, set up the area you were working in, at noon had to be prepared to serve 3 different shifts of lunch times had to serve the students. Afte rlunch was time to clean the kitchen and the work area you were stationed.
no work in august
Help the driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 2, 2018
When I first started working we were getting like 37 hours a week. They cut it down a couple of years . In August there is no work and makes it hard on people that depends on the work.
Pros
non
Cons
non
Great management
MATH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 31, 2018
Working as a math tutor. Everyone collaborated together and discussed different techniques to help the children learn the skills needed for MCAS. The tutors worked with a small group of students to zone in on more individualized struggles.
Competitive
Computer Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 30, 2018
I learned how to be attentive to behavior management and the daily typical work flow for students.
The hardest part of the job is to accommodate costly materials for special needs children.
Excellent place to be
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 24, 2018
I worked there on and off as a Para and then with an outside organization. If you love students and being in a position to influence, don't hesitate to apply. Every job has its challenges but this one is well worth it if you want to be a positive influence on the city's youth. Go for it!
Pros
Working with our young leaders
Cons
Adult egos
Springfield was a typical Urban district that was quock paced and stressful
Director of Secondary Education (Former Employee) –  Springfield IlJanuary 22, 2018
The management in Springfield did not support in-house advancement and kept salaries frozen for 3 years. Things are better there now becaiuse of new leadership
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
frozen salaries
Teaching Hispanic middle scool students.
ESOL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 18, 2018
Teaching in Spanish students from Center and South America. Worked in middle school in grades 6th, 7th and 8th. The big mayority population was hispanic.
No former experience
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 14, 2018
I was not taught how to deal with children with Autism. Teachers made matters worse. The children knew they could get away without doing their work. One child threw a desk, stabbed me with a pencil. And nothing was done about it.
Pros
Summer vacations
Cons
Teachers who didn't want to do their jobs.
well staffed, good compensation
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 8, 2018
Substitute teaching for Springfield Public Schools was an enjoyable experience. Teachers left appropriate materials for the substitutes. My concern would be about the lack of information given concerning working with special needs students who had multiple health limitations- a job more applicable to a nurse but given to substitute teachers.
Great workplace with relaxed atmosphere
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 11, 2017
SPS is a great place to work with great benefits. Though they don't offer tuition reimbursement, they do push for professional development. Employees are urged to get certifications and attend conferences that are paid for by SPS. Atmosphere is getting more laid back with more casual dress, stand-up desks, open work environment, and ping-pong tables. This review applies to the IT department only.
Pros
great benefits and retirement. great professional development
Great work place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 20, 2017
Great place to work. All staff is friendly and reliable. The manager is amazing and works well with her staff. It's a very comfortable work environment.
Great
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 17, 2017
Working with children and staff. I learned a lot about dealing with children with mental health issues. Management is supportive. Off for state holidays.
Productive and Successful Education
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 6, 2017
Woke up with a smile on my face knowing that today is going to be a good day. Arriving to work seeing all of the tired children's faces. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing the children and their family connection towards one another.
Pros
Breaks. Restroom Breaks.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 4, 2017
This was a great job to earn a paycheck to pay bills. I did what I needed to do and they in return paid me for my services. I liked what I did and felt like I was a contributor to society.
Exciting!
Substitute Teacher/Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 2, 2017
I loved working with the Youth in the School System. It was very rewarding. My typical day included Coaching and Mentoring. I coached and mentored military veterans and now turned professional athletes.
Working for Springfield High School
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHOctober 21, 2017
When I worked for Springfield high School I experienced a lot of things like taking mail to the class room, answer phones, working with other people. It was a great experience for m
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Pleasant experience over all
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield MOSeptember 28, 2017
Good to Excellent employer. Supportive assistance. Effective classroom rules and routine. Effective school discipline which backs the teachers. Pleasant environments.
Challenging but exciting
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 15, 2017
Challenging but exciting school environment. Everyday is different. School environment can be rough, but the day is never dull. Students are a challenge. Days can be long and exhausting.