Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

I advise all future teachers to run
Speech Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 3, 2017
I worked for Springfield Public Schools for ten years and it was a nightmare. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you know someone or are willing to sleep around. A group of orangutans could run this school system better than the current Superintendent and his joke of a cabinet. I've watched talented people leave Springfield Public Schools while incompetents stay and run the the system into the ground. The true losers are the students who are not receiving a quality education.
Pros
Cons
everything
The city high school where I worked was well run by a great Principal.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 1, 2017
Although the inner city had many students with special needs, the administration of the school handled the challenges very ably. My age helped and hurt me. I was able to relate to the minority students since I was one of the first African-American teachers hired and right out of college. When I wanted a chance to teach English to Honors students for some of my day, I was not afforded the opportunity since a more seasoned teacher held that position for herself solely.
Pros
Great staff and principal
Cons
Pay was low in comparison to other jobs in education..
Struggling due to ineffective leadership
Teacher (Former Employee) –  various schoolsOctober 9, 2016
While elementary schools are an area of relative strength in Springfield's public schools, in general the schools are underfunded and poorly managed. Middle- and high-school students struggle with knowledge and skill deficits. Many have behavioral issues and do not find school to be a welcoming, caring place. Money that should be available to reduce class sizes and add support staff such as guidance counselors and paraprofessionals is often funneled to expensive and ineffective computer-based intervention programs. The district and building-based administrators do not behave as if they value staff, students, and families.
Demoralizing Workplace
Junior Custodian (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 5, 2016
Relatively simple job, but be prepared to be treated like dirt. Management thinks very little of employees and spends far more time trying to "catch" employees doing something wrong than looking for ways to place employees in position to succeed.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Toxic work environment.
Under-funded School System
ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 6, 2017
Springfield public schools are under-funded to the point that the learning process is undermined. Buildings are old and in need of repair and office supplies are insufficient to meet teachers' needs.
Pros
Great Staff!
Cons
Extreme work conditions
Very good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield oregonJanuary 19, 2017
I've been driving school bus for Springfield school district for several years. I enjoy driving and the interaction with the kids on my bus and my coworkers
Pros
Good benefits, retirement
Cons
Summers off.
Decent
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 15, 2016
Working for a public school system could be challenging but ultimately it could also be a rewarding experience if you manage to achieve an acceptable discipline level in the classroom.
Absolutely the dream job for me, it is what you make of it!
Lead Tutor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 30, 2016
As my review summary states, working in a Springfield public school is an absolute dream job for me. It does come with many obstacles, poorly behaved students, lack of support from admin, the usual just to name a few, however, I genuinely wake up every morning ready to teach and infect and mold young minds for the good. I absolutely love it.
Pros
Finally having that one child that struggled all year succeed.
Cons
Lack of teamwork and admin support
Nice job but not much to progress.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 29, 2016
I help the teacher and students in daily activities and classes. I used to translate for parents at meetings. I did mediation during escalated situations.
Lack of Support from admunistrators.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 26, 2016
There is a very low level of support from administrators. Pay is low compared to school districts in other states. Too many students in classrooms and not enough support for inclusion and ELL students.

Want to know more about Springfield Public Schools?

Ask a question
High expectations of students and staff
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 22, 2016
I work with a dedicated faculty and staff and we also keep the child's best interest at heart. Supportive administrative staff. we work well as a multi disciplinary team.
Shortage of teachers leads to various placements
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 24, 2016
I worked at the High School of Science and Technology, and it was a very difficult place to teach. I thought the students were delightful and they displayed typical adolescent behavior, this was not a problem.

However, I had an administrative issue. I was repeatedly placed and evaluated for positions I was not qualified to teach.
Wonderful place to work
Substitute Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 20, 2016
the management and co-workers are execlent. the hardest part of the day is watching the children closely to maintain good line flow, everyday you get to see all of those smiles as the children pick out their food.
Math Teacher
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 10, 2016
Working in the Springfield Public school taught me how to deal with different kinds of people, It also gave me the experience in learning how to manage different people with there on agenda.
Its ok
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 8, 2016
You can work hard and get the same pay as someone who works very little. It is a good place to start you learn how to move at a fast
pace. There are some great people that work there.
Cons
shorts breaks
School Bus Driver
Customer Service and child safety (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 2, 2016
It was a typical school bus driving position. I enjoyed the job very much but this company did not have accommodations for employee's own children's transportation nor could we bring our children with us and transport our own children to school after transporting other students; it simply was not allowed like other smaller schools. And my children's transportation to school needs to happen as well.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Does not accommodate employee's children's transportation
Interesting place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2016
Working for the Springfield Public School system is a very challenging yet rewarding place to work. The people I work with are very helpful, they push you to want more. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the students.
Springfield Public Schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 31, 2016
I worked for them for 13 years and I learned a lot of stuff about the Alternative Setting in the Springfield Public Schools. I worked as a an paraprofessional in an Alternative Setting. Also a teacher in a classroom with social, emotional and behavior children.
Pros
Helps children who are not succeeding in the regualr setting.
Cons
When things change without notice.
Small district
Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJApril 14, 2016
Lots of unusual behaviors in this school district, not all of which are standard or professional. Like any district, some good people working hard to improve the opportunity for kids.
Pros
Near I78
Cons
Special Services could be better organized.
my dayly work
Spanish and ELL teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield , MAMarch 28, 2016
A day having the opportunity to help children learn a new language and a new culture, giving them the chance to integrate into a new nation and helping the parents to do the transition.
Pros
sharing with children
Cons
not enough time to set the academic knowledge they needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Springfield Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.