Springfield Public Schools

Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

I fully enjoyed working for Springfield Public Schools
Autism Behavior Technician Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, MOJune 8, 2015
I learned a lot working as an Autism Behavior Tech. I was given great direction while also given room to create optimal behavior plans. I worked directly under an Autism Specialist/Process Coordinator and she was terrific. The benefits were great and the special ed department was organized.
fair
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Springfield, MAMay 2, 2015
Pros: salary not too bad
Cons: difficult to obtain requirements to obtain education license. stressful
The work day can be stressful depending on student classroom behavior,

Training is good and there is plenty of opportunity to learn.
Excellent working environment.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Springfield, MOApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great working environment, good management, and doing my job with little or no supervision.
Cons: The number of hour were too few.
I was able to take pride in that people put their trust in me to safely transport their children to and from school. Anytime issues of any type would arise, management was always supportive and worked with you to fix the situation. Having many students in such a small area could at times be stressful, but creating trusting relationships with them and them learning that you were there for them made the job very enjoyable.
Springfield Public Schools is a decent place to work;however, the benefits are expensive for spouses.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Springfield, MOApril 17, 2015
Springfield Public Schools is a decent place to work; however, the benefits for spouses are expensive and the pay is low.
upbeat and active environment
Physical Education Permanent Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Springfield, MAApril 1, 2015
I enjoy waking up knowing I am going to work in a field in which I can work with and develop youth through Physical Education. I love the aspect of working with other co-teachers in planning and implementing physical education curriculum (sports, games, etc.).
productive
Internship Student (Former Employee), Springfield, MAMarch 18, 2015
productive environment from interacting with other students to learning new things and taking on projects really helped to get started with hands on work
The transportation department at Springfield Public Schools is a good place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Springfield, MOFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: they are flexible to a degree. the people you work with are friendly.
Cons: a six hour work day takes up 12 hours of your day, the insurance is outrageously expensive, the pay is low.
In the transportation department at SPS your work day usually starts around 6 AM to 6:30 AM. The coworkers are all around good people to work with. However, there are a few to steer clear of. Management is typical. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the traffic on the streets. There are a few employees that are difficult to get along with; however, if you do not focus on these few individuals working for SPS Transportation can be a pleasurable experience. The most enjoyable part of my job is having an influence on the kids that ride my bus.
Friendly, learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Springfield, MAFebruary 10, 2015
I followed lesson plans left by teachers. I also taught, assisted, and helped students in elementary subjects. I learned to be patient and I learned a lot of leadership skills. The co-workers were all helpful and friendly in each school i worked.
Great job.
UTILITY WORKER (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 19, 2015
Good job with good benefits. Not much room for advancement, but job security was good.
My building consists of dedicated teachers who are fun to be around.
Math Teacher (Former Employee), Springfield, MONovember 9, 2014
Pros: the freedom to leave during my plan time on occasion if i need to.
Cons: short lunch, the constant demands of the job that have little to do with teaching
My job officially begins each day at 7:30. I have a about 20 minutes of plan time if I don't have a morning supervision duty I have to be present for.

I teach 5 classes between 8 and 2:45. I have a little less than 30 minutes for lunch.

We have team meeting for one period every day and we meet with administrators during this time once a week.

The hardest part of the job is motivating students who don't want to be there.

The most enjoyable part of the day is being with students.
Wonderful educational atmosphere
Para Educator (Former Employee), Springfield, ORAugust 31, 2014
Great place to work, very supportive and offers ongoing educational opportunities.
Overall, a good place to work.
Teacher (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 2, 2014
Pros: majority of students receive free breakfast and lunch
Cons: large class size
District 186 is committed to excellence in education for all students.
Loved working for the City of Spfld. Schools System
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJune 18, 2014
Pros: i got to work w great people and add many skills to my profile.
Cons: never should of put furthering my nursing to become rn on hold.
I worked w pre-school children, actually a blind 5 yr. old girl, and some days were busy, i worked w 2-3 different therapists a day to screen this child. and I knew her best so they worked around my observations, my co- workers were great it was a new school to me and they welcomed me w open arms. and I enjoyed working w the children , Im also a para(teachers assistant so i got to cover classes when the the teacher was absent and got paid well. got to sit on in ela meetings about was services certain children needed. so the most enjoyable thing were the children. and the hardest part of the job was to say goodbye!
Lot of drama
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJune 2, 2014
Pros: meeting new people every year and making lots of friends.
Cons: short breaks and expensive healthcare.
A typical day walking in the halls at the high school I worked at involved being around a large diverse of students. I learned to be patient, don't let the kids push your buttons, and pick your own battles. Staff worked well together even though we had little support from the administrators. One of the hardest parts was the drama, hearing lots of cussing, and the disrespect from the students. It seems like parents are looking for a reason to complain about a teacher. I did enjoy seeing individuals reach their goals and have daily accomplishments.
Working with emotional and behavior disorder students in a challenging but rewarding environment.
Behavior Technician Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMay 6, 2014
I take target behavior data on students who are having difficulties in their classrooms. I summarize the data, help create a behavior intervention plan, and then teach the staff at the school how to properly implement the BIP. After implementation the BIP is adjusted for optimal performance and then I would move on to another student. I also am trained to physically intervene should a student escalate and need to be physically restrained because they were hurting themselves, others, or damaging school property. This job's perks include anonymity, some travel time between schools during the day and getting to see when students succeed. Some con's to this job are very little initial training, having little support in the building, and dealing with repetitive dangerous and destructive behaviors.
Springfield Public School Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Springfield, MOApril 1, 2014
Pros: i was able to work at a different school everyday.
Cons: no job security.
I learned how to a different class everyday. Hardest part of the job was being a substitute because no one likes to obey when the students have one.
I love working in the class room with the students.
Certified Nurses Assistant (C.N.A) (Current Employee), Springfield, MAMarch 21, 2014
A typical day at work is helping the students with adl's and helping teacher with other class room activites. I work very well with my co-workers.
I enjoyed working this volunteer front desk position.
Volunteer, Front Office, Kickapoo High School (Former Employee), Springfield, MOFebruary 28, 2014
As a front des office volunteer, I loved working with people and was very good at prioritizing needs. This was a great job is you are a people person, and I am exactly that. I answered phones, directed calls, helped students with questions, and worked on any extra projects that the office staff needed help with.
Springfield Public Schools Is a good place to work
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee), Springfield, MOFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: the communications
Cons: disciplinary
I enjoyed enter acting with my employees, Lots of hard work, I put in an average 50 hrs. weekly. The harest part of my Job was to fire someone. But I really injoyed the people
Professional Learning Community
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee), Springfield, MO 65803January 9, 2014
Pros: continuous professional development, wide variety of course options offered to all students
Cons: salaries are low for the area
SPS is a well oiled machine geared at improving the educational opportunities of all of it's students and faculty.

Springfield Public Schools Salaries