Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

School Bus Driver
Customer Service and child safety (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 2, 2016
It was a typical school bus driving position. I enjoyed the job very much but this company did not have accommodations for employee's own children's transportation nor could we bring our children with us and transport our own children to school after transporting other students; it simply was not allowed like other smaller schools. And my children's transportation to school needs to happen as well.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Does not accommodate employee's children's transportation
Family of Hard workers
It Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 10, 2016
Springfield public schools was the best career opportunity i have had, as a student fresh out of school they taught me so many things to advance my knowledge. Especially a field tech you encounter new problems everyday with different people. They taught me about quality of work and how to communicate with others about there situation and the steps to solving the problems. Eventually i was placed out on my own and got nothing but excellent feedback from my clients and co workers. The most difficult part of the job was believing in myself but that shorty diffused after positive feedback, unfortunately the job was temporary. However after my planned time they asked me if I was interested in a extension which i heard wasn't common so i take that as a compliment in my work.
Pros
Mileage, Great staff
Cons
temporary job
Absolutely the dream job for me, it is what you make of it!
Lead Tutor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 30, 2016
As my review summary states, working in a Springfield public school is an absolute dream job for me. It does come with many obstacles, poorly behaved students, lack of support from admin, the usual just to name a few, however, I genuinely wake up every morning ready to teach and infect and mold young minds for the good. I absolutely love it.
Pros
Finally having that one child that struggled all year succeed.
Cons
Lack of teamwork and admin support
Springfield Public schools needs to improve on the consequences for grades 1-8
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hickory Hills Middle SchoolMay 9, 2016
The school system in Springfield needs to improve how they deal with students in grades 1-8. Students are passed on from grade to grade regardless of whether they have passed classes or not.

I feel this is so unfair to the students. They feel that the first 8 grades don't really count because they are not held accountable. Once they enter High School they have to acquire credits in order to progress. They are many times not prepared academically because they have never been held accountable.

The culture of each school is dependent on how strict or lax the principal is. If the students do not respect the principal they will not respect the teachers.

Springfield does not seem to buy in to Professional Learning Communities which is a detriment because much learning is lost because teachers are not sharing their knowledge.

The hardest part of the job has been not knowing what is expected of me until I do things wrong. There needs to be a handbook or something to tell about what the expectations and procedures are for the school.
Pros
close to home, enough planning time.
Cons
no consequences for students under 8th grade
Shortage of teachers leads to various placements
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 24, 2016
I worked at the High School of Science and Technology, and it was a very difficult place to teach. I thought the students were delightful and they displayed typical adolescent behavior, this was not a problem.

However, I had an administrative issue. I was repeatedly placed and evaluated for positions I was not qualified to teach.
Wonderful place to work
Substitute Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 20, 2016
the management and co-workers are execlent. the hardest part of the day is watching the children closely to maintain good line flow, everyday you get to see all of those smiles as the children pick out their food.
Lack of Support from admunistrators.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 26, 2016
There is a very low level of support from administrators. Pay is low compared to school districts in other states. Too many students in classrooms and not enough support for inclusion and ELL students.
my dayly work
Spanish and ELL teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield , MAMarch 28, 2016
A day having the opportunity to help children learn a new language and a new culture, giving them the chance to integrate into a new nation and helping the parents to do the transition.
Pros
sharing with children
Cons
not enough time to set the academic knowledge they needed
Springfield Public Schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 31, 2016
I worked for them for 13 years and I learned a lot of stuff about the Alternative Setting in the Springfield Public Schools. I worked as a an paraprofessional in an Alternative Setting. Also a teacher in a classroom with social, emotional and behavior children.
Pros
Helps children who are not succeeding in the regualr setting.
Cons
When things change without notice.
Math Teacher
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 10, 2016
Working in the Springfield Public school taught me how to deal with different kinds of people, It also gave me the experience in learning how to manage different people with there on agenda.
Interesting place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2016
Working for the Springfield Public School system is a very challenging yet rewarding place to work. The people I work with are very helpful, they push you to want more. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the students.
High expectations of students and staff
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 22, 2016
I work with a dedicated faculty and staff and we also keep the child's best interest at heart. Supportive administrative staff. we work well as a multi disciplinary team.
Its ok
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 8, 2016
You can work hard and get the same pay as someone who works very little. It is a good place to start you learn how to move at a fast
pace. There are some great people that work there.
Cons
shorts breaks
I fully enjoyed working for Springfield Public Schools
Autism Behavior Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 8, 2015
I learned a lot working as an Autism Behavior Tech. I was given great direction while also given room to create optimal behavior plans. I worked directly under an Autism Specialist/Process Coordinator and she was terrific. The benefits were great and the special ed department was organized.
Excellent
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 1, 2016
I worked with the Interpreters and Teachers of the Deaf as we rotated through the different classes and grade levels. I loved being able to work with so many students as we had around 11 students and Interpreted for each of them daily. We also Interpreted for a few Deaf parents. I loved the variety of Interpreting experiences I gained here. I enjoyed Interpreting for the Resource classes as well, and programs after school such as Martial Arts, and Recycling Club. The music program was great too and I was able to Interpret in a music class specific to our Deaf students, and also some in the mainstream music class. One student who needed Sign Support even made honor choir and I Interpreted for him during practices and performances.
I also learned how to lead workshops for other Interpreters as this was something we did ofter for professional development.
No one could compare to how great my co-workers were. I loved everyone at the school I worked at and also the Interpreters at other schools. It was hard to leave because everyone I worked with both co-workers and students were fantastic. The hardest part was that we had so many students with a need for more Interpreters. Also pay was not comparable to the National Standard or even surrounding areas. Those were my main reasons for leaving the district however it was a hard decision because everyone made this one of my most memorable jobs Interpreting.
Pros
Environment and Co-workers
Cons
pay and not enough Interpreters for the workload
Small district
Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJApril 14, 2016
Lots of unusual behaviors in this school district, not all of which are standard or professional. Like any district, some good people working hard to improve the opportunity for kids.
Pros
Near I78
Cons
Special Services could be better organized.
Fun work place with positive and enjoyable people
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 7, 2016
Very busy
more about the springfield school system
co workers are really fun to be around; everybody gets along with everybody
there is no hard part about this job
most enjoyable part is talking to customers
Substitute teaching in the Springfield District
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 9, 2012
A typical work day is of course the same hours as a regular teacher which is nice, but you are constantly doing classroom management, which is not so- good unless you have an assignment which is fairly longterm. What I have learned is that it is far better to be a salaried employee with benefits and a team of people that stand behind you for the most part. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you actually get a chance to help out a student.
Pros
work hours/ prep time is complete off time usually
Cons
1.absolutley no benefits
fair
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 2, 2015
The work day can be stressful depending on student classroom behavior,

Training is good and there is plenty of opportunity to learn.
Pros
salary not too bad
Cons
difficult to obtain requirements to obtain education license. stressful
Great Place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 27, 2015
This at the time was one of the best jobs I have ever held. Working with a great staff of coworkers and management was rather easy to please.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Little great time always on call while at work.