Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

enjoyed teaching different scholatic subjects
SSV Tutor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 23, 2017
Very fulfilling job working with students achieve better grades in scholastic courses. Staff was very friendly and family orientated. Enjoyed the different challenges each day.
Pros
fellow staff members
Cons
no school cancellation day pay
Best part of being a teacher is helping children to find their potential
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 19, 2017
I spent 31 years teaching children. I created memories to last a lifetime. Getting to know families and teaching siblings was so much fun.

The ability to go into a classroom and actually work with the children was amazing. To see the light in their eyes when they understood a concept was priceless.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Faculty meetings
having fun with kids everyday with summers off
Boys Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 17, 2017
I absolutely love working with children. I love the educational environment, teaching and learning new things. During my time at the School I learned a lot about classroom management, and the most effective ways to maintain a functional classroom. The hardest part of the job was the struggle to find employment for the summer when it was needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching children succeed in their most challenging areas.
Pros
summers and vacations off
Cons
the wage, and the lack of dental insurance.
Educational advancements, fine, professional colleagues. Supportive professional development
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 17, 2017
Educational opportunities for PARAPROFESSIONALS Appropriate training, weekly staff meetings for work and student improvement.
Professional environment, supportive, kind and caring staff Enjoyed friendly respectful environment. Good people positive mentors
Yearly courses for college and classroom improvement
Pros
Summer employment, fun, lovely people year round .
Cons
Would have enjoyed more hours
High Expectations
Jeffries Elementary Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield Public SchoolsJune 14, 2017
SPS has high expectations for it's teachers and students, which is a really wonderful thing. If you enjoy a challenge and love kids, this is a great place to teach. The hardest part about being here is that, like so many schools, students are not issued discipline. They can do as they please, and there are no repercussions for their behaviors. The best part is the sense of community and relationships with colleagues and the community.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Admin doesn't handle discipline
Paraprofessional
substitute paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, NJJune 13, 2017
Springfield Public Schools treats their staff very well and the children are amazing and fun to work with. ABA therapy is a huge part of the Sprout program.
Communication was a joke
ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJune 8, 2017
My job was constantly changing. My principals would not even know of these changes. A large percentage of the teachers were looking to relocate jobs when I did.
Good workplace
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 8, 2017
It was good working as a paraprofessional here early on, but as the years progressed we lost a lot of our benefits and it was difficult to maintain my position and pay my bills at the same time.
Teacher Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 10, 2017
I am not the person to rate our current school district. The administrators require teachers to focus on the MAP testing and that takes all the fun out of molding the minds of our kids. I retired as a teacher to follow my passion of yoga.
Great Office
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 9, 2017
Great place to learn about the inner workings of government and to help the people of the first district of Massachusetts. The staff is very helpful and allows employees to grow.
Relational experience with a variety of young people
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverbend ElementaryMay 9, 2017
Starting the day seeing smiling faces is the best! Getting to watch the kids in their work from day to day and see their successes, is so wonderful. Some days there are tests and others there is time to just listen to them read.
The different knowledge levels don't matter when you have conversations with the kiddos as real people. I truly love being able to get to know them.
It may be hard on days when they feel we don't really care for them. You push through and focus on the positive days or moments.
Pros
Always going to have someone to talk to
Cons
Don't know what kind of negative words will be said or actions could be taken
Too many inconsistencies with administration
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldApril 20, 2017
We are told to do one thing, and then when we do, we are told it was wrong. Too stressful with the population of students and behaviors. I love the job itself, it is very rewarding, but there is not enough support from administration and way too much favoritism.
Pros
Loved my kids
Cons
Too much stress
Not for the faint of heart, but a heartfelt job
SPED Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 19, 2017
Working within a public school within an inner city brings with it many challenges, but also many rewarding experiences and relationships with the youth. Be prepared for each day to be different, to confront many different challenging situations, but above all to give a lot of yourself away and focus on the main objective; the students. The job can be stressful if you don't have a release valve outside of work and the relationships with your colleagues can be strained if you don't make the effort to collaborate and seek support in order to work together successfully.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Lack of growth opportunity
Productive work place
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 6, 2017
Maintain PowerSchool Technology with updated pupil information.
Performs work processing, excel, typing and proofing of letters documents and memoranda, of more than average difficulty from clear copy, rough draft, recording machines or data personally developed.
Welcome visitors, respond to their inquiry, and/or directs them to the appropriate person.
Operate faxes, emails through Outlooks, and copying machines to duplicate various forms, bulletins and notices.
Answer telephones, take, and messages for the Principal.
Approve Payroll and submit to Payroll Department.
Prepare MUNIS purchase requisitions
Maintains an organized and neat office.
Performs any other tasks as directed by the Principal.
Working hard
Teacher of Deportment/Dean of Culture (Current Employee) –  Springfield Renaissance SchoolApril 4, 2017
I think that SPS is headed in the correct direction. The employees work hard and the population is challenging at times. I Just wish they could ratify our contract in a much better manner.
Work place was very enjoyable.
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 26, 2017
Made sure food, customer service was followed by guide lines.
being with the customers and employees. Seeing that we enjoyed giving them our services.
Pros
Feeling we made a difference.
Cons
Working short handed all the time.
Very fun environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 20, 2017
the day goes by a schedule according to what is expected of the classroom, grade and curriculum. Implement different methods that may allow every student with a equal chance to succeed.
Pros
out of control student behaviors
Cons
very rewarding environment
I advise all future teachers to run
Speech Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 3, 2017
I worked for Springfield Public Schools for ten years and it was a nightmare. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you know someone or are willing to sleep around. A group of orangutans could run this school system better than the current Superintendent and his joke of a cabinet. I've watched talented people leave Springfield Public Schools while incompetents stay and run the the system into the ground. The true losers are the students who are not receiving a quality education.
Pros
Cons
everything
The city high school where I worked was well run by a great Principal.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 1, 2017
Although the inner city had many students with special needs, the administration of the school handled the challenges very ably. My age helped and hurt me. I was able to relate to the minority students since I was one of the first African-American teachers hired and right out of college. When I wanted a chance to teach English to Honors students for some of my day, I was not afforded the opportunity since a more seasoned teacher held that position for herself solely.
Pros
Great staff and principal
Cons
Pay was low in comparison to other jobs in education..
Very good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield oregonJanuary 19, 2017
I've been driving school bus for Springfield school district for several years. I enjoy driving and the interaction with the kids on my bus and my coworkers
Pros
Good benefits, retirement
Cons
Summers off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Springfield Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval