Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

Teacher Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 10, 2017
I am not the person to rate our current school district. The administrators require teachers to focus on the MAP testing and that takes all the fun out of molding the minds of our kids. I retired as a teacher to follow my passion of yoga.
Great Office
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 9, 2017
Great place to learn about the inner workings of government and to help the people of the first district of Massachusetts. The staff is very helpful and allows employees to grow.
Relational experience with a variety of young people
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverbend ElementaryMay 9, 2017
Starting the day seeing smiling faces is the best! Getting to watch the kids in their work from day to day and see their successes, is so wonderful. Some days there are tests and others there is time to just listen to them read.
The different knowledge levels don't matter when you have conversations with the kiddos as real people. I truly love being able to get to know them.
It may be hard on days when they feel we don't really care for them. You push through and focus on the positive days or moments.
Pros
Always going to have someone to talk to
Cons
Don't know what kind of negative words will be said or actions could be taken
Too many inconsistencies with administration
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldApril 20, 2017
We are told to do one thing, and then when we do, we are told it was wrong. Too stressful with the population of students and behaviors. I love the job itself, it is very rewarding, but there is not enough support from administration and way too much favoritism.
Pros
Loved my kids
Cons
Too much stress
Not for the faint of heart, but a heartfelt job
SPED Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 19, 2017
Working within a public school within an inner city brings with it many challenges, but also many rewarding experiences and relationships with the youth. Be prepared for each day to be different, to confront many different challenging situations, but above all to give a lot of yourself away and focus on the main objective; the students. The job can be stressful if you don't have a release valve outside of work and the relationships with your colleagues can be strained if you don't make the effort to collaborate and seek support in order to work together successfully.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Lack of growth opportunity
Productive work place
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 6, 2017
Maintain PowerSchool Technology with updated pupil information.
Performs work processing, excel, typing and proofing of letters documents and memoranda, of more than average difficulty from clear copy, rough draft, recording machines or data personally developed.
Welcome visitors, respond to their inquiry, and/or directs them to the appropriate person.
Operate faxes, emails through Outlooks, and copying machines to duplicate various forms, bulletins and notices.
Answer telephones, take, and messages for the Principal.
Approve Payroll and submit to Payroll Department.
Prepare MUNIS purchase requisitions
Maintains an organized and neat office.
Performs any other tasks as directed by the Principal.
Working hard
Teacher of Deportment/Dean of Culture (Current Employee) –  Springfield Renaissance SchoolApril 4, 2017
I think that SPS is headed in the correct direction. The employees work hard and the population is challenging at times. I Just wish they could ratify our contract in a much better manner.
Work place was very enjoyable.
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 26, 2017
Made sure food, customer service was followed by guide lines.
being with the customers and employees. Seeing that we enjoyed giving them our services.
Pros
Feeling we made a difference.
Cons
Working short handed all the time.
Very fun environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 20, 2017
the day goes by a schedule according to what is expected of the classroom, grade and curriculum. Implement different methods that may allow every student with a equal chance to succeed.
Pros
out of control student behaviors
Cons
very rewarding environment
I advise all future teachers to run
Speech Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 3, 2017
I worked for Springfield Public Schools for ten years and it was a nightmare. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you know someone or are willing to sleep around. A group of orangutans could run this school system better than the current Superintendent and his joke of a cabinet. I've watched talented people leave Springfield Public Schools while incompetents stay and run the the system into the ground. The true losers are the students who are not receiving a quality education.
Pros
Cons
everything
The city high school where I worked was well run by a great Principal.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 1, 2017
Although the inner city had many students with special needs, the administration of the school handled the challenges very ably. My age helped and hurt me. I was able to relate to the minority students since I was one of the first African-American teachers hired and right out of college. When I wanted a chance to teach English to Honors students for some of my day, I was not afforded the opportunity since a more seasoned teacher held that position for herself solely.
Pros
Great staff and principal
Cons
Pay was low in comparison to other jobs in education..
Very good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Springfield oregonJanuary 19, 2017
I've been driving school bus for Springfield school district for several years. I enjoy driving and the interaction with the kids on my bus and my coworkers
Pros
Good benefits, retirement
Cons
Summers off.
Under-funded School System
ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 6, 2017
Springfield public schools are under-funded to the point that the learning process is undermined. Buildings are old and in need of repair and office supplies are insufficient to meet teachers' needs.
Pros
Great Staff!
Cons
Extreme work conditions
Decent
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 15, 2016
Working for a public school system could be challenging but ultimately it could also be a rewarding experience if you manage to achieve an acceptable discipline level in the classroom.
Demoralizing Workplace
Junior Custodian (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 5, 2016
Relatively simple job, but be prepared to be treated like dirt. Management thinks very little of employees and spends far more time trying to "catch" employees doing something wrong than looking for ways to place employees in position to succeed.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Toxic work environment.
Nice job but not much to progress.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 29, 2016
I help the teacher and students in daily activities and classes. I used to translate for parents at meetings. I did mediation during escalated situations.
Struggling due to ineffective leadership
Teacher (Former Employee) –  various schoolsOctober 9, 2016
While elementary schools are an area of relative strength in Springfield's public schools, in general the schools are underfunded and poorly managed. Middle- and high-school students struggle with knowledge and skill deficits. Many have behavioral issues and do not find school to be a welcoming, caring place. Money that should be available to reduce class sizes and add support staff such as guidance counselors and paraprofessionals is often funneled to expensive and ineffective computer-based intervention programs. The district and building-based administrators do not behave as if they value staff, students, and families.
Lack of Support from admunistrators.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 26, 2016
There is a very low level of support from administrators. Pay is low compared to school districts in other states. Too many students in classrooms and not enough support for inclusion and ELL students.
High expectations of students and staff
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 22, 2016
I work with a dedicated faculty and staff and we also keep the child's best interest at heart. Supportive administrative staff. we work well as a multi disciplinary team.
Math Teacher
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 10, 2016
Working in the Springfield Public school taught me how to deal with different kinds of people, It also gave me the experience in learning how to manage different people with there on agenda.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Springfield Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.