Springfield Public Schools Employee Reviews

See below
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHAugust 13, 2017
This is a great place to work, they have good benefits for their employees, very fast pace of work, however wonderful co-workers, fun place to work and union is very helpful.
school system
Instructional Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 10, 2017
It's scary the behaviors of the future minds are displaying on a daily basis. The expectations are low for student performance. A typical day staff is always worried about serious safety issues of children and staff. Management is far overwhelmed yet is encouraging. Regardless, I still enjoy working with the youth and hopeful to make an impact.
Great job
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 8, 2017
I loved my. Time as a special education teacher. I left only due to relocation, and still miss the days of working there. I had amazing coworkers and supervisors.
Lookjng for work until school starts
Nutrition Substitute (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 27, 2017
I came back to work after being a stay at home mom for 13 years. Last year when I started with the schools I didn't know very much at all. I have learned a lot the past year an hope to learn more as the years go by.
I enjoy working with the ladies at the schools. I dont have a home school an I hoping to this year.
I love my job alot an my schedule.
Pros
Making money
Cons
Not being able to find work
Variety and challenging
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 23, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Springfield Public Schools. I stayed very busy, and I enjoyed the environment. The teachers were passionate, helpful, and flexible.
lots of potential
Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 14, 2017
I loved working in this district but it's hard to get into and be able to stay in positions because of rapid turnover and although they are working on changing school culture, it is difficult to gain momentum or effect change because there is no long term consistency
Felt like I was among the walking dead of maintenance workers
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 29, 2017
Almost every single person there was there to punch in from 8-5 (or more correctly, 10-830) and leave. You can be in departments (such as electrical, plumbing, hvac) without any ACTUAL experience. I originally hired into the Paint department and it was immediately clear that was a lot of dislike for that department (despite that the positions DID require some actual labor).

In the end, I was fired for choices that I made and am completely fine with (not accurately recording time relative to my location). I was the one was fired, but by NO stretch of the imagination was I the worst abuser of this practice. I don't begrudge the consequences at all. But I would not recommend working for SPS to anyone who is looking to do anything other than waste as much time as possible and get paid to do it by flying under the radar.
Pros
decent benefits, fun working with teachers and principals (mostly)
Cons
low pay (generally), lot of "who you know" politics exchanged
Productive work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJune 25, 2017
I enjoyed working for Springfield city schools. It was a wonderful experience. I got along with all the other employees. I enjoyed filing when my boss asked me
enjoyed teaching different scholatic subjects
SSV Tutor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 23, 2017
Very fulfilling job working with students achieve better grades in scholastic courses. Staff was very friendly and family orientated. Enjoyed the different challenges each day.
Pros
fellow staff members
Cons
no school cancellation day pay
Best part of being a teacher is helping children to find their potential
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 19, 2017
I spent 31 years teaching children. I created memories to last a lifetime. Getting to know families and teaching siblings was so much fun.

The ability to go into a classroom and actually work with the children was amazing. To see the light in their eyes when they understood a concept was priceless.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Faculty meetings

Want to know more about Springfield Public Schools?

Ask a question
having fun with kids everyday with summers off
Boys Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 17, 2017
I absolutely love working with children. I love the educational environment, teaching and learning new things. During my time at the School I learned a lot about classroom management, and the most effective ways to maintain a functional classroom. The hardest part of the job was the struggle to find employment for the summer when it was needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching children succeed in their most challenging areas.
Pros
summers and vacations off
Cons
the wage, and the lack of dental insurance.
Educational advancements, fine, professional colleagues. Supportive professional development
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 17, 2017
Educational opportunities for PARAPROFESSIONALS Appropriate training, weekly staff meetings for work and student improvement.
Professional environment, supportive, kind and caring staff Enjoyed friendly respectful environment. Good people positive mentors
Yearly courses for college and classroom improvement
Pros
Summer employment, fun, lovely people year round .
Cons
Would have enjoyed more hours
High Expectations
Jeffries Elementary Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield Public SchoolsJune 14, 2017
SPS has high expectations for it's teachers and students, which is a really wonderful thing. If you enjoy a challenge and love kids, this is a great place to teach. The hardest part about being here is that, like so many schools, students are not issued discipline. They can do as they please, and there are no repercussions for their behaviors. The best part is the sense of community and relationships with colleagues and the community.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Admin doesn't handle discipline
Paraprofessional
substitute paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, NJJune 13, 2017
Springfield Public Schools treats their staff very well and the children are amazing and fun to work with. ABA therapy is a huge part of the Sprout program.
Communication was a joke
ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJune 8, 2017
My job was constantly changing. My principals would not even know of these changes. A large percentage of the teachers were looking to relocate jobs when I did.
Good workplace
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 8, 2017
It was good working as a paraprofessional here early on, but as the years progressed we lost a lot of our benefits and it was difficult to maintain my position and pay my bills at the same time.
Teacher Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 10, 2017
I am not the person to rate our current school district. The administrators require teachers to focus on the MAP testing and that takes all the fun out of molding the minds of our kids. I retired as a teacher to follow my passion of yoga.
Great Office
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 9, 2017
Great place to learn about the inner workings of government and to help the people of the first district of Massachusetts. The staff is very helpful and allows employees to grow.
Relational experience with a variety of young people
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverbend ElementaryMay 9, 2017
Starting the day seeing smiling faces is the best! Getting to watch the kids in their work from day to day and see their successes, is so wonderful. Some days there are tests and others there is time to just listen to them read.
The different knowledge levels don't matter when you have conversations with the kiddos as real people. I truly love being able to get to know them.
It may be hard on days when they feel we don't really care for them. You push through and focus on the positive days or moments.
Pros
Always going to have someone to talk to
Cons
Don't know what kind of negative words will be said or actions could be taken
Too many inconsistencies with administration
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldApril 20, 2017
We are told to do one thing, and then when we do, we are told it was wrong. Too stressful with the population of students and behaviors. I love the job itself, it is very rewarding, but there is not enough support from administration and way too much favoritism.
Pros
Loved my kids
Cons
Too much stress