Springfield School District Employee Reviews

I loved my job though it's not the field I want to work in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTJune 7, 2017
A fun place to work mostly, and the students are always interesting. At the end of the day though it's the school system; a field where there is a lot of problems. If you can get past that you could not find a better place
Fun place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTApril 20, 2017
Nothing out of the ordinary for working at a summer camp. Normal stressors, but the reward of working with the kids is always a great benefit. Would recommend.
Learning experience
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 19, 2017
Working with the children in the special education classroom and the staff was very humbling. It taught me a lot about patience and the different forms of communication. Working with children brings a new emotion on the daily and every day is different.
Scenic Hills is/was conducive to great learning experiences for both children and adults.
Fourth Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAMarch 23, 2017
Education and curriculum was constantly evolving for teachers and students alike. Rigorous standards were held for all.i enjoyed the familial work environment coupled with high expectations.
Pros
Great healthcare and friendly environment
Cons
Straddled life trying to be great teacher/great mom
Great place to work.
Computer Repair Tech II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 6, 2017
SPS is a challenging but rewarding work environment. The work you do impacts so many people and it feels worthwhile to be doing it. The people you work with are all there to support and encourage you. Very happy to be here.
A great, friendly place to work.
Special Education Attendant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 30, 2016
An open, enjoyable environment in which staff work together to benefit students. Staff offer one another encouragement and support. Lots of fringe benefits like discounts on movie tickets.

I learned alot about the students and the students taught me about myself; for instance, that I'm sometimes not as resilient and open-minded as I thought I was. I'm learning how to handle difficult learning situations and how to balance rewards and punishments with students as well as how to establish a rapport with a student.

The hardest part of the job is handling my one-on-one when she is being extremely difficult. If I react too strongly this might actually exacerbate the situation, for instance.

Management at Jefferson Middle School is very supportive of the staff under them, and fair.
Pros
Benefits, mentoring, good pay
Cons
stressful at times
Typical School District
Substitute Classroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 18, 2016
District 186 is your typical school workplace. The school principals have wide leeway their facility operations. As a Substitute Classroom Attendant, I was in just about half of the district's 36 facilities. I saw some very well run schools and some mediocre schools. I did NOT see a poorly run school. Well run schools showed expectations from students and staff such as hallway travel, tardiness, and cafeteria behavior.
As is typical, the staff varied as well. I considered several teachers examples in best practices especially in time management. Others were disorganized and lacking in the classroom management.
The District had recently instituted PBIS behavior management including some portions of BIST. These results varied widely although the recent addition may have been a training issue.
The Superintendent recently asked for survey of public perception of District 186. I have provided an address to the results

The hardest part of my day was the beginning often going into a new location and staff.

I truly enjoyed working with students and showing them possibilities.
Pleasant working environment with staff
Special Education Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 1, 2016
I love Springfield School District #186. Every building that I was employed with has helped me progress in my job skills, as well as getting me prepared for a new career in my life for my son and I.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, and paid vacations and breaks.
Cons
Abusive children, angry parents (but that's expected with the job).
productive workplace
Sub Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 17, 2016
I enjoyed working with the children. and some of the staff

the hardest part was the getting them to listen to the teacher (whom I was NOT)and keeping them focused, its hard when its 20 kids to a classroom and everyoneis talking at once
Pros
helping the children
Cons
hours varied way too much
Decent School District
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PASeptember 30, 2015
Springfield School District is inclusive, so there are 2-8 students in each College Prep classroom that need extra support when compared to their general education peers. This puts a lot of stress on the teacher and assistant in the classroom. The students are great to work with though.
Great Schools! Top Notch Students and Staff.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PAMay 20, 2015
A wonderful and positive place for students. Excellent Academics and Activities and a dedicated staff with a strong commitment to student success.
Met a lot of nice people there
Lead District Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAMay 12, 2015
It was a nice place to work, but as time went on the turn over of the hire up's seem to change every year and they all came in with new things and by the time we got everything changed around they would leave
Pros
Very nice people and co-workers
Cons
the turn over rate
A great experience fulfilling a variety of roles
Building Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PAApril 28, 2015
A typical work week for me would include a variety of assignments from teaching middle-school language arts to filling in for the e-media specialist. Springfield School District is a good district for which to work.
Pros
Different job each day was interesting
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, no opportunities for full-time
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Good people doing a hard job with limited resources. The End
Little overtime, ample time off, grueling tedious work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORAugust 16, 2014
Job is unpredictable so you can never expect to execute what you have planned for the day due to unexpected emergencies and changing priorities. Preventive maintenance is nonexistent because of labor and budget reductions, so repair work is required on a constant basis. Money allocated for maintenance is constantly being shifted to capital improvement and construction projects leaving little to patch up older buildings. Concerns about aging ifrastructure and safety are usually ignored.
Teachers and custodians are a pleasure to work with, and usually appreciate if and when repairs can be initiated. Decent vacation and leave time makes work tolerable.
Pros
Decent time off, good work schedule
Cons
Working from ladders, crawling through attics and crawl spaces in fiberglass and filth
Fun group of staff
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTAugust 13, 2014
I worked in the Life Skills room which is where kids having a difficult time in their classes would come to get help. We also did the supervising of the student who had ISS. I also did quiet studies and filled in the class room during a teacher's absence. I was able to attend several trips to Washington D.C. and Gettysburg, Pa.

My supervisor was great to work with and helped with getting better understanding of the students we worked with.
Pros
great team, summers off
Cons
new principal that took over
Work Day
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 24, 2014
I enjoy my job with the public school districts. A typical day is getting to ride a long with kids and enjoy there laughter. The hardest part about this job is that the pay is not that great.
Pros
The hours you work are great.
Cons
Healthcare
A new task everyday
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTMarch 26, 2014
I enjoyed working in the school district, I like working with people and children. I learned a lot about the school district and what types of challenges they face with children from all walks of live. I found it to be interesting daily.
Fun working with children.
School Coordinator for BEST (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJune 20, 2013
I volunteered a lot so I knew many of the teachers and students
Fun working with children
School Coordinator for BEST (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 13, 2013
I really enjoyed working for the Springfield School District
Pros
children
Cons
no work in summer