Springfield Technical Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Too many bosses giving conflicting orders
HVAC 2 working Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 15, 2016
If you want a challenge this is the place to work. It has everything from 750 ton chillers to geothermal and window air conditioners.
The hardest part of the job is management.
The most enjoyable for me was sorting out equipment that had not been properly maintained. Getting the failed control systems that had not worked for years up and running.
Pros
events free lunch or breakfast several times a year
Cons
conflicts between departments - too many bosses
Very busy work place.
Writing Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work is hectic but enjoyable. Helping people and hearing from them "Thank you" make us happy.
However, dealing with people is the hardest part of this job.
Pros
School breakes
Cons
School breakes
Fun place to work
Adjunct Criminal Justice Professor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 10, 2015
Fun place to work and meet alot of nice people who were willing to work with me to understand the procedures and policies of the company. Really enjoyed teaching undergraduate students different criminal justice courses
Cashiering
Seasonal/Part Time (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 23, 2015
Busy and fast paced work environment. Provide general information to students and parents regarding all aspects of billing and how their financial aid may affect their bills.
Great Experience
Adjunct Professor in History and Political Science (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 16, 2015
As an Adjunct Professor in both US History and Political Science, the challenges of presenting entertaining material in a new and imaginative way was paramount to the success of my students and I. I did so by having the students interact with me in both a Socratic Method and an interpersonal point of view.
Pros
presentations creating interest
Assisted students with homework in ICD-9 coding procedures.
Peer Tutor-part-time (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 26, 2015
Met with students after classes a few days a week to assist with any problems with homework assignments and relevant projects.
Pros
interacting with students and assisting with homework.
Cons
job ended upon my graduation.
Productive environment were the use of Mac computers are mainly used in the graphic arts/photography workforce.
College Work Study/Computer Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 23, 2012
Being the supervisor at the Mac computer lab in the graphic arts department is beneficial for my major. The use of Mac computers on a regular basis helps me become more familiarized especially for PC users like myself. I am able to get assignments done and keep up with homework from my other classes. Having the opportunity to assist students with their problems is enjoyable for me. It's even a learning experience for myself if I cannot assist them with a specific problem.
Pros
work on photography assignments, graphic art assignments, essays, and other homework
Job Review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 4, 2012
Great company who is a non-Profit orginazation for inner city poverty stricken community. They work closely with government organizations to offer servisec to ensure assistance to all walk of life that come from troubled or dysfunctional family. Great cause for better living. I enjoyed working for a company that made a difference to my community. This job gave me allot of satisfaction know I was helping make a difference in people lives.
Pros
high stress situations
Cons
enjoyment when success was made in clients lives
I worrked while going to school
Engineering Student Tutor and teaching assitant (Former Employee) –  Springfield MassachusettsDecember 12, 2012
STCC was a good preparation for RPI. the Professors cared very much for the students and would go the extra mile for us. They gave me a great foundation to build on.
Pros
they are a reat place to get the starting semesters of engineering program
Cons
community colleges can carry sigmas, but sttc has a good reputation
Clinical experience during nursing school at LTC, Acute care, Maternity, Occupational Health, Pediatrics, and Correctional Nursing.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 5, 2014
Proven ability to work as part of a team, learning daily from the challenges put forth by my clinical instructors. Clinical sites were on Med-surg acute care and Urology acute care during final years of school.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 10, 2012
Help Students
There is no age to continue with your education
Supervisor a very down to earth person
Fun, different cultures
Graduation Preparation, but with the help of volunteers and students things always got done on time,
Getting to meet new students every year.
Pros
able to study while working
Cons
no benefits or better pay
Great place to help guide students
Biology Tutor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 20, 2014
Everyday I usually had a student or two come by that asked questions about biology. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the students to retain the information. The most enjoyable part was when the student understood and they actually succeed in that class.
Educational
Phlebotomy Tutor (Current Employee) –  springfield, maApril 1, 2015
I enjoy teaching students the correct way to do the job that I do. The teacher is great to work with and makes coming to work enjoyable.
Great Educational Experience
Lab Monitor/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 13, 2013
A good way to get paid while pursuing a higher education plus the added bonus of being able to help the STCC community.
informative
Data Entry, Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 5, 2014
I was able to enjoy the little time i spent with this company. the professors are great.
Pros
internship
Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 5, 2014
I like that there is something new every day to do. I think the work load can increase
Financial Aid Office WORK & EXPERIENCE
FAFSA Assistance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield MAFebruary 27, 2013
At the Financial Aid office on a typical day, my duties included opening and disbursing the mail for the day, data entry,fax,phone and student support. I would confirm, cancel or reschedule appointments for the next day, work on an assignment or finish projects at my desk while assisting students who enter the Financial Aid office at the front desk area. For the first few years I was the first contact in the office between students and staff. I would assist students according to their needs and by the Financial Aid guidelines. Most of my skills were acquired through education and work at Springfield Technical Community College. The hardest part of my job at the Financial Aid office was balancing work, school, and kids at once. It took a lot of discipline and dedication to obtain my Associates Degree. My co-workers were great and the office worked well as a team. There were deadlines each of us had to meet and as a team we accomplished so much. The most enjoyable part of my employment is building a great relationship with the student body and staff at the college. The college is very diverse and accommodates everyone's needs educationally which makes the college very unique.
Pros
making my own work schedule
Cons
no benefits
STCC was the closet State Boiler Room to my home
Steam Fireman 1/Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 20, 2013
At STCC beside the usual Boiler Room/ Chiller Plant operations I did many aspects of the overall HVAC maintenance. On a typical day I would do the boiler room/chiller plant rounds and logs and chem treating and general mainenance. If the Cheif was present during the heating season ( when the high pressure steam boiler requring 24/7 monitoring was online) or when it wasn't heating season I would do the rounds of all the mechancal equipment and HVAC spaces and rooftop chiller towers and ventilation equipment and check the operation of the equipment in these areas. On a typical day I would be answering cold or hot complaints or following up on HVAC alarms from the Johnsons Controls Metysis HVAC computer monitoring system or answering noise or water leak or odor complaints to see if they were HVAC related. I did piping,motor changing, pump changing, filter changing, generator operating, radiator repairs, window AC changing, AC filter changing and cleaning, equipment oil adding and changing, belt adjusting and changing and replacement, condensate return equipment repairs, domestic hotwater circulation pump repairs and changing, aircompressor maintenance, smoke source detection, ductwork and insulation repairs, air handler repairs, heat exchanger repairs, ventilation fan and exhaust fan repairs. I think I would have to under go hypnosis to remember 100% of the repairs and maintenance I did in the seven years I was at STCC.
Pros
free use of workout facilities, free workshoes annually
Cons
management shorted us on overtime and holiday pay, mangement took away all benefits, finally management eliminated our jobs entirely

Springfield Technical Community College Reviews by Job Title