The Meat Clerk is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and practicing safe food handling procedures. This position receives, stores, and grinds meats; unloads and transports fresh, cured and boxed meats and poultry from delivery truck; counts and weighs incoming articles and compares results against invoice; and examines meats in storage and rotates meats to avoid aging.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides a high level of prompt and friendly customer service; assists customers with questions, and special orders and needs.
- Maintains a positive work environment.
- Properly wraps, scales and labels product.
- Maintains strict adherence to Company recipes.
- Assists in unloading and stocking merchandise; displays and maintains in-stock conditions.
- Has knowledge of weekly ad items; gives customers direction of product location throughout the store.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area (including tables, floor, walls, cases, cooler, freezer, etc.); assists in maintaining all equipment in safe working condition.
- Follows all safety, health and Weights and Measures regulations; monitors temperatures within cooler, freezer and cases on a regular basis.
- Rotates product and pays particular attention to code dates; maintains fresh and appealing appearance throughout the department.
- Follows “Clean as You Go” and “Fresh at 4” Programs.
- Maintains excellent communication with store management team and front end at all times; assists Meat Manager as needed.
- General housekeeping in the department.
- Assists with shelf stocking, facing and dusting as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Reliable and dependable; ability to follow direction.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Strong communication skills; outgoing and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to perform repetitious activities.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and stay organized.
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude are essential to interact with customers and employees.
- Able to work a flexible schedule.
- Requires standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Repetitive arm and hand movements; manual dexterity to wrap, package and stock product; grabbing up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to lift and carry product weighing up to 90 lbs.; push/pull up to 85 lbs. and utilize a pallet jack to move product weighing up to 500 lbs.
- Exposure to extreme temperature changes.
- Requires vision to work with sharp instruments such as knives, band saw, grinder, box cutter and other equipment.