The Produce Clerk is responsible for the proper stocking and rotation of merchandise in the Produce Department, including trimming, watering, and merchandising of products to ensure fresh, high quality offerings. This position ensures proper inventory control to maximize product freshness and availability, and answers questions from customers in a friendly and helpful manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Responds positively to customer’s inquiries and assists customers with questions, information and product selection.
- Ensures cleanliness of Produce department, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Stocks Produce department; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Produce Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Examines the rotation of all Produce products paying particular attention to expired stock and properly discarding outdated or spoiled items pursuant to Sprouts standards.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Ensures all wet racks are stocked, clean, and maintain proper temperatures.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area (including tables, floor, scales, cases, cooler, etc.)
- Participates in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Follows all safety practices and procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous Produce experience in a natural foods industry helpful, but not required.
- Basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Must gain an understanding of proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and appropriate shelf life of products.
- Strong people skills with the ability to work effectively independently and as part of the team.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Food handlers permit.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Requires lifting on a regular basis of between 50 to 65 lbs.
- Continuous standing for long period of time.
- Controlled temperatures, including freezer areas.