Spurwink Services Employee Reviews

Spurwink Review
SQL specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 16, 2017
An excellent place to work! Many opportunities for training and a very supportive management staff. While the rate of pay is lower than the average, the benefits more than make up for it.
Excellent experience
Targeted Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 31, 2017
Spurwink provided me with an excellent opportunity to work with in-need children and their families in order to improve and maintain their mental and physical health. Spurwink provided a plethora of self-care assistance opportunities, needed in the case management field.
Inspiring non-profit agency
Residential Milieu Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 12, 2017
The agency really has an excellent therapeutic approach to the work we do and utilizes evidence-based practices in behavioral health; due to budget considerations and funding cuts at the state level, benefits and pay are not as high as we would like to offer.
Pros
Excellent treatment (feels good to work for the agency)
Cons
Health insurance is offered, but expensive and not great coverage
Excellent mission and environment. Committed to caring.
Mental Health Services Provider (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEMarch 31, 2017
As a therapeutic foster parent I am delighted to be a part of this organization. It is a privilege to be a part of the team. Strong, team approach. Challenging work and very rewarding.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits for therapeutic couples.
Cons
Decreasing funding for human services organizations.
Residential and Day Treatment Services for Maine Youth
Behavioral Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 22, 2017
A great agency with a great mission; I receive excellent supervision and am pleased to have a close-knit team working with me.
Very high moral, happy employees, good atmosphere.
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  MaineFebruary 6, 2017
Spurwink Services takes pride in the way they treat their employees. Employees are always challenged, and are able to meet the expectations of their supervisors. At Spurwink, the employees take pride in doing their job the very best way possible, and are always striving to do better.
Pros
As a Therapeutic Couple, I got to work alongside my wife.
Cons
I live at work, and sometimes will be on the clock for 48 hrs.
When you have a heart for clients
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 22, 2017
I enjoyed working for Spurwink. It was a fast paced job that led for me to meet many wonderful people. Non profits are hard to work for because you do not get any raises regardless of work ethics.
Pros
Relaxed business clothes atmosphere
Cons
No raises or extended benefits
Excellent place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 10, 2016
The salary is low. It's only $10.10 per hour, but the work is NOT at all too demanding. You almost get paid just sitting and observing your clients. Recommended.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Working with people mentally disable
They ask a lot, give a little
Ed Tech (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 26, 2016
Very low pay, great people, most don't stay long, not a lot of support in a very intensive environment. They expect a lot of small sacrifices, but rarely is it reciprocated by b the agency. Some very hard working people work there, they just don't stay long!
Excellent organization with lots of opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 23, 2016
I have worked at Spurwink for almost a year now, and it is by far the greatest job I have ever had. Everyone treats you with respect, and you do real good work. For such a large organization, it feels like a community. The Senior Leadership is also very helpful, and they always make time for everyone. Everyone has a voice.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
I haven't found one yet!

Want to know more about Spurwink Services?

Ask a question
Great household team, though little support from management
Residential Youth & Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work consists of getting a client assignment from the team lead. My team lead is a phenomenal, supportive individual whom I can call a friend. Running his team like a family that supports one another is a good feeling to come into on a high-stress day, especially if a client is having a hard time and to results in having to initiate a restraint for safety reasons. However, our house and team are a bit like an island when it comes to having the support of the supervisors in the region. We are often times left with impossible demands that take staff out of the house to leave unsafe numbers in the event of a client behavior, which can be challenging in a house with large, potentially dangerous young adults. However, we always manage to make it work under the leadership of our team lead. The most enjoyable part of the day is having a good day with a client; Watching them achieve some sort of victory, no matter how small, is always a great feeling. The hardest part can be on those days where a client isn't having a great day, and their problem can quickly become something that affects the whole house.
Pros
Great team, Great team lead, co-operative environment
Cons
Long shifts, little manegerial support
Not a great place to work
Residential Youth and Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Casco, MEApril 11, 2016
Against all odds I stayed with this company for just over six years. I saw an immense turnover of coworkers and supervisors, plus three different program directors. The lack of communication and support from the top down was staggering, as was the amount of overtime expected when positions went unfilled. Try saying no when a house is understaffed...
Pros
It's a place to work
Cons
Rate of pay, expectations of time, abuse from clients, potential hazards (bodily fluids, personal injury, property destruction)
The job afforded a culture of strong friendships and coworker support
Residential and Foster Parent Program (Former Employee) –  portland maineOctober 13, 2015
I was responsible for meeting with up to 8 students daily and bring them to community based work sites to learn skills with support and teaching them proper work etiquette. I learned that everyone with a disability has a right to work no matter their diagnosis. This job required physical stamina and strength and required staff to use therapeutic holds on students only when stated in behavior plan. This was a great job where I got to work with all students within school on some capacity and every classroom staff and teachers.
Pros
The staff were so supportive and I enjoyed the work immensely.
Cons
At times it can be a very physically demanding job.
Good First Experience in Direct Care
DSP,RYFS,OQMHP (Former Employee) –  Bishop StAugust 19, 2015
Overall Spurwink was a good learning experience to help introduce me into the field. Trainings and work experience has taught me more about the Autism spectrum.
Intense personal & professional growth opportunity
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineMay 26, 2015
learned a great deal of a side of society (young adults with challenged learning skills)
close relationships with other coworkers
challenging opportunities to teach clients appropriate behaviors and skills
Friendly co workers but long hours
Therapeutic Couple (Former Employee) –  Casco, MEApril 29, 2015
The job is intense and the hours are long. I wished the employee schedule was different. You work ten days on and a weekend off. Management was sometimes supportive.
Pros
Friendly Co workers
Is safety their goal?
Therapeutic Couple (Former Employee) –  ChelseaAugust 13, 2014
Gave one star for these reasons--

Positives: You'll work with youth that really need a caring adult in their lives, the benefits are pretty nice. Excellent CARE and TCI training for two weeks. Most if not all of our peers were lovely people.

Negatives: Administration at this program will tell you what you need to hear but not necessarily the truth, burn out from non-stop work is high in the TC position. Several homes have mold. Paperwork, Dr. appointments, outbursts/behaviors, meetings, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and car maintenance had us working 85 hours (on average) each week. Youth are not in school for two weeks several times each year. Support staff is difficult to get.

Ask to speak with a TC couple that has been doing the job for at least three years.
Pros
(see below)
Cons
Pay is minimum wage per hour
Its easy to burnout as a Therapeutic HouseParent
Therapeutic Foster Parents (Current Employee) –  MaineJuly 21, 2014
Implementing the treatment plan and working with three clients in the home and in the community.
Pros: Living in the home, company vehicle, planning (with kids being willing and able) activities. The reward of seeing their growth.
Cons: Mental exhaustion, can't have a bad day, or even a bad minute, work 24/7 all staff with the exception of houseparents get paid to sleep.
Very difficult but necessary
Residential Youth & Family Specialist (FT) - Casco (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 5, 2014
There has never been a job that I did not take seriously and did not put my all into. I take pride in stepping back to take a look at the work completed. Working with teams that have instilled in them the excitement and devotion to professionalism so the end game becomes effortless.

I will always apply the best in me and hopefully motivate others to follow. I am a stickler in finding ways to improve on efficiency in the workplaces and will bring the right tools to the job at hand as I always have done in the past.

Co-workers, I experienced, were dedicated care-givers and I was proud to work with them to improve the lives of the children being cared for. My daily experience within the organization expanded my view of the world and has helped me put many aspects of life in perspective.
Pros
The job offered the ability to stand taller, Good placement for the disadvantaged children.
Cons
The knowledge that it is needed.
Mental health
Behavior Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEMay 26, 2014
learn about mental health. I go to families hours and observe and give advice on what coping skill could be interjected to help facilitate problems currently facing.
Pros
non tradition hours
Cons
not intellectually challenged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spurwink Services. Our community is ready to answer.