Spurwink Services Employee Reviews in United States

They ask a lot, give a little
Ed Tech (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 26, 2016
Very low pay, great people, most don't stay long, not a lot of support in a very intensive environment. They expect a lot of small sacrifices, but rarely is it reciprocated by b the agency. Some very hard working people work there, they just don't stay long!
Excellent organization with lots of opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 23, 2016
I have worked at Spurwink for almost a year now, and it is by far the greatest job I have ever had. Everyone treats you with respect, and you do real good work. For such a large organization, it feels like a community. The Senior Leadership is also very helpful, and they always make time for everyone. Everyone has a voice.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
I haven't found one yet!
Not a great place to work
Residential Youth and Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Casco, MEApril 11, 2016
Against all odds I stayed with this company for just over six years. I saw an immense turnover of coworkers and supervisors, plus three different program directors. The lack of communication and support from the top down was staggering, as was the amount of overtime expected when positions went unfilled. Try saying no when a house is understaffed...
Pros
It's a place to work
Cons
Rate of pay, expectations of time, abuse from clients, potential hazards (bodily fluids, personal injury, property destruction)
The job afforded a culture of strong friendships and coworker support
Residential and Foster Parent Program (Former Employee) –  portland maineOctober 13, 2015
I was responsible for meeting with up to 8 students daily and bring them to community based work sites to learn skills with support and teaching them proper work etiquette. I learned that everyone with a disability has a right to work no matter their diagnosis. This job required physical stamina and strength and required staff to use therapeutic holds on students only when stated in behavior plan. This was a great job where I got to work with all students within school on some capacity and every classroom staff and teachers.
Pros
The staff were so supportive and I enjoyed the work immensely.
Cons
At times it can be a very physically demanding job.
Good First Experience in Direct Care
DSP,RYFS,OQMHP (Former Employee) –  Bishop StAugust 19, 2015
Overall Spurwink was a good learning experience to help introduce me into the field. Trainings and work experience has taught me more about the Autism spectrum.
Intense personal & professional growth opportunity
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineMay 26, 2015
learned a great deal of a side of society (young adults with challenged learning skills)
close relationships with other coworkers
challenging opportunities to teach clients appropriate behaviors and skills
Friendly co workers but long hours
Therapeutic Couple (Former Employee) –  Casco, MEApril 29, 2015
The job is intense and the hours are long. I wished the employee schedule was different. You work ten days on and a weekend off. Management was sometimes supportive.
Pros
Friendly Co workers
Is safety their goal?
Therapeutic Couple (Former Employee) –  ChelseaAugust 13, 2014
Gave one star for these reasons--

Positives: You'll work with youth that really need a caring adult in their lives, the benefits are pretty nice. Excellent CARE and TCI training for two weeks. Most if not all of our peers were lovely people.

Negatives: Administration at this program will tell you what you need to hear but not necessarily the truth, burn out from non-stop work is high in the TC position. Several homes have mold. Paperwork, Dr. appointments, outbursts/behaviors, meetings, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and car maintenance had us working 85 hours (on average) each week. Youth are not in school for two weeks several times each year. Support staff is difficult to get.

Ask to speak with a TC couple that has been doing the job for at least three years.
Pros
(see below)
Cons
pay is minimum wage per hour
Its easy to burnout as a Therapeutic HouseParent
Therapeutic Foster Parents (Current Employee) –  MaineJuly 21, 2014
Implementing the treatment plan and working with three clients in the home and in the community.
Pros: Living in the home, company vehicle, planning (with kids being willing and able) activities. The reward of seeing their growth.
Cons: Mental exhaustion, can't have a bad day, or even a bad minute, work 24/7 all staff with the exception of houseparents get paid to sleep.
Very difficult but necessary
Residential Youth & Family Specialist (FT) - Casco (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 5, 2014
There has never been a job that I did not take seriously and did not put my all into. I take pride in stepping back to take a look at the work completed. Working with teams that have instilled in them the excitement and devotion to professionalism so the end game becomes effortless.

I will always apply the best in me and hopefully motivate others to follow. I am a stickler in finding ways to improve on efficiency in the workplaces and will bring the right tools to the job at hand as I always have done in the past.

Co-workers, I experienced, were dedicated care-givers and I was proud to work with them to improve the lives of the children being cared for. My daily experience within the organization expanded my view of the world and has helped me put many aspects of life in perspective.
Pros
the job offered the ability to stand taller, good placement for the disadvantaged children.
Cons
the knowledge that it is needed.
Mental health
Behavior Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEMay 26, 2014
learn about mental health. I go to families hours and observe and give advice on what coping skill could be interjected to help facilitate problems currently facing.
Pros
non tradition hours
Cons
not intellectually challenged.
Creative high energy environment, structured yet invites something new everyday.
Ed Teck III Therapeutic Preschool (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 31, 2014
Enjoy working within a team oriented environment and with the many diverse groups of children.
Working with children that have behavioral and developmental disorders
OQMHP/Residential Youth & Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEFebruary 12, 2014
I was required to care for one child, whom I had to be in arms reach, voice reach or hearing reach of them. I was required to help them with their every day living skills, behavior skills, and meal prep skills. I was there to help the child use coping skills to deal with their behavior problems. When a child was unable to use coping skills I was required to work with a team to put the child into a hold so there would be no injuries to the child or to staff.
Pros
a team of people to help you cope with the stressors of the job
Cons
lack of supervision, training and management meetings
Neutral about work experience
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEFebruary 11, 2014
The job was fine...working with children was worth it...the drama and unprofessionalism of employees and managers made it hard to do job well.
Pros
good experience
Cons
poor managerial structure
Great agency to work for and wonderful co-workers
Support Worker Family Reunification Program (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEOctober 19, 2013
Spurwink is a great agency who are willing to help emploies strick that work/home balance. Ability to move forward in the agency with continual training and supervision.
Working with challenging kids/adults
Tech III (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MaineAugust 28, 2013
Great team environment working with challenging kids and adults.
Productive and teaching enviroment
Ed Tech III (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MEJuly 16, 2013
It's been rewarding working with kids in a school setting. Sometimes a challenge, it is different day to day.
Fun place to work
Residential Youth and Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 15, 2013
Definitely issues in admin. Felt very ganged up on, on a regular basis. Not enough support from admin.

Not enough pay for the physical demands.

This has been my sole experience.
Pros
great times with the kids
Cons
favorites and lack of communication and support
Supporting of people with mental disabilities
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 12, 2012
This company is very good, I enjoyed working in supporting people living with mental disabilities.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
A wonderful place to make a difference in the lives of children and the community.
Ed Tech III (Former Employee) –  Cornville, MEMarch 21, 2012
I had a wonderful experience working for this organization. The work is rewarding and you are very much appreciated for your input.

2.9