SPX Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place to be employed at.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2016
Completing the job make sure it past x ray. I've learned how to weld on different assignments. Management was great, had positive feedback on my welding skills. The hardest part of the job working in the heat. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers, being able to work as a team.
Good job, but...
Core and Coil Assembler (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJuly 28, 2016
Good job if you are a hard worker that enjoys a challenge, cares about quality and actually want to learn the job you are hired for or job you bid on. (Some departments are much harder on the body with a lot to remember than others and the pay isn't what it should be for the most complicated and challenging areas) Although they claim they try to promote from within or from the shop floor, it rarely happens unless you are currently attending college or already have a degree so advancing is very hard to do. The hours are dependent the schedule, could be a normal 40 hour work week or could have massive overtime of 50 hours during the week and 8 hours each on Saturday and Sunday. The pay is good and some benefits provided are better than others e.g. vacation, 401(k) match, and supplemental insurances like aflac.

I have learned and continue to learn almost everyday a great deal about how transformers work and how to assemble the many different types of units we make or have made. Along with learning a lot of troubleshooting and repairing of units. The majority of the co-workers in the departments are friendly and willing if they see you struggling or have a question. As with anywhere, you have the co-workers that know everything and say everything/anything is possible even if it is not. You also have some co-workers that have figured out how to get away with doing maybe a quarter of the work of others and management will turn a blind eye to it every time. Some of the engineers are great to ask questions to about the whys and hows things are and will actually listen and try to
  more... take our ideas into account when designing a unit. While others do not value our opinion and feel insulted when we offer suggestions.

Supervision is usually tied up in meetings for a good portion of the day usually which kind of defeats the purpose of having supervisors. When they are around some supervisors are great and will let the workers work with minimal interaction so the jobs can get done. If we need something or there is an issue we know where to find them or how to get a hold of them. Other supervisors feel the need to either constantly hover over people or almost rule by intimidation at times while constantly needing to be in complete control. Some act like they understand the whole product while they pretty much have no idea what they are looking at or how important some small details are but that is mainly due to having so many new supervisors that have never worked in this kind of manufacturing setting. Middle and upper management is just too top heavy in my opinion. 3 plant managers when we could just have 2. I know we have over 10 V.P.s that we rarely or ever see outside of an all employee meeting. It is rare to see the company president on the shop floor. Then again I think this is the 4th one in the 12 years I've been there.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the some of the same constant issues of either prints not being updated or fixed, units becoming smaller to work on but clearances and connections are all the same, outsourced parts or even floor stock parts being wrong or late. The hardest for me is management for not holding people accountable for either their lack of quality or how little work they get done and constantly punishing the most knowledgeable and hardest working people on hardest jobs, while rewarding the slugs and hacks with easy work when they have the same skill set and knowledge.
Pros
Pay
Cons
poor management
Very oppressive environment in the warehouse horrible experience
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 26, 2016
The job offers good hours and OK pay. I worked at the SPX after market in Ocala Florida working in the warehouse is very uncomfortable after you see that the people that's been there the longest doesn't do anything and if you're new you got to do everybody else's work while management just sits back and watches. The manager is prejudice and warehouse Lead people are straight up racist, very uncomfortable to work there, you're not allowed to talk. In the breakroom everybody complains about the smell of food so you can't even sit and have a good lunch because you have everybody complaining from the managment to them last people in the warehouse. God forbid you want to make coffee because the manager thinks she's the cleanest person and checks everything you use. I do not recommend this place unless you really need the job and then you're going to move on. The turn around it's just incredible at this Warehouse.
Pros
Decent pay and good hours. Good life balance
Cons
Racism prejudism and bigotry to say the least. Horrible horrible environment.
My Employer
Vertical Turning Center Machinist (Leadman) (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 22, 2016
The company overall was a blessing to work for. The company in general was bought and sold four times in a 15 year spand but givin that the management stayed the same and the employees were satisfied with most all the changes. The management let most all the employees do the same things that they were doing for years because everything was already working good. The thing I liked the most was when there was a problem the input to fix the problem was a combination of engineers and employees which made the employees feel like they ment more to the overall process.
Pros
Worker recognition
Cons
Being bought and sold like a used car
Very relaxed placed to work!
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJuly 1, 2016
A very pleasant place to work, coworkers love to welcome new employees with open arms. Management shows an interest in employees health and stability.
Great People to work with
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 21, 2016
Great Place to work for with a solid group of employees. Pay is great and the work load is challenging but bonus plans are pretty much non existence.
Pros
Great benefits day one
Cons
they promote on a like you basis not on skills
Productive and User Friendly work place
Customer Account Representative II (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 6, 2016
Supporting our Representatives world wide with the Customer Needs to keep their Cooling Towers working. Receive orders, find the parts requested, and ship them out as soon as possible. Support from management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when you cannot get the parts requested in the timely manner that the customer needs. The most enjoyable part is fulfilling my customers needs and providing exactly what is needed and when it is needed.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Micro-Management
Fun place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS 66213June 2, 2016
Very safe place to work. Great pay and great employees. No chance of getting a work place injury. I really liked this job.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Job was not permanent
Transitions are Frequent
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 23, 2016
Revolving door; never know if you are going to have a job or not. Management is always changing and its who you know not what you know.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Frequent Management, employee changes
Productive and challenging
Warehouse Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYMay 4, 2016
I currently work for an Aerospace company, Every day is challenging but am always up to the task, We have a great team that leans on each other with the same goals in mind and that is to keep costumers satisfied by completing jobs on time with quality work. I learned how to work with all departments[Management/Planning/Assembly/Quality and Warehouse.I enjoy getting each task done for each day. I don't waste time because time is money. I am always willing to learn and progress with the company..
SPX is a great company to work for.
Human Resources Generalist II (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INApril 10, 2016
Overall I enjoyed my time at SPX Corporation. The reason I left was due to a promotional opportunity which also cut my commute in half. My role as a Senior HR Generalist consist of responding to employee concerns/questions primarily on the operations side of the business, educating the employees on policy and/or HR process changes, recruiting, reporting, responding to 1st and 2nd step grievances, managing projects and overall supporting the business. I learned to multi task and adapt to change. The hardest part of the job was the commute. The best part of the job was the schedule 4-10's and building relationships with the corporate team, local team and having the opportunity to interface with the HR team in China.
newer equipment
CNC Machinist/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 4, 2016
very poor management. think twice about applying there. they go through layoffs often. the working people there are cool.
Dangerous working environment
Master Assembler (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCMarch 23, 2016
Like all jobs you must stay very alert while working in any department within SPX. There has been mistakes made by several employees either not focusing on the job or not following correct job procedures.
it was a good place to work
Carpenter Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2016
we went to plants and we restore water towers we travel a lot but in the summer things get slow real slow for us it was carpener work a small group us people on my crew
Great people to work with!
Global Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILMarch 2, 2016
The lack of professionalism and experience of the SLT will prevent this company from continuing to growth. Promotion only comes if you're part of the Good Ole Boy network. President is excellent but probably won't be around long as his ceiling is the sky.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Outside of President, SLT is terrible.
Lunches and pay is good
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2015
Busy
Documentation
Management was always understanding
Hardest part of the job was learning each line of customer
Work hours are good and pay is really good
Pros
Pay
Cons
Dealing with customers who are not understanding
Productive workplace
MANAGER, MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS (Former Employee) –  Delavan, WIDecember 3, 2015
SPX was a Fortune 500 Company. Great co-workers and direct reports. The most enjoyable part was the creative aspect and traveling.
Productive and friendly environment with Employee Appreciation Days!
Scanning Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 16, 2015
I was responsible for producing legible digital copies of documents for retention purposes. I learned how to scan and organize hard copy documents and transfer them into various local, network and cloud storage devices. Management was always on-site to help with any concerns or questions and my co-workers demonstrated awesome team spirit! The hardest part of the job was departing from my new friends/family. The most enjoyable was gaining a new skill, employee recognition (food) and the experience of being part of a great company!
Pros
Working for an outstanding company and Employee Recognition!!!
Cons
Temp to hire
Team Company
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2015
Great company to work for and great management. Best company I've ever worked for. Would still be there if the department I work for did not close down.
Pros
Understanding to family needs and not on a power trip
Cons
N/A
Typical Corporation with good benefits
Engineering Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 14, 2015
Co-workers are hard to get along with sometimes.
Job is challenging
Flex hours are nice
No room for advancement
over time is available
Pros
flex hours, overtime
Cons
Not a team environment and no advancement opportunity