SRI International Employee Reviews in United States

Good variety work, but Management could use improvement
o Serves as project lead (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJune 15, 2015
Employees receive training in many different areas of specialty, so this company is a great first job for people.

The management can overlook the forest for the trees and very rarely sees the big picture. Inconsistent criteria for advancement. Compensation is low for the amount of work required (overtime will be scheduled to the point where one's work/life balance will be disrupted).

As a four year veteran who is just now taking his own advice - do the work, get your training, excel at it, but don't stay here too long.
Pros
Training and opportunity to learn
Cons
Low Pay, Excessive Overtime
excellent place to work in a wide variety of research
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 11, 2016
SRI is on the cutting edge in many areas of research, the culture inspires individuals to do their best and is open to many areas of interest. The people are great to work for and there is a culture of working together to enjoy work and comradery among the employees.
The staff at this company was very nasty
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 25, 2016
My supervisor did not train me very well with the everyday assignments that was given to me daily. My co-workers did not want to cover for me at the front desk for breaks and lunch breaks. My eleven months with this company was not very good.
Pros
Free lunches was given to the staff often.
Cons
Great health benefits
Worked with scientist to plan and track their contract R&D
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAMay 19, 2016
Working with scientist and engineers is my favorite. We had government contracts, and so it was tedious at times. The people were superb. Special project on new lines of business, computer systems modernization, and spin offs kept us busy.

Stable and rewarding environment. No stock options!
Great team building in a fun environment
VTHP Operator (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 8, 2014
Working with SRI International is such a rewarding experience; being able to help our soldiers and knowing the benefits they receive with the product we’re producing makes it all worthwhile. A typical day starts by going out into the field, setting up all equipment (switchboard, camera’s, audio) while leaving enough time for troubleshooting if needed, recording the after action review and returning all media to the editors where they finish the video and have it posted within 48 hours. The most enjoyable part of the day is filming the AAR, interacting with the troops and seeing firsthand how beneficial this program is for them. I have always worked with talented people and great management; we are all their for one reason and that’s to support our troops and complete the mission.
get to work with soldiers and be involved in training.
Training devices technitian (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJanuary 31, 2015
SRI International is an innovative company that is very creative and has many hard working folks who put a lot of time and effort in assisting the Military in their mission. The XCTC program and FlexTrain Home Station programs are very good tools that were created to meet the digital training requirements for National Guard Bureau and have accomplished this many times over.
Pros
very good benefits package
Work environment
Floating Sgt (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 16, 2016
Day to day busy with one duty or another. You always have someone to give you good advice. Its up to you to come prepare to do what is needed to be done.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Don't have any
Innovative enivornment with revolutionary research
Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJanuary 23, 2013
I was blessed to work at SRI as a student associate. Although I only personally work with a Material Scientist, this experience was invaluable. For just an internship, I was given my own computer, my own office, and given a very nice welcome package which included the option of starting a 401K. As a scientist, I worked in a lab. The conditions were not ideal at the time but the research was eye opening. As a non-profit, this company seems to always be on it's tiptoes but sources of money from the government were always a sure fire thing. Unfourtantely because I was in and out a lot (as a student at the time), I did not interact with management very much but when I did, they were always friendly and incredibly smart. The interactions between me and my coworkers were wonderful and if I had the chance, I would go back in a heartbeat. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to say the same thing about any other company I will work for in the future.
SRI (Stanford Research Institute) International: best place I ever worked.
Senior Technical advisor (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAOctober 28, 2013
Institute offers excellent staff, and management. Scope covers almost anything in science & engineering. Challenging work & respected throughout world.
Staff are treated as adults. Minimum supervision; vetted by work quality, innovation, maintaining schedules, budgets and customer praise.
Growth and advancement strongly dependent on your managment to recognize your skills and match work assignments that are complementary.
Pros
world respected
Cons
working programs across organizational boundries
The model non-profit
Software Architect - United States Army (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, NJJuly 31, 2012
SRI International is a research and development think tank based out of Menlo Park, Ca. The culture is cutting-edge and embracing of new ideas and business innovations. This is reflected in the management style with the US government as the largest customer of services. SRI International's benefits packages and presentation is outstanding and thorough. It is not uncommon to find co-workers both intelligent and forward thinking with a positive attitude to the work endeavors.
Pros
excellent benefits and compensation
Cons
lack of significant presence on the us east coast
Productive working place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 18, 2015
Decent work place with friendly supportive management. This site is relative new but the productivity is going up and all the numbers are ok.
Pros
Good working dynamics.
Interesting work, challenging assignments and exciting breakthrough products
Director, Procurement (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 22, 2012
SRI believes in its mission and its people. The methodologies they employ in the workplace are progressive, the processes work well and the systems are refined and transparent. I loved my job at SRI and if not for a grave illness in the immediate family I would still be working there.
Pros
free cal-trans passes, above average salary and benefits, and a clean safe, collaborative work environment.
Cons
if you enjoy this kind of work, it doesn't get any better.
Not a bad place to work for at all. It was my first real job and I gained so much experience!
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAApril 17, 2015
I believe that any typical day at any job is the same all around. There are times when you could be busy all day, that you don't even realize where the time has gone. And then there are the days when work is slow that you have to go around asking for work, just trying to look busy. Management was real kick back, but firm when need be. But very open minded people. Not hard to get along with at all. I would have to say that the hardest part about the job was having to pick up after the technicians and maintain the medical supplies in the warehouse. And the most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things and meeting people with many different personalities and characters.
A good company with a diverse employee base, as well as high-level technology
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 31, 2015
A good company with a diverse employee base, as well as high-level technology.
Lots to keep up with, if you're "up to the task".
Pros
Lots of new technology to learn and leverage
Cons
None really.....it's work.
The Worst place to start
Bio Tech (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAApril 5, 2013
Poor Management, and lack of work/life balance. You can find a better company with the same salary
Pros
friendly peers and working enviornment
Cons
everything
Can be both productive and counter-productive depending on the people you deal with.
Network Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAApril 8, 2014
Typical days run 12-16 hours of work followed by another hour or so of down time where you may be required to make arrangements for the following days. Learning people skills and time management is the best tool out there to accomplish each and every task in a timely manner. Trust but verify is what I expect from my management and is what I do with my management. Again, this is using the people skill, learning each others strength and weakness is key for knowing who to put where. Hardest part of the day is trying to make situations better or preventing issues from arising and at the same time, accomplishing a task that has been painstaking or challenging is the best feeling one can have. Nothing better than making everything work as it is suppose to.
Pros
working with military
Cons
long hours, lots of travel, pay is low
Bad Place to Work
software engineer (Former Employee) –  PhillyAugust 14, 2014
Working here was ok at first until. I found out you have no advancement, you are just a number. If the contract goes you boot you out the door. More of a good ole boy system. Promote people who do nothing while hard workers who put long hours get pushed back.
Pros
its a resume filler
Cons
no promotions no advancement staffing and management do not have a clue about the projects
Business Developer, Leader and Mentor to multi‐disciplinary teams
Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park CAMay 4, 2015
Confusing management system. The workforce is growing very old and they are having a hard time attracting younger people.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Management is extremely politicized and backward looking rather than forward looking
Great Place to work
Project Admin (Current Employee) –  Menlo ParkMarch 16, 2015
SRI Culture is described as a "Google" like campus with senior professors, professionals that create and innovate. Diverse market source for R&D.
Pros
quality of life and great work environment
Cons
political advancement.
Research and Development
Senior Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 10, 2015
I've been with Sarnoff and SRI International for the past 16 years.

It is a great place to work. I am intrigued with world changing technology. It changes at a days notice.

No two days are ever the same.

Great management and colleagues with awesome personalities.Hardest part is the deadline, everything has a deadline. But we tend to work well under pressure.

Most enjoyable would be the day to day. I truly enjoy my job and the people I work for and with.