SS&C Technologies Employee Reviews

Fast paced enviroment
Hedge Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 24, 2016
Very challenging place to work. A lot of learning on your own, unless you reach out for help. It is a younger environment, with a lot of younger people working there. Have to put in the time
Good Company, bad lower management
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 4, 2015
She was great VP, I ever worked with.
Start in the morning with free coffee, tea, open door policy.
Relatively good pay, good benefits, flexible time.
A lot of work, old applications falling apart, with hundreds error /exception emails raining every day. My jaw dropped, when I saw, commenting out the exception was the fix.
Director/manager lever management is strongly stuck with their or their buddies personal agenda, . Maybe my bad luck, but it was almost toxic and unbearable. If you are a professional with industry standards, work ethic, it is a serious problem. My observations are limited to two remote directors I worked with one in Chicago, one in New Jersey. I heard there are better teams.
eventually I quitted and moved to an other job.
I was not the only one , before four people quitted in a very short time. They were all good, hard working, good ethics people, they left.
Very high turnover.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Some uneducated, premature lower management.
Diverse place of employment offering many proprietary software systems and wide exposure to various departments
Assistant Manager - Advisorware Services (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTJune 10, 2015
I believe SS&C Technologies has a strong management and excels in the industry. It is diverse place of employment offering many different proprietary software systems and a wide exposure to various departments.
Your experience will depend on your manager
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTJune 9, 2015
If your manager likes you then you will have a good time. They don't really train new employees and aren't run properly. When you go to help out other groups no one knows what to do.

For a software company we have computer/software issues all the time. Company tries to save money the wrong ways. Our bathrooms are disgusting and you can never find a pencil or a pen. They buy a box of 10 pens/pencils for 150 person office. Yet they spent billions buying competitors.

Job titles and prior experience don't matter. The accounting department has IT, HR people that just got placed there and don't really know what they are doing.
Pros
pay 70% tuition
Cons
Job titles don't matter
Good
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Evansville INMay 5, 2015
Great job out of college. Lots of room for growth and opportunities. Challenging at times but can be rewarded. Company is always growing
A "dead end" in terms of career advancement.
Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAApril 23, 2015
SLA driven in-house tech environment with archaic technology and out of date EOL resources that add to an already high pressure environment built on banking / financial industry where players like to play "pass the hot potato game" and "show me the money".
Not the place to be in terms of career advancement.
Cons
No bonuses even if promised, #burnout environment with no team building traits.
Not a bad place to work
Senior Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 7, 2015
Pay was lower on the lower end of the scale mainly due to the location of the office. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and there was a lot of potential for growth.
High Turnover and Stress
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJJanuary 24, 2015
Although most of the people are nice to work with, the atmosphere breeds a lot of stress if you work for a demanding client. The lack of talent and high turnover put a lot of pressure on the employees who remain behind, who constantly need to train new people and take on more responsibility. Unfortunately, over a year at this company and I have yet to see any stability. Expect to work long hours and weekends, especially with a demanding client. Moreover, there is no overtime pay and the salaries here in general are usually less than the market rate. Long hours and below average pay are some of the main reasons people constantly leave for other opportunities. Probably more frustrating is the disconnect between management and the lower level employees. Management seems to constantly make unrealistic promises to their clients, putting unnecessary pressure on the lower level employees who are expected to meet these rigorous deadlines. Stress is at its highest during quarter end closes; unfortunately, it still gets busy when its not quarter end, so there is very little time to breathe. Moreover, it is common for employees to not have the time to take all of their vacation days. If you have paid time off to use, use it as soon as possible so you are not put in a position where you can not use it until the following year. The biggest benefit to working for this company is the high exposure and experience you will gain since there is not enough people to take on the workload, forcing people to learn as fast as possible and take on a lot of work, This is a company that is best suited  more... for a temporary stay to gain good experience; otherwise, once the work becomes repetitive, it is not worth the hours and salary. This company is not for the faint of heart.  less
Pros
experience and exposure
Cons
work/life balance, salary, turn over, and lack of good talent
Dont work here!
Senior Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2014
Work for a division of SS&C Technologies, HQ is Mississagua, Ontario. Management is not involved with the New York office and offers no training or support of day to day. SS&C will never make the Fortune Best Places to Work. This company SUCKS!
Good place to learn finance, tedious work, low preasure
Quantitative Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTOctober 20, 2014
Clean and convert hedge fund accounting data into risk related measures. Calibrate and simulate asset price on holding level. Calculate Var, Greek letters and other important risk l metrics. Interpolate the change of the risk metrics to the hedge fund managers base on the change of the portfolio holding and market conditions.
Pros
casual dressing code
Cons
the managers don't know what's the trend of the market and refuse to innovate.
Not Great.
Investor Relations Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTDecember 9, 2013
Poor management and no focus on employee development. Hard work, long hours and little flexibility.
Senior Fund Accountant-Hedge Fund Services (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTDecember 8, 2013
busy environment, knowledgeable colleagues, learning something new everyday
not the greatest place to work overall
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Windsor CTAugust 25, 2013
This company is not what it appears to be. On the outside everything is great. Your team will tell you that you are right on track. You will be coming to work on time every day from a long commute and even staying the long hours. You will be tasked with multiple projects and you will meet the deadlines that were expected. And yet you will get a phone call to report to a conference room with your boss's boss sitting in the room who never saw your work or was evaluating you at all because your own boss is on vacation where you will be told that you did not meet expectations and that you are being let go as of today and given a severance package. What happened ? Where was the disconnect ?
You knew your reports programming both inside and out. You knew how to import the data into the databases and create reports manually let alone automate them. You knew enough to know that their web application had a runtime loop in it and it lacked the sufficient error handling and exception handling in it after the first week you were assigned to the task. Worse the web configuration file has relative paths and is not code agnostic so that really means moving the application to anywhere that is not a perfect storm of where its directories, file structure, dynamic linked libraries, executable and other components are installed the thing will fail outright. But the team developer told you that the machine to test the application on was one that did not even have the major components installed even when you recreated all of the directories and hierarchy of files there so while he insisted this would
  more... work on any machine that was not quite correct and yet when you moved the revised program to the correct machine all of your changes worked and yet you were held accountable for the delay. The HR person was telling me I suffered from a generic performance lapse and yet she could cite nothing specific or quantifiable in terms of a metric as how it had come to this and none of my team who supervised any of the work were there to give any feedback let alone my boss who was still on vacation. Then she started crying as I was given a window to talk and it was because she realized on some level within her being after firing other individuals that week that what was being done was not right or did not add up and her humanity showed which to me was strangely comforting rather than the atypical cold stereotype I would have had to deal with. She allowed me the dignity to walk on my own terms and pack up my own personal effects rather than allow the senior vice president to collect them which would look to others that you had been fired from all appearances which seem to confuse him by the look on his face. His confusion came from my refusal to have him go through my personal belongings which I found quite odd for him to raise an eyebrow at that.. would he not want the same ? Somehow I think that in the overall scheme of things from the outside reflecting on the matter I lucked out. SS&C is not a place to spend a career in the long term at least for me. I was paid out vacation and a nice severance package I suppose due to what was felt was best at the time but my boss and my team who decided this action weeks ago it would seem. It is high stress you are working around the accountants who are put under extreme pressure and you who maintain a lot of their systems are put under the gun. This is a hedge fund/ private asset management company and dealing with so much money and you see the realities of how those around the impact of high end finances behave over the long run. It isn't pretty at times based on the mood swings you might see or the people who pass by your cube glaring looking to catch you web surfing when you aren't in ambush mode. Your health and overall well being aren't worth the paycheck in the long run. Most of the guys who worked with me were younger than me and had bags under their eyes and had beer guts and eat at Wendy and had buffalo wings every day and looked like they were fifty years old instead of their late twenties and early thirties. What should have been telling to me was I was introduced to a developer who was looking to start up with the company and he quit after two days. That should have been a red flag for me.  less
Pros
cafeteria on premises, casual dress code
Cons
long hours, cliquish team environment, given tasks without detailed explanation of what is expected and what the problems are therein
SS&C
Systems Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
A great company to work for, full of growth and challenges. In my area of the company, we focus on the OMS and Trading sides of the financial industry. It is fast past and very demanding, but also allows us opportunities to learn a variety of information technology standards and protocols. Along with that we get the opportunity to work with equipment from cutting edge tech to past EOL machines. Always progressing with new projects and standards.
Pros
hands on with your work, self managed
Cons
24/7 duties
A company that provides a great learning experience
Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2013
The company brings in a lot of new clients and as the business grows, the demands from the clients increases as there is only so much time, thus providing a great experience in time management.
high turnover
accountant (Current Employee) –  cranford, njDecember 20, 2012
There is little to no training or guidance yet high expectations of no errors. Management is reclusive. The work load results in one to work very long hours yet management say do not want their staff to work late. One works harder and faster they are given more work. Promise made for advancement yet no room for advancement. Supervisors very condescendingly & offer poor training and guidance.
Pros
free drinks and casual attire allowed
Cons
favoritism, high turnover, little interaction with upper management.
Fun people but cut throat political culture
Senior Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJuly 2, 2012
Good people to work with. Leadership set a tone encouraging harmful competition and unrealistic expections.
Pros
people
Cons
politics, leadership style
Productive and hard working
Assistant Manager in Operations (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTJune 4, 2012
I learned a lot about the market, but unable to advance due to lack of sales in area.
Pros
can learn alot
Cons
advancement is non existant

Comment – November 4, 2012

People were driven to work very hard, sales is really slow.