SSL (Space Systems Loral) Employee Reviews

Very antiquated environment
Payroll (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 11, 2017
Management is very antiquated, but very open and supportive of changes. Employees have been with the business for many years, this has caused lots of older processes.
Great place to start off
Senior Lead Electrical/Electronics Tech (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 29, 2017
If you work in the right section and have a great manager you can accel. There are managers that don't know how to rate their employee's talent they tend to over look the over achievers. The talented ones are the ones you want to keep and not cater to others that are there to collect a paycheck. They bring the company down and makes it hard for the company to advance.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Poor management in some parts of the company
I enjoyed working at Space Systems/Loral.
Sr Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 29, 2017
I had worked for Space Systems/Loral for the past 25 years. I enjoyed working with the people and the environment. I had learned a lot from my job. I still believe that the company provides personal grow and professional develop and more career opportunities when the company is in a good shape .
Pros
If you like aeronautical sciences, there are a lot of areas you can learn
Cons
The layoffs are continuous. This make the employees are so concerned.
SSL is very family oriented place to work with. Everyone help other and work hard to meet the schedule.
Production Planner II (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 15, 2017
Typical day at SSL is how you make your day. Any other company you have a daily task that you need to perform. With SSL my first concern is to satisfy my customers with their order and I make sure that I'm on top and deliver on time so that they can meet their critical schedule.
Pros
Free coffee, Tea and chocolate
Cons
lack of managers support from my department
Old, Inefficient Satellite Manufacturing Company
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 6, 2017
Typical day at work: Meetings to discuss technical details and then summarizing it in email documentation for C.Y. A.

What I've learned: The paperwork involved in designing and building a satellite and the reason why the costs are astronomical.

Management: A lot of engineering efforts are paralyzed by various parties in management jockeying for manpower, funding, and a bigger empire at work.

Workplace culture: focused on what has been done in the past. New and different ideas are often viciously attacked and discredited.

The hardest part of the job: lack of coherent direction from management.

The most enjoyable part of the job: free coffee and tea.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Low compensation compared to cost of living
Flexible Hours
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 30, 2017
Many people work from home remotely and you can manage your calendar outside the office. Most of the time you can WebEx in and if you have a long commute that is an advantage.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Always living under the dark cloud of impending layoffs
No gym for working out
An Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 23, 2017
The company should provide more opportunities for the younger generations to lead and improve/advance the technologies within its products. Retire-Aged managers are rarely willing to listen for suggestions and stays too long.
great job lots of terrific colleagues, slow behemoth of a company, MGT a bit out of touch
Senior Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 23, 2017
great job, had chances at advancement but stymied by downturn in orders and business cycle. not nimble and its hurting right now many consultants to improve things and change direction, much lip service to change, but little change at the top and little real change. l think that there are many grat things about this company and when they achieve changes they will be great again, but they are really struggling right now and the business cycle isn't helping. morale is not high and management efforts do not seem to be addressing that
Pros
many great employees to work with, much to learn, great place to start, industry leader
Cons
stodgy, "heritage, heritage, heritage", not completely sure management is handling human resources/capital well
Excellent Company
RESPONSIBLE ENGINEER/ PRINCIPAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 23, 2017
Good company, with a good working environment. Many very educated and professional co-workers. Excellent programs and good facilities. Near great institutions and resources. Great place to live.
Pros
High quality programs
Cons
No issues
Low Morale and Poor Upper Management
Sr. Spacecraft Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 13, 2017
Have worked for the company for over 10 years in various positions. In the last couple of years especially after the sale to MDA there have been many changes. It hasn't helped that the Geo satellite market has been very thin the last couple of years. This has led to various rounds of layoffs that became especially bad in the last 2-3 years. Bad morale all throughout the company with many looking to jump ship as soon as given the opportunity somewhere else.

There have been no real significant merit increases lately and rumors abound of the next layoff coming very soon.

Upper Management really seems out of touch with the lower level employees. Really hard to feel optimistic about the company right now.
Pros
Work/Life balance, good people you work with, interesting work
Cons
Executive Management, No raises/bonuses
Modernizing Aerospace Company
Sr. Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 10, 2017
SSL is changing its company culture to be more appealing to younger engineers. SSL is looking for younger engineers to come in with fresh ideas to improve processes and position the company for government and New Space work.
challenging design and test of space hardware
engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 5, 2017
Opportunity to participate in challenging design and test of space hardware. Advancement of career in many aspects of the space industry for medium to large spacecraft
Terrible Company but good people
Lead Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 2, 2017
The people here make it worth working here. But the management make life difficult. No room for advancements. You only move up if you are part of the buddy system. Hard to make it a career here. Good stepping stone for new grads to get into aerospace.
Pros
Cons
Management, work life balance
I liked the AIT personnel I worked with day to day, but I feel upper management doesn't have a clear plan for the future of the company.
Communications Vehicle Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 26, 2017
About half of my time was spent on the manufacturing floor working with RF technicians to verify the performance of Geostationary Commercial Satellites. The other half was usually spent behind a computer preparing for the next test phase or updating procedures. The people I worked with directly were very pleasant and friendly, unfortunately I have a negative opinion of upper management because I was laid off less than 1 year into my first job out of college. Additionally, 2 other recent college grads started in the same position as me about 2 months after me, and they were so new they never had a performance review. But I was still the one who was laid off. While I enjoyed working there and the people I worked with, I feel that upper management does a poor job at planning for the future of the company and its employees. That being said, my direct managers seemed to do a good job.
Everyone for themselves - No team building
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 22, 2017
Unfortunately, with drastic changes to the culture, the good ole boys club prevails and not talent. People managers are not true people managers, but those looking to only better their own careers at the expense of others.
Pros
Better work life balance, the company has done a great job in this area
Cons
Again, everyone for themselves. Trust no one
Not a good place to work
Electrical Integration and Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 11, 2017
Not a good place for people that have worked before. To many managers way to top heavy company is doing layoffs in the wrong way. Fired alot of good people. Managers play favorites
Pros
Some good people
Cons
To many people stuck in there old ways
The employees are very talented.
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 10, 2017
I enjoy the work that I do at the company. I have always enjoyed coming into work. There are opportunities to move around within the company to keep it interesting.
Exciting place to work with good interactions with coworkers
Responsible Engineer, RF Comm (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 24, 2017
Good working relationships with enthusiastic people and challenging environment. Small company atmosphere. Opportunities for learning. Interaction with others outside of workgroup.
Pros
Open Door management policies
Cons
Some processes can be ad hoc
I cannot recommend
Sr. Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 19, 2017
Having spent nine years working in most of the Quality groups, and after supporting numerous areas in all types of manufacturing and test operations:

I cannot recommend Space Systems Loral as a place of employment.
Moving in the Right Direction
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 16, 2017
SSL is striving move towards the future in terms of technological advancements, this has been a grueling process in some manners but one that has been highly rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSL (Space Systems Loral). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9