SSM Health Employee Reviews

SSM is a great place to work Dean Health Plan, not so much.
Dean Health Plan (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 7, 2017
The workplace culture lacks diversity and opportunities for advancement. There is obvious nepotism and favoritism at play and if you are not a favorite, you're considered disposable. However, I did enjoy personally assisting members with their health insurance concerns, especially those with Medicare, ACA or Medicaid coverage.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Sitting all day and having to ask permission to take a break to go the bathroom
For a Christian hospital, they show no mercy
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2017
I loved the culture I worked in. I loved the job I had. I loved my coworkers. I loved my boss, until a new one took over. Once the new regime was in place (<a month) things changed. BIG TIME. It's a black and white culture, meaning just the facts, don't clutter investigations of issues with subjective information. So, keep your nose clean, eyes on your own work and don't be an individual.
Pros
Excellent work culture, scripture on the walls as art work, staff meet your eyes and great you using the 5ft/10ft rule
Cons
All objective, no subjective information to clarify issues.
Do not work here
Not Applicable (Current Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILJanuary 30, 2017
This organization has no chance of advancement. They prefer to hire from outside, instead of within. The salaried jobs are 9 to 10 hour days, often without breaks or lunch. The hourly jobs insist the nurses take lunch on the clock, even though they really do not get lunch. Administration needs to follow the nurses on the floor and see how they are overwhelmed and without support.
The red tape is over the top.There are many committees that bring about little change at a snails pace. Shared governance is not effective. Stay away if you value yourself and career. The culture is against any honesty about what is not working.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No breaks lunch, no opportunities for advancement
Very rewartding job working at SSM SLUH!
Neuro Surgery Care Partner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2017
I love being so intimate with my patients. Just being able to change someones mood with focusing on their needs and making them feel important. It comes quite natually to me. Even the tough ones seem to lightened up after some excellent tlc. Since i was a child i have always wanted to work in a hospital setting and its much more that i imagined.
Pros
Being able to make someones day!
Cons
Getting too attatched to patients.
Avoid the WI SSM (prior Dean) area
nope (Former Employee) –  nopeMarch 18, 2017
Southern WI is unstable right now.
Management is all interim, BUT out to prove they can still make huge changes within the many many clinics by the ole boys club "heavy handed" way of doing things. SSM is taking over 50 plus clinics, they have zero clue about clinics.
Dean clinics have always been a wonderful place to work.
Now that SSM has bought this company and inherited all the many clinics things are done so corporate and cold. Most all the primary care providers want out, many of the specialist have left and they cannot get anyone to replace them. As a patient I would have great reservations. As an employee I would be job hunting! Worse settings right now are the larger clinics: Worst is Janesville's. Then onto Madison West, East, Fish.
Pros
co-workers. patients
Cons
SSM buyout of DEAN
Ok
Front office support (Former Employee) –  Mexico, MOJanuary 16, 2017
All employees were nice for the most part. Management needs more communication and consistant training, instead of being trained by several people (not even the managers doing the training) SSM needs better benefits (instead of using vacation time as sick time)
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Lack of communication. Lack of training abilities, benefits are not good
The contact center
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 19, 2016
There are too many calls and not enough people to answer the phones. The coworkers are helpful but most of the managers dont know what they are doing, especially the director, who isnt a people person and is rude, disrespectful and has a poor atititude.
The hardest part of my job is taking calls back to back, its stressful.The most enjoyable part of my job are my coworkers.
Pros
Food day and fun Commitee
Cons
The Director and most of the managers
Busy but fun place to work
Corp Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MONovember 18, 2016
This company is a fun filled place to work for. You learn how claims are processed, how to bill/load insurances, how to deal with difficult calls etc. The management team is great and willing to help if time permits. The coworkers make it all worth while throughout the day to help the day go by. The hardest part of the the job would be having to deal with the different personalities but the most enjoyable part is knowing that you helped someone in the end.
Pros
Fun, team players
Cons
short lunches
Best Work-Life balance
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILMarch 6, 2017
In 7 years of nursing, my last two with SSM have been the least stressful due to having a healthy work life balance. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to work for this company. The staff that I have ahd the opportunity to work with have been wonderful. The group really works as a team to get things done.
They just don't care
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 5, 2016
Staff nurses and techs are over worked. Management constantly says we are non productive. ( if they can't make money off of you non productive). Staffing ratios are ridiculous.
They don't care that people do not follow the rules. People aren't held accountable to do their job;as evidence by they are still doing same things wrong and by the recent state penaltys
Virtually no seasoned staff. They have made the seasoned employees so miserable that they leave. Then they hire a newer nurse for less money.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Just about every thing
Great benefits
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WINovember 6, 2016
Great benefits and company is great to work for. Many people have compassion and care for you. Co-workers are great in most departments I worked in. I learned how to provide better customer service, help with provide schedules and what calls require immediate assistance versus those that do not. Most enjoyable thing about the job is that the company gave great about of earned time off per pay check.
Real prejudice always short staffed there's no team work at all nurses are lazy an don't like to help
Care Partner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2017
Not a good place for African-American they have their pics and chooses they're not understanding at all The nurses think they're better than the CNA they make u work hard then u suppose too an really unprofessional
Very good place to work
Staffing Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 26, 2016
I really enjoy working for SSM. I have really learned a lot. I work with a good group of people. On a typical day I receive about 100 inbound phone calls and I also make about 60 outbound call. The hardest part of my job is getting my hospitals staffed to grid on high volume days. I enjoy the complexity of my job.
Pros
I work with a good group of people. Our team work is strong.
Cons
2pm-12a schedule
Health Information Specialist
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  St Louis, MONovember 4, 2016
As a Health Information Specialist I take inbound calls for patients needing Physician referrals and information. I also work with Microsoft Office products on a daily. My position set up classes that SSM Hospitals are having. I make outbound calls to patients to set up appointments with other physician's they are referred to.
Enjoyable workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 15, 2016
The compensation is good for receptionist, as well as the ETO. But I can never seem to get the days I request off, so I can never use me ETO. I love working with patients and getting to know them, and my coworkers are wonderful as well. Management is very poor. You are treated disrespectfully and expected to take it with a smile.
Pros
good compensation and ETO, friendly work enviroment
Cons
Can't get a day off to use any ETO, management is rude
A lot of work and great coworkers.
Cash Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2017
SSM was a great place to work the coworkers was nice and the drive to and from work was decent. The benefit package was great.
Management wasn't the best in my opinion.
Pros
It was close to home and off on the weekends.
Cons
working hours wasnt the best.
It's an amazing place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 25, 2017
The company cares about patients and staffs.
Continued education is encouraged. The company
provides extensive training prior to any patient encounter,
therefore all nurses are knowledgeable of their jobs and up-to-date
with current industry practice guidelines.
Excellent workplace with moral values
Clinical Support Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2016
I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to work for SSM Health. I have advanced my career as a Clinical Support Nurse, and enjoy working for the behavior health hospital. I have had the opportunity to work with an outstanding management team.
Pros
Excellent management team
Cons
High turnover rate
n/a
nope (Former Employee) –  nopeFebruary 15, 2017
Management needs better training of employees daily tasks. Ssm wants to know where the $$ is. Check the employees sleeping at their desks, taking multiple long hour breaks and their lunch break. But the hard working employees are the disposable ones.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
management
SSM Health is a great company to work for
(Scheduler) Work (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOFebruary 13, 2017
SSM Health makes work the best to have to come to every morning. The training is very helpful and growing experience for me. I love being a part of SSM Health Care Group.
Pros
Everyone is very helpful
Cons
Transitioning over to new protocol

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSM Health. Our community is ready to answer.