SSM Health Employee Reviews

It is a good place to work.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MOFebruary 16, 2016
I like working with the people at SSM. The work was not difficult to master and I liked my coworkers. Management is very helpful and wants to see that we have everything we need to do our jobs to the best of our ability. The hardest part of the job for me was the lack of a challenge and no advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and meeting new people everyday. I loved interacting with the visitors and patients.
Nice place to work but not really accommodating for a young family
inter hospital float nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2016
I love to work as a float nurse in different floors. It expanded my nursing experience in different departments.

The management were very distant from staff as this is a very big organization. They are not even located in the hospital sites. Their absence is felt so much that you know it when you need them. I never met the CEO for the time I was there, saw the chief nursing officer only once.
Co-workers are great to work with as we were a team and helped each other.
Hardest part is that compensation and care for the staff were very poor.

Most enjoyable is that staff always have each others back as a team.
Pros
Serving the patient, and being a team as nurses
Cons
Poor compensation and insensitive to staff needs.
Poor communication
mininon (Former Employee) –  ssm healthFebruary 19, 2016
No one is held accountable, this is evident by the continued behaviors. Employees do not complete assigned task. Do not follow infection control policies, frequently break sterility, however when questioned deny it. No follow through from management. If you are told you will have so many weeks orientation expect to be on your own right away. Management sees employees as warm bodies. very little if any recognition, in fact management does not even know when an employee gave enhanced care to a patient, preventing major catastrophe for the patient, as well as a hospital admission. The need for speed out weighs patient safety. co workers do not act as a team, do not help out with short scheduling,
Pros
nothing
Cons
see above
Was a great place just a few years ago
Other (Current Employee) –  OtherFebruary 24, 2016
Overworked and short staffed. It is a bad thing when there are more C-Level management than people that actually do the work. Management has NO respect for there employees anymore. The most difficult part of the job is listening to management talk about how great they are doing when you know all the matrix are false because your boss told you to fix the numbers so that they look good. The only real perk about the job is that we do get to work from home if the weather is bad. However, before the new management we worked from home 4 days a week and actually accomplished more.
Pros
NONE
Cons
poor insurance, Low Pay, short staffed
Good place to work, horrible management for my department
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 13, 2016
Well I've been working with this company for about 7 months. It's a great place to work. I love working with the patients, I love the staff but management in my department is HORRIBLE! It's the worst management I've ever had to deal with. Managers talk about employees, we've overheard them talk about us in a very bad way. They are disrespectful & talk to you however they please & they expect you to be nice in return. Maybe if management in my department was to get better, it would be a great place to work & the turn over rate wouldn't be so high.
Pros
Great place to work, good hours. 1 weekend a month expected to work.
Cons
Low pay rate, rude management.
Productive and fun place to work. Very Diverse and friendly people
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2016
Office usually pretty busy and fast paced. Doctors are really friendly and patient focused. Co-workers really make the time at work pass by with the constant fun and activities. The hardest part would of the job would be staying on time with all the patients and making sure everything is done by the end of the day. The most enjoyable part is making a difference and seeing the smiles on patients faces when leaving the facility.
Pros
Friendly staff, random snacks from managment, office games
Cons
short breaks
Little to no opportunities for advancement in behavioral health
Psychiatric Therapist (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 9, 2016
Behavioral Health technicians, Psychiatric Therapists, are paid little in relation to the amount of responsibility that is expected. There is little pay incentive and no chance of promotion. Also when there is a patient escalated event where a staff member gets hurt, there is little support of said staff member. Staff is very aware that this company's only focus is making money not staff safety. Also cafeteria food is poor but still priced like it is excellent.
SSM corporate is excellent place to be.
Data abstractor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2016
Corporate continues to work toward improving quality in each facility to rise as leaders in healthcare over time. Facilities management young and not bold in their knowledge/education of corporate leadership and still in need of seasoning to improve the growth overall.
Pros
Corporate employees enjoy many "perks" of employment of leading health provider
Cons
Area facilities for MO not able to appreciate the same perks, when they are actually providing the care.
Patient Access Rep Madison Wisconsin
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 23, 2016
Management and Corporate are not professional at all. After a scheduling mishap on MANAGEMENTS part i was told that id be fired by one of the staff. THEN after contacting corporate 4 different times i was still given the run around because nobody contacted me to either tell me i was still employed or terminated. That was March 1st 2016 and its almost June. Oh an the other day i received insurance cards for vision and dental coverage from them. Management is very lazy and unprofessional. And at this point i dont even want the job back but i do however want aknowledgement of what staff and management are not doing there and i will be the voice for the people. I loved my job and I was good at it. But they still treated me wrong and the rest of the staff too. I witnessed ALOT of bad things while there. I miss my coworkers and patients also.
Pros
Patients and other Patient Reps i worked with
Cons
Corporate not very reliable and the management wasnt very professional
Account Receivable postitions
Clerical Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 24, 2016
Team player responsible for, but not limited to, A/R processing, working denials, calling insurance companies, working write-offs and charge adjustment as directed by physicians, worked overtime when needed to meet quotas and days in A/R. Great management team to include 4 coworkers, supervisor to director of Financial Billing office. There was nothing hard about my job since I have be doing medical billing positions for the last 28 years, The most enjoyable is part is knowing that I perform my job correctly and efficiently.
Pros
Reduced lunches with meetings at hospital
Not good leadership
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2016
The move to corporitization, especially within the hr functions, was ill-conceived and managed. There was no plan and MANY things fell thru the cracks. Corporate is very far removed from the floor and makes decisions based on what they think NOT any empirical data.

C suite does not care what the employees want, despite the employees have repeatedly told them year after year after year in the engagement surveys. C suite always chalks it up to the ee's not understanding the question or not understanding the efforts they say they have put forth to address the survey. C suite does not seem to understand that if ee's are misunderstanding what has been down to address issues, maybe, just maybe, they are not focusing on the right things. C-suite is never wrong and that's a problem.
Rn icu
RN ICU (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2016
Worse staffing at any hospital in STL. Nursing is so amazingly understaffed, overworked and responsible for some very sick, highly involved patients. However the staff is GOOD, knowledgeable, and team oriented. The pay for RNS is the best in STL, benefits tho are not great.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible, dangerous staffing
great place to work
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 7, 2016
great place to work. you can advance in this company, also ssm believe in continue your education. They also have good benefits for a single and family. They are flexible with work hours
Can be a fun place to work at times.
3rd Party follow up/Denial auditor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 9, 2016
SSM Health has great values although some departments need better training in regards to management interpersonal skills and overall training method. I believe SSM Health is rising to the top but in order to keep rising some things need to be reviewed, confronted and changed immediately .
Great Pay, Benefits, and Co-Workers
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 16, 2016
Health Insurance in Oklahoma was fabulous. Great pay for RN's but not tech's. Co-workers were great to work with. Upper management keeps a watchful eye out for trouble makers or employees with a negative attitude. If you get targeted "that way" by upper management you would soon be fired. I worked here ten years. Watch your P's and Q's and all will be fine. Never be late. Never gossip. Don't complaint about your job or management. If you can do all these things, you can work at SSM Oklahoma with no problems. I only left because my husband accepted a job out of state.
Pros
Medical Insurance
Cons
Upper Management
okay company
Physician Recruiter (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 1, 2016
Pay is awful for the work the employees put in. There are great people in this organization, but they are certainly not compensated for all their hard work
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Pay is low to market, leadership takes no accountability
denials insurance rep
Corporate Third Party Follow-Up /Denials Rep (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2016
I just want to add that I am in need of a change. SSM health is a great place to work and I have been here 10+ years, and in need of a change with more financial gain and want to work for a company that prides itself on self promoting employees.
Pros
relationships I have here
Cons
it does not seem that promotion within the company is important
8/10
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 20, 2015
Pretty decent job, i'd recommend it. Good benefits, management is nice. Pay could be better/ more competitive. Overtime available.
Pros
fun events
Cons
coworkers can be unprofessional
Great people
therapist mental health (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 6, 2015
A fun, challenging, fast paced work environment with amazing co-workers. Mission minded employees, reactive management in behavioral health with little opportunity for advancement for high performers.
Terrible pharmacy director
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOApril 25, 2016
DePaul it's self is a nice hospital. However the director and team leader of pharmacy are running it to the ground. Work conditions are terrible. They require way too much of their employees yet they do not offer us the tools we need to do the work correctly and safely. However the employees are great in all departments. They're they only reason I stayed as long as I did
Pros
Team work with coworkers
Cons
The director and team leader are horrible liars