SSM Health Employee Reviews in United States

They don't care about their employees
Pre registration (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 15, 2016
The pay was pretty good but their management sucks.. They don't even know the policies or how to find them.. The management can't do the job they are managing or answer questions about it. They play favoritism and do not care about their employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good place to work, horrible management for my department
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 13, 2016
Well I've been working with this company for about 7 months. It's a great place to work. I love working with the patients, I love the staff but management in my department is HORRIBLE! It's the worst management I've ever had to deal with. Managers talk about employees, we've overheard them talk about us in a very bad way. They are disrespectful & talk to you however they please & they expect you to be nice in return. Maybe if management in my department was to get better, it would be a great place to work & the turn over rate wouldn't be so high.
Pros
Great place to work, good hours. 1 weekend a month expected to work.
Cons
Low pay rate, rude management.
Review of Lake St. Louis Hospital Lab
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOJune 1, 2016
Very heavy workload with hardly any time for breaks
Management was very unprofessional with staff
PTO was great
Because of the management, the employees did not get along
Constantly out to get each other with no attempt at teamwork
I felt like the focus was on quantity, not quality
It was more important to be fast than safe, but they acted as if they cared about safety
You were told that you had to participate in the Press Gainey Surveys to give them a good rating. If you did not think they were spectacular, they tried to sway your opinion and tell you to pick strongly agree when you did not agree. You were always coached before a survey. Almost everyone was unhappy even if they did not indicate it on the survey, because they felt like the survey was not actually confidential, and that if they were honest, there may be retaliation from management. I found out later that the survey was optional.
Employees future employment was threatened if someone tried to leave the company, saying that they would be able to make it so that they would not be able to find another job

You did not have time to talk to patients
Emails from management were very distasteful
The departments were disorganized
You were berated when you tried to do the best you could
They hardly ever stood up for their employees if there was a complaint from another department. It was always your fault.
They always wanted you to change your whole life around to fit their needs when somebody quit or got fired, asking you to work your all of your days off. If you said no, you were made to feel guilty and
  more... it showed up on the evaluation as inflexible. Some people worked 14 days straight, or double shifts on a regular basis because they were afraid to say no. Everybody was always mentally and physically exhausted and complaining about their job  less
Pros
PTO
Cons
Hardly got a lunch break and was always exhausted
Patient Access Rep Madison Wisconsin
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 23, 2016
Management and Corporate are not professional at all. After a scheduling mishap on MANAGEMENTS part i was told that id be fired by one of the staff. THEN after contacting corporate 4 different times i was still given the run around because nobody contacted me to either tell me i was still employed or terminated. That was March 1st 2016 and its almost June. Oh an the other day i received insurance cards for vision and dental coverage from them. Management is very lazy and unprofessional. And at this point i dont even want the job back but i do however want aknowledgement of what staff and management are not doing there and i will be the voice for the people. I loved my job and I was good at it. But they still treated me wrong and the rest of the staff too. I witnessed ALOT of bad things while there. I miss my coworkers and patients also.
Pros
Patients and other Patient Reps i worked with
Cons
Corporate not very reliable and the management wasnt very professional
SSM has taught me a life time of skills. They strive to make employees happy and retainable.
Quality Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2016
Company believes in accuracy and education. We have our own education department. New hires get training and will comment on how nice that we have training. The hardest part of the job is the drive to work and the most fun is enjoying our activities that the "Fun" committee initiates.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
healthcare, parking
Terrible pharmacy director
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOApril 25, 2016
DePaul it's self is a nice hospital. However the director and team leader of pharmacy are running it to the ground. Work conditions are terrible. They require way too much of their employees yet they do not offer us the tools we need to do the work correctly and safely. However the employees are great in all departments. They're they only reason I stayed as long as I did
Pros
Team work with coworkers
Cons
The director and team leader are horrible liars
CSR - Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOApril 18, 2016
You need to have extreme patience with micromanagement. Once that is out of the way you have a great place of employment.
Great Pay, Benefits, and Co-Workers
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 16, 2016
Health Insurance in Oklahoma was fabulous. Great pay for RN's but not tech's. Co-workers were great to work with. Upper management keeps a watchful eye out for trouble makers or employees with a negative attitude. If you get targeted "that way" by upper management you would soon be fired. I worked here ten years. Watch your P's and Q's and all will be fine. Never be late. Never gossip. Don't complaint about your job or management. If you can do all these things, you can work at SSM Oklahoma with no problems. I only left because my husband accepted a job out of state.
Pros
Medical Insurance
Cons
Upper Management
Not good leadership
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2016
The move to corporitization, especially within the hr functions, was ill-conceived and managed. There was no plan and MANY things fell thru the cracks. Corporate is very far removed from the floor and makes decisions based on what they think NOT any empirical data.

C suite does not care what the employees want, despite the employees have repeatedly told them year after year after year in the engagement surveys. C suite always chalks it up to the ee's not understanding the question or not understanding the efforts they say they have put forth to address the survey. C suite does not seem to understand that if ee's are misunderstanding what has been down to address issues, maybe, just maybe, they are not focusing on the right things. C-suite is never wrong and that's a problem.
Rn icu
RN ICU (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2016
Worse staffing at any hospital in STL. Nursing is so amazingly understaffed, overworked and responsible for some very sick, highly involved patients. However the staff is GOOD, knowledgeable, and team oriented. The pay for RNS is the best in STL, benefits tho are not great.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible, dangerous staffing
okay company
Physician Recruiter (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 1, 2016
Pay is awful for the work the employees put in. There are great people in this organization, but they are certainly not compensated for all their hard work
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Pay is low to market, leadership takes no accountability
Excellent patient services
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 30, 2016
Overall good company. Could be stronger in managing change and leadership development. Very good reputation with and strong focus on patient care.
Patient and Safety centered
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MO 63044March 20, 2016
Educator was very knowledgeable and did a great job teaching CPI and about overall patient safety. Staff consistently demonstrated these skills.
Can be a fun place to work at times.
3rd Party follow up/Denial auditor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 9, 2016
SSM Health has great values although some departments need better training in regards to management interpersonal skills and overall training method. I believe SSM Health is rising to the top but in order to keep rising some things need to be reviewed, confronted and changed immediately .
great place to work
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 7, 2016
great place to work. you can advance in this company, also ssm believe in continue your education. They also have good benefits for a single and family. They are flexible with work hours
SSM corporate is excellent place to be.
Data abstractor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2016
Corporate continues to work toward improving quality in each facility to rise as leaders in healthcare over time. Facilities management young and not bold in their knowledge/education of corporate leadership and still in need of seasoning to improve the growth overall.
Pros
Corporate employees enjoy many "perks" of employment of leading health provider
Cons
Area facilities for MO not able to appreciate the same perks, when they are actually providing the care.
Was a great place just a few years ago
Other (Current Employee) –  OtherFebruary 24, 2016
Overworked and short staffed. It is a bad thing when there are more C-Level management than people that actually do the work. Management has NO respect for there employees anymore. The most difficult part of the job is listening to management talk about how great they are doing when you know all the matrix are false because your boss told you to fix the numbers so that they look good. The only real perk about the job is that we do get to work from home if the weather is bad. However, before the new management we worked from home 4 days a week and actually accomplished more.
Pros
NONE
Cons
poor insurance, Low Pay, short staffed
Poor communication
mininon (Former Employee) –  ssm healthFebruary 19, 2016
No one is held accountable, this is evident by the continued behaviors. Employees do not complete assigned task. Do not follow infection control policies, frequently break sterility, however when questioned deny it. No follow through from management. If you are told you will have so many weeks orientation expect to be on your own right away. Management sees employees as warm bodies. very little if any recognition, in fact management does not even know when an employee gave enhanced care to a patient, preventing major catastrophe for the patient, as well as a hospital admission. The need for speed out weighs patient safety. co workers do not act as a team, do not help out with short scheduling,
Pros
nothing
Cons
see above
It is a good place to work.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MOFebruary 16, 2016
I like working with the people at SSM. The work was not difficult to master and I liked my coworkers. Management is very helpful and wants to see that we have everything we need to do our jobs to the best of our ability. The hardest part of the job for me was the lack of a challenge and no advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and meeting new people everyday. I loved interacting with the visitors and patients.
Account Receivable postitions
Clerical Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 24, 2016
Team player responsible for, but not limited to, A/R processing, working denials, calling insurance companies, working write-offs and charge adjustment as directed by physicians, worked overtime when needed to meet quotas and days in A/R. Great management team to include 4 coworkers, supervisor to director of Financial Billing office. There was nothing hard about my job since I have be doing medical billing positions for the last 28 years, The most enjoyable is part is knowing that I perform my job correctly and efficiently.
Pros
Reduced lunches with meetings at hospital
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSM Health. Our community is ready to answer.