SSM Health Employee Reviews

Very rewartding job working at SSM SLUH!
Neuro Surgery Care Partner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2017
I love being so intimate with my patients. Just being able to change someones mood with focusing on their needs and making them feel important. It comes quite natually to me. Even the tough ones seem to lightened up after some excellent tlc. Since i was a child i have always wanted to work in a hospital setting and its much more that i imagined.
Pros
Being able to make someones day!
Cons
Getting too attatched to patients.
The contact center
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 19, 2016
There are too many calls and not enough people to answer the phones. The coworkers are helpful but most of the managers dont know what they are doing, especially the director, who isnt a people person and is rude, disrespectful and has a poor atititude.
The hardest part of my job is taking calls back to back, its stressful.The most enjoyable part of my job are my coworkers.
Pros
Food day and fun Commitee
Cons
The Director and most of the managers
Busy but fun place to work
Corp Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MONovember 18, 2016
This company is a fun filled place to work for. You learn how claims are processed, how to bill/load insurances, how to deal with difficult calls etc. The management team is great and willing to help if time permits. The coworkers make it all worth while throughout the day to help the day go by. The hardest part of the the job would be having to deal with the different personalities but the most enjoyable part is knowing that you helped someone in the end.
Pros
Fun, team players
Cons
short lunches
They just don't care
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 5, 2016
Staff nurses and techs are over worked. Management constantly says we are non productive. ( if they can't make money off of you non productive). Staffing ratios are ridiculous.
They don't care that people do not follow the rules. People aren't held accountable to do their job;as evidence by they are still doing same things wrong and by the recent state penaltys
Virtually no seasoned staff. They have made the seasoned employees so miserable that they leave. Then they hire a newer nurse for less money.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Just about every thing
Great benefits
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WINovember 6, 2016
Great benefits and company is great to work for. Many people have compassion and care for you. Co-workers are great in most departments I worked in. I learned how to provide better customer service, help with provide schedules and what calls require immediate assistance versus those that do not. Most enjoyable thing about the job is that the company gave great about of earned time off per pay check.
Very good place to work
Staffing Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 26, 2016
I really enjoy working for SSM. I have really learned a lot. I work with a good group of people. On a typical day I receive about 100 inbound phone calls and I also make about 60 outbound call. The hardest part of my job is getting my hospitals staffed to grid on high volume days. I enjoy the complexity of my job.
Pros
I work with a good group of people. Our team work is strong.
Cons
2pm-12a schedule
Enjoyable workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 15, 2016
The compensation is good for receptionist, as well as the ETO. But I can never seem to get the days I request off, so I can never use me ETO. I love working with patients and getting to know them, and my coworkers are wonderful as well. Management is very poor. You are treated disrespectfully and expected to take it with a smile.
Pros
good compensation and ETO, friendly work enviroment
Cons
Can't get a day off to use any ETO, management is rude
Ok
Front office support (Former Employee) –  Mexico, MOJanuary 16, 2017
All employees were nice for the most part. Management needs more communication and consistant training, instead of being trained by several people (not even the managers doing the training) SSM needs better benefits (instead of using vacation time as sick time)
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Lack of communication. Lack of training abilities, benefits are not good
Health Information Specialist
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  St Louis, MONovember 4, 2016
As a Health Information Specialist I take inbound calls for patients needing Physician referrals and information. I also work with Microsoft Office products on a daily. My position set up classes that SSM Hospitals are having. I make outbound calls to patients to set up appointments with other physician's they are referred to.
Excellent workplace with moral values
Clinical Support Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2016
I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to work for SSM Health. I have advanced my career as a Clinical Support Nurse, and enjoy working for the behavior health hospital. I have had the opportunity to work with an outstanding management team.
Pros
Excellent management team
Cons
High turnover rate
Don't have visible tattoos
Computer Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 17, 2016
I was fired for having tattoos and not covering them. I was the ONLY employee in the entire company with visible tattoos asked to do so. They are not fair with their dress code.
Pros
Employees for the most part are very friendly
Cons
Desktop Manager is very arrogant, company is unfair with dress code pertaining to tattoos.
Pretty good
Surgical Services Inventory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 12, 2016
Overall a good work environment, I personally don't think they compensate their workers enough but other than that I don't have many complaints. I enjoy helping people and knowing what I do makes a difference.
Pros
Solid hours, sometimes there is free lunch, my supervisors are easy to work with
Cons
Compensation
denials insurance rep
Corporate Third Party Follow-Up /Denials Rep (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2016
I just want to add that I am in need of a change. SSM health is a great place to work and I have been here 10+ years, and in need of a change with more financial gain and want to work for a company that prides itself on self promoting employees.
Pros
relationships I have here
Cons
it does not seem that promotion within the company is important
Productive, RN = family atmosphere
Registered Nurse, Medical/Surgical/Oncology (Current Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOOctober 13, 2016
Days are long, but the staff is very supportive of each other. All staff treat each other with respect and are treated like family. Family first.
Thorough MD's, FNP and support staff.
Pros
encouragement for advancement
Cons
All RN's compensated the same regardless of education
Little to no opportunities for advancement in behavioral health
Psychiatric Therapist (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 9, 2016
Behavioral Health technicians, Psychiatric Therapists, are paid little in relation to the amount of responsibility that is expected. There is little pay incentive and no chance of promotion. Also when there is a patient escalated event where a staff member gets hurt, there is little support of said staff member. Staff is very aware that this company's only focus is making money not staff safety. Also cafeteria food is poor but still priced like it is excellent.
Great Place to start a career
customer service capacity interacting (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2016
I am Happy to be apart of SSM team. I wish they would open their window and allow you to go to doctor's of your choice .

I also wish we had paid HOLIDAYS off and didn't have to use our PTO for holidays
Pros
you accumulate pto per paycheck
Cons
you have to use pto for holiday pay
N/a
PBS Self-Pay Follow Up Representative (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MONovember 22, 2016
I think that this is a good company but there are many things that can be fixed. I think that management to take the time out to know exactly what their employees do on a day to day basis.
Pros
You can take a hour lunch
Cons
NO Holiday Pay, No Vacation time, No sick time
Productive and fun place to work. Very Diverse and friendly people
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2016
Office usually pretty busy and fast paced. Doctors are really friendly and patient focused. Co-workers really make the time at work pass by with the constant fun and activities. The hardest part would of the job would be staying on time with all the patients and making sure everything is done by the end of the day. The most enjoyable part is making a difference and seeing the smiles on patients faces when leaving the facility.
Pros
Friendly staff, random snacks from managment, office games
Cons
short breaks
Nice place to work but not really accommodating for a young family
inter hospital float nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2016
I love to work as a float nurse in different floors. It expanded my nursing experience in different departments.

The management were very distant from staff as this is a very big organization. They are not even located in the hospital sites. Their absence is felt so much that you know it when you need them. I never met the CEO for the time I was there, saw the chief nursing officer only once.
Co-workers are great to work with as we were a team and helped each other.
Hardest part is that compensation and care for the staff were very poor.

Most enjoyable is that staff always have each others back as a team.
Pros
Serving the patient, and being a team as nurses
Cons
Poor compensation and insensitive to staff needs.
Productive work place known for excellence in patient care
Senior Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOOctober 27, 2016
Very pleasant place to work; very supportive co-workers to make it a joy to attend work each day. The learning opportunities were endless with support for continuing education development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSM Health. Our community is ready to answer.