SSM Health Employee Reviews

Great Place to start a career
customer service capacity interacting (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2016
I am Happy to be apart of SSM team. I wish they would open their window and allow you to go to doctor's of your choice .

I also wish we had paid HOLIDAYS off and didn't have to use our PTO for holidays
Pros
you accumulate pto per paycheck
Cons
you have to use pto for holiday pay
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Saint louis,moSeptember 30, 2016
Great place to start hospital career. Benefits are great and it a good place to advance in the health care field with the choice to work in different areas of the hospital.
Good management.
Physical Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 29, 2016
Work day depend on schedule
What I learned is business is in business to make money.
Management is managed by the Corporation, they follow orders.
Co-workers is either a team or not/
Pros
Love co-workers and residents
Cons
work suroundings
denials insurance rep
Corporate Third Party Follow-Up /Denials Rep (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2016
I just want to add that I am in need of a change. SSM health is a great place to work and I have been here 10+ years, and in need of a change with more financial gain and want to work for a company that prides itself on self promoting employees.
Pros
relationships I have here
Cons
it does not seem that promotion within the company is important
Not for everyone
FT Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Expect many workers to be loyal and but are not always loyal to workers. Resistant to advancing long term employees to better working conditions.
Pros
Paid holidays, PTO time
Cons
no free lunches, no free coffee, no advancement available to some people
Little to no opportunities for advancement in behavioral health
Psychiatric Therapist (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 9, 2016
Behavioral Health technicians, Psychiatric Therapists, are paid little in relation to the amount of responsibility that is expected. There is little pay incentive and no chance of promotion. Also when there is a patient escalated event where a staff member gets hurt, there is little support of said staff member. Staff is very aware that this company's only focus is making money not staff safety. Also cafeteria food is poor but still priced like it is excellent.
Room for advancement
Care Partner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2016
This is a great company to work for. Love the benefits and the tuition reimbursement. I will recommend this company to people looking for employment.
Productive and fun place to work. Very Diverse and friendly people
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2016
Office usually pretty busy and fast paced. Doctors are really friendly and patient focused. Co-workers really make the time at work pass by with the constant fun and activities. The hardest part would of the job would be staying on time with all the patients and making sure everything is done by the end of the day. The most enjoyable part is making a difference and seeing the smiles on patients faces when leaving the facility.
Pros
Friendly staff, random snacks from managment, office games
Cons
short breaks
productive
Surgical Technologists (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILJuly 25, 2016
Great place to work. The staff worked well as a team. They are very understanding with personal issues. Only down fall was breaks and lunch. Trying to find someone to cover them.
Pros
worked as a team
Cons
short breaks or if we got any
Staff under paid
Patient Access Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 24, 2016
Workflows are unrealistic. Staff expectations are unrealistic in conjunction with the pay and work.
Nice place to work but not really accommodating for a young family
inter hospital float nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2016
I love to work as a float nurse in different floors. It expanded my nursing experience in different departments.

The management were very distant from staff as this is a very big organization. They are not even located in the hospital sites. Their absence is felt so much that you know it when you need them. I never met the CEO for the time I was there, saw the chief nursing officer only once.
Co-workers are great to work with as we were a team and helped each other.
Hardest part is that compensation and care for the staff were very poor.

Most enjoyable is that staff always have each others back as a team.
Pros
Serving the patient, and being a team as nurses
Cons
Poor compensation and insensitive to staff needs.
They don't care about their employees
Pre registration (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 15, 2016
The pay was pretty good but their management sucks.. They don't even know the policies or how to find them.. The management can't do the job they are managing or answer questions about it. They play favoritism and do not care about their employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good place to work, horrible management for my department
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 13, 2016
Well I've been working with this company for about 7 months. It's a great place to work. I love working with the patients, I love the staff but management in my department is HORRIBLE! It's the worst management I've ever had to deal with. Managers talk about employees, we've overheard them talk about us in a very bad way. They are disrespectful & talk to you however they please & they expect you to be nice in return. Maybe if management in my department was to get better, it would be a great place to work & the turn over rate wouldn't be so high.
Pros
Great place to work, good hours. 1 weekend a month expected to work.
Cons
Low pay rate, rude management.
Review of Lake St. Louis Hospital Lab
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOJune 1, 2016
Very heavy workload with hardly any time for breaks
Management was very unprofessional with staff
PTO was great
Because of the management, the employees did not get along
Constantly out to get each other with no attempt at teamwork
I felt like the focus was on quantity, not quality
It was more important to be fast than safe, but they acted as if they cared about safety
You were told that you had to participate in the Press Gainey Surveys to give them a good rating. If you did not think they were spectacular, they tried to sway your opinion and tell you to pick strongly agree when you did not agree. You were always coached before a survey. Almost everyone was unhappy even if they did not indicate it on the survey, because they felt like the survey was not actually confidential, and that if they were honest, there may be retaliation from management. I found out later that the survey was optional.
Employees future employment was threatened if someone tried to leave the company, saying that they would be able to make it so that they would not be able to find another job

You did not have time to talk to patients
Emails from management were very distasteful
The departments were disorganized
You were berated when you tried to do the best you could
They hardly ever stood up for their employees if there was a complaint from another department. It was always your fault.
They always wanted you to change your whole life around to fit their needs when somebody quit or got fired, asking you to work your all of your days off. If you said no, you were made to feel guilty and
  more... it showed up on the evaluation as inflexible. Some people worked 14 days straight, or double shifts on a regular basis because they were afraid to say no. Everybody was always mentally and physically exhausted and complaining about their job  less
Pros
PTO
Cons
Hardly got a lunch break and was always exhausted
Excellent place to work
LPN, Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake Ozark, MOMay 31, 2016
Good group of people to work with. Very caring and compassionate about the patient. Busy Walk-In Clinic with Family Practice. Different types of patient's and illness to learn.
Patient Access Rep Madison Wisconsin
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 23, 2016
Management and Corporate are not professional at all. After a scheduling mishap on MANAGEMENTS part i was told that id be fired by one of the staff. THEN after contacting corporate 4 different times i was still given the run around because nobody contacted me to either tell me i was still employed or terminated. That was March 1st 2016 and its almost June. Oh an the other day i received insurance cards for vision and dental coverage from them. Management is very lazy and unprofessional. And at this point i dont even want the job back but i do however want aknowledgement of what staff and management are not doing there and i will be the voice for the people. I loved my job and I was good at it. But they still treated me wrong and the rest of the staff too. I witnessed ALOT of bad things while there. I miss my coworkers and patients also.
Pros
Patients and other Patient Reps i worked with
Cons
Corporate not very reliable and the management wasnt very professional
SSM has taught me a life time of skills. They strive to make employees happy and retainable.
Quality Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2016
Company believes in accuracy and education. We have our own education department. New hires get training and will comment on how nice that we have training. The hardest part of the job is the drive to work and the most fun is enjoying our activities that the "Fun" committee initiates.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
healthcare, parking
Terrible pharmacy director
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOApril 25, 2016
DePaul it's self is a nice hospital. However the director and team leader of pharmacy are running it to the ground. Work conditions are terrible. They require way too much of their employees yet they do not offer us the tools we need to do the work correctly and safely. However the employees are great in all departments. They're they only reason I stayed as long as I did
Pros
Team work with coworkers
Cons
The director and team leader are horrible liars
Great Oppurtunity
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 20, 2016
A day working for SSM is a great experience, its very fast paced. I learned how important it is to make sure hospital patients have the supplies they need. I have some great co-workers that I work with. The hardest part of the job is organization and communication. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you helping hospital patients and other SSM health care staff.
CSR - Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOApril 18, 2016
You need to have extreme patience with micromanagement. Once that is out of the way you have a great place of employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSM Health. Our community is ready to answer.