SSP America Employee Reviews

Not a great company
Cashier/Food Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2017
One tip, don't join the union if you're going to work with them. I didn't have a good experience with this company and the doors on this company spun at lightspeed.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Airport fast food
Very productive and hands on
line cook (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 7, 2017
I loved working as a line cook but the management and team were not as one. the job in itself was very hands on fun and very easy to learn. the hardest part of the job was having to pick up the next persons slack due to being short handed.
Productive and Fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 4, 2017
It is an a great job. There are a lot of great opportunities and access to learning tools. It has great staff and a great atmosphere to work at. Very lenient and understanding management.
Stable but demanding with a high turnover rate.
Cook II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034April 30, 2017
This is a good company to work for overall the compensation is below my desired wage and does not reciprocate the amount of labour I put in. Wages are set through negotiations between the company and the union so it's very hard to earn merit raises if you stand out for your hard work, as giving raises to the hardest workers would violate the pre-established contract already set in place for everyone. We get a 15 cent raise every couple months regardless of if you're an outstanding worker or an underachiever. That causes many good workers to quit and thus leads to a high turnover rate, also at time the job is very demanding which weeds out the slackers during our on season. The work life balance is fine for most people but for me it's disproportioned and that's my own fault for attaining a position where my boss and co-workers depend on me hella. This job is a great job to refine your work ethic because there is never an absence of activities to complete but then again that is the downside because no matter how hard you work your pay will top out at $13.00 an hour regardless. The only step after that is to become salaried and good luck if you have no degree, previous management experience or seniority within the company. During flex season they put their best players on the roster and you can potentially work 70, 80, 90 even 100+ hours a week during those peak seasons. The benefits are great after three months you qualify for vision, dental and medical which is deducted directly from each paycheck. After one year you earn up to two weeks of PTO. I made the best out of this job  more... every single day and I've thrived so I can't really say anything bad about it just personally my food and work quality is superb, I've hit my head on the ceiling and now my time is worth more than . I respect my G.M. though and I can't leave him dry without someone good enough to replace me.  less
Pros
Overtime, Opportunity to Gain Experience, Disciplinary Lenient
Cons
Demanding, Low Wage Ceiling, Lazy Management
very productive and fun working there.
Expoditor/line cook (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 24, 2017
we have very hard working people, team player, and customer care. we make sure they're being taking care of all the time and can return back by the good review.
great job, bad management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2017
I enjoyed this job. I helped build the restaurant I managed and had great support in the beginning. We had weekly meetings with our director who explained in detail what he expected. As time went on though things started to go south and it was all due to lack of communication from upper management to lower management. I would work for the company again just not here in Tampa.
Horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  JFK airportApril 10, 2017
Worked for this company for a year, Management is very poor, favoritism plays a lot at this company.Too much work for so little pay, AGAIN FAVORITISM PLAYS ALOT AT THIS JOB
Pros
Tips
Cons
Poor management
bad
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77032April 6, 2017
This place is very unorganized and management is not helpful. It's an easy job to keep, but lacks professionalism. They move you around their property because they're always short staffed and sometimes you work by yourself and management doesnt give you breaks.
Fun work palce
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2017
Worked multi-units
Focused on labor, food cost
Focused on stocking the units with grab n' go products, b/l/w
Focused on customer service
Focused on ticket times
Tons of turnover
Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 27, 2017
When first started it wasnt so bad of a company, They lost a key manager and it all went south from there. Tons of turnover and just a lack of care for employees
fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 23, 2017
ssp america was a great place to work got to meet a lot of famous people and learn from many different people and hope that I could return there when a job opportunity
kichen
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2017
• Assigned food prep duties and set up line before dining room opened
• Organized walk-ins and dry food storage
• Received and separated product shipments for storage
• Responsible for kitchen closing duties; maintained a clean and organized working area, put away pastries
Has a union and other great benefits
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMarch 20, 2017
Moving up is scarce and management is inexperienced. The restaurants are usually understaffed. But 50% discount on all stores under ssp. Pto accrual, and health care.
Ssp is a good company but stay away from the jfk location
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 12, 2017
A very toxic company all managers work very hard because all units are always short staffed and the upper management expect you to make something out of nothing you can get fired if the gm is having a bad day
Pros
Manager's eat for free
Cons
To many to name
Fun workplace and great co-workers
Server (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 26, 2017
SSP is a fast paced environment. Everything is moving round the clock, so we tend to stay busy. Everybody has great individual personality. Everybody works together,lightening the load of your shoulders, and have fun in the process.
Pros
Half-off
Cons
Malnourish management
good overall rating
Cook, Food (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 23, 2017
a good company to work for.
plenty of overtime or flexed work schedules for those who have children or those who attend college
A good company which is a stabled food service company in the airport all over the united states in over 60 air ports
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the customer and preparing the different food entrees for the vendors and the customers.
Rotating scheduling
very good rating and every good pay raises and promotions within 2 years
The most enjoyable part of this job is working until the entire job is completed. The management has weekly meeting and new agendas for the employees There is no hard part of the job and everyday working and preparing food is a good experience and practice in the food industry.
Pros
good pay, stock options, flex schedule, good pay raises, vacation
Cons
very hard workl when others do not show up for work
Great experience
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 17, 2017
I have had a great time working at Ssp. It offers different things every day so things never get repetitive. Be ready to learn on the job as there is a multitude of things to learn.
Pros
Great management. Good pay. Regular breaks. Fun staff.
Cons
Hours can be inconsistent due to the nature of flying.
Steady work and flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2017
I like this company because I always knew my schedule. I had set days to work and set days off with 40 hours plus a week. A good company to work for with the ability to move positions.
Great place to work just need more pay
Lolo (Current Employee) –  Mn sspFebruary 6, 2017
It's a great place to work you can make lots of money the mangers are great the company is cool they treat you good be on time stay late help each other
Pros
Good food
Cons
Some peoples pay
could be fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 3, 2017
come in count your bank handle customer transactions very fun talk to rushed customers make food for guests handle money clean and stock at the end of the work day. not very good management the hardest part of the job was when people called in and you were left alone to do the job most enjoyable was taking care of customers
Pros
can request days off
Cons
shorty lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.