SSP

SSP Employer Reviews

Student Assistant Life
Student Support Program (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2014
Great job IF allowed students to take on full-time employment
good job
FullTime Cashier (Former Employee), jamaica , nyNovember 3, 2014
i took orders made salads for the customers , i also cleaned the store restocked the fridge and counter ,
Work not well organized
EHS Manager (Former Employee), Burbank, CAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: friendly workforce
Cons: very cut throat environment blaming each other no accountability
This is not a company I would recommend because of the high turn out rate and lack of consistency in management. No balance between work and life. Very unsafe conditions for employee exposures.
Excellent Employer
Project Manager (Former Employee), Burbank, CAAugust 26, 2014
Fun, fast paced, challeging place to work. Excellent work force in place.
Worked in resurant for first time
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 2, 2014
Pros: 50% off on any food that we bout from the companie
Cons: short breaks and not good management
Like to work with new and friendly people. Love to learn new thing from diffrent people.
A not so typical day at the office.
Social Service Practitioner (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAAugust 25, 2013
Working in child welfare is different every day. Things are always changing in the office and one must be flexible. I always try to plan my day with a "to-do-list", but working in child welfare means never getting to finish the to do list. More important things come up such as responding to emergency calls, change of placement for children, providing – more... crisis intervention for parents. Having a good support system and knowing how to always have time for "self-care" is the most important thing especially when working in such a unpredictable field. Although, the job is emotionally draining and often times mentally difficult the best part about working in child welfare is knowing that I am making small waves that will eventually lead to waves of change in children and families lives. – less
Excellent Place to Work
Student Services Professional (SSP) III (Current Employee), Chico, CAJune 4, 2013
Great benefits, salary is stagnant, no in range or longevity, no raises. Flexible and beautiful campus.
WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER HAD MISSFORTUNE TO WORK FOR!!!!
Team leader (Former Employee), scotlandDecember 14, 2014
Pros: going home
Cons: every single moment of being there+
I thought working for M & S as a team leader would have been a great career stepping stone, helping to progress further with a massive company. untill i found out it was ssp!!
No training provided, working hours are terrible, pay is appaling for what you are expected to do!
management could not run a bleep up in a brewery!!
if anything goes wrong is – more... is your fault no matter what!
No staff motivation at all, everyone hated there job!
i was so glad to leave!!!!
only pro was a free lunch (it was rank! but free)
then they stopped it! – less
Busy and stresful workplace
Shift manager (Current Employee), ManchesterDecember 5, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
My typical day at work would be opening up the restaurant setting up all the kitchen minders for product sails.
Setting our sails targets and 1/2h targets.
Planing staff positions for the day and they tasks.
Through out the day i would watch closely all the staff making sure they following all the right procedure keeping close eye on our targets and – more... checking on 1/2h bases our incoming money and keeping track of it on the sheets for my boss.
every hour i would do a store tore to make sure everything its up to the standard and presented right for the customers if no get my staff to correct it if they were really busy i would personally make sure that everything is up to the company standards in the busy times i would also work on the shop floor side by side with my staff make sure all of our customers got the best service we can provide.
The hardest part of the job its to work with students they are really difficult to supervise and to work with as a team.
most enjoyable part of the job its to work with grate happy team and working face to face with customers. – less
warehouse
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), Burton-On-Trent, ENGNovember 29, 2014
I am a hard working reliable, enthusiastic and honest individual with 7 years of experience of working in manufacturing.
Being able to work quickly and efficiently to complete tasks, being used to working under pressure meeting tight deadlines, maintaining a high standard finish.
Confident when completing paperwork, stock taking and record keeping.
Working – more... either alone or a as part of a team, I am creative and can use my initiative where required.
I am keen to develop my skills and experience further through both practice and any training available. – less
Bad management
Engineer (Former Employee), BaghdadNovember 28, 2014
Bad salary & management with long shifts12 hrs, 6 days/week, make the human being frustrate & will not give good quality production . Of course the inverse is better for a typical day of work/life balance make the human being innovate in work &life.Accept my best regards.
Good experience with team work
NIGHT TEAM MEMBER (M&S) (Former Employee), London, ENGNovember 26, 2014
Working with SSP was good. Straight forward company and management.
Working on night shift was intense as we were a small group handling deliveries or working overtime.
What i enjoyed most was that everyone had the opportunity to get on with their jobs without distraction.
Very fast-paced fun workplace to work with a lot of opportunities throughout the location
Cashier/Line Cook - Select Service Provider (Former Employee), Richmond, B.CNovember 23, 2014
Pros: 50% discount
Cons: unstable schedule, have to wait a year for benefits.
My typical day at work is mostly busy, sometimes it gets slow after summer it is really fun working there, got to meet a lot of people working in the Location and some awesome customers too.

I learned to work harder and harder each day instead of complaining about the job. Working hard always pays off.

My co-workers are very awesome, friendly, helpful, – more... fun to work here. I give them a lot of props for helping everyone when they can.

Hardest part of the job is cleaning the filters, because I have to step on top of the grill, stove and other appliances.

Most enjoyable part of the job is serving customers and seeing the smile on their faces each day. – less
Worst job I've ever had!!
Night Team Member M&S (Former Employee), Brighton StationNovember 23, 2014
Pros: you have a job
Cons: it's a terrible one
I lost my previous job and was desperate to get back to work. I took a "Night Team Member" job at Brighton Station (as a temporary thing) working for one of the companies many franchises, M&S Simply Food.

I would work 11pm to 7am. The pay was just above minimum wage plus 20% between 12 and 6am for unsociable hours. Trust me, the 20% does not make up – more... for how bad this job is!

The job entailed bringing in and processing two deliveries a night. So you start the night checking and removing out of date stock. Then processing the previous days delivery and working the next two that arrive at different parts of the night. Not only is this type of work extremely boring but the management are constantly pushing you to work harder and faster. No matter how hard you work they will never be satisfied and you are never appreciated.

The training was a complete joke, I was working on the job three months and still hadn't finished my training. Periodically I was told to sign forms to show that I had been trained in certain things. The reality is that I didn't ever really know what I was doing, I spent most of my time blagging my way through the shift and hoping I wouldn't get in trouble. I was never supported by anyone. You're pretty much thrown in the deep end, told to shut up and get on with it. The best part is you would get shouted at or called into the office if you did even the slightest thing wrong.

Most of the staff work with headphones on, so don't expect teamwork or comoradary. Don't expect to bond with staff or create any friendships either. There were a handful of really nice people working there, like me who were stuck in a wage trap. I just hope they managed to escape it as I did. Most of the staff keep themselves to themselves and mope about like zombies.

All my co-workers hated the job and moaned endlessly about poor working conditions, lack of respect and pay as well as the seriously unorganised management. One particular "Night Team" leader was one of the most anti-social, disgruntled luddites I have ever had the misfortune of working with.

On top of all this you are working nights! The entire time I worked there my body never adjusted. It’s the most unnatural thing I have ever put myself through. If you’re not used to night shifts or have never worked them DO NOT START, EVER! Firstly, you will completely lose your social life because the little free time you do get is spent desperately trying to catch up on sleep. Your eating habits become like that of scavenger, shovelling anything you can into your mouth because you are simply too exhausted to cook.

Basically if you want to work somewhere completely soulless and devoid of personality this is the "job" for you. Humans were not meant to endure this level of menial drudgery.

Personally I feel like they treat their staff as if they are as expendable as the produce they needlessly throw away every night.

APPLY NOW, BECOME ANOTHER GOG IN THE MACHINE!!! – less
Supervisor
Supervisor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaNovember 17, 2014
I've worked in the food industry for 6 years. Been employed at SSP Canada for 2 years now, as a Supervisor. I supervise 6 different restaurants. I enjoy my work place, and the environment I work in.
worst job ever
Team member (Former Employee), LondonNovember 4, 2014
Cons: everything!
Managers and assistant managers treat you in a very disrespectful way, the 30min break is unpaid, and recently assistant managers and team leaders got a pay rise, except team members!!
shocking company, avoid at all costs
Team Leader (Current Employee), LeedsOctober 28, 2014
Pros: team leader hourly wage is decent money.
Cons: long hours, early starts, long shifts, no free meals
They want you to provide great customer service and take as much money as possible, yet equipment isn't fixed quickly and there's never enough staff, so it's very difficult to provide this good customer service. During summer (peak), they'll happily get you working upto 55hrs a week, making you run around as its so busy and wearing you down, but as – more... soon as winter comes, you drop right down to contracted hours. Also long shifts, usually 10/11 hour shifts, with just a 30min break, if you're lucky. – less
multitasking personality
driver (Former Employee), London, ENGOctober 27, 2014
I have extensive professional experience. Depending on the job, my day is different. I currently work as a driver and supplier for company SSP UK, where for 1 year and 8 months I provide delivery of food between stations Euston, Kings Cross, Liverpool, Paddington Waterlo, Luton etc. My duties are to collect orders, to prepare delivery, to supply them – more... and check paperwork. My work is multi-purpose task bacause I have some otherl work. Usually I work 8 hours a day, but if it is necessary I can do additional work. Great pleasure for me is to communicate in English at work, team work and cooperation with current managers. My strong points are multi-tasking under time pressure, deal well with stress and I like to work as a team. – less
Newcastle Airport/Avoid at all costs
Team Member (Former Employee), Newcastle AirportSeptember 30, 2014
Cons: bad management/ lack of staff and breaks
You are promised training, but you get none because it is to busy and there are never enough staff. Young managers who have not been trained properly and definitely have no team management skills. They have no respect for their staff, nothing was ever good enough. You are told what to do, not asked. You are lucky if you get a 20 minute break on a ten – more... hour shift. If you do not stay for three months you loose 100 pound of your money, even when it is not your fault, when it is down to poor management. – less
Worst company I have worked for
Team Leader (Former Employee), East AngliaSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: if people like slave labour, they'll love ssp
Cons: dreadful company, poor management
To anyone considering leaving their job to work for SSP.... DON'T!!!
Let down by the company on numerous occasions. When originally employed, I was informed about the 'exciting duties and responsibilities' my role would entail. However, the description and the actual role were worlds apart. We used to hit bonus and regularly get the extra 50p bonus, – more... but when this became too regular, the company decided to make the bonus unachievable. I soon became disillusioned (like most SSP employees I know!) and sought alternative employment. I was offered another position by another company and my manager offered me extra hours to persuade me to stay (hours at SSP are very irregular; 10 hour contracts), as well as more responsibilities, better shifts etc. This sounded great, so I turned down the other offer and stayed with SSP. Within a matter of weeks, I was back to the same amount of hours as before and working till gone 9pm, and then back at 5am.
Management, well, there's a subject. SSP has quite simply the most clueless, unqualified, pathetic members of management I have ever come across. Rather than leading by example, it's "do this, do that", while they sit in the office (by the way, they do mon-fri day shifts). Also, sneak in the office, and you'll soon discover that their 'work' consists mainly of checking Facebook.
Also, the quality of the products they get you to sell is atrocious. Here's one example, the cakes sold in some of their cafes. They are advertised as 'freshly baked'. Well, I can tell you now that they are baked in-house, but, they freeze them afterwards. Also, once they've decided to defrost them at some point in the coming months, they then put a 3 day shelf life on them. However, if any are left by the end of the 3 days, rather than waste them, they will either extend the use by date, or, re-freeze them!!! This typifies the company, profit first, customer and staff satisfaction is of zero importance.
I feel that I have ranted for quite a while, but it really is justified. One other point. Like I said, there used to be perks like the bonus, and the free staff meals which has now finished, but it's funny how the company was able to spend £200k (that's right!) on a national managers party this year!!! The staff at the bottom work hard, so the people up top can enjoy themselves.
I really hope that anyone that reads this thinks twice before working for Select Service Partner. – less

1 2 3 4 5