St Vincent de Paul Society

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews in United States

Supportive environment
Director of Distribution (Current Employee) –  San Mateo County, CAApril 17, 2016
Days are busy due to the volume of work which is good. It is good to work for an organization whose mission is to help individuals and families in need. The staff I work with are interesting due to the philosophy of offering job opportunities to persons who have difficulty getting jobs due to their circumstances through our work rehabilitation program. In my position I have learned to oversee the operation of multiple stores, a truck fleet and dispatch office and open a distribution center.
Pros
benefits, culture of helping others
Cons
can be long hours at times
Kind, generous, and friendly members
Low Income Family Aid Provider (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 26, 2016
The members of the St. Vincent de Paul Society are some of the most altruistic people I have ever met in my life. They truly care for the well-being of others and in countless cases, put the priorities of those in need above their own. It has truly been a pleasure working alongside the members in providing aid to the less fortunate.
Great mission, poorly managed
Development Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 7, 2016
Too much emphasis on managing the kitchen and none placed on the rest of the program. I would not recommend this place if you are looking for long term employment.
nice place to work but dont like hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 30, 2016
work as a cashier and clean the store. the hours are not great but like my days off. Nice friendly people that work their but need more pay.
Great employees and environment
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Portage, WIJanuary 8, 2016
Work from home. Good direction from manager. Employees are nice. Full charge bookkeeping. Interesting vendors to work with. Enjoy the non-profit status.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No advancement
Really great
Warehouse Aide (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 27, 2016
People are nice, work conditions are good, management is understanding, everyone seems to be ready and up for the workday here it's really great
Learned about antiques and old china.
Misc. Pricer/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 17, 2013
remove old stock from shelves and recycle. clean appraise and price donated items for retail store. learned about old china, antique glass and collectors items. Co workers great most of the time. Hardest part of job was resetting shelves that were old, bent, and defective. Most enjoyable part was learning about antiques.
Pros
great help to disadvantaged community members
Cons
work conditions not the safest.
Very lively, and fun place to Volunteer
Volenteer (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 21, 2015
It was always very fun to volunteer there they always made sure the homeless had food to eat and clothes to wear they even gave the little children toys to take their minds off of being homeless.
Pros
Get to communicate with others.
Cons
Some people had mental disabilities and would put others in danger
fun place to work at
Warehouse Aide (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 30, 2015
i like working here it's friendly and they help out with a lot of things.everybody here is helpful.since I been here I learned a lot of job skills
Pros
resourses
It was a great exsperience..
Helpline Call Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, Fl.October 11, 2015
I learned a lot about helping the homeless. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy. The phone would ring and ring.
Always an excellent charity organization!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2015
SVDP is always a most reliable and worthwhile charity organization. It has the unique distinction of going to the poor and offering help and aid. It's volunteers are truly to be commended and blessed.
Pros
Working with volunteers is the most rewarding.
Cons
Healthy, positive workplace that leaves you feeling fulfilled and motivated to do good.
President of SVDP (Former Employee) –  633 Gayley AveJune 30, 2015
My involvement in the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) branch at UCLA grew comparable to that of part time job by the time I devoted myself as an officer to the organization's cause of helping the needy in our community. I initially served as its Head of the Finance Committee before simultaneously taking on the added responsibilities as the group's President. All of us contributed our efforts to SVDP as volunteers and this kept the organization afloat; that quality and relationship with people involved instilled a healthy and efficient work environment among all co-workers. I set aside as much time as I could spare for SVDP and everyday was dedicated to new responsibilities revolving around: planning and conducting meetings, researching grants our group was eligible for, filing and submitting applications for such grants, planning and conducting various community events for the underprivileged in our community, and negotiating/petitioning for grants during UCLA finance council meetings. The latter responsibility noted may have been the hardest part of the job but as President, management was all within my control. Shots were called on my terms but my motivation for service ensured work didn't lag and remained organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was partaking and organizing our most prominent community service event: feeding the homeless of downtown Los Angeles in Skid Row.
Pros
Amiable co-workers, meaning behind work, positive influences gained from work atmosphere
Cons
Little room for error, demanding workload
Company that promotes employees' education advancement
Customer Service/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2013
I learned how non-profit organizations operate, how they get their funds and how they are able to assist those in need. A typical day consisted of answering the phones and setting up donation pick ups, coordinating car donation pick ups, assisting employees with paperwork they needed filled out. Management in each department is very independent of each other and don't work much as a team. The hardest part of the job is dealing with directors that don't like each other. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping needy families obtain what they need whether it is financial assistance, furniture or clothes. Being able to improve the way we perform our jobs is also very rewarding.
Pros
Constant reminder of our need to help needy people and to resemble God's character
Cons
Limited funds, lack of opportunity for growth
Productive, busy, and comfortable workplace.
Service volunteer (Former Employee) –  San MateoApril 16, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of preparing meals, serving the meals, and cleaning up the kitchen after all meals had been served. From volunteering at SVDP I have learned so much about the less fortunate and gained many people skills I did not know I had. The management treated me as family and were very respectful to say the least. My co-workers, although they were not always my age, all acted as though they were my best friends. The hardest part of the job was getting to know some of the customers on a personal level and learning how tough their lives really are. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on most every customers' faces.
Pros
great volunteer experience
Cons
no breaks
Like Minded People
Disaster Case Manager / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnie, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Enjoyed supervising teams of case managers during Hurricanes Rita and Ike.

There is no job security as employment lasts only as long as the grants allow.

Gained important grant writing and provision experience.
Pros
Working with Teams
Cons
No job security
Rewarding experience
President (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAOctober 30, 2013
I ran an emergency food pantry that served 5,000 people per month up to 30,000 pounds of food. We also helped pay rent, utilities, medical bills. I also coordinated up to 30 volunteers per day.
I did all the grant writing, which was $250,000/ per month.

I was on call 24/7 for families needing emergency help.
Pros
Excellent training all across the country with best practices.
Cons
No pay, no healthcare, long hours
Great atmospher and positive people!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at work is best described wonderful! I enjoyed my time with Lake Washington Tech staff. They showed interest in me as an individual and did all that was necessary to provide me with training that is still used today. What I learned the most here was organization. The hardest part of this job was leaving but overall the most enjoyable things was keeping in touch with those that I established a relationship with.
Pros
Friendly, ethical, responsive, and team oriented
Cons
Un predictable students
Community/Church/ Outreach Specialist Worker
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 18, 2012
Working as a community/church outreach specialist service worker within the community was a challenge. Being able to help those that were in need, whether with utilities, rent, or food was very rewarding. I felt that I was able to make a difference in many families, even if it was just for them to speak of their misfortune and have someone to listen. Distribution of food was done as with co workers as a team whom have volunteered their time to help others.
Pros
companies gave supplies freely, donations of food, donation of money
Cons
familes had to be screened, distributions wasn't daily, specific hours only
Very Productive and quiet place to work
Volunteer Greeter/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day for me when I was volunteering at this location was very nice. My coworkers were wonderful people, it was a very quiet and peaceful place to work for me and I also liked the fact that it was always something to do..it was never a boring day there.
Fun place to work . Feel usefull .
Maintenance Worker / load unload trucks (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 26, 2013
Go to work , work as a team member , be productive . Learned a little more about elecrtonic`s . Management : Try to get known needed task`s done before being asked . Got along well with other`s . Hardest part : Load / unload truck`s . Feeling good about a productive day .
Pros
Keeping busy, Feeling usefull .
Cons
When someone does`nt show up for shift, transportation .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Vincent de Paul Society. Our community is ready to answer.

St Vincent de Paul Society Reviews by Location