St Vincent de Paul Society

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Treated Awful
Associate / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Penn Hills, PASeptember 18, 2016
They claim to be inspired and ran by the gospels, NOT SO! The Pittsburgh Office Branch treats employees like garbage. If you dare to call them on something or try to make a suggestion you are reprimanded and reminded to stay in your place. They did not answer emails or phone calls .They don't even know how to say hello you. Once a year there is a Xmas party and that is the end of any kindness shown.

The local Store Manager was a very kind person and that is why I stayed on. I also really love the Society and it's mission. You are paid nothing more like a volunteer. But that was ok as I know work was helping the poor.

They don't consider the safely of managers as are made to make bank deposits at night instead of letting the wait until the next morning.

They do make loans to employees when face with needs and then payroll deduct the payments.
Pros
Good deals on store items and they made payroll deductable loans in case of emergency
Cons
No benifits -Office Management is awful
dull enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAFebruary 13, 2017
was not a great place to work at. and the staff and managers were very rude. low pay with no benefits. no room to grow with in the company. just felt as if it was a dead end job.
Pros
N/A
Cons
rude staff/management
Supportive environment
Director of Distribution (Current Employee) –  San Mateo County, CAApril 17, 2016
Days are busy due to the volume of work which is good. It is good to work for an organization whose mission is to help individuals and families in need. The staff I work with are interesting due to the philosophy of offering job opportunities to persons who have difficulty getting jobs due to their circumstances through our work rehabilitation program. In my position I have learned to oversee the operation of multiple stores, a truck fleet and dispatch office and open a distribution center.
Pros
benefits, culture of helping others
Cons
can be long hours at times
Great people, fun environment. Never boring.
CASHIER- (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 26, 2016
Love working here. I am a cashier/volunteer on a paid government program. Started as just a volunteer though. Love the people. Great attitudes (most people) A lot of the customers are regulars and you get to know them. The mission is an admirable one and love helping people. Management is excellent and friendly.
Pros
Good people, great mission. Great finds for cheap prices.
Cons
Little job security, unlikely to move up or gain employment, Most "workers" are volunteers doing community service or programs, Which is great, but not if you need permanent employment.
Worst place to work ever!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 27, 2016
I worked here from 2005-2007, and it was the worst place I ever worked! Hopefully this has changed in the last 9 years since I left. They only cared about how fast you were at putting out new clothing, and they would time us. If you were not fast enough, they would give you a warning. Then if you didn't improve enough the next time they timed you, they fired you. I also had two different managers that yelled at me for doing something they didn't like and made me cry. They also did these same things to other workers. Another problem was that the some of the managers were related to the person in charge of everything, so the managers would not get in trouble for anything that they did that was not nice or not professional. One time a worker left on maternity leave and when she came back, they did not let her come back to the same store in Springfield where she lived. They said she could only go to a different store in Eugene. I would not recommend working here unless things have dramatically changed.
Cons
They didn't care about you as a person, only how much you could produce for the company, People who are related to upper management shouldn't be allowed to be managers.
Management does not communicate.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2017
Not enough communication from management. Strong company politics create weak advancement opportunities and no job security which equates to low employee moral.
Pros
Dedicated volunteers.
Cons
Low employee moral.
Enojoyable place to work with a family-like atmoshpere
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 20, 2017
At SVDP, I was a social work intern. I gained much experience in my time there. I mostly grew in communication with people of different cultures. My supervisor was great at challenging me to learn as much as possible. Almost everyday I spent some time at the front desk and that's where I was able to make relationships with clients the most. I also did intake for the food pantry, intake for rent/utility assistance, and attended meetings. The hardest part of working there was seeing the people who came in going through such a hard time. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to foster hope in the people we helped.
Pros
Relationships with coworkers
Cons
Aggressive clients
Physically demanding yet rewarding fast-paced job.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 21, 2016
Management in dissaray, despite terrific opportunity to work at my own pace and delegate responsibilities. I actually was let go due to personal problems and then called back and rehired. They certainly weren't required to do that. But, I never knew from day to day who would be running the store and what would be required of me.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Constant changes in management
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 30, 2016
a typical day at work consist of putting personal belongings in your locker, clocking in, getting your til and taking it to your assigned register putting it in the register, closing the register and logging into the register and start ringing up customer's items. Make sure that you are on time to and from your breaks and that you sign out of the register, count your til and clock out on time when it is time for you to clock off.Working at a thrift store I learned that one persons trash is really another persons treasure. The hardest part of the job is standing in one spot for eight hour and only sitting on your breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smile on peoples faces after helping them. The co-worker are great. They are happy fun people to be around and to work with.
Great job
Electronics Sales Associate/ janitor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYAugust 8, 2016
I always had something to do, wether its fixing electronics, cleaning bathrooms, or moving furntiure. I got to communicate with lot's good people and some bad. The manager is a great manager. She does her job right and is nice. But doesnt play around when its comes to work on being late, lazy, or foul language. Overall the job was a great experience for me learning different things giving me new experiences. With great people, great management and a great system going, no could ever complain about coming to work.
Pros
Free tots of stuff u picked to keeo every 2 weeks
Cons
Had to leave for personal reasons, ask manager, tammie havener.
over all a very good place to learn how to to organize your work load.
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 17, 2017
I started working there and I found myself becoming a leader with added responsibilities. I became the man that I am today through hard work and dedication to completing assignments.
Pros
Good management good training.
Cons
Hard labor intensive work.
A great place to work
Client Advocate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2017
Staff and management are very supportive. They have flexible hours. They really work with people in the in the community to eliminate poverty. The move enjoyable part is making a difference in the client's lives.
Pros
GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT, FLEXIBLE
Cons
PAY IS NOT THAT GREAT
fun stable workplace
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 12, 2017
I really enjoyed my time working for the company. Very friendly co-workers, was a little poor when it came to management. But overall its a great company
Pros
20% discount
Cons
items had to be on sales floor for 24 hours before purchase should be made
Good honest work
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Florence, ORNovember 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the people, co-workers and manager but has had a lot of turn over since I have worked there. I didn't care for the treatment as a worker because the big bosses made the employee's feel as if they were criminals. We always had to watch every move we made so they wouldn't misinterpret something you did or said
Pros
Full time is 40hrs a week
Cons
Employees are treated as if they are criminals by big bosses sometimes
St Vincent- a great place to work
Cashier, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 13, 2016
We helped a lot of people when I worked there. The first 5 years, I volunteered there. The last few years. I was employed part-time, but stayed many afternoons volunteering for free, but loving every day that I was there.
Pros
Free lunches, when we had lunches. The opportunity to purchase many nice and unusual items.
Cons
The loss of a beautiful manager, who retired. Also, we lost quite a few of excellent employees, due to personal conflicts with each other.
It is low stress employement with several benefits
AARP Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 17, 2017
I enjoy my job and the people I work with. They are liberal leaning with a true desire to help the less fortunate. My day is spent on the cash register, pricing and stocking. There is little difficult about what I do and an additional perk is I get discounts on merchandise as an employee.
Pros
Many
Cons
Very few
Enjoyed the people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84101October 5, 2016
I enjoyed working with all types of people who looked forward to help and company. I got to know a lot of the people who came in and asked for service. The people there are hard working and go out of their way to help other people. The best part of the job was when it at the holidays and the people would come in and I'd make up cookies and give it to them . The appreciated all the help that they received from the center.
No support and secretive
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOOctober 13, 2016
For a charity they lie quite often to managers, and to staff throughout the group. They do not tell employees the actual rules of the operation of the store as no handbook is offered
Pros
time and work balance
Cons
Untruthful management
Wasnt a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 20, 2017
I didnt like working there the mangers were rude and fired a pregnant person. For no reason boss acts snotty towards people if someone sees that something needs to be done nobody does it and would make cashiers do their work and too much drama
Pros
Discounts on stuff in the store
Cons
Short breaks
Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2016
A great environment to fulfill your internship, You are hands on and interacting with the clients. You are able to teach, facilitate and chart.
There is training on the systems that are used and peer instuctors that will assist you through out your internship
Pros
Hands on.
Cons
difficult to be hired on to staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Vincent de Paul Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2