St Vincent de Paul Society

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Enojoyable place to work with a family-like atmoshpere
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 20, 2017
At SVDP, I was a social work intern. I gained much experience in my time there. I mostly grew in communication with people of different cultures. My supervisor was great at challenging me to learn as much as possible. Almost everyday I spent some time at the front desk and that's where I was able to make relationships with clients the most. I also did intake for the food pantry, intake for rent/utility assistance, and attended meetings. The hardest part of working there was seeing the people who came in going through such a hard time. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to foster hope in the people we helped.
Pros
Relationships with coworkers
Cons
Aggressive clients
Physically demanding yet rewarding fast-paced job.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 21, 2016
Management in dissaray, despite terrific opportunity to work at my own pace and delegate responsibilities. I actually was let go due to personal problems and then called back and rehired. They certainly weren't required to do that. But, I never knew from day to day who would be running the store and what would be required of me.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Constant changes in management
Great people, fun environment. Never boring.
CASHIER- (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 26, 2016
Love working here. I am a cashier/volunteer on a paid government program. Started as just a volunteer though. Love the people. Great attitudes (most people) A lot of the customers are regulars and you get to know them. The mission is an admirable one and love helping people. Management is excellent and friendly.
Pros
Good people, great mission. Great finds for cheap prices.
Cons
Little job security, unlikely to move up or gain employment, Most "workers" are volunteers doing community service or programs, Which is great, but not if you need permanent employment.
Good honest work
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Florence, ORNovember 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the people, co-workers and manager but has had a lot of turn over since I have worked there. I didn't care for the treatment as a worker because the big bosses made the employee's feel as if they were criminals. We always had to watch every move we made so they wouldn't misinterpret something you did or said
Pros
Full time is 40hrs a week
Cons
Employees are treated as if they are criminals by big bosses sometimes
It is low stress employement with several benefits
AARP Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 17, 2017
I enjoy my job and the people I work with. They are liberal leaning with a true desire to help the less fortunate. My day is spent on the cash register, pricing and stocking. There is little difficult about what I do and an additional perk is I get discounts on merchandise as an employee.
Pros
Many
Cons
Very few
St Vincent- a great place to work
Cashier, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 13, 2016
We helped a lot of people when I worked there. The first 5 years, I volunteered there. The last few years. I was employed part-time, but stayed many afternoons volunteering for free, but loving every day that I was there.
Pros
Free lunches, when we had lunches. The opportunity to purchase many nice and unusual items.
Cons
The loss of a beautiful manager, who retired. Also, we lost quite a few of excellent employees, due to personal conflicts with each other.
over all a very good place to learn how to to organize your work load.
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 17, 2017
I started working there and I found myself becoming a leader with added responsibilities. I became the man that I am today through hard work and dedication to completing assignments.
Pros
Good management good training.
Cons
Hard labor intensive work.
Enjoyed the people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84101October 5, 2016
I enjoyed working with all types of people who looked forward to help and company. I got to know a lot of the people who came in and asked for service. The people there are hard working and go out of their way to help other people. The best part of the job was when it at the holidays and the people would come in and I'd make up cookies and give it to them . The appreciated all the help that they received from the center.
Wasnt a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 20, 2017
I didnt like working there the mangers were rude and fired a pregnant person. For no reason boss acts snotty towards people if someone sees that something needs to be done nobody does it and would make cashiers do their work and too much drama
Pros
Discounts on stuff in the store
Cons
Short breaks
Explainting vouchers guidelines to clients.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 22, 2017
Getting clients to understand the guidelines/policies of vouchers in relations to the limitations of individual category with respect to the amount apply to each category.
Pros
Receiving quarterly bonus.
Cons
Unable to take breaks due to customers demands.
Productive fun work place
Kitchen Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2016
Great experience helping in a non profit organization feeding and housing a few hundred people serving 3 meals a day it was a high volume dining experience everyday was a learning experience weather I was taking orders or assisting the chefs I was always on my toes there was never a slow day.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 30, 2016
a typical day at work consist of putting personal belongings in your locker, clocking in, getting your til and taking it to your assigned register putting it in the register, closing the register and logging into the register and start ringing up customer's items. Make sure that you are on time to and from your breaks and that you sign out of the register, count your til and clock out on time when it is time for you to clock off.Working at a thrift store I learned that one persons trash is really another persons treasure. The hardest part of the job is standing in one spot for eight hour and only sitting on your breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smile on peoples faces after helping them. The co-worker are great. They are happy fun people to be around and to work with.
A great place to work
Client Advocate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2017
Staff and management are very supportive. They have flexible hours. They really work with people in the in the community to eliminate poverty. The move enjoyable part is making a difference in the client's lives.
Pros
GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT, FLEXIBLE
Cons
PAY IS NOT THAT GREAT
Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2016
A great environment to fulfill your internship, You are hands on and interacting with the clients. You are able to teach, facilitate and chart.
There is training on the systems that are used and peer instuctors that will assist you through out your internship
Pros
Hands on.
Cons
difficult to be hired on to staff.
Respectful staff, enjoyable work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 21, 2016
Respectful staff, pleasant work environment, great customers. Wonderful mission to help those in need. Enjoyed my time here. I felt secure in my position and had time to enjoy life and family. Eateries nearby for lunch. Weekly pay.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
fun stable workplace
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 12, 2017
I really enjoyed my time working for the company. Very friendly co-workers, was a little poor when it came to management. But overall its a great company
Pros
20% discount
Cons
items had to be on sales floor for 24 hours before purchase should be made
Great job
Electronics Sales Associate/ janitor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYAugust 8, 2016
I always had something to do, wether its fixing electronics, cleaning bathrooms, or moving furntiure. I got to communicate with lot's good people and some bad. The manager is a great manager. She does her job right and is nice. But doesnt play around when its comes to work on being late, lazy, or foul language. Overall the job was a great experience for me learning different things giving me new experiences. With great people, great management and a great system going, no could ever complain about coming to work.
Pros
Free tots of stuff u picked to keeo every 2 weeks
Cons
Had to leave for personal reasons, ask manager, tammie havener.
Management does not communicate.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2017
Not enough communication from management. Strong company politics create weak advancement opportunities and no job security which equates to low employee moral.
Pros
Dedicated volunteers.
Cons
Low employee moral.
Great Team work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Slinger, WIJanuary 16, 2017
I love this place ans what they do for the community. They have a great work environment. Great Place to work at, they are understanding and caring for their employees.
Pros
Great Work envirnoment
Cons
Lower wages
great place to work at also to gain experience
Volunteer Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2017
this was a great place to work at helped gain alot of experience here and was able to learn alot i enjoyed volunteering here and would volunteer again if i was asked to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Vincent de Paul Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2