St Vincent de Paul Society

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Respectful staff, enjoyable work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 21, 2016
Respectful staff, pleasant work environment, great customers. Wonderful mission to help those in need. Enjoyed my time here. I felt secure in my position and had time to enjoy life and family. Eateries nearby for lunch. Weekly pay.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Good honest work
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Florence, ORNovember 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the people, co-workers and manager but has had a lot of turn over since I have worked there. I didn't care for the treatment as a worker because the big bosses made the employee's feel as if they were criminals. We always had to watch every move we made so they wouldn't misinterpret something you did or said
Pros
Full time is 40hrs a week
Cons
Employees are treated as if they are criminals by big bosses sometimes
Worst place to work ever!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 27, 2016
I worked here from 2005-2007, and it was the worst place I ever worked! Hopefully this has changed in the last 9 years since I left. They only cared about how fast you were at putting out new clothing, and they would time us. If you were not fast enough, they would give you a warning. Then if you didn't improve enough the next time they timed you, they fired you. I also had two different managers that yelled at me for doing something they didn't like and made me cry. They also did these same things to other workers. Another problem was that the some of the managers were related to the person in charge of everything, so the managers would not get in trouble for anything that they did that was not nice or not professional. One time a worker left on maternity leave and when she came back, they did not let her come back to the same store in Springfield where she lived. They said she could only go to a different store in Eugene. I would not recommend working here unless things have dramatically changed.
Cons
They didn't care about you as a person, only how much you could produce for the company, People who are related to upper management shouldn't be allowed to be managers.
Productive fun work place
Kitchen Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2016
Great experience helping in a non profit organization feeding and housing a few hundred people serving 3 meals a day it was a high volume dining experience everyday was a learning experience weather I was taking orders or assisting the chefs I was always on my toes there was never a slow day.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short breaks
My experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAOctober 16, 2016
I loved working there, the manager was awesome! Groovy style. My Co workers were great and had wonderful personalities. Costomers were great and very nice. I loved it.
Pros
I didn't live far so during my 15 I could go home for a bit.
No support and secretive
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOOctober 13, 2016
For a charity they lie quite often to managers, and to staff throughout the group. They do not tell employees the actual rules of the operation of the store as no handbook is offered
Pros
time and work balance
Cons
Untruthful management
St Vincent- a great place to work
Cashier, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 13, 2016
We helped a lot of people when I worked there. The first 5 years, I volunteered there. The last few years. I was employed part-time, but stayed many afternoons volunteering for free, but loving every day that I was there.
Pros
Free lunches, when we had lunches. The opportunity to purchase many nice and unusual items.
Cons
The loss of a beautiful manager, who retired. Also, we lost quite a few of excellent employees, due to personal conflicts with each other.
Enjoyed the people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84101October 5, 2016
I enjoyed working with all types of people who looked forward to help and company. I got to know a lot of the people who came in and asked for service. The people there are hard working and go out of their way to help other people. The best part of the job was when it at the holidays and the people would come in and I'd make up cookies and give it to them . The appreciated all the help that they received from the center.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 30, 2016
a typical day at work consist of putting personal belongings in your locker, clocking in, getting your til and taking it to your assigned register putting it in the register, closing the register and logging into the register and start ringing up customer's items. Make sure that you are on time to and from your breaks and that you sign out of the register, count your til and clock out on time when it is time for you to clock off.Working at a thrift store I learned that one persons trash is really another persons treasure. The hardest part of the job is standing in one spot for eight hour and only sitting on your breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smile on peoples faces after helping them. The co-worker are great. They are happy fun people to be around and to work with.
a great place to work
Mover/Packer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLSeptember 27, 2016
I was always out and about meeting new people and your coworkers management was awesome the hardtest part of the day I was never that much help out in about picking up things from people home
Stable work environment,
Retail Sales Volunteer (Current Employee) –  4871 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083September 19, 2016
Stocks merchandise, greets and assists customers, hangs clothes, and a team player. Advertises new products, furnishes old furniture to new. Enjoying different people.
Pros
Anytime.
Cons
Anytime.
Treated Awful
Associate / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Penn Hills, PASeptember 18, 2016
They claim to be inspired and ran by the gospels, NOT SO! The Pittsburgh Office Branch treats employees like garbage. If you dare to call them on something or try to make a suggestion you are reprimanded and reminded to stay in your place. They did not answer emails or phone calls .They don't even know how to say hello you. Once a year there is a Xmas party and that is the end of any kindness shown.

The local Store Manager was a very kind person and that is why I stayed on. I also really love the Society and it's mission. You are paid nothing more like a volunteer. But that was ok as I know work was helping the poor.

They don't consider the safely of managers as are made to make bank deposits at night instead of letting the wait until the next morning.

They do make loans to employees when face with needs and then payroll deduct the payments.
Pros
Good deals on store items and they made payroll deductable loans in case of emergency
Cons
No benifits -Office Management is awful
Fulfilling
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Otsego, MISeptember 16, 2016
It was very nice to be able to work with great people. I helped to stock the shelves with food every week. It left me with a good feeling knowing that I helped out the poor.
Pros
Helping the poor
Cons
Not getting paid
fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 15, 2016
All the employees would work as a team and engage with each other. They would always make sure one had a job to do and make sure everyone was on task.
Great job
Electronics Sales Associate/ janitor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYAugust 8, 2016
I always had something to do, wether its fixing electronics, cleaning bathrooms, or moving furntiure. I got to communicate with lot's good people and some bad. The manager is a great manager. She does her job right and is nice. But doesnt play around when its comes to work on being late, lazy, or foul language. Overall the job was a great experience for me learning different things giving me new experiences. With great people, great management and a great system going, no could ever complain about coming to work.
Pros
Free tots of stuff u picked to keeo every 2 weeks
Cons
Had to leave for personal reasons, ask manager, tammie havener.
Rude
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 5, 2016
Management and workers are very rude to other workers and workers gossip and try to get other workers fired for no reason.
Fun and entertaining workplace
Misc. Sorter (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 1, 2016
Had a great time at this job. Has loads of nice people to work with and will help out as much as possible with daily duties!
great employees
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 17, 2016
I like working with culturally diverse populations ability to work with mentally ill and chemically dependent diverse populations.
very social job meeting people
Donation collector (Former Employee) –  Westland, MI 48185July 10, 2016
wait for donations for children and separate boxes from bags toys from books clothes from misc..i had co workers but not in the area i was in collecting the donations..and marking how many boxes bags and everything where received ..the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new ppl and making them smile with a well greeting..there was nothing hard about the job what so ever
Pros
easy work
Cons
was paid nothing
Overall it was a great place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellaire, TXJuly 7, 2016
This is a great place to work at as I learned many things about the sales industry and at the same time was able to give back to the community. We were able to help the homeless and many families who lost their homes/household items due to natural disasters or life crisis. I was able to bring out my creative side at times and was able to explore new ideas to promote sales at the store. My co-workers were very friendly and understanding. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Pros
Training was provided
Cons
Short of staff and it was difficult on busy sales days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Vincent de Paul Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2