St. Alexius Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJune 1, 2017
Great place to work if you are just starting out. The registration team is wonderful. You can get cross-trained in various areas that service the hospital.
Work Environment
Charge Nurse Orthopedic Unit (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 17, 2017
St. Alexius Medical Center has been the last seven years of my nursing employment. Every day is challenging and different. I am continually learning every day to improve my nursing.
review
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 9, 2017
I can't say enough good things about this place, love my boss, coworkers, if something is wrong they change it. Cant say enough good things about this place.
Good environment to work
Blood bank Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 9, 2017
It's a good place and nice environment to work. High teamwork and friendly atmosphere makes it special. They have hard worker staff and caring leaders.
One of the best managers I have ever worked for!
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 7, 2017
I was a registry tech here, and thought that the environment that the manager created was outstanding. He was supportive, willing to help out, fair, and able to critique constructively.
a place to learn get skill and move on
Patient Care Technician/ Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 4, 2017
working at a hospital is very hard, you deal with so many different personalities. you day basically sums up to working with nurses and doctor, with patients loved ones. you learn something new everyday at the hospital things that you couldn't even imagine that could really happen.
Pros
you build bond with patients and co workers
Cons
30 min lunch and sometimes u can't even take a lunch
Management is horrible. Descrimination/favoritism is rampant
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 26, 2017
This may have once been a good place to work, however that is no longer the case. Management is horrible and corrupt. They turn a blind eye to corruption and Officer misconduct within the department on a regular basis. Pay, benefits and hours continued to be reduced. The company as a whole is in dire straits. Just look at their financials. I wouldn't recommend this environment to anyone.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Corruption, favoritism, very poor management, layoffs
Receptionist
Receptionist/scheduler and a super user (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 16, 2017
This was the best job I have ever had. Sadly they were cutting hours back and I was moving to a new town. They treat you right and it is easy to move up in the company. I would recommend anyone to work here. If they had a position in my new town I'd go apply for it. Seriously the best place ever!!
Pros
Everything and everyone
Cons
Cut backs
Good place to work as a new grad
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 9, 2017
-Great teamwork/everyone had each others backs
-Nurse patient ratio was a bit higher then one would want
-Not enough tech help when needed
-Pay was somewhat reasonable not sure what other hospitals were paying in the area at the time
-12 hours shifts sometimes turned into 15 hours
Pros
great team work and felt like my second family
Cons
patient load/pay
n/a
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDMarch 6, 2017
Great place to learn and good workplace culture. Management works well with you. Enjoyable work environment with many opportunities to learn and grow and be involved.
Dialysis
Dialysis RN (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 1, 2017
I worked 4 10 hour shifts on a 19 chair outpatient dialysis that was located within a hospital, where we also would provide hemodialysis for clients in the ER and ICU when needed. A typical day started at 6:00 or 8:00am. The atmosphere was very, very busy! I would average 3 miles a day going from station to station to silence alarms, make necessary adjustments, administer medications, manage symptoms, and provide education to patients and their families. I most enjoyed the interaction with the patients every other day, getting to know them and their families. It was physically challenging at times because of being constantly on your feet and having late starts or complications with some patients, which required me to stay after hours. It was difficult at times with two young children at home when I would get called in or have to stay late. Since it was a fairly small unit, I also got to know my coworkers well, making many friendships! Overall, I really enjoyed working in dialysis.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, vacation, etc. at nominal price. Worked 4 days/week.
Cons
Worked holidays, weekends, got called in during the middle of the night and weekends.
Great place for fellowship
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 1, 2017
The staff are always willing to help out their fellow person whenever the need arises. We all work well together. The hardest part of working at SAMC is the lack of staff on occasion. Some days people gets sick or the weather has a big part in how many staff show up for work. These situations are out of our control, but it makes for a hard day at work.
Pros
Great Cafe'
Cons
The stair ways are too far from the elevators - walking the stairs becomes more difficult
Very fast paced, high accuity
Registered Nurse - 19 bed ICU (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 12, 2016
High acuity, fast paced environment. Hard to get help, running very tight with staff. Good doctors with much experience. Must be high energy to work anywhere in the hospital
Pros
high acuity
Cons
must be able to think on your feet
Management has little respect for the workers
Administrative Assistant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 10, 2016
No matter how hard you work or how many hours you put in, management finds the smallest issue to make you feel small. They do not care about what you do but how much money you bring in. If you get a compliment, your boss doesn't tell you but finds something wrong with you. Look elsewhere for a job - not here!
Pros
Cons
no breaks, low hourly wages, long hours, degrading managment
Clean, great atmosphere
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILAugust 31, 2016
The hospital is very clean and new. All employees are nice and helpful. This hospital was open to teaching interns and sharing experiences.
Pros
clean, new
Cons
no free coffee
Poorly Managed and Unorganized Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMay 9, 2016
The department I was in was understaffed and poorly managed. There was no care for the employees and absolutely zero understanding. There was a lot of backstabbing and upper management gossip about those beneath them. When sitting without work I wasn't given opportunities to extend my knowledge for the dept. benefit - tried and kept getting told "No". Dept. Lead would consistently pass job tasks on to others keeping them behind in their other work.
Pros
Cafeteria on Site
Cons
Poor Healthcare, Poor Leadership, Poor Supervisors
Great teamwork
Registered Nurse - Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 11, 2016
Management team is helpful and someone anyone would love to work for. Teamwork and patient care is outstanding. Learned many new skills as a PICU nurse.
Great Place
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 4, 2015
Great place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. Management could use some work. Like all healthcare, things are changing.
Too many recent changes.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 22, 2015
Used to be a great place to work for that cared about it's employees. Too many changes and now outsourcing of employees to other companies whose main focus is the bottom line.
Fun, energetic, and rewarding
COOK SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place with supportive management
Rewarding and educational
Flexible with many different schedules
Comradery was the best part of my job at SAMC.
Pros
Fun, fast paced, opportunity for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Alexius Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Alexius Medical Center Reviews by Location