St. Alexius Medical Center

St. Alexius Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Poorly Managed and Unorganized Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMay 9, 2016
The department I was in was understaffed and poorly managed. There was no care for the employees and absolutely zero understanding. There was a lot of backstabbing and upper management gossip about those beneath them. When sitting without work I wasn't given opportunities to extend my knowledge for the dept. benefit - tried and kept getting told "No". Dept. Lead would consistently pass job tasks on to others keeping them behind in their other work.
Pros
Cafeteria on Site
Cons
Poor Healthcare, Poor Leadership, Poor Supervisors
Hospital Security Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  SecurityNovember 22, 2013
In security you spend a huge amount of time dealing/sitting with persons with varying degrees of psychological issues. You will deal with persons with every type of communicable disease you can imagine.
You will risk being spit at , scratched, bitten, kicked, punched as well have urine and feces thrown at you. You will deal with morgue duty ie; dealing with deceased individuals who have died of communicable illnesses. You will have to take down and restrain physically the above mentioned persons. All this and lots of walking. All this for ok benefits and insurance which is expensive. Management is good to staff within reason.
Pros
location
Cons
insurance is a ppo
Great team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJune 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the my job is helping patients even during extremely busy days. My co-workers are amazing, they are always there to support and help out.
Benefits
Great Place
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 4, 2015
Great place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. Management could use some work. Like all healthcare, things are changing.
Fun, energetic, and rewarding
COOK SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place with supportive management
Rewarding and educational
Flexible with many different schedules
Comradery was the best part of my job at SAMC.
Pros
Fun, fast paced, opportunity for advancement
Not very accmodating and harsh work envirnoments
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hoffman EstatesJuly 7, 2013
Benefits and pay are the worst in the area and they just gave a raise. Be expected to bend your schedule within 24 hour notice to accommodate them. Also expect management not to back you up or help with anything.
Family atmosphere
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 3, 2015
I worked there for almost 10 years. After being gone for 5 years, I spent several weeks back at the hospital due to the health of a family member. I was welcomed back and treated well by all. Many employees from departents I did not directly work with remembered me and made a point to stop and talk to me. In many ways I felt very much at home there.
Too many recent changes.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 22, 2015
Used to be a great place to work for that cared about it's employees. Too many changes and now outsourcing of employees to other companies whose main focus is the bottom line.
productive and inspirational
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 16, 2015
I do tasks nurses call in such as patient discharge, delivering medicine and medical equipment to nurses, managing the information desk, and escorting people around the hospital

management is very considerate and listens to all suggestions

my co- workers are very friendly, hard working, and patient

the hardest part is dealing with impatient people at the front desk, sometimes they don't want to cooperate with the system

the most enjoyable part of the job is the gratitude from the patients
Every Day is a Gift!
Certified Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 2, 2014
Working at St. Alexius was very rewarding. You could be yourself completely, it was a place of caring. Not just a job. My motto is "Every day is a gift" and kept a postive attitude. The patients reminded us always that every day was a gift. The management was helpful and always defended the lab when there were questions. My co-workers were fun and laughed alot, the patients were known by name and we worked great as a team. The hardest part of the job is watching someone fight so hard for their life and they come to a point that there is no surviving. The most enjoyable part was having a family to come and see you every day. Seeing the strong survive and supporting those who were willing to fight. Hearing good news and giving huge hugs! Makes you happy when patients that are leaving come to tell you good bye and make you gifts to show us they care that we care.
Pros
discounts from area buisnesses. great repor for staff to celebrate together as a whole.
Cons
hours and short staff issues.

Want to know more about St. Alexius Medical Center?

Ask a question
Excellent support system.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDApril 25, 2015
Team Nursing environment provides excellent support system to new graduates.

Management is flexible and willing to work to provide a pleasant work environment.

The experience gained is irreplaceable because you're exposed to so much due to the acuity of patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the patient interaction.
Professional Environment and Great Benefits
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 13, 2012
I worked part time as a nursing assistant and the typical work day started at 3pm and ended at 12 pm. This was great for me because I was a high school student at the time. I learned how to check blood sugar levels and how to take care of critical condition patients. The management was very good and majority of staff had a higher education. The hardest part of the job was always having something to do and not wanting to sit down and take a break. There was always someone to help or take care of, get water for or clean up and so some nights I barely sat down, not because I didn't want to but because I enjoyed my work. My co-workers were very bright and willing to share their knowledge. The hardest part about the job was the manual charts and the most enjoyable part was the education. St. Alexius had several rooms dedicated to education and time set aside to re-educate. A very enjoyable experience.
Pros
great environment and very professional
Cons
long shifts and sometimes low staffed
Interesting Experience
Scanner Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 17, 2012
My typical workday was scanning patient charts in the mental health area of the hospital, I also scanned employee files in the HR department. I learned that no matter how hard you work sometimes you just don't fit into a certain type of business.Management was poor and did not communicate effectively. My coworkers were fine unfotunately I did not get to know them very well.The hardest part of my job was there was not alot of communication with fellow employees and the most enjoyable part of my job is I loved what I was doing.
Pros
medical benefit package
Cons
not a friendly work environment.
Don't work in food service
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 31, 2015
Things started going down hill about 2 years ago we are short staffed and they are always looking for a place to cut costs at the expense of the workers. If you wanna work here don't work in food service.
Pros
Decent evening differential
Cons
pretty much everything else
hospitalist
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMay 11, 2014
A typical day at work starts with seeing current patients in the hospital. Assessing and evaluating current status along with labs and radiology tests. Post operative consults come throughout the day as well as admissions. Coordinating discharges also comes along throughout the day.

My co workers are a wonderful part of my job. We work well together and help each other out when busy. They are a good source of support and knowledge. I also enjoy the different patients and the challenges that come with their medical illnesses.
Pros
people, hours, patients
Cons
hospital reimbursement cut backs with insurance.
Good workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILSeptember 11, 2012
A typical day at work is a verry fast paste environment always something to do.
What ive learned from working here is that everyone no matter there living sittuation or financial sittuation decerves care and modesty.
Working with the team i worked with was the best part, we always did everything as a team and if one of us needed help we would help no questions asked. Working as a team was the best way to work on our floor because at times it was verry heavy.
I always enjoyed my job no day was alike and thats what made it enjoyable.
Pros
getting rewarded for your hard work
Cons
waking up early
fe
Nutrition Operator (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 4, 2015
great place great people great environment great cafe great computer system great overall company great employees caring people amazing amazing amazing
great friendly place
Registered Nurse Clinician I -Telemetry Unit (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJune 20, 2014
great friendly place to work. I work 7ato 7p, I learned how to be a critical thinker and manager of patient care. The management is fair and flexible, my coworkers are awesome. The hardest part of my job are the patients, but the more enjoyable part are the patients.
exciting and fun workplace with ups and downs
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 18, 2014
Good experience in a hospital setting. This was definitely a great learning experience for me. The staff were very friendly and cooperative. If there was ever any confusion or anything I needed I was able to contact the right people and resolve my issues.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
management
Great Hospital with many opportunities to learn and grow as a team
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, IL.April 24, 2014
Since working at SAMC I have had the privilege to work with some of the best nurses/coworkers I've ever had. Some days are stressful, but the pros far out way the cons of the nursing field. I love nursing and am so lucky and happy to be in a career that I truly love and honestly cannot wait to graduate! My patients mean more to me than a lot of people, I care for them regardless of situation and try my best everyday to have a positive outlook. While at work your coworkers and patients quickly become your family and you cry at the bedside with them and laugh at an older patient's wise but hysterical jokes/life stories.

Management on the units is fine, the only "bad" thing I can say is when you work at the bedside it's completely different than working in the corporate area of the hospital and sometimes it's hard for those upper people to know what we go through on a day to day basis. I have had so man opportunities since starting with SAMC, I wouldn't not have the confidence and knowledge I do today without the experiences I have had here. I can actually say MOST days I do love coming to work. The hardest part of the job is getting close to a family of a patient or the patient when their outcome is terminal and having to let go but still care for them, this is easily the most enjoyable part however as well. I feel very comfortable in this field and so confident in my abilities. I love getting positive feedback from patients or hearing through the grapevine that a previous patient is doing well.

I feel like in this field you either love it or you don't and when you don't it
  more... truly does show!  less
Pros
coworkers
Cons
stressful, a lot of patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Alexius Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2