St. Charles Health System Employee Reviews

Fast paced,stressful
Inpatient Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 8, 2018
St Charles is the largest Employer in central Oregon. It is a fast-paced highly stressful work enviornment. Pay and benefits are good. Muat be able to work on your own and within in a team setting
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Stressful, fast paced
Hostile work Environment
Outpatient and Medical Assisting (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 4, 2018
I loved my career at St .Charles and especially my last year at Immediate Care. Unfortunately they wanted me gone so they made me gone. Hostile Work Environment
Pros
money was good and benefits
Cons
overworked, bad attitudes
Toxic work environmenrt
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 25, 2018
Poor management and lack of vision made this a really awful place to work. I would not recommend working for this organization to anyone. Very poor place to work.
Toxic, mismanaged, hostile,
Technician (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 21, 2017
I have worked in hospital ORs for over 30 years. St. Charles is by far the worst place I have worked.The supervisors are completely worthless. Management is completely out of touch with what is actually happening in the department. If you have a better way of doing something forget it they will NOT try it. The OR is 15-20 years behind the times. The staff is VERY clickish, so don't make waves and follow THEIR rules no matter how unsafe or out of date they are. Nepotism is rampant. If your charge nurse doesn't like you you get the worst assignments and no breaks or relief. No matter how often you report this to the supervisors nothing is done about it.
St. Charles just cut wages for the entire hospital for the next 6 months and increased insurance premiums. No COL increase or merit increases next year. They also put a blackout on ETO for about four months to roll out EPIC. No one can take ETO during this period.
I would encourage you to look elsewhere if you are looking for work.
Pros
Cons
everything
Healthcare System
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 6, 2017
Can be a great place to work. Depending on department can be very patient and community centered though other areas and locations seem to struggle with this. As typical in healthcare lots of leadership instability and changes not always for the better.
stressful environment
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 1, 2017
unfortunately this healthcare system is struggling financially in this current healthcare environment. I believe the CEO is trying to make some healthy changes but not sure how the system will weather the current healthcare environment. They are getting a new computer system (Epic) as their old one (paragon) was cumbersome and difficult to understand. The hardest part was understanding of culture of this hospital. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my patients
Pros
good salary; good insurance options
Cons
staff is too spread out among the 4 hospitals they are trying to provide care in, management is top heavy
Busy, fast paced,
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  OregonOctober 7, 2017
If you enjoy sitting at a desk 8 hours doing the same task repetitively this is the job for you. Little variation and no room for advancement. Immediate management does what they can for employees but the organization has cut back.
excellent advancement
Medical Biller/Unit Secretary for Med/Surg (Former Employee) –  Madras, ORAugust 8, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work. Excellent benefit package, excellent advancement opportunities. Very knowledgeable staff always willing to help and answer any question.
Silos and Vacuums
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 27, 2017
Add together a bunch of egos, incompetence, power-grabbing and back-stabbing and you have an instant toxic work environment. I have never in my life worked for a place that does not recognize nor appreciate my skillset. Insecurities run deep here & beware if you bring any positive change or ideas to the table...that is cause for immediate shunning!

*Disclaimer - This review is geared toward management & leadership for both the Health System and Medical Group. Outside of a couple "climb the ladder" types, the support staff are really great, just mostly scared!
Trying to make St. Charles a better place to work will take time
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 1, 2017
Unstable environment, shame driven culture present in some areas, sense of entitlement among leadership, providers and nurse population creates a negative cycle. Sometimes hostile environment. The attempt to make St. C a better place to work will take time. More qualified leadership is needed to do this as well as investing in the right training within operational leadership and administrative leadership. Fresh attitudes with strong customer service and leadership skills would improve the organization.
Cons
poor work life balance, heavy politics
Operating Room Assistant
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORApril 28, 2017
Worse than high school.... Lots of gossip and lies even from the supervisor. Rules are constantly changing and everything you do is unappreciated. So many double standards it will make you sick. The nurses are nice and some are pushy. I was harassed numerous times by people in "lead" positions. If you want to keep your sanity, don't become am OR assistant at St. Charles Bend
Pros
Eto
Cons
Being an OR assistant
Great Co-workers but a lot of miscommunication
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORApril 19, 2017
I've been an RN for the past year, I love my co workers, everyone is so helpful and there is great teamwork. The management has gone through A LOT of transition, I work night shift and there is not much support or communication with hospital wide changes. There is a lot of frustration caused by being short staffed. They are attempting to hire a lot of RN's but HR is a train wreck getting back to people, which causes a hold up.
Pros
Great co workers and patients
Cons
Not always enough staff for breaks, poor communication, lack of resources for night shift
HR is the stereotypical nightmare you've heard of
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORMarch 24, 2017
My biggest advice to any new caregiver: Never tell HR the truth. My second piece of advice: Never tell your boss the truth. Regardless of what the situation is, if you're asked ANYTHING by one of those groups, just lie, you'll be happier in the end.
Pros
Other caregivers genuinely try to make the culture better
Cons
Nearly impossible to use the benefits given, as the HR and management choices make the staff short handed and stressed constantly
You will love your job but not the Company
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 10, 2017
HR staff is terrible and provides no support for the caregiver. If you disagree with anything there is a target on your back that does not leave. They need to fire all management and start with a clean slate. You will leave each day feeling defeated. They do not care about Patient Safety
Pros
The patients and caregivers are awesome
Cons
You receive no support from HR or management and they do not live up to their own Code of Ethics
highly innovative IT department
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 9, 2017
excellent work environment. challenging day to day. great group of professionals to work with and team oriented. Management supports it's caregivers. Dedicated to insuring that the caregivers have the tools they need to insure our patients are cared for.
Very political atmosphere full of childish games and blame.
Management (Former Employee) –  OR DepartmentMarch 5, 2017
OR Department from directors to management are unprofessional and full of blame. There is zero accountability or ownership for any mistakes. This hospital has lost and continues to lose very good and competent professionals due to lack of support and good leadership. I would not recommend a job in this hospital under the current OR director and other leadership as of 2017. They have now lost another CFO. Overspending on supplies to encourage surgeons to stay at any cost, is irresponsible.
Pros
The cafeteria and gift shop help are stellar.
Cons
Lack of integrity, poor leadership support.
staff is superb, fun place to work
Patient Satisfaction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 2, 2017
A typical work day would be to assist the patients with directions, complaints and filing grievances and/or employee recognition. The management team is very helpful & immediate hands on. The staff provide great customer assistance.
Patient Care Coordinator for PMHNP.
Patient Care Assistant- Currently I (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day for me is answering patient questions over the phone. Currently I work with a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. I run prior authorizations for clinical treatment as well as psychiatric medications. I use an EMR system to access records, and chart vital information regarding the patients, for the NP. I communicate with Therapists, other physicians as well of medical offices. I am able to verify insurances, and co-pays. I understand the laws and regulations surrounding HIPPA. I obtain medical records from other outside facilities.
Pros
Enjoy working with the clients/patients
Cons
Lack of support and communication.
Great first job out of college
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Setauket, NYOctober 26, 2016
Great first job out of college. Provided necessary information to be able to advance within healthcare. Great staff. Management was excellent.
blatent bullying by some nurses - acceptable behavior!
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 18, 2016
Been there 8 years. Upper management is pretty good. Middle management plays favorites. Make sure you get in to the right click when you start or you will not find advancement. They need a union to cut out the blatent favoritism. It just leaves you sick to your stomach.
Most of the nurses are excellent, but as in my summary the blatent bullying by a few nurses toward the OR Aids is acceptable behavior to management and had not been addressed in my 8 years, so expect it.
Pros
I only have to be there 10 hours a day. I get to leave.
Cons
No advancement if you don't get in the right click.