St. Charles Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

good experience,
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 8, 2016
Lots of work, must be creative in the care and well being of the patients as well as being attentive. The Staff is very hard working and supportive.
Pros
work experience
Cons
staffing
Love the People
Gift Shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Madras, ORDecember 10, 2015
Fun work place with very nice people and management. The most enjoyable part about the job is meeting new people and having conversations with them. I love learning new thing.
Pros
Free lunches, easy to work with
Cons
Short breaks, and lunches
great place to work.
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 28, 2016
Small community hospital. Great staff, good teamwork. Management is reasonable. Staff dedicated to providing the best care possible to the patients and their families.
Wonderful Co-workers/Uncaring Management
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 10, 2016
As a nurse working for this hospital there is very little respect from upper management. Staffing is always short, which results in high, unrealistic, and dangerous patient loads. Schedules are made short due to lack of staffing (no hiring). There seems to be tremendous pressure on supervision to keep staffing costs down. One can only assume this is coming from "the top". Although the nurses are (for the most part) very caring, diligent, and team workers - the culture of care in this organization is almost non-existent. Staffing shortages are blamed on the nurses for calling in sick, being on vacation, and not working beyond their appointed hours. Nurses are expected to pick-up extra work shifts to make up for the lack of hiring and lack of absentee coverage. This is all very ironic since it is a Catholic Hospital. They will take all patients in, but once you're inside the care received is usually inadequate and sometimes borders on dangerous (due to short staffing). Patients are constantly being transferred (at all hours) which adds to the already impossible workload. This is far from a Magnet Hospital.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
unsafe patient load
Wonderful Hospital
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 24, 2015
Great place to work. Everyone knows you. You are expected and proud to be engaged in the Hospital's success. The patient comes first before the employees or leaders. Great CAO.
Pros
Engaged Workforce
Cons
Budget constraints from CHS
Externship at St. Charles Hospital was a great experience.
Externship- Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 19, 2015
The externship that I completed at St. Charles Hospital was a great experience! The licensed speech language pathologists were wonderful and extremely helpful at guiding me through their daily routines. They were available to answer questions and taught me a great amount during my 10-week externship.
Not run well
Patient service representative (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 25, 2015
This was a very busy clinic, but was not run very well. We had NO breaks, we had to work overtime with no pay. Very tense work environment.
Pros
Loved working with people.
Cons
NO breaks, Overtime but no pay.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 5, 2015
Supportive management and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and forming relationships with customers as well as co-workers.
Comfortable Place to work
Emergency Room Nurse-Community-Based Hospital (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 3, 2015
Work with nice people in a comfortable work environment. Interprofessional callaboration is great. Working in the ER that is increasingly becoming more challenging due to the increasing amount of patients seeking care.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Hard to get time off
Great place! Challenging but Good place to work
Operating Room Facilitator/Central Sterile Tech (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 7, 2015
Working in the operating room means you are constantly on the go, or on your guard. You need to be ready at a moment's notice if an emergency occurs. I learned not to take anything for granted. Working with so many different personalities can sometimes be a challenge, but the key is to remember that we are all here for one common goal; the health of the patient.
Full of service and giving
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  oregon OHAugust 3, 2015
Wonderful job.
Happy and productive
Mainly focused on excellent customer service
Hardest part of Job was serving people quickly with little room
most enjoyable was the upbeat environment
Pros
free food now and then
Productive Day Time camp for kids with Cerebral Palsy
3 Week Externship (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 8, 2014
This camp was specially designed for kids who have hemiparesis due to their diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy. As a CIMT extern we worked with an OT and PT to help them perform constraint induced movement therapy. As an extern, we set up different gross motor and fine motor activities with the children and were able to evaluate them through the use of different assessments and measurement tools. There were about 9 camp counselors that worked together as a team and we all had a great time. The camp was very rewarding.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
short breaks throughout the day
ST. Charles Hospital
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 8, 2012
I worked with 5 other LPN's, and an RN in Med/Surg taking care of 8 to 10 patients doing Pre-OP ad Post-Op care, also care of patients with various medical conditions. I administered medications, and helped my patients with all their needs, and documented patient care and information. I enjoyed working with other nurses, and working as a team. My co-workers were dependable to help when needed, and I was in return.
Pros
working as a team, and meeting new patients
long hours, very stressful and can be depressing
Oncology Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Oregon, OHNovember 25, 2013
Work twelve hour shift, become attatched to paitients as they come in and are newly diagnosed with cancer, they leave and come back for treatment with surgery and or chemotherapy, they leave and have to come back because their white cells are low and they have infections.
Pros
when patients are in remission
Cons
death of ore patient
Its a nice place to work but it is time for me to move on
Respirtory Therapist/Sleep Tech (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYNovember 26, 2012
great people to work with and wonderful clientele. have learned some "secrets" as to how to keep leads on a childs head. most difficult part of job is sitting all night long,(abt. 5 hrs.)

the best part of the job is working with the patients; children and adults
Pros
recognition by adm. for job well done
Cons
job criteria
Lab
Phlebotomy/EKG Technician (Current Employee) –  Luling, LAJuly 6, 2014
Lab has no leadership. My awesome boss just resigned and the assistant director is temporarally taking her place until Oschner comes in an hires someone to hopfully does not play favorite to certain employees.....
Excellent Place to work
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 23, 2012
St. Charles is an excellent place to work and the therapists are top notch.
Pros
profesional work environment and intermittent free (ceu's) continuing education.
Cons
not enough hours as a perdiem amployee
Nice place to work
Staff Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 19, 2014
Nice work environment. Good pay. Lots of cuts to every dept. Job security not stable. Good workers and good management.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
always sent home early to save on budget
St. Charles
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYFebruary 15, 2014
This was the job that challenged me the most. Being in a large hospital in a big OR was not easy, but I caught on quick and made a great name for myself.
Pros
great hours
Cons
somewhat stressful
good pay, poor saftey for safe, bullying behavior in management, no room to advance
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  staffSeptember 12, 2015
A typical day includes being dangerously short staffed, management will state "we are doing the best we can" many patients are aggressive and no provisions are made to keep staff safe. Security guards are far and few within the hospital ,they are elderly and useless in crisis. Detox patients now overrun their units and the staff is always in critically dangerous situations. Management uses bullying tactics and are not resources as many of them have limited nursing experience and limited degrees. The hardest part of the job is having detox patients at overwhelming numbers mixed into medical patient loads. The staff moral is depressingly low and many burn out quickly. There is absolutely no room to advance other then possibly switching between the few units. But management and leadership jobs are extremely limited. There is ONE MSN degree between the whole nurse educator team. The hardest part of the job is watching the same twelve "leadership" position employees receive made up awards for "their hard work". I have learned get in and get your experience and get out asap for a supportive magnet hospital. The pay is decent and the benefits are great. The staff is truly kind. I always enjoyed my co-workers. The worst part of the job is management ignores your positive ideas for cost effective change. The directors should join undercover bosses on TLC.
Pros
co workers, pay, benifits
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management, poor support for employes, saftey conerns, secerty gaurds are old and limited, management uses bully tactis

4.2