St. Charles Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor Healthcare system
Registered Nurse-Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 2, 2017
This hospital is behind on evidence based practice. Physicians do not follow up to date guidelines in healthcare. Staff RN's do not promote clean safe environments to work in.
Hard Work
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 29, 2017
Too busy doing work constantly and independently. Us workers also worked as a team when the work gets backed up.

Working in a hospital environment is very hard and more competitive.
Pros
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Cons
Working very hard independently as well as a team.
Excellent place to work. Interesting working for a hospital
Medical Billing/Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 11, 2017
This was my forte, A great job. Working in a hospital can be quite interesting. Many different ailments with a diverse population. I found working in the emergency Department very life changing.
Pros
Diverse duties, one day collecting the next day helping patients
Cons
Just a wonderful place to work. Management was excellent
Great place to work with very good people
Room Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 7, 2017
Management is decent. the job is fast paced but very rewarding. The hospital is full of crazy situations that you learn from the it can be hard. You deal with a lot of people who come in and out of the hospital and the hard part is not knowing if they ended up being okay or not.
Pros
good people
Cons
could use better managers
productive
General Practice Resident (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 4, 2017
The workplace culture is very family-like, and you get to treat a lot of patients who are in need of the service. The hardest part of the job is possibly the weather.
Rewarding
CLEANER AND DRYER RESTORATION COMPANY (Former Employee) –  Oregon, OHMay 15, 2017
A very rewarding job, not meant for everyone. Its really a face paced job. Lot to do and learn. I loved the interaction with the patients and the doctors and nurses.
Pros
rewarding and busy
Na
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Oregon, OHApril 27, 2017
have worked as PRN for the past 5 years like the flexibility in those hours. I need a full time job and that is why I am searching. St Charles hospital has been great to work for and will continue to work for many more years to come
Great fun and educational
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 20, 2016
Everyday I'm there I get to learn something new. It's a great environment to work. I truly enjoy my position and wish they had another full time position.
Cons
Only one part time and one full time position
I'm looking for something closer to home
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYNovember 26, 2016
People are friendly and nice but looking something closer to home. I do like working in the Catholic Health Service and feel they really care about their patients with is the main thing. Please see my resume for my experience and qualifications
Clean and wonderful place to work.
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 26, 2016
Great working environment and people. Clean and safe place to work. One of the best learning experiences!
Pros
Recognition
Great work environment.
Fieldwork Level II (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMay 16, 2016
Welcoming environment with friendly and helpful staff. Provides educational environment for learning and enhancing rehabilitative skills.
Wonderful Co-workers/Uncaring Management
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 10, 2016
As a nurse working for this hospital there is very little respect from upper management. Staffing is always short, which results in high, unrealistic, and dangerous patient loads. Schedules are made short due to lack of staffing (no hiring). There seems to be tremendous pressure on supervision to keep staffing costs down. One can only assume this is coming from "the top". Although the nurses are (for the most part) very caring, diligent, and team workers - the culture of care in this organization is almost non-existent. Staffing shortages are blamed on the nurses for calling in sick, being on vacation, and not working beyond their appointed hours. Nurses are expected to pick-up extra work shifts to make up for the lack of hiring and lack of absentee coverage. This is all very ironic since it is a Catholic Hospital. They will take all patients in, but once you're inside the care received is usually inadequate and sometimes borders on dangerous (due to short staffing). Patients are constantly being transferred (at all hours) which adds to the already impossible workload. This is far from a Magnet Hospital.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
unsafe patient load
good experience,
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 8, 2016
Lots of work, must be creative in the care and well being of the patients as well as being attentive. The Staff is very hard working and supportive.
Pros
work experience
Cons
staffing
great place to work.
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 28, 2016
Small community hospital. Great staff, good teamwork. Management is reasonable. Staff dedicated to providing the best care possible to the patients and their families.
Love the People
Gift Shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Madras, ORDecember 10, 2015
Fun work place with very nice people and management. The most enjoyable part about the job is meeting new people and having conversations with them. I love learning new thing.
Pros
Free lunches, easy to work with
Cons
Short breaks, and lunches
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 5, 2015
Supportive management and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and forming relationships with customers as well as co-workers.
Not run well
Patient service representative (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 25, 2015
This was a very busy clinic, but was not run very well. We had NO breaks, we had to work overtime with no pay. Very tense work environment.
Pros
Loved working with people.
Cons
NO breaks, Overtime but no pay.
Wonderful Hospital
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 24, 2015
Great place to work. Everyone knows you. You are expected and proud to be engaged in the Hospital's success. The patient comes first before the employees or leaders. Great CAO.
Pros
Engaged Workforce
Cons
Budget constraints from CHS
good pay, poor saftey for safe, bullying behavior in management, no room to advance
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  staffSeptember 12, 2015
A typical day includes being dangerously short staffed, management will state "we are doing the best we can" many patients are aggressive and no provisions are made to keep staff safe. Security guards are far and few within the hospital ,they are elderly and useless in crisis. Detox patients now overrun their units and the staff is always in critically dangerous situations. Management uses bullying tactics and are not resources as many of them have limited nursing experience and limited degrees. The hardest part of the job is having detox patients at overwhelming numbers mixed into medical patient loads. The staff moral is depressingly low and many burn out quickly. There is absolutely no room to advance other then possibly switching between the few units. But management and leadership jobs are extremely limited. There is ONE MSN degree between the whole nurse educator team. The hardest part of the job is watching the same twelve "leadership" position employees receive made up awards for "their hard work". I have learned get in and get your experience and get out asap for a supportive magnet hospital. The pay is decent and the benefits are great. The staff is truly kind. I always enjoyed my co-workers. The worst part of the job is management ignores your positive ideas for cost effective change. The directors should join undercover bosses on TLC.
Pros
co workers, pay, benifits
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management, poor support for employes, saftey conerns, secerty gaurds are old and limited, management uses bully tactis
Externship at St. Charles Hospital was a great experience.
Externship- Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 19, 2015
The externship that I completed at St. Charles Hospital was a great experience! The licensed speech language pathologists were wonderful and extremely helpful at guiding me through their daily routines. They were available to answer questions and taught me a great amount during my 10-week externship.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Charles Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3