St. Coletta of Greater Washington Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 23, 2017
Great place to start if your passion is about working with special needs children and young adults. Despite the ailments and other difficulties the kids go through, they come to school smiling.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great environment and teamwork
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2017
Learning different ways to deal with the needs of students who cannot communicate using their voice. The best part of the jib is seeing progress in not only your student but all of the students. Also gaining a bond with your students and gaining that trust.
Pros
Staff to student bonding
Cons
Short Breaks
It was a very eye opening exprience.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2017
Dealing with people from different age range on the daily bases. Every job has there pros/cons. however, I looked at it as a learning experience. It showed me how grateful I am to be able to help others with daily activities throughout their life because, they are not able to do so theirselves
lots of CBI outings
House Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington DCFebruary 27, 2017
I have been working with ST.Coletta for 16 years and i have never regretted being here,The students here love to learn and i enjoy the skills i have learn here to help these student achieve their goals of being independent as much as possible.
Pros
Great support from staff teachers therapist
Cons
revolving door good workers don't stay
Horrible school to work at!
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 30, 2016
One of the worst schools I've ever worked at. The children are great and you really fall in love with them. But the staff? Ghetto, unprofessional, snobby, dishonest, petty... I could go on. The turn around rate is crazy! They hire about 10-15 people every single month. And fire about the same as well. I wouldn't refer anyone to work here.
I love the children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2016
The staff was not as friendly as you would expect for a school environment. The children are amazing and fun to work with. They keep you busy and on your toes.
St. Colleta
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 25, 2016
the job is really easy to get. i enjoyed what i was doing helping the adults with disabilities get through their day and showing them how to be independent. the job is really great but the only flaw is management. the management is trash. they sit in the office all day staring at their computer and give the participants dumb task to do, for example sorting beads, where in life is a grown adult going to use sorting beads in a working environment. the only way for you and your participant to really learn something is if you take them out in the community and teach them about taking public transportation and help them seek for a job. which each staff tries to do everyday but doing the same thing everything in a daily basis gets really overwhelming and boring. i see no progress in the management any time soon. if you want to work here, plan to stay there for at least 3 months because you'll feel like you'll be working there for 3 years.
Pros
get to clock in early, go out in the community, very good benefits
Cons
MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT
Low staff morale, and a lot of demanding work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2016
The school was excellent when it came to producing students with supplies and equipment that they needed to be successful.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
rarely can take individual breaks
Great team atmosphere
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
St. Coletta is a great place for physical therapists to gain valuable pediatrics experience. Students range from age 3-22 and present with various physical conditions. A large staff and family environment allow for good work environment and work/life balance.
Dont do it
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2016
The kids are great but the management runs a slave ship for all colors, they treat everyone loke dirt, when you get hurt on the job its not their problem. If you have a voice of your own when you feel like something isnt right...even being a advocate for yhe kids...your a target...please dont set yourself up for misfortune
Pros
Kids
Cons
Everything else
general, yet honest
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
The kids are great! It can be a very enriching experience, if you have patience and a genuine love for children with special needs. It's very demanding, yet rewarding.
Not a great company
Class ParaProfessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2015
This company is very sneaky and only make sure administrative are put first. The students are not a priority to the Administrative, but are to the Lead Teachers and lower staff. A typical day at this job involves behavioral issues, but the kids are such a blessing. The hardest part is trying to not react to the kids reaction. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you are able to give back to individuals that actually need help and seeing progress from them becoming independent.
Work experience
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2015
This is definitely a starter job to get some experience in the education field. Extremely hard to stay because of long hours, high demands, and low appreciation. Majority of classrooms are understaffed and underpaid, but easy to grow because of the high turnover rate. The best part is working with this company are the students, watching them progress month to month and knowing you had an impact. Parents also show much appreciation which can be rewarding.
The Kids are great
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2015
The kids are great and it is a great beginning experience.You learn a lot from the kids basically just as much as they learn.
A beautiful building, wonderful participants, and great support staff.
Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 28, 2015
St. Coletta of Greater Washington, is a wonderful company. I had the privilege working for this company for almost two years. Everyone is wonderful to work with.
Pros
great company
Cons
n/a
Worst job ever!
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2015
The turn over rate is ridiculous mainly because they treat the staff poorly. Any complaints? Unless you're a house manager or teacher your concerns aren't viable or addressed. The culture at St. Colleta is disrespectful to say the least worst job by far I ever had!
Pros
If your desperate for money perfect
Cons
lunch breaks, poor management, tense environment, unsanitary conditions
Engaging and Rewarding Job Experience
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 15, 2015
There is a routine that we try to follow every day. We work with adults with intellectual disabilities and routine is a very important part of their ability to get their work done. At Woodmont Weavers, the participants weave intricate pieces that can be sold as scarves or tote bags.

First, there is break time when everyone has a chance to get settled in. After break time, the participants are given projects to work on. My job is to assist the participants and answer any questions they have. Each DSP has a number of participants assigned them to help meet their goals. Around 10:30 a.m. I pull each participant individually to a separate area to work on their goals. One participant, for example, has a goal of learning the names and dosages of all the medications she takes. Another participant has a goal to learn work-related phrases in English in order to communicate effectively in the work place. At 11 a.m. I take the participants on a walk for 30 minutes to meet their exercise goals. Then we have lunch for about an hour. After lunch, the participants continue working on their projects and goals with their DSP. Around 2:30 p.m. I walk with the participants to their transportation vehicles. Then each DSP grabs the binders for each of their participants and we write an analysis of the day and whether each goal was met. After this it is time to go home.
Pros
Great work environment, hour lunch, 30 minute break
Cons
pay is low
awful
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 29, 2014
worst job ever! the management is horrible! turnover rate was not because of the participants as they would say it was because there was no structure. the bosses did not know what they were doing. so thankful got out of that sink hole.
Pros
participants
Cons
management, pay, no structure
Productive, Fun Workplace
Adult Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 16, 2014
I enjoyed my time here at this company. The management team was great and fun to learn and work with as well as learn from. A typical day at work is welcoming all the participants every morning and checking them in on daily basis. Next I would file all my documentation of checking in with my supervisor and after i would go straight and start working with my one-to-one participant, Where i would teach them vocational jobs skills in order to help them find a job that best suite them in the workforce. My Co-worker was a great group of people to work with, They was also a great helping hand whenever I needed them.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Short Lunch break
wonderful and fun work environment
Paraprofessional/Classroom Aid (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2014
Providing one-to-one support to an assigned student and assists the teacher in daily classroom tasks. Making a learning environment which improves and develops the student's social, communication and intellectual skill. Using my knowledge of and implementing the assigned student's Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals and objectives. Data collection and documentation of students’ progress and maintain student portfolios. It is a team work based environment, and very fast paced.
Pros
field trips, great benefits
Cons
fast paced and unpredictable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Coletta of Greater Washington. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9