St. Coletta of Greater Washington

St. Coletta of Greater Washington Employer Reviews

Productive, Fun Workplace
Adult Program Assistant (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJune 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short lunch break
I enjoyed my time here at this company. The management team was great and fun to learn and work with as well as learn from. A typical day at work is welcoming all the participants every morning and checking them in on daily basis. Next I would file all my documentation of checking in with my supervisor and after i would go straight and start working with my one-to-one participant, Where i would teach them vocational jobs skills in order to help them find a job that best suite them in the workforce. My Co-worker was a great group of people to work with, They was also a great helping hand whenever I needed them.
wonderful and fun work environment
Paraprofessional/Classroom Aid (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 7, 2014
Pros: field trips, great benefits
Cons: fast paced and unpredictable
Providing one-to-one support to an assigned student and assists the teacher in daily classroom tasks. Making a learning environment which improves and develops the student's social, communication and intellectual skill. Using my knowledge of and implementing the assigned student's Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals and objectives. Data collection and documentation of students’ progress and maintain student portfolios. It is a team work based environment, and very fast paced.
Great for kids with special needs not for employees
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: turnover rate, terrible management
Cons: resources, great kids
A pretty cool program for kids, but they do not care about their employees. A huge turnover rate. Great resources but not worth it.
A great organization, with a great mission.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 13, 2014
St. Coletta does wonderful work at the school. I learned a lot during my time there.
Great place to start....
Adult Program Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 26, 2013
Pros: benefits and leave and no weekends
Cons: hourly wages
A typical day at work is requires me to have my day activities planned ahead. Make sure participants are escorted to their appropriate or group rooms. When my group is completely gathered together, a morning activity is provided. Or some participants independently work on an activity of their choice. We work on themed arts and craft projects throughout the day, and personal/individualized goal achieving activities .
Management is management. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a participant execute a goal that they have been working on then using it as if it came naturally to them.
They do not pay enough
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Rockville, MdOctober 9, 2013
Its something to get your foot in the door. Very under staff. They are not coordinated well
Rewarding
Adult Program Assistant (Former Employee), Woodmont Weavers located in Ballston, VAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: love working with talented people, rewarding work, provided excellent training
I worked with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a weaving workshop. Although all of them have disabilities, it did not show in their weaving craft. I've seen some beautiful work. I provided supervision to make sure the weaving was correct, the looms were set up for weaving projects, and encouraged the participants to do their best.
Enjoyable school with all the materials needed for the children needs
Paraprofessional – Special Education (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 31, 2013
Seeing the children exit the bus in the morning greeting them was a plus. That all the children needed is love and patience and I have lots to give. Management was a little difficult i feel it was new to most of the Teachers their because some was straight from college and never dealt with the children. Feeling that you can do more when you are actually doing whats needed. Seeing the children face when you are having a hard time away from work. And knowing I am making a difference.
PRODUCTIVE WORKPLACE
Job Coach / Program Assistant (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJuly 3, 2013
Pros: free launches
working with Autistic kids teaching them independence on transportation, employment,co-workers are great management needs more work I've learned a lot about illnesses on different special needs that I wasn't aware of..
Beware
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 9, 2013
Pros: time off, great benefits and fitness classes
Cons: no respect for staff
Don't be fooled by the nice building or its interior. Most of the things you are taught in training you will not have any use for it while working in the classroom. I feel like they bait you in because they know the turn around rate for employees are high. They automatically assume that the reason most people don't stay is because they cant handle children with special needs but thats not true at all. The kids are wonderful but the staff is shady. You have to watch out for the teachers, therapists and house managers because they will throw you under the bus even if you was not responsible for any wrong doing just to save their butt. Alot of the kids are not being properly taken care of by their parents but its thrown under the rugs because they dont want to deal with it. Kids are malnourished, wear the same clothes for days and come to school smelling and dirty. I believe this building is a decoy just to get money off these kids. Beware!!! It's not what it seems. No one respects you opinion and the pay is not good especially with what you have to deal with. If you work at this job take it for what it is and learn as much as you and apply it some where else!!
Draining but well worth it depending on your career and education goals.
Classroom Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2013
There is no parking for Para Professionals, only for Teachers Assistants, teachers and higher administration staff. You walk in blindly, but they warn you about the many behaviors and disabliities that you will encounter. Some of the teachers are very LAZY, so sometimes you end up doing alot of their jobs. They run a tight schedule and your in constant transition with your students. You must follow their Possitive Suport behavior ploicey for students who need it. Examlple, if you havee a studen who self injures himself as well as tries to harm you, you are not supposed to restrain them or oush them away. But follow their policies. A BUNCH OF NONSENSE!!! M any times, they will switch up rules on you. One day your dooing this and the next day that rule doesnt apply to the situation. So, really study the staff handbook, pay attention and ask as many questions as you need in the training so that if they pull something shady or just stupid on you, you will have proff. Make sure you make note of anything your student is doing or something that a teacher did or said to you asap! Keep a journal with those types of incidents because thats exactly how they will get you!!
YOu can be switched to another student at even given time, without a solid reason. If your student does not come to school and another class is down staff, you will have to be moved to another class for the day. Sometimes thats a good thing but a bad thing, depending on the class and the student.

But, you leanr SO MUCH while your here and these kids help to build you as a person, also. You may come in trying to help them but you realize they helped you even more. Helped you develp more patience, compassion, love and tolerate a little bit more. I do not advise anyone to work here if you just want some quick money!!! This is not the job for that, go to retail!
Awesome Clients and Families
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 13, 2013
Overall, a really good place to work. The individuals served are absolutely amazing and its hard not to enjoy them. Days can be difficult but the victories make each day worth while.
Great Place to Work
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 10, 2012
Pros: lots of holidays off
Cons: dc traffic is not the greatest
Great Boss, Great Staff. Can get pretty crazy at times but that kept things interesting.
fun
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Rockville, MDAugust 31, 2012
nice building, fun to work with participants, fairly new management who are trying their best to work things out, hardest part of the job is drama by coworkers
Kids with disablitiy
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 6, 2012
Pros: my student was looking forward to seeing me every day
Cons: had to wait in the cold. staff did not have a place to park
I had a little boy I work with every day, he bought joy with his smile. We did have our ups and downs but we move pass all of that. It was a blessing to see him put a puzzle together. that lets me know my hard work had paid off.