St. Coletta of Greater Washington Employee Reviews

Patience Needed
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2018
This was a place where you never knew what you were going to get on a daily basis. Students and sometimes staff were very unpredictable due to their varying conditions.
Pros
flexible about attendance if you are a great worker
Cons
pay was kind of low for what you had to deal with
Stressfull
Assistant Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2017
Work was fast pace, however I learned a lot about being a manager and how to evaluate other employees. Enjoyed the busy environment as I would rather be busy at work than bored.
benefits
Cons
stressful
what have i learn
Behavior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2017
working with kids with disability has also been a great deed for me in the past years ,to learn what ability a child can or cannot do as long as I saw some progress it is a joy
Pros
my department
Cons
not to many attenitive staff
students are wonderful to work with but the salary wont keep you long
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 31, 2017
St Coletta is a start up job that leads to other job opportunities. St. Coletta atmosphere amongst staff can be either good or bad depends on what you make of it. I learned to do my job and not get involved in drama.
Pros
hours, clients, staff bonds
Cons
salary, salary, salary
You will still be broke
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2017
Do not waste your time. Management does not care about you, they are all self serving. This is complete high school environment, with tons of gossip and very little work done. The little amount you are paid is not equivalent to the amount of work you will do. The organizations brings in thousands of dollars monthly but they are not evenly disbursed to staff members or the participants in the three programs.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management, low wages
Good luck
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 2, 2017
Will never work thera again. They don't care about their employees at all. There was a horrible director who showed no sympathy when an employee is attack by one of individuals that attend the program.
Pros
The program assistants are amazing
Cons
short breaks, unappreciated, behind on behavior plans, you might get someone with severe behavior issues without warning
The kids enjoyed water day, and PE
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2017
It was a nightmare! but I did learn a few things to help me along the way for a better position! I thought it was poorly managed, the moral was very, very, very low! The turnover rate for employees was very, very high! The PT'S treated the Para's like they were beneath them, they talked down to Para's terribly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Students!!
Stressful
Program Assistant/Adult Day Program (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 27, 2017
Stressful, to much work less on pay. Management is not good company scam money Employee's stealing money/personal items from the clients. Don't work here
I enjoyed the students.
Dedicated ParaProfessional (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2017
A typical work day includes helping students transition, morning meeting routine, and one-on-one instruction. I learned great positive behavioral strategies. The most enjoyable part of this job is the students you engage with.
Pros
The experience and skills that you acquire.
Cons
summer break isn't long enough
Great program for students AND staff
Educator/admin (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJuly 19, 2017
St. Coletta teaches students with severe disabilities using a functional curriculum. They work on daily living skills, communication, behavior management, independent living skills, vocational training and functional academics. The focus is on teaching skills for kids with significant disabilities how to be as independent as possible. Activities are based on a theme and are fun, exciting, interactive, multi-sensory and include a lot of different experiences, including going out into the community on a regular basis. There is a lot of technology available in the classroom to support students with communicating as well as to enhance instruction.
Staff get training on a lot of different teaching strategies that focus on supporting students with disabilities, and access to resources is excellent. Teachers collaborate well together in teams with therapists. Support staff working 1:1 with students have often been complimented by outsiders as being "kind", "caring", and "attentive".
There is room for growth if you take steps necessary to gain the skills needed. If you have an interest in a specific area, management and administration will work with you to give you opportunities in that area.
Benefits are great, the building is beautiful, and the overall work environment is extremely enjoyable.
The staff turnover can definitely cause morale issues. This is more frequent at the para level, but more impacting when teachers leave mid-year. With an 11-month program, which highly benefits students, teachers often leave to get a longer summer break.
Pros
functional skills for students, training for staff, benefits (health, retirement)
Cons
turnover
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 13, 2017
I love my job. I supervise staff as well as case management for the clients we serve. We have the opportunity to really get to know individuals with intellectual disabilities and other disabilities reach personal and physical goals. It is a joy to be able to help others. My work load is hard at times because we have to collaborate with other agencies and help professional in order to meet the needs of the clients we serve. The reward is to see an individual master a goal that they have been working on for a while.
Pros
The joy of helping others.
Cons
The pay is low for the work that is being done.
Not for everybody
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 8, 2017
It takes a special kind of person to work for a place like this. Unless you really have a passion for teaching children with special needs I wouldn't try it.
Pros
Cons
aggressive students, negative work environment
some of the management staff need to learn to talk to people.If the company paid more people wouldn't leave so quickly
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMay 28, 2017
The program needs a lot of work, the participants are great though.
If there was a salary increase and more staff appreciation was shown the place would be better. One of the PC was great she listened and worked with staff but the others were horrible that's why i left.
Pros
Cons
low pay
Calm Cool and Collective atmosphere to get your feet wet with disabled children.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2017
Overall, this job experience was an absolute headache. The children were not as a engaged as I hoped for and there was no solid lesson plan to help the children grow as a collective nor individually. The most enjoyable part of the job was mid week when the children were able to play with musical instruments and experience the great outdoors from gardening.
Pros
spending quality time with children in need
Cons
no free lunch, short breaks, disorganization from teachers
Rewarding
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 23, 2017
Great place to start if your passion is about working with special needs children and young adults. Despite the ailments and other difficulties the kids go through, they come to school smiling.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great environment and teamwork
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2017
Learning different ways to deal with the needs of students who cannot communicate using their voice. The best part of the jib is seeing progress in not only your student but all of the students. Also gaining a bond with your students and gaining that trust.
Pros
Staff to student bonding
Cons
Short Breaks
It was a very eye opening exprience.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2017
Dealing with people from different age range on the daily bases. Every job has there pros/cons. however, I looked at it as a learning experience. It showed me how grateful I am to be able to help others with daily activities throughout their life because, they are not able to do so theirselves
lots of CBI outings
House Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington DCFebruary 27, 2017
I have been working with ST.Coletta for 16 years and i have never regretted being here,The students here love to learn and i enjoy the skills i have learn here to help these student achieve their goals of being independent as much as possible.
Pros
Great support from staff teachers therapist
Cons
revolving door good workers don't stay
Horrible school to work at!
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 30, 2016
One of the worst schools I've ever worked at. The children are great and you really fall in love with them. But the staff? Ghetto, unprofessional, snobby, dishonest, petty... I could go on. The turn around rate is crazy! They hire about 10-15 people every single month. And fire about the same as well. I wouldn't refer anyone to work here.
I love the children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2016
The staff was not as friendly as you would expect for a school environment. The children are amazing and fun to work with. They keep you busy and on your toes.