St. Coletta of Wisconsin

St. Coletta of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

The Not-So-Charitable Organization
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILNovember 16, 2013
This non-profit organization (direct management & upper management) expects far too much from its direct care staff for the low wages they pay. I played the role of grocery shopper, accountant, cook, therapist, bather, chauffeur, teacher, nurse, and more, for only $10.50/hr for SEVEN women. Most of the time, I worked my shifts alone, or went to work in fear of being by myself, because the company's turnover was so high. There was little work/life balance due to the fact that management would call me on my days off and expect me to fill in for those who called off, or it was implied that I'd be "in trouble." At one point, a supervisor asked me to work an overnight shift (11pm-9am) immediately after working a 12-hour shift (according to the organization's policy, 16 hours is the maximum consecutive hours allowable to work).

My general understanding was that no matter how much I did, it was never enough. I never felt like my work was appreciated. I also never felt like I could trust my coworkers and supervisors, or HR; the environment was very gossipy and catty. There was little to no support, and I often went home completely burnt out, crying my eyes out.

This organization is based and directed from Jefferson, WI, and due to its distance, I feel like a lot of things in the Rolling Meadows division got swept under the rug and out of sight from Jefferson.

Although this job was extremely challenging, I loved the clients that I worked with (even though they could be challenging, too). I still think of them almost a year later and wonder how they're doing. I wish that I could have
  more... done more for them, but the organization did not provide the resources.  less
Pros
clients
Cons
no pay raises, no job advancement, workload, unsupportive management & coworkers
Terrible Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 22, 2013
I have worked for St. Coletta for over a year now and have given it my all and I am completely at the end of my rope. I worked in Jefferson before transferring to Waukesha and I can say that the environment is not very different.

The clients are nice to work with and the experience I have had with them is invaluable. It is also nice that St. Coletta certifies staff to pass medication. These are the only positives I can think of.

They over work the staff to the point of exhaustion. They expect 3 staff to take out 3 to 5 clients almost everyday of the week. Almost all of these clients are wheelchairs. On top of that they expect a lot of unnecessary paper work to be filled out. I understand that documentation is important with this work but with all of the outings they expect staff to do the last thing we have time to do is paperwork, they just keep piling it on.

Management is the worst part. They do not manage. They gossip and try to "motivate" staff by telling them that other workers are complaining about them. I have worked every shift in the house I work in now and currently I work 3rd shift. The 3rd shift schedule is 7 days on 7 days off. That is 7 days in a row without a break and 3rd shift is the only shift with one staff. Management does not take any of this into consideration when confronting staff. Managers clearly have favorites and don't mind sabotaging perfectly good employees just to make themselves look good.

On top of all this the pay is terrible.
Pros
nice clients, some fun outings
Cons
management, wages, bad work environment
Very rewarding job that is easily becomes personal
Assist adults with mental & physical disabilities (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, WINovember 11, 2014
When you start this job and go through all the intensive training you walk into the home feeling very scared and unsure if you are even able to handle it. The first day is the scariest as you literally have someones life in your hand and they are dependent on you - so it is very intimidating. As you go through your job duties, somewhere along the line you lose the feeling that this is a job and it becomes more personal! It is almost impossible to explain and rather you just have to experience it to understand. The relationships that you build with your clients grow to where you almost see them as part of your family and you truly care for them. Working with people with disabilities is difficult for find the right mix of professionalism and care but also promoting their independence and growth. It is a great place to work and the clients are what make it rewarding, however it turns into more than a job and you constantly think of them even when you are off, so it feels like a 24 hr job.
Pros
you build lifetime relationships with clients
Cons
it is easy to get burned out
awful place to work!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 7, 2013
This is a horrible place to work. I worked there for 2 years, and although I loved the clients I worked with, the supervisors were absolutely terrible. They treated all the employees horribly, but they had their favorites. I got let go because I had reported to a higher up that my supervisor wasn't doing her job, and she got talked to. She reamed me out for doing that and getting her in trouble. When a client got hurt with another staff wihle I was on the same shift, I got blamed for it by my supervisor and was used as a scapegoat and got fired. Even though I didn't and would never do anything! I loved those clients so much and would do anything for them. I miss them terribly, but I would never want to work for that supervisor ever again, and feel so bad for anybody who does work for them.
Pros
awesome clients and co-workers
Cons
supervisors, and supervisors who have power trips
My favorite so far
DSP (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, WINovember 12, 2015
I can honestly say this is one of the best organizations that I worked for in this field! I really got along well with my supervisor and liked my coworkers which makes work not feel like work! I also liked the clients I worked with and knowing that I'm helping them live a good life. Overall I looked forward to coming to work everyday, especially after they raised the pay! I had to move out of state or I would still be there.

A typical day for me included preparing dinner, welcoming the clients home, passing medications and then helping clean-up and get them ready for bed. Sometimes if I finished everything then I would find things to do like clean or just hang out with the guys and watch wheel of fortune.
Pros
pay, feel good about what I do, good people
Cons
on the job training was different from classroom training
interacting with residents doing different activities and going on outings.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Jefferson WIMay 9, 2012
Typical day getting dinner done, may have to pick a resident up from program or take to an appointment. Assisting with personal cares at night, make lunches for those going out to program or work the next morning. I got a lot of on the job training. Here i learned to use alot of equipment like sit to stand and hoyer lift, learned how to take care of residents who were unable to take care of themselves. the hardest part of the job was working 16hr days, sometimes overnights also another part of the job that was very hard was loosing a resident. the most enjoyable was when there were outings like to the zoo, a picnic or dance. lots of fun.
Pros
excellent training program
Cons
no job advancement
Awful Place to Work!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILApril 22, 2014
Horrible pay, non-existent and/or unaffordable benefits, no raises, and incompetent leadership team in Wisconsin.

Leadership is not progressive and stuck in their ways. They do not consider employee input for improvements; they make decisions in a vacuum. Illinois employees are treated like second class citizens.

Employees are treated as expendable garbage. Turnover is upwards of 60%, and there is a reason why. The whole environment is toxic!

Run, do not walk, away from this organization. They have plenty of competitors in the area who treat employees better.

The place is run by a bunch of clowns. Oh, and they don't REALLY care about the clients; it's all an act to protect their image.
Pros
clients
Cons
pay, culture, hours, benefits, incompetent leadership team
Great Co-Workers who are helpful
Development Dept. Office Assistant, Switchboard (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, WIJuly 23, 2012
Like the variety of my work within the Development Dept. I do data entry, help with event planning and mailings, do filing for 2 depts. and also work the front switchboard as needed. I like the contact, which I have with our Clients on our Housekeeping Staff! The Mission Focus and Christian Atmosphere has been wonderful for me to experience.
Pros
nice co-workers, contact with clients and free coffee
Cons
rather small personal work area
Rewarding work for little pay
Assisting clients (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 23, 2014
I absolutely loved my clients and I think St. Coletta provided quality service to them. I felt supported and was recognized for working hard. My compassion and dedication did not show in the form of payment, but in the gratitude from my clients and supervisors. While most days were uneventful, you have to be prepared for emergencies on the drop of a dime.
Pros
relaxed work environment, rewarding, flexibility
Cons
poor pay
productive,fun religious place to work
Home Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILJuly 2, 2012
I work 8 1/2 hours a day i manage 4 homes with medical appointment's i learned a lot about the diagnosis of the people i serve and and i meet a lot of people and doctors in the field i'm in the hardiest part of this job is trying to explain to the people i serve that i'm taking then to a appointment because then they think i'm going to leave them their the most enjoyable part is the people i serve
Pros
fun
Cons
non
Although work is spiritually rewarding, management is a thorn.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WiMay 13, 2015
It's great to work with the clients. The only downfall is how management treats all workers as if they're disposable. A typical day at work entitles passing medications, preparing meals, and helping your clients with whatever the day entitles. Co-workers vary, gossip is more than common.
Pros
Life fulfillment
Cons
Job instability
direct professional
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, WIAugust 22, 2013
the hours don't work very well I want to be home with my family. I have a 2 year old daughter that was to sit at a babysitters till 8pm at night and I want to be home with my daughter and this job doesn't work so good. This job doesn't pay enough. The Management is good. The hardest part is that I have to deal with clients who hit and hurt me and I don't want to deal with that.
Not very organized/careful you know what you are getting into
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, WIJuly 15, 2012
St. Coletta is a great institution. Most of the staff is incredible. The finance/accounting division is very different. The people at the top of this organization seem to be more interested in profit? There is no organization in this department either please make sure you know what you are getting into.
Developmental Disability Aide
Developmental Disability Aide (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILMay 8, 2014
• Oversees care and supervision of multiple developmentally disabled
clients in a group home environment
• Plans and executes weekly nutrition plans
• Client nutrition & personal hygiene care
• Assists with administering medications to clients
Nice place to work!
DSP (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, WIMarch 21, 2013
I work in the homes and love both the clients I work with and my co-workers. My supervisors are hard workers and try to help me with anything that I need. One of my favorites parts is the vacation and time off package that you get when you start.
Pros
good benefits and nice people
Rewarding mission
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, WIJune 8, 2014
St. Coletta of Wisconsin is passionate about it's mission of serving persons with developmental disabilities
Pros
work environment
Cons
funding does not keep pace with increasing costs
Low pay
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  MadisonFebruary 14, 2015
Ok to start out temporarily. Don't stay too long, you'll have nothing to show for it. I was there for 10 years, I lived barely scraping by the whole time. Some really good people there though.
sucky place
dsp (Former Employee) –  ilJanuary 26, 2014
You dont get paid enough to do what you do. No raise. Not alot chances for advancement. Clients are cool but then schedule sucks. Also when stuff hits the fan your used as an ecspace goat and no one looks back.
Terrible place
staff (Former Employee) –  wisconsinApril 11, 2014
Very unprofessional employment. Is a poorly managed organization. Does not care about its clients or staff.

2.8