St. Croix Hospice Employee Reviews

Rewarding position
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 26, 2016
The work itself is completely rewarding. It takes a special person to care for a dying patient allowing them dignity during their last few moments on Earth. Promises were made about position advancement/promotion, only to have the job be given to someone else. The admission process went from the nurse contacting the patient and setting up a time that was mutually agreeable, to having the "secretary" set up the admissions. Admits were often scheduled for late afternoon (4pm) or weekends. Each admit takes on average 3 hours; so after seeing patients all day, then doing a late day admit, it wasn't unusual to work a 16 hour day...and this was seen as "ok" by management. Training process was somewhat weak.
Pros
Good benefits, company car, good pay, caring for a special group of patients.
Cons
Long hours, admissions often scheduled for late evening hours, poor work/family life balance
Great place in my mind
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  New Hampton, IAAugust 25, 2016
I have been working here for over 2 years and I am very grateful for the structure and management of this organization. Our office is a tight knit team and our director of patient services is very supportive and understanding. Very flexible and willing to work with me when something comes up in my personal life.

Upper management at corporate are very down to earth people and understanding of our work-life balance. Always promote and encourage a healthy work environment and set us up for success. Wonderful philosophy of care which is patient centered and dedicated to provide the greatest care possible to patients and their families. Awesome benefits to include a company vehicle, awesome on call compensation, and a 401K plan. Ive never felt more supportive than at St. Croix Hospice.
Pros
The people I work with, support from management, and quality of care.
Cons
Horrible company to work for
Employee (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 29, 2016
This company grew to fast. 20 year olds in high management positions at corporate office and have no management skills. Nurse's have a high turner
Rate due to burn-out. Over worked...a lot of traveling and on call work. Never get you work done in a day..much charting done in the evening. Weekday and weekend on call. Trading is awful..no one has the correct training to do if you get training. No advancement in position. Ask for more job duties and trained done. Compensation started out good but when no advancement...yearly raise isn't much. Employee turn around is very high. The smaller offices suffer the most..no support from corporate when needed. I would never recommended this company to anyone for any position that is out there.
Cons
Micromanaged. Always given grief when time needed off. Rarely got a lunch. Flexibility not great.
Attention RN's - Not a good career choice
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMay 5, 2016
Communication is horrible, compensation is horrible, workload is ridiculous. On call week-ends are crazy. Covering 80 patients with one nurse. Prepare to work sun up through the night all weekend, then be expected to be at stand up report Monday morning at 8 a.m. Salaried employee, no comp time...

Families and the dying are the ones losing out. No time for compassion. Get in, get out, get paid.

If you dare interview with this company, ask how long RN's stay with the company. Almost guaranteed the highest seniority nurse will have worked there under a year. Ask to speak to your potential co-workers.
Pros
Form a good bond with co-workers
Cons
compensation, communication, $ driven mgmt, employee morale
Overworked, ridiculous caseload, high turnover
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 23, 2016
There's a reason most RN's stay under a year. Admissions take hours of work. Routinely set them up on weekends and Friday evenings so on call nurses have to complete them. See patients during the day then spend evenings at home charting. Communication is horrible. Tons of miles on personal vehicle and they don't pay mileage at the government rate. Poor on call compensation. $50.00 if called out in middle of night, while you may spend 3 or 4 hours at a sight, with charting.
Pros
None, for an RN.
Cons
Too numerous to list, communication is horrible
rewarding work, underpaid, over worked, inconsistent mgmt
RNCM (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 30, 2016
16 hour days plus on-call on a salaried basis, most RNCM don't last a year, training inconsistent and support scant creating tensions in work place; is rewarding work and requires strong emotional base as well as ability to be extremely flexible; management demonstrates little knowledge, understanding of positions creating ineffect contact with field staff
Pros
rewarding work, self scheduling most of time
Cons
underpaid for work, lack of support from mgmt, problem areas seldom resolved in timely manner
Poor orientation
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 25, 2016
Poor orientation process, expectation of knowing the role without proper orientation. When guidance is asked for management does not provide the necessary information. Many hours spent working after the work day ends, poor family work life balance.
Pros
Cons
Poor orientation
Great place to work for and fun environment!
IT Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  OakdaleSeptember 16, 2015
St. Croix Hospice is easily one of the best places I have every worked for. There are many many benefits including holiday pay, PTO, 401k, health benefits and many more. I like that they offer a generous fleet vehicle program where they provide a gas card, pay for maintenance and vehicle repairs and the insurance so you don't have to wreck your vehicle driving if needed. If you choose your own vehicle they even have mileage reimbursement which is substantial. Overall great company with a very friendly environment.
Pros
Friendly, good benefits, great environment
Cons
None that I can think of
Rewarding work unsupported by management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 7, 2016
Rewarding work, awesome local work environment but corporate folks lack commitment to see rural branches succeed. Lack of support for all positions equally.
Pros
Great staff locally
Cons
Lack of corporate support
Horrible place to work!
HHA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNAugust 5, 2016
Horrible, horrible place to work. Patients don't get the consistency they deserve and neither do the workers. Workers are treated horribly and disrespected. Don't work there. They are always changing their policies.
Pros
Getting to know the patients and their families better
Cons
Too many to list
Challenging and fulfilling environment
RN, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  North Branch, MNNovember 16, 2016
Challenging and fulfilling environment with the opportunity to impact patients future and goals in life by providing ongoing, intensive outpatient followup.
Nothing that stands out
Clinical Supervisor/RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 15, 2015
Ensuring that patient visits are covered for the day. Review email or notes from the evening before. Take care any problems or issues of the 86 patients that my 8 nurses cover. Meet with director of patient services to update on any problems or issues. Schedule or follow-up on any new admissions and decide which nurse to complete the admission. Assist with covering patient visits if admitting nurse has more than two to three visits scheduled. Answer questions intermittently throughout the day from my staff. Prepare for IDG and lead IDG. Home Care Home Base is the EMR that is used and checking nursing orders and QAing staff charting is completed everyday. I had eight nurses, six aides, two social workers, and two chaplains tha I supervised. I would also do skills evaluations and evaluations. Oversee DME and supple usage to ensure non-overage of budget. I am also the CPR instructor, planning and scheduling medical staff for classes.
Pros
I very much enjoyed working with my staff.
Cons
No continuing education availability
Horrible;Avoid at all cost
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  OakdaleAugust 9, 2013
This place is like working in hell. I have never experienced such an unfriendly, corrupt dictatorship they call management in my life. They tell you exactly what you want to hear to get you to take the job and then after you are in they change it all on you. Expect the job to include on call, holidays, weekends, and long hours not to mention beating on your car about 1200 miles a month. They can't hold employees because of the conditions so the turnover is high and the work load is pushed on the nurses that are there. You will be expected to be a case manager, a admit nurse, an aid, and an LPN. They say you are only one upon hire other but then they make you work beneath your licensure and perform other duties. I wouldn't apply here if it was my last option. I have been a nurse a long time and I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I left before a year. I could not deal with it anymore. It affects your personal life ,family life, and your mental state. The nurses are all unhappy and often you will see them crying, upset, and frustrated.
Pros
You can get hired quick and easy
Cons
It will make you hate your job and you will be miserable
Externship (Former Employee) –  Oakdale MNApril 1, 2014
When I was there the company was in process of transferring from paper to electronic medical records. Most of the records I dealt with were paper medical records, I put medical records together for new patients and put paper work that nurses brought in, into the correct medical record. It was a great way to get some experience and to find out if this was something I would enjoy doing. Management was great they were able to help me stay busy when there were slow times. I was able to help assist others in the office with anything they needed to get finished but did not have time to do. The hardest part of the job, well it was a very small room so I had to occupy myself with keeping busy when there was not work to do. I enjoyed the job a lot it was a great learning experience and would love to continue working with medical records.
High amount of firings, poor management
HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNOctober 22, 2013
Typical day: non-stop expectation and pressure to complete a huge amount of work and the duties that are handed down to you. Breaks are few because of the work load. Training is limited but expectations are high to learn very quickly and make few to no mistakes.
Management: are not focused on patient care and morale obligations to the well being of staff. Attitudes were awful. They care about money and how to make more of it. Supervisor said they liked it when patients died quickly because those are the patients they "make bank" from.
Co-workers: disgruntled, overworked, and fearful of losing their jobs-which many of them did unfairly. Many of the staff were compassionate, caring, and hard working because they focused on the patients.
Hardest part of the job: really bad management, job insecurity, no help for work load.
Pros
some training opportunities
Cons
Poor management, few to no breaks, job insecurity
Not the best company to work for
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Minnesota and WisconsinNovember 10, 2014
If you are interested in being part of a team, and being valued as an employee, this might not be your best option. This company has a large employee turnover rate and a high amount of firings. Management provides an environment that makes it unsafe to self-advocate, which likely explains the high turnover. Once a clear understanding is achieved following the orientation period, people tend to leave quickly.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Productive and fun workplace
Office Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJune 30, 2014
Management was easy-going and approachable with a sense of humor when things were stressful.
Over promised, under delivered.
Not a former employee. (Former Employee) –  OakdaleNovember 27, 2013
I am a family member who used these services. I regret that we did now in hindsight, You only get one chance at end-of-life. make sure you really want hospice involved and if you do, you talk to several to see who will work best for your family's needs.
Pros
not many
Cons
too many to list
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMay 15, 2014
I loved working for St. Croix Hospice. The culture is great, I'd let anyone there care for a loved one of mine, if needed. Awesome company.
Good values, lacks organization and leadership
On call/ Triage RN (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNOctober 1, 2012
Hospice was a great experience. Employees are nice and friendly. Lacks leadership and organization. Under paid for the amount of work done.
Pros
worked out of home
Cons
15 hour nights 2-3 nights a week

2.4