St. David's Medical Center

St. David's Medical Center Employer Reviews

Respected place to work
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 7, 2014
Pros: self-scheduling
The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for adult patients. I typically work as a critical care RRT and enjoy working with the nursing staff and Critical Care physicians.
Exccellent work environment
PRN Chaplain (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 22, 2014
St. David's is consistently rated among the top 100 hospitals in the nation, and there is a reason for that. Attention to detail and quality of care is a must. That can add stress to the job, but because everyone works together to successfully administer that excellent care, the work is not overwhelming.

The only drawback to working here is that the – more... hospital was often under-staffed, which made for a heavy workload at times. That situation was much better here than in other places, however. – less
Great Place to experience
Patient Care Technician Level 2 (Current Employee), Austin,TXJanuary 27, 2014
St. Davids provides a diverse health care atmosphere with many incentives to continue education within a specified role needed for fulfillment.
Bullying, Lying all normal in the culture
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 17, 2013
Pros: there are some really great people too
Cons: read the review...too many to mention. fire management.
I have never seen more favoritism, lying, unprofessionalism anywhere else like I saw at St. David's Medical center. I saw things that routinely put patients in danger, and when I reported it, I started getting written up for complete lies. DO NOT WORK THERE.
The ER craziness
Patient Registrar (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 11, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: stress level
Working at the hospital was a different experience but it was a lot of fun.
Harsh Dictatorial Managers
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee), AustinOctober 16, 2013
Pros: coworkers are typically friendly
Cons: management
They are always looking for something and unreasonable in their demands. keep adding piles of work, requiremnets but no increase in pay or benefits.
Amazing place to work
Substitute Registered School Nurse (Former Employee), Del Valle, TXAugust 31, 2013
Pros: fast-paced
Cons: large turnabount
I would have never left if I had not moved away.
Awesome co-workers and management.
please review my resume
Supervisor of Admissions/Patient Access (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 17, 2013
Pros: people you meet
This is a very busy job. But that is ok, due to this is a hospital and making people feel better makes everything ok.
Great place to work supports staff and has great updates to making a nurses life easier
Director of Nursing (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 2, 2013
Pros: large system with multiple sites
Cons: streamlining process sometimes not well thought out
Nursing work is always hard but the leadership at St. David's was a pleasure to work with. Great supportive Directors of Nursing from various opportunities. Allows staff to maximize their potential. The hardest part of the job is that things cannot be changed quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job I had there was the education provided, support – more... for getting higher education, and long term employees. – less
Freindly
Environmental Services Supervisor (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 11, 2013
Pros: positive attitudes
This facility was the most welcoming place I have ever worked.
Great coworkers
Pharmacy (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 21, 2012
Pharmacy management is below mediocre! Hard working technicians have been chased away and have been replaced with inexperienced techs. Too many supervisors who can't seem to make a schedule or handle call ins leaving it to the sick employee to find own coverage for shift!
Challenging and Rewarding
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 24, 2012
Pros: great views of the ut campus
Cons: nursing staff shortage
I work with an excellent team of Nurses and an awesome team of physicians and nurse practitioners.
Low pay, mediocre benefits, lots of chiefs
ultrasound (Current Employee), HHASeptember 24, 2012
Pros: m-f 8-5
Cons: pay, management, no advancement/recognition for a job well done
Its a job. Pay is very low compared to national and state averages. Lot of management, and still cant seem to get job done. hiring a lot of nonexperienced people because thats all they can attract with the low pay. Love my patients!
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: great culture of people to work with
I love working for St.David's but the economy has effected my position.
Great before the takeover
manager (Current Employee), austinSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: its a job
Cons: delivering progressively worse patient care everyday
Hospital care-givers - great

Hospital providers - great

Administration - poor

About 70% of employees are still here after the acquisition by HCA.

We have increased re-admissions for similar CPT codes. Increased dismissals due to funds running out.

We have become top heavy.
It's ok
Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 27, 2012
I wish they hadn't bought out our company... The benefits are not very good for being such a huge corpoartion
Bad management
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 24, 2012
Pros: credit in the cafeteria for parking offsite, management supportive of professional staff, quarterly status meetings, employee appreciation lunch
Cons: very low pay, hours and benefits cut, combative manager, no assistance from human resources, shared computer often unavailable, noisy work area for concentration
I started out working 32 hours and was often able to pick up an additional 8 hours in a different department. My manager seemed very unaware of the job duties and sent me to other people for training. It was a struggle to keep up with all of the billing, coding, and accounting for the department while also registering new employees, a process that took – more... an hour, then calling new potential patients and their doctors to obtain their medical records, and acting as a receptionist in a busy office.

Then the hospital began cutting back hours. The cutbacks were announced right after a huge catered anniversary party for all the employees with free BBQ, Amy's ice cream and our own St. David's camping chair. It was also right after I'd selected a new accounting system to be implemented, which meant I had to manually re-enter all of our hundreds of clients' information and correct years of errors. I asked for additional hours to work on setting this up and was instead given assistance from other staff members but then was berated for needing help from someone else to complete my job. I was also critiqued - on my reviews - for things like elderly clients not being able to find our office in the maze of the hospital, not having a thorough clinical understanding of the rehab process (I asked to observe but was unable), supplies ordered through a system that lacked details not being the correct supplies, and my lack of a "confident demeanor."

I have never worked so hard and steadfastly to only be criticized for anything that was not perfect. My supervisor frequently dug through my work after I left, looking for mistakes to document. It was the most toxic work environment, which I had nightmares about even after I'd moved on. Most of the problems were with my supervisor, but HR did nothing to intervene even when asked to attend my reviews. I created statistical reports for my manager every month which showed a constant increase (a perfect trend line!) in number of continuing patients in addition to new patients admitted (which I recruited), but this also was not helpful in proving that I'd been working hard. I was actually frequently criticized that I was doing a bad job recruiting.

I had been working in another department and those managers were happy with my work but this was unhelpful when my main manager set me on a "work improvement" path. The "work improvement" plan was inadequate because as I sought out ways to improve, become more efficient and learn systems (I had three software programs change in the 10 months I was there), I was quickly running out of time and the improvement I was required to show in order to not be fired was too great. I really wanted to stay and was highly motivated because my office had community programs that I was excited to help with once I'd reached a level of efficiency. I even started working off the clock to try to achieve more. So disappointing. – less
Productive and a Fun Place
PRN (Current Employee), MainMay 16, 2012
Pros: great city to work in
Cons: can get a bit overwhelming
Management is very understanding but firm Patients are always first Priority. I had the
opportunity to work there for many years as a
MRI Technologist my only reason for leaving was
the Commute from San Antonio. St. Davids Medical Center/Main is a Great Place to work and Grow.