St. David's Medical Center

St. David's Medical Center Employee Reviews

Patient Accounts Adjuster/Cashier II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 22, 2017
St.David's was a wonderful place to work. The hours aligned with what I needed to balance work and life. The management was knowledgeable and balanced. My coworkers were easy to work with.
Pros
excellent healthcare benefits
Don't expect support from management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 30, 2016
I was recruited to my position at St. David's based on my reputation and awards received for my work at another area hospital. It was a good experience at first, but intra-department drama, cliques, gossip, and singling out employees for bullying are not uncommon here. If you ask for help from supervisors or HR, you will be criticized and punished for bothering them. Department management seems to be in constant turf-wars with other departments. Management is more concerned with avoiding problems affecting patient care than they are with dealing with them. Go along to get along is the unofficial policy at St. Davids, even if it means patients suffer. Don't speak up, whatever you do. Pay is lower than other hospitals in area and there is zero opportunity for advancement or transfer to other departments. I don't think all departments are like this, and clearly some of the staff is really great and try hard to make it a good place, but they are few and far between.
Pros
Nice facilities, a few really great people
Cons
Cliques, bullying, lack of professional support, no room to grow, low pay
Nice volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 21, 2016
It's a nice volunteer experience. The nurses are nice. The shifts aren't too long. There is free lunch/meal with every shift and the food is really delicious.
Fair rating
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 24, 2016
I enjoyed working with the other nurses. I seen people get fired or drove to quit because they didn't "fit in" with others though. It was rare to get a full lunch or a break during your shift.
Pros
Most co-workers are easy to get along with
Cons
Health insurance is expensive and deductibles are high, pay raises are low, staff to patient ratio is usually unsafe, hard to take lunch and breaks, many charge nurses are not helpful
great atmosphere and support from upper management
Registered Nurse (RN) (IMC) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2016
great place to get your shoes wet, heavy workload. Was very reluctant to provide opportunities to transfer units in order to acquire knowledge and experience with a more critical patient population.
Very Busy
Imaging Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2016
St. Davids is a great place to work. The partnership offers several ladders for advancement and incentives to further your education. St. Davids is very proactive about promoting from within.
great hospital!
BSN, RN (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2016
I loved working here! The culture of this hospital was awesome and very well run. I hated to leave this job and only did because my husbands job relocated. Highly recommend this company.
Difficult to move-up
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2016
Co-workers are respectful
Hard to move up
Low salary and benefits
Working from home is frowned upon
Have to work some weekends
highly recomended
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2016
St. David's Medical Center is the ideal place to work for. They truly cared about their employees and maintained the highest level of professional. I felt like I mattered.
Really Enjoyed Working There
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 8, 2016
I really enjoyed working at St. David's Medical Center. There is a great working culture. The director of the department always insured we were taken care of and asked if we needed anything. We had meeting with the director from time to time to keep us all in the loop. The department had very little supervision, so the meetings were great. We were tight staffed and there were times when overtime was required to cover shifts. I would have never left if I didn't move away. My department even threw me a going away party when I was leaving. We still keep in touch. Great people.
Pros
Wonderful environment, great people
Cons
Tight staffed

Want to know more about St. David's Medical Center?

Ask a question
Hospital Life isn't so bad
Evs (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Under the supervision of the Director, acquired all materials, equipment, and supplies.
Stocked and restocked linen throughout twelve departments.
Maintained current inventory records for materials and supplies.
Within approved criteria, made open market purchases of special items of a general procurement nature and items to fulfill emergency requirements.
Provided superb customer service with patients, nurses, doctors, vendors, and guests.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No professional growth
I love my patients and the people I get to work with
rn nurse (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 23, 2015
IMC is a 12 bed stepdown unit. Our patient to nurse ratio is 3-1. There are days when it can be 4-1. Our patients are all on telemetry and need a lot of care. We have no PCT so it is total patient care. From medication management, watching labs, wound care, blood transfusions to giving daily baths, we do it all! I love the people I get to work with as a team everyday and really value that we help eachother out as much as we do.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Can be short staffed
Overworked with little recognition
pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2015
I dont envy anyone working for St David's, maybe the ICU nurses, but working in the pharmacy was a joke. The management was very new and had unrealistic expectations or would rely on me to do all the work but take all of the credit. you'd get, "talked to," about not clocking out for a break when in reality you never got a break. Just not a good place to work for if you don't like being taken advantage of and overworked.
Cons
short breaks, terrible management
Great hospital but little nursing autonomy
Registerd Nurse (Former Employee) –  austin, txSeptember 23, 2015
Micromanaged to a T. Every aspect of your day is scripted. There is a great culture there, but the management is tough. Pay is not competitive.
Great overall work related experience
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 2, 2015
Working for St. David's was a true pleasure during my tenure with the organization. I learned so much from the very knowledgeable Pharmacists and Technicians that were very eager to share their information so willingly.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough vacation time
Registrar in emergency room (Former Employee) –  austin txAugust 25, 2015
Horrible management here at the Main location which is why they are always hiring and firing.
They take advantage of you and will overwork you and not even care.
Only do what benefits them and that is it.
Positive, friendly environment
Patient Care Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2015
I enjoyed working on the neurology unit. Coworkers and supervisors were friendly. The hardest part of the job was driving into Austin because I live in Lockhart.
Horrible place to work DONT WORK HERE
Patient Care Tech II (Former Employee) –  Austin TXAugust 1, 2015
They retaliate against you for doing the right thing don't work here to many bad things to list but they work you like a dog and don't give proper breaks as they should but they take out your check for them
Pros
Cons
Everything low pay hard work they try to push you to the limit, they don't care about you
Great Place to Work
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2015
Everyone loves working here! People are always nice and helpful. Multitasking and having astute attention to detail is important. Management is usually understanding and willing to work with you. You must be punctual to work here. Time clock is a drag, but free ice cream for employees on payday. Cafeteria could be a little better, but not bad overall. Responsibility is important here. People that call in aren't liked very well and usually get pressured to quit.
Great place to work, friendly.
NICU Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 17, 2015
I was "green" when I got hired at St. Davids in NICU. I am thankful they gave me the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of preemie care. SDMC will always be my "home". I will miss it dearly.
Management is awesome. Especially because they were bedside nurses right along side of us years ago and I think that makes a great team.
Co-workers are friendly, willing to help you anytime. I will miss my peers the most.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to sit and help a preemie learn to take a bottle! Babies are amazing!
The doctors and NNP's are also very respectful and friendly and trust the nurses. I never had an issue with a doctor in the 10yrs I worked there.
Pros
Friendly staff, management willing to work with you
Cons
Salary :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. David's Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8