St. David's Medical Center

St. David's Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Really Enjoyed Working There
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 8, 2016
I really enjoyed working at St. David's Medical Center. There is a great working culture. The director of the department always insured we were taken care of and asked if we needed anything. We had meeting with the director from time to time to keep us all in the loop. The department had very little supervision, so the meetings were great. We were tight staffed and there were times when overtime was required to cover shifts. I would have never left if I didn't move away. My department even threw me a going away party when I was leaving. We still keep in touch. Great people.
Pros
Wonderful environment, great people
Cons
Tight staffed
Hospital Life isn't so bad
Evs (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Under the supervision of the Director, acquired all materials, equipment, and supplies.
Stocked and restocked linen throughout twelve departments.
Maintained current inventory records for materials and supplies.
Within approved criteria, made open market purchases of special items of a general procurement nature and items to fulfill emergency requirements.
Provided superb customer service with patients, nurses, doctors, vendors, and guests.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No professional growth
I love my patients and the people I get to work with
rn nurse (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 23, 2015
IMC is a 12 bed stepdown unit. Our patient to nurse ratio is 3-1. There are days when it can be 4-1. Our patients are all on telemetry and need a lot of care. We have no PCT so it is total patient care. From medication management, watching labs, wound care, blood transfusions to giving daily baths, we do it all! I love the people I get to work with as a team everyday and really value that we help eachother out as much as we do.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Can be short staffed
Overworked with little recognition
pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2015
I dont envy anyone working for St David's, maybe the ICU nurses, but working in the pharmacy was a joke. The management was very new and had unrealistic expectations or would rely on me to do all the work but take all of the credit. you'd get, "talked to," about not clocking out for a break when in reality you never got a break. Just not a good place to work for if you don't like being taken advantage of and overworked.
Cons
short breaks, terrible management
Great hospital but little nursing autonomy
Registerd Nurse (Former Employee) –  austin, txSeptember 23, 2015
Micromanaged to a T. Every aspect of your day is scripted. There is a great culture there, but the management is tough. Pay is not competitive.
Great overall work related experience
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 2, 2015
Working for St. David's was a true pleasure during my tenure with the organization. I learned so much from the very knowledgeable Pharmacists and Technicians that were very eager to share their information so willingly.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough vacation time
Registrar in emergency room (Former Employee) –  austin txAugust 25, 2015
Horrible management here at the Main location which is why they are always hiring and firing.
They take advantage of you and will overwork you and not even care.
Only do what benefits them and that is it.
Positive, friendly environment
Patient Care Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2015
I enjoyed working on the neurology unit. Coworkers and supervisors were friendly. The hardest part of the job was driving into Austin because I live in Lockhart.
Horrible place to work DONT WORK HERE
Patient Care Tech II (Former Employee) –  Austin TXAugust 1, 2015
They retaliate against you for doing the right thing don't work here to many bad things to list but they work you like a dog and don't give proper breaks as they should but they take out your check for them
Pros
Cons
Everything low pay hard work they try to push you to the limit, they don't care about you
Great Place to Work
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2015
Everyone loves working here! People are always nice and helpful. Multitasking and having astute attention to detail is important. Management is usually understanding and willing to work with you. You must be punctual to work here. Time clock is a drag, but free ice cream for employees on payday. Cafeteria could be a little better, but not bad overall. Responsibility is important here. People that call in aren't liked very well and usually get pressured to quit.

Want to know more about St. David's Medical Center?

Ask a question
Great place to work, friendly.
NICU Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 17, 2015
I was "green" when I got hired at St. Davids in NICU. I am thankful they gave me the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of preemie care. SDMC will always be my "home". I will miss it dearly.
Management is awesome. Especially because they were bedside nurses right along side of us years ago and I think that makes a great team.
Co-workers are friendly, willing to help you anytime. I will miss my peers the most.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to sit and help a preemie learn to take a bottle! Babies are amazing!
The doctors and NNP's are also very respectful and friendly and trust the nurses. I never had an issue with a doctor in the 10yrs I worked there.
Pros
Friendly staff, management willing to work with you
Cons
Salary :(
Rehabilitation to those in need
Rehab Tech, I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 30, 2014
Played a part in the rehabilitation process of patients going through an unexpected change in their lives and their families lives.
Horrible and unorganized management
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Austin TX St Davids MainNovember 27, 2014
The managers are unorganized, and do not care for their employees. They were constantly understaffed, and the work load was tremendous and stressful. HR for parallon does nothing when there are problems with management. Hardly ever got lunch breaks. Even when I was pregnant.
Pros
co-workers were amazing.
Cons
no breaks. lunch breaks rare. horrible management. low compensation compared to other hospitals.
i was a traveler
Registered Nurse Telemetry Traveler (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2014
they were not very nice to travelers back in the day. I'm sure it's better now.
not so great
Receptionist/Registrar (Former Employee) –  austin texasNovember 19, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Respected place to work
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for adult patients. I typically work as a critical care RRT and enjoy working with the nursing staff and Critical Care physicians.
Pros
self-scheduling
Exccellent work environment
PRN Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2014
St. David's is consistently rated among the top 100 hospitals in the nation, and there is a reason for that. Attention to detail and quality of care is a must. That can add stress to the job, but because everyone works together to successfully administer that excellent care, the work is not overwhelming.

The only drawback to working here is that the hospital was often under-staffed, which made for a heavy workload at times. That situation was much better here than in other places, however.
Great Place to experience
Patient Care Technician Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Austin,TXJanuary 27, 2014
St. Davids provides a diverse health care atmosphere with many incentives to continue education within a specified role needed for fulfillment.
Bullying, Lying all normal in the culture
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 17, 2013
I have never seen more favoritism, lying, unprofessionalism anywhere else like I saw at St. David's Medical center. I saw things that routinely put patients in danger, and when I reported it, I started getting written up for complete lies. DO NOT WORK THERE.
Pros
there are some really great people too
Cons
read the review...too many to mention. fire management.
The ER craziness
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2013
Working at the hospital was a different experience but it was a lot of fun.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
stress level