St. Elizabeth Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Highly demanding and rewarding opportunities in the field of nursing provided
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYMay 21, 2015
Top ranked hospital which afforded wonderful learning experiences especially in the care of cardiac patients and their related illnesses. I learned to become proficient at developing patient care plans, including assessments, evaluations, nursing
diagnoses, and educating patients and families about safe use of cardiac drugs.
Initiated and implemented care and evaluating health care needs for patients suffering from genetic malformations, myocardial infarcts, and vascular diseases. Assisted with instructing patients and family members on proper discharge and follow-up care, providing emotional support to patients and families faced with cardiovascular diagnosis. Provide patient/family education on topics including basic nutrition, care needs and pain management. Worked with highly skilled and highly motivated team of professionals.
Pros
Excellent learning opportunities, good financial compensation, encouraged seeking new learning experiences.
Cons
Often missed breaks, increasing work loads with increasing more complex healthcare needs of patients.
Productive and fun workplace
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MANovember 30, 2015
Float to 4 medical surgical and telemetry floors. High intensity, fast paced work environment. Great co-workers. Good management.
Professional workplace
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 21, 2015
Worked many years for different supervisors, and was treated fairly by all. Co-workers were, by and large, great to work for.

Hardest part as working long hours to accomplish all my tasks, including remoting in from home.
High Expectations/Limited Support
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, KYNovember 23, 2014
Poor pay and benefits. Constant push to do more with no pay or advancement incentive. Management is inconsistent. Focus is on numbers and not individuals. Work harder each year with new guidelines and criteria. Chose to get an advanced degree and move on.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
all other aspects
A stepping stone for most
Logistics, Transporter (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, KYApril 2, 2014
St. Elizabeth Edgewood is the largest location of all its campuses, housing a number of different departments that create a busy and diverse work culture. A typical day as a Transporter includes moving patients to and from various test sites like X-Ray, Cat Scan, and Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Every day has a degree of predictability, but new challenges present themselves daily. Management and co-workers work as cohesively as possible to ensure patient safety and to enhance the patient experience. Challenges faced in my position are comforting scared, nervous, annoyed, or anxious patients; often they are ill and dealing with intense health issues that go beyond what I can offer. On the flip side, one of the most enjoyable parts of my position is interacting with the patients and various individuals from other departments; every encounter is an opportunity for learning and growth.
Pros
free excerise
Cons
there's a possibilty you may get sick.
Worked with nice and helpful co-workers
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Office was very organized and well maintained by Office Manager. Enjoyed assisting the patients by scheduling appointments, collecting co-payments, etc.
Pros
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
Part time position
Great Friendly Environment
SPD Technician (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYJanuary 22, 2013
A typical day consists of transporting patient to various locations within the hospital in a kind and caring fashion. As well as checking the various equipment rooms for stocked supplies and cleanliness. I learned a lot about culture differences that I hadn't considered before, and the managment was helpful and consistent. The only difficulty I had while employed was the more challenging anatomy of the hospital. The carpeting in various locations and steep ramp leading to an external building were the only tasks I did not look forward too. However the essence of the job, transporting the patients, makes it worth while. It was a joy meeting new people everyday and helping them feel more at home while in the hospital. It was a great experience and a made some great friends in the staff.
Loved working for St. Elizabeth Medical Cventer
Human Resources/Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 10, 2014
Great place to work! Loved the environment and my co workers! Enjoyed my job and the people there. Work and personal life balance was good. Unfortunetly there was a merger and positions were cut
Pros
great environment
Cons
merger took away job security
We conducted luncheons and had holiday celebration at a branc level.
Team Director for Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 1, 2012
I had 24 hour responsibilities at my job but occasionally visited the operation in the pm as most of my duties were performed in the am.I had full control of every aspect of the business as my bosses were based on the west coast.I learned how to manage an operation on my own from a-z. I was guided by my budget that I prepared and was accepted by corporate on the west coast.I had 13 managers and 125 employees reporting to meand was responsible for their training through my management team. The hardest part of my job was to please our customers who thought that prices were too high for product in a captive market. They did not understand the high costs associated with having a captive audience. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the company would let me operate and manage the facility on my own and turn in the on budget numbers every month.
Pros
it was a prestigeous type of job with lots of pressures.
Cons
the constant movement of executives in and out.
Transported food trys to patients
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYNovember 6, 2012
I would mainly work the dinner shift where I would prepared and load dinner trys for hospital patients. Then I would move and transport dinner carts to all areas of the hospitol
I learned time management skills and being able to work fast.
Management: Nutritionists, Nutritionist Managers, Cooks
Co-Workers: Nutrition Assistants
Hardest part was walking fast enough to serve everyone on a timely manner
The most enjoyable part was walking to every part of the hospital and watch professional health enthusist do there job.
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
very fast passed
First RN job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYFebruary 3, 2014
I worked the 7p-7a shift. It was a very busy unit, 5 or 6 patients to an RN. Time Management and general nursing were my biggest achievement from this hospital. My co-workers worked great together, true team players.Management did the best they could with the resources they had to keep their staff happy. I felt that the hardest part of the job was to give the best patient care, which they deserved. I thoroughy enjoyed the conversations with the patients, and the appreciation they showed for the care they received.
It is a great place to begin your career and learn from very knowledgable people
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, KyOctober 16, 2013
I currently work in a molecular department. I work about half the time by my self and half the time with a co-worker. I have learned how to multi-task many different tests, prioritize my tasks and time management. I have get along with all my coworkers and my supervisor has been extremely supportive in helping me develop some new skills that are required in a molecular lab that may not be necessary in the general lab.
Needed better management.
Registered Nurse Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edgewood KYDecember 1, 2014
Could use more structured management. Management doesn't do the same with every employee/staff member and some of the inconsistencies are very obvious. This causes animosity between staff members. I spent more than 29 years working for this place so I am grateful for everything I have learned which is immeasurable. Not all co-workers were to my standards which was brought up to management and some things never changed, therefore I really think stronger, more consistent management would work better with so many staff members. The hardest part of the job is to work short staffed but they don't change our work load and still give us more patients when we don't have the staff to appropriately care for them. This makes for dangerous situations even though management continues to expect the highest quality of care. Management will let you know if your work wasn't "A+" regardless of the staffing situation. By far the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the patients/families and seeing them get better. Having a patient recognize you for doing the best job you can do is rewarding.
Pros
had a good work schedule
Cons
they keep giving more and more to do but never get more staff, always say the staffing grid is going to get better but it never does, only getting 1 40 min break in a 12 hr shift because not feasible to take break early part of shift, and not getting proper support from management
St. Elizabeth worked well with me and my needs
Float RN (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Would go to the clinic needed coverage, geriatric, pediatric, oncology, women's health , and general practice. This experience gave me a broad base knowledge in many areas of nursing. The hardest was the not knowing, the type of clients and physicians would be working with. Most enjoyable , meeting new people daily.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
driving own vehical
Productive and positive work environment
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 1, 2015
Productive and positive work environment with potential to learn new things. Presented with everyday challenges and a broad focus on human services.
Fast paced, and productive work place.
Secretary 2/Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 23, 2012
My job consist of front office duties in an outpatient department. I registered new patients that come in, and updated information when needed. Helped answer 7 phone lines to different areas of the hospital. Filed when needed, checked off charges from the previous day, and also entered charges of the patients seen that day. I was in charge of 14 therapy attendants, plus my own work load. My co-workers were the best and so easy to get along with! The hardest part of my job was my drive to and from work. Nothing at work was hard. I loved my job there and was there for 8 years. I only left to be a stay at home mother to my twins.
Pros
free lunch hour, doing the work i love to do, interacting with different people.
Cons
the only con is that it took me an hour and a half to get to work!
Good people doing their best to provide good healthcare
Systems Analyst for the Behavioral Health Unit (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 22, 2014
Excellent conditions for some while other departments were crowded into tiny offices.

I learned how to access an SQL based database and write command structures to generate reports.

The most difficult part was doing the budget and being directed to remove experienced people to meet health insurance payment cuts.

Good people with excellent ethics.
Pros
working closely with caregivers
Cons
extreme budget cuts to every associate except doctors.
Merger transition
Unit Dose Medication Packager (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 4, 2014
Down scaling
Pay lower than average
restructuring work environment
many new management changes
Most enjoyable part of the job
Family Medicine Resident (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Patient care! We have such a diverse population which more often than not requires looking at typical symptomatic presentation in a new light. I love the challenge!
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
residency hours
fun work place
Assistant supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2012
supervising staff and interacting with patients and healthcare professionals, i learned to lead by example. i enjoyed going to work everyday
Pros
excellent benefits for employees
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Elizabeth Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.