St. Elizabeth Medical Center Employee Reviews

Professional workplace
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 21, 2015
Worked many years for different supervisors, and was treated fairly by all. Co-workers were, by and large, great to work for.

Hardest part as working long hours to accomplish all my tasks, including remoting in from home.
Worked with nice and helpful co-workers
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Office was very organized and well maintained by Office Manager. Enjoyed assisting the patients by scheduling appointments, collecting co-payments, etc.
Pros
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
Part time position
Highly demanding and rewarding opportunities in the field of nursing provided
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYMay 21, 2015
Top ranked hospital which afforded wonderful learning experiences especially in the care of cardiac patients and their related illnesses. I learned to become proficient at developing patient care plans, including assessments, evaluations, nursing
diagnoses, and educating patients and families about safe use of cardiac drugs.
Initiated and implemented care and evaluating health care needs for patients suffering from genetic malformations, myocardial infarcts, and vascular diseases. Assisted with instructing patients and family members on proper discharge and follow-up care, providing emotional support to patients and families faced with cardiovascular diagnosis. Provide patient/family education on topics including basic nutrition, care needs and pain management. Worked with highly skilled and highly motivated team of professionals.
Pros
Excellent learning opportunities, good financial compensation, encouraged seeking new learning experiences.
Cons
Often missed breaks, increasing work loads with increasing more complex healthcare needs of patients.
Productive and positive work environment
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 1, 2015
Productive and positive work environment with potential to learn new things. Presented with everyday challenges and a broad focus on human services.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Family Medicine Resident (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Patient care! We have such a diverse population which more often than not requires looking at typical symptomatic presentation in a new light. I love the challenge!
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
residency hours
Caring for children
Staff Physician (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYFebruary 6, 2015
Caring for children and families of children at this institution was very rewarding. Much experience is to be gained at such an institution.
Loved working for St. Elizabeth Medical Cventer
Human Resources/Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 10, 2014
Great place to work! Loved the environment and my co workers! Enjoyed my job and the people there. Work and personal life balance was good. Unfortunetly there was a merger and positions were cut
Pros
great environment
Cons
merger took away job security
Needed better management.
Registered Nurse Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edgewood KYDecember 1, 2014
Could use more structured management. Management doesn't do the same with every employee/staff member and some of the inconsistencies are very obvious. This causes animosity between staff members. I spent more than 29 years working for this place so I am grateful for everything I have learned which is immeasurable. Not all co-workers were to my standards which was brought up to management and some things never changed, therefore I really think stronger, more consistent management would work better with so many staff members. The hardest part of the job is to work short staffed but they don't change our work load and still give us more patients when we don't have the staff to appropriately care for them. This makes for dangerous situations even though management continues to expect the highest quality of care. Management will let you know if your work wasn't "A+" regardless of the staffing situation. By far the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the patients/families and seeing them get better. Having a patient recognize you for doing the best job you can do is rewarding.
Pros
had a good work schedule
Cons
they keep giving more and more to do but never get more staff, always say the staffing grid is going to get better but it never does, only getting 1 40 min break in a 12 hr shift because not feasible to take break early part of shift, and not getting proper support from management
High Expectations/Limited Support
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, KYNovember 23, 2014
Poor pay and benefits. Constant push to do more with no pay or advancement incentive. Management is inconsistent. Focus is on numbers and not individuals. Work harder each year with new guidelines and criteria. Chose to get an advanced degree and move on.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
all other aspects
Very productive place for me to work
Health Information Practicum (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 16, 2014
Managing was the best part of the job. I had a good working relationship with a majority of my crew and other managers. We had really good team work skills here.
Pros
fun work enviornment
Cons
very short breaks
very fast paced, multi task
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYOctober 20, 2014
the morning started out with a morning stack of at least 30 sticks and then after that was followed up with other routine draws throughout the day, timed-study draws, and stats. These patients varied from newborns to geriatrics. I never really thought any part of the job was difficult and I was continuously learning new things everyday.
Excellent Workplace
nursing student (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 16, 2014
St. Elizabeth Medical Center was a great place to complete my training as a student nurse. St. Elizabeth Medical Center always had great nurses to help out and teach.
Pros
friendly nurses/teachers
Cons
not every healthcare wprker followed the sanitary rules
Merger transition
Unit Dose Medication Packager (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 4, 2014
Down scaling
Pay lower than average
restructuring work environment
many new management changes
Good people doing their best to provide good healthcare
Systems Analyst for the Behavioral Health Unit (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 22, 2014
Excellent conditions for some while other departments were crowded into tiny offices.

I learned how to access an SQL based database and write command structures to generate reports.

The most difficult part was doing the budget and being directed to remove experienced people to meet health insurance payment cuts.

Good people with excellent ethics.
Pros
working closely with caregivers
Cons
extreme budget cuts to every associate except doctors.
retired from semc, retired what more do you need, think about that
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYSeptember 8, 2014
great to work for, just dont grow old. that is all i have to say
Not enough hours
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 23, 2014
Management was not organized at the time I worked in the Home Health Department.
Nurse Tech
Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 10, 2014
A great hospital , the staff is super nice and friendly and everybody is helpful
Enjoyed the people and the work
Charge Person for Patent Registration ER (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 13, 2014
Enjoyed going to work alot of good people and always something different
Pros
good people
Cons
needed updated equipment
I love the people I work with. It can be very rewarding.
Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 14, 2014
Working in healthcare can be very challenging, yet very rewarding at the same time. I learned going in with a smile and a hello can put a lot of patients at ease. I learned how to manage my time efficiently with getting A.M. care done in the morning because in healthcare no two days are ever the same. My co-workers are the greatest. The hardest part of the job can be the stress level, but the most enjoyable part of the job is you truly make a difference in people's lives.
Pros
free company handbags, water bottles, occasional free lunch
Internship
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 18, 2014
A decent go-at-your-own-pace internship with very knowledgeable and polite CFO and his assistants.
Pros
good staff to work with!
Cons
not much hands on experience.