St. Helena Hospital Employee Reviews

it's ok
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAApril 24, 2017
A lot of nice people, but not the best pay. It has beautiful scenery, but can be a commute if you do not live by. I learned a lot from my preceptors and it was a good learning experience.
Not the place to work if you want a life and stable environment
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CAApril 22, 2017
CEO dishonest with little regard for HIPPA or ethics if it gets in the way of bringing in $$. Other "top"Administrative staff only concerned with their $$ and entitlement, as are most of the doctors. Good management and staff turnover is high: good managers who are concerned about their employees, working conditions, safety and ethics last a few months. Bad managers last forever and then get promoted. Most employees care about their work, but backstabbing is widespread as is nepotism and unethical practices, which are supposed to be against hospital policy, but the entitled, good ol' boys rule this loser hospital that is considered to be the worst entity in the Adventist Healthcare system; it is an honor earned.The pay is actually below low income standards for the area, while system CEOs, CFOs, VPs are big on touting the raises they give employees; like 3 or 4 cents an hour every few years. Stay away.
Pros
Pretty surrounding area.
Cons
Pay, management, work environment, no paid time off
Fast paced and stressful
Admissions Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAApril 22, 2017
Sometimes it could be a little clique-ish. They are a Seventh Day Adventist Hospital and tend to stick to their own even though they hire outside of the Church as well as inside. At first, I felt like an outsider until I got to know people better and worked there or a while. I grew close to the staff and really missed them when I left. It is a learning hospital and I learned a lot about the profession that I wanted to go into because the staff knew I was going to school they took the time to explain things to me. The hardest part was keeping up with the fast paced environment and trying to cater to several people at one time. The most ejoyable part was being part of a team that thrived on giving excellent care.
Pros
Team environment, fast paced, variable experiences
Cons
Being the new person when most of them know each other from outside the hospital.
Enjoy working at St Helena Hospital
Contract Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Lucerne, CAMarch 22, 2017
Great working schedule (4 days with a 10 hour shift). They flexible schedule. Excellent healthcare insurance. They value their employee like a family.
Awesome place to work with lots of opportunities
Management (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CAMarch 9, 2017
I have worked here for over 10 years and don't regret it one bit. If you want an opportunity to grow and challenge yourself this is the place! I have had opportunities here I never would have had working somewhere else. I have referred many people over the years to work here and all of them love working here and don't regret it!
Pros
Great Benefits, Great work environment, Gym Access
Cons
Parking, Cafeteria
Great mission, awesome people to work with
Director (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CAMarch 8, 2017
St. Helena Hospital Napa Valley is a great place to work, coworkers are very compassionate, senior leadership is very good and just "gets it". Best of all, quality patient care is the first priority.
Pros
Beautiful location, lots of unique services available
Great environment to work.
Unit Assistant/ Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Such a great place to work, everyone is so friendly. I enjoy working here. The staff are so helpful and always see smiling faces, they go above and beyond to help out.
Not a good place to work
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CADecember 31, 2016
The place cares more about their money than the patients or employees.
Lots of politics, make very poor financial decesions which affect the employees and their families, for example they laid 250 people off and two months later we all recieved raises. The pay is about 9-10 $ less than other hospitals in the area.
They bend rules and break laws that are there to protect employees rights.
Pros
nice co workers family enviroment
Cons
management, pay, unfair, dont care or protect their employees
High pressure intense work environnent
Clinical Operations Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CADecember 29, 2016
I love the people I work with and the family environment. Many opportunities are given for us to learn additional jobs but no real room for promotion.
Pros
The admissions dept. team are wonderful
Cons
low pay by comparison to other facilities and health benefits are expensive.
Med sw
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Per DiemDecember 19, 2016
I enjoyed this position. Low pay. There were lots of people coming in and out. The rest of staff didn't really understand what a social worker does.
Pros
ever changing job
Cons
pay
quite happy despite staffing shortages
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAOctober 24, 2016
Overall, I am quite happy at St. Helena Hospital. I enjoy the staff that works there. The unit itself could use some updating however I do not feel that is a big problem.
Overall - employees are great people; retention of personnel - lacking.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAOctober 9, 2016
The personnel/staff - great team; hospital employees - great people to work around. The willingness to let you learn was much appreciated.
Nice people to work with
Psych RN (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAJune 12, 2016
Outside company hired to open new unit which was a disaster. They did not know what they were doing which caused many safety issues.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management doesn't understand safety standards
Friendly co-workers. Efficient customer service. Fast Paced Environment
Patient Concierge (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAJanuary 29, 2016
This company does a great job at serving it's patients with a friendly and positive disposition. Though there is little room for advancement and a disconnect between co-workers, it is a great environment to hit the ground running. You are able to put many different skills into practice. I came into work everyday knowing that I am in charge of myself. I knew what needed to be done an was given the freedom to complete it in any way I felt was most effective.
Pros
Friendly environment, challenging work
Cons
Mangement, compensation
Small dept. a lot of drama.
Sterile processing technician (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Mediocre department management. Supervisor vanity is all important, the more you praise,the better your treated. Women are second class citizens and usually looked down on.Large turn over of staff in 2015.
Pros
Beautiful location, non management workers friendly.
Cons
Long commute. Poor middle management.
A great facility to learn about CABG, PCI, and shunts.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CADecember 22, 2015
THe employees had their own job which made it convienent to exercise on breaks. Also it was a great teaching hospital. It was difficult with a low salary because I lived in Napa and my rent kept going up but my salary did not. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting different people and making a positive difference in their life.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Low salary
Good hospital and friendly people
Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAOctober 6, 2015
This hospital is a rural hospital with a lot of wonderful people and in a beautiful setting. I have had to make a move and now looking for a new position closer to home. I work at a part time position but I am looking for a full time position. The most enjoyable part of my job are the patients and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is not being full time to get all the task I need to get done in a day but doing my best to prioritize each day, all through the day! I truly enjoy being an RN and give my best to the co-workers and my patients.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Part time
Very standard
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  St Helena CaSeptember 25, 2015
Work was standard had a small team. Scheduling was not consistent. Did not like the drama in the work place. Learn from my coworkers. Enjoyed working independantly. When management was there they were good.
Pros
Was a job
Cons
too small with much drama
Friendly place - but bring your own "culture"
Fitness Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Helena Hospital Center for HealthSeptember 4, 2015
I saw how my work as a personal trainer/coach could work well as part of a medically based clinical team. They were great and I loved meeting my fellow employees and answering their fitness questions.
Pros
Worked with a great team and staff
Cons
Budgets and management turn-overs wrought havoc on morale
This was a great experience!
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAAugust 9, 2015
• I was involved in a volunteer program under the direction of the hospital President Terry Newmyer. As the assistant to the hospital Chaplain, I was a group leader for the Recovery Center 12-Steps program, presented devotionals to the employees in morning chapel worship, and participated in Sabbath School and church service for patients and employees.
• I also volunteered in the Radiology Department assisting with ultrasounds.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Helena Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.