St. Helena Hospital

St. Helena Hospital Employee Reviews

Thee Best Hospital, I have ever worked for
CNA/TCU (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, CAAugust 13, 2012
I would start my day by getting report and doing rounds, taking vital signs. I have worked in many different hospitals in California, this is the best, the most serene atmosphere, and the staff is great to work for, no matter what department. I remember the first day working there, management and co-workers, thanked me for coming to work there and if there was anything that they could do to make me feel more welcome, which I just was in shock, since I got a pay raise and they had state of the art equipment, which made my job easier, and I had less patients, I felt I should be thanking them. The hardest part is getting attached, and watching them fly the coup, but the most enjoyable part was knowing they were leaving because they were better in health.
Pros
i think the adventist health care system, believes in treating the whole person, not just the injury or disease, and i learned to eat more healthy, since they have non meat products, and healthy fooods, also can swipe id badge, to have meal deducted from paycheck
Cons
i only have one, they don't utilize lvn's within the hospital, and i would do anything to go back there to work
Wonderful place to work with free gym membership!!
Executive Assistant to Chief Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAMarch 6, 2013
I loved working at St. Helena Hospital! The people are amazing to work with. It became like a family to me. I loved each and every employee that I worked with. It was a joy to go to work. I learned so very many things working in Administration and Nursing Administration. Each meeting started with prayer which set the tone of the meetings. The hardest part of the job was trying to handle multiple hospital needs besides St. Helena's. It was done with grace and I eventually was able to use a volunteer to help with some of the work load. What a gift!!
I think the most enjoyable part of my job was the wonderful people I worked with and came across every day. Each day I awakened to the wonderful thought of "I get to go to work today at St. Helena!" My job was cut back in 2011 otherwise I would still be there. My heart is still there with the people.
Pros
free lunches when we had hospital wide meetings. :)
Cons
very few breaks. no time to take one!!
Interesting work, kind co-workers, worked independently
Credentialing Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAJune 20, 2013
In my capacity as a payer credentialing associate it was my job to on-board our doctors and mid-levels with our contracted insurance companies, including governmental contracts. The hardest part of my job was trying to lock down the doctors for their signatures. Everything was time sensitive so it was imperative I get the documents filed by a certain date. My co-workers were very kind and supportive, but our positions were completely independent from each other. The best part of my job was being involved with, and getting to know all the different employees in our various practices. They were a great group of managers and support staff.
Pros
time flexibility, i.e. if i had a doctors appt i was allowed to make the time up by either staying late, or coming in eary.
Cons
lack of communication with departement heads, lots of turn over.
Awful, awful, horrible palce.
Clinical Lab Scientist (Former Employee) –  St HelenaMarch 21, 2014
Decent salary, 1st rate benefits but provincial, xenophobic, backstabbing coworkers who complain about everything and fear everyone who is new. Zero support from management, plan to fail. Northern CA hospitals seem to only want to continuously hire and fire in every department, and St Helena hospital is particularly bad. If you are white and a certain age and male.... Just don't go here. If you are young, female, Asian, and willing to accept abuse, this is just the place for you, especially if you are a member of the Adventist organization too.
Pros
none besides cerner lis/emr
Cons
poor training and competency, old equipment, horrible nasty dirty facility
If You Are Hoping For A Management Position, Be Warned
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  St Helena, CAJanuary 14, 2015
The culture and office politics of this place are like nothing I have ever seen. Backstabbing is routine, resistance to change is epic, The undermining of authority and drama of employees is incredible. They do pay well, but you will earn every cent and most likely spend a chunk of it on therapy after more than a couple months in this zoo. There is a core of people in the organization that cares about good clinical care, but most are concerned only with triumphing in their petty office political quarrels, at any cost.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
vicious internal culture & office politics.
Fun and creative mind looking for more than a Job
Perioperative Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CASeptember 22, 2014
I love to come to work and it did not feel like a job. At St. Helena I have learned that working in a place that changes lives is investing in the future. I love the management team that place people in positions to be successful. I love working with my coworkers because these take their job seriously but still know how to have fun. The hardest part of the job is the limited resources available to do your job. But St. Helena Hospital feels like a big family.
Pros
family feel, free lunches, employee recognition
Cons
lower paid than most hospitals in the area, heavy work load
Friendly co-workers. Efficient customer service. Fast Paced Environment
Patient Concierge (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAJanuary 29, 2016
This company does a great job at serving it's patients with a friendly and positive disposition. Though there is little room for advancement and a disconnect between co-workers, it is a great environment to hit the ground running. You are able to put many different skills into practice. I came into work everyday knowing that I am in charge of myself. I knew what needed to be done an was given the freedom to complete it in any way I felt was most effective.
Pros
Friendly environment, challenging work
Cons
Mangement, compensation
Good hospital and friendly people
Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAOctober 6, 2015
This hospital is a rural hospital with a lot of wonderful people and in a beautiful setting. I have had to make a move and now looking for a new position closer to home. I work at a part time position but I am looking for a full time position. The most enjoyable part of my job are the patients and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is not being full time to get all the task I need to get done in a day but doing my best to prioritize each day, all through the day! I truly enjoy being an RN and give my best to the co-workers and my patients.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Part time
A facility with improved technology to complete evaluations. Great place to work and grow professionally. Limited opportunities due to the per diem
Per Diem Acute Care Therapist (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, CAJanuary 29, 2014
8-4PM
Evaluations and write up 1 hour
Daily Treatments about 30 minutes
Learned how to produce an evaluation through hospital's record software.
Wonderful, supportive, co-workers
Most difficult aspect of the job was learning to navigate new software, and writing OT orders for physicians approval.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
not called in enough to work
Forward thinking organization that rewards hard work.
Certified Nurse's Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Helena, CaliforniaApril 18, 2012
I have worked for St. Helena Hospital for nearly two years. In that time the management has turned what used to be a rural outpost into a thriving destination hospital. Management at St. Helena Hospital is forward thinking and innovative. They take care of their staff who all work very hard.

St. Helena Hospital serves a mostly indigent population of Lake County. The staff provides non-judgmental thorough care in a calm and peaceful atmosphere. I am very proud to work there.

Comment – June 5, 2012

Non-judgemental? Hardly the case with this place. Hopefully they have taken care of the management problems that was affecting this hospital.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helena, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Extreme lack of diversity. Management is top heavy and not skilled they have a job title which some take is entitlement.
This is a major cause of confusion at it's best.
To perform your job, software issues are extremely prolonged which has caused a few employees to quit out of frustration.
Training is non existent and they are quick to place the blame on someone other than themselves.
Pros
free parking
Cons
the salary is a hair above proverty levels.
A great facility to learn about CABG, PCI, and shunts.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CADecember 22, 2015
THe employees had their own job which made it convienent to exercise on breaks. Also it was a great teaching hospital. It was difficult with a low salary because I lived in Napa and my rent kept going up but my salary did not. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting different people and making a positive difference in their life.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Low salary
A good hospital to work for
Clinical Services Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Helena CAJanuary 25, 2015
I enjoyed going to working everyday even though they were long busy days. The people I worked with were friendly and a great staff to lead. The main part I learned from my experience was how to navigate through the channels of command. Going from a private practice to a corp.hospital environment is a very different culture. I enjoyed working with my other managers as well.
Pros
good career
Cons
long commute
Friendly place - but bring your own "culture"
Fitness Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Helena Hospital Center for HealthSeptember 4, 2015
I saw how my work as a personal trainer/coach could work well as part of a medically based clinical team. They were great and I loved meeting my fellow employees and answering their fitness questions.
Pros
Worked with a great team and staff
Cons
Budgets and management turn-overs wrought havoc on morale
This was a great experience!
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CAAugust 9, 2015
• I was involved in a volunteer program under the direction of the hospital President Terry Newmyer. As the assistant to the hospital Chaplain, I was a group leader for the Recovery Center 12-Steps program, presented devotionals to the employees in morning chapel worship, and participated in Sabbath School and church service for patients and employees.
• I also volunteered in the Radiology Department assisting with ultrasounds.
Some good, some bad
Nurse (Former Employee) –  CAJanuary 2, 2013
The HIM/Coding Dept. is great! The management of the Nursing and HIM/Coding Dept's. however are just plain awful.
Unfortunately in the hospital overall there is so much nepotism that it's difficult to advance even if you work hard. Some of the laziest people keep their jobs year after year...it's a shame.
Pros
a lot of nice people
Cons
bad management in some dept's.
Small dept. a lot of drama.
Sterile processing technician (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Mediocre department management. Supervisor vanity is all important, the more you praise,the better your treated. Women are second class citizens and usually looked down on.Large turn over of staff in 2015.
Pros
Beautiful location, non management workers friendly.
Cons
Long commute. Poor middle management.
Case Management in a Rural Setting
Registered Nurse, Case Management (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CANovember 10, 2014
Case Management provides nurses an opportunity to see "behind-the-scenes". I loved learning about this different aspect of the hospital and nursing care. Sitting in an office and reviewing charts was very different to working at the bedside, but I really enjoyed collaborating with different teams to more effectively manage a patients care.
Horrible Job
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  St. HelenaMarch 3, 2014
A Good ole Boy system. Crazy coworkers that make your day hellish and Management that does nothing because the Crazy co-worker had been there for several years. Management that also allows physicians to take advantage of hospital employees.
Horrible place to work,evil coworkers!
One raise in 5 yrs.
very interesting place to work, something different every day
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St Helena, Ca.August 30, 2012
You start your day doing one thing and it was something different all of the time. I really enjoyed working with the patients, and the staff. Worked sometimes in the emergency room which was quite interesting.
Pros
working with people and diverce duties
Cons
having to drive 35 miles every day over the mountain