St. John's Hospital Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 12, 2017
Working with patients in the hospital was always a pleasure. To be able to assist someone in need and care for them and watch them get better was humbling.
A typical day at St. John's CT
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 30, 2017
MY day usually started at 10: AM, I would check my work e-mail and then I would check the Patient board to see what was to be scanned that day, I would usually do betwenn 15_20 exams a day with the most being 32 exams. I learned how to perform various CTA exams)as I came from a outpatient clinicl with a scanner not capable of performing CTAs},Management was okay, the controlled the cultur in the number of exams being done, St. John's, being a Catholoc Hospital in the HSHS healthcare system had as their Core Values; Respect, Care, Competence, and Joy. The fast pace is the hardest aspect, but I was able to handle. The people I worked with were the best, everyone helped everyone. ;
Pros
Good Benefits
Supervise Children
Childcare teacher (Former Employee) –  Jackson, WYApril 26, 2017
I supervise children age 2-4 years. Organize and implemented art projects, reading time and inside and outside activities. Prepare and serve lunch. I helped with the needs of the children.
You get out of it what you put in !!
Evaluation & Management Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 10, 2017
As a non-clinical nurse, hours are fair, wage is fair, management is great, understanding, supportive of continuing education, and approachable. Reasonable health insurance coverage and rates.
Pros
competitive salary/hourly to area market
Cons
I would like healthcare insurance for retirees until they qualify for Medicare
Hospital Security
Evening Shift Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 6, 2017
At that time, neighborhood could have been considered hazardous. Job responsibilities varied based on shift assignment. My experience, the Hospital Sisters cared about their patients and visitors. Additionally, they could be a direct asset in a potentially bad situation.
Surgical Tech (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 27, 2017
Coworkers were the best I've ever worked with. Very professional and knowledgeable of their jobs. I would like to come back to work there.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 14, 2017
I loved working to help ensure high-quality care to patients by delivering their food in a timely manner. I also loved seeing the smiles on the patients' faces as I entered their rooms.
Not as progressive as needed considering all the healthcare changes
Radiology Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 27, 2017
I liked it that it had a strong spiritual angle to the whole operation. It was also what made it hurt for us who got laid off because we were blindsided with no opportunity to possibly transfer to other departments. I was surrounded by good people in the workplace. I'm not sure how engaged upper management was!?
Pros
Always ready to help the needy.
Cons
Didn't adjust/change with the times. It was getting left behind compared to the local competition.
Great place to work overall.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Longview, WAJanuary 18, 2017
Check in patients to scheduled appointments, verify demographics to patient and verify insurance and process insurances. Attend to the needs of each patient to the fullest potential. Data entry, filing, customer service, and answering phones is a definite this position. System readily used is Epic, Care Connect and several insurance verifying websites.
Good
Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 13, 2017
Here I help with hospital supplies and equipment. When used equipment would come in, it was my job to clean the equipment and get them ready for the next time. I would also help to deliver the supplies and equipment that the nurses and doctors would request.
Pros
Walking and getting plenty of excersise
Cons
Not getting much of a lunch break

Want to know more about St. John's Hospital?

Ask a question
Nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIDecember 6, 2016
Typical work day easy however busy. chances to meet all kinds of people. coworkers were friendly and good to work with. overall a good place to work enjoyed the atmosphere.
Poor management
Pre Access Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 5, 2016
Poor management leads to overworked,underpaid employees with limited resources. Requests of any employee working off site are ignored by those responsible for responding to those needs on the main campus.
Very caring hospital with great core values.
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 18, 2016
The hospital was the place where my passion for food was started. I love to cook food and see people enjoy what I created. The nuns at the hospital were always the best part of my day!!!
Pros
every other weekend off
Cons
low pay
Great co-workers.. not so great management
patient account rep (Current Employee) –  springfield, ilOctober 27, 2016
I have worked here for 3 1/2 years. I like what I do but there is no room for advancement. The managers have never performed my duties so they do not always understand how things work. And when you try to explain it they do not comprehend and make you feel like you are the incompetent one.
There is a lack of recognition. Employees do not get any type of recognition for doing a good or great job. Everyone gets the same raise weather you give 150% or just 50% effort.
My coworkers are great for the most part but there are a few that are just lazy and do not perform their job well and there are never any consequences.
We are not in the hospital anymore and our fax machines/copiers are all way out of date. We have stacks of paper correspondence everywhere and no scanning system. If you are not directly involved in patient care then they tend to forget about you and not care to give you the tools to do your job properly.
Very relaxed place
Emergency Room (ER) Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MN 55109April 7, 2016
I only volunteered here for a few months but I loved it. It did get boring at times but after awhile it was fun if you were engaging with the patients and workers there. You're not allowed to have your phone on you but I did anyways and they didn't really mind. As long as I was able to not be distracted by it and was able to still help the patients. I volunteered in the Emergency Room and so I saw a lot of people come in very injury and with just a slight cough. They were all pretty optimistic though about their conditions. I would come back and volunteer here again someday when i'm not so busy.
Pros
patients, workers
Cons
felt like long hours
I Still Have Nightmares
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 29, 2016
Unfortunately, this hospital is a nightmare to work for. Overwhelming nurse/patient ratios, terrible management, and severely understaffed units. I wish there was a good thing I could say about having worked here.
A Productive Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 27, 2016
I was a candy striper at St. John's and it was overall a positive experience. I got to see what it was like to somewhat work in a hospital which is valuable to my future career.
I love what I do as a caregiver, and I'm surrounded by incredible nurses who have taught me so much.
Nurse Tech/Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 25, 2015
St. John's hospital has worked so well with me being a college student. I have gained so much knowledge and experience from this job.
Wonderful experience assisting woman through childbirth.
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IlAugust 26, 2015
Busy setting in the obstetrical unit. Caring environment for moms/baby couplets. Very strong atmosphere in education. Strong decision making skill set needed. Great teaching environment.
Pros
Set Schedule
Cons
Dept floating nurse/ratio
Great place to work.
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 24, 2015
During my years of being with St. John's I've enjoyed every day working there, especially with the crew of the 6th and 7th floor. There were days that it was hectic, but at the end of it we all pull through.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
none.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. John's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.