St. John's Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

I Still Have Nightmares
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 29, 2016
Unfortunately, this hospital is a nightmare to work for. Overwhelming nurse/patient ratios, terrible management, and severely understaffed units. I wish there was a good thing I could say about having worked here.
A Productive Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 27, 2016
I was a candy striper at St. John's and it was overall a positive experience. I got to see what it was like to somewhat work in a hospital which is valuable to my future career.
Review of St John's Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 27, 2015
I have learned firsthand the importance that management not only has on a professional level, but a personal one. I have experienced the lack of fairness and accountability in the year and a half I have been employed for this institution. There is not any room for advancement or incentive to stay long-term due to the lack of recognition and pay that employees receive.

I enjoy the majority of my co-workers and the teamwork along with the communication that allows for the department to run safely and efficiently for patients. The communication between my co-workers makes the day more enjoyable. However, the hardest part of my job is to accept the lack of accountability and leadership from management. Another aspect that is hard about the job is the rate of pay for the amount of work that is expected.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the personal relationships that I have made outside of the department and the satisfaction of providing the highest level of patient care.
Pros
Personal relationships and patient care
Cons
Short breaks, work flow, healthcare, and pay
fast paced enviroment
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  tulsa, okJuly 15, 2015
management was constantly trying to cover hours because they couldn't keep good employees. running the good employees into the ground with no appreciation of the hard work. The job was not hard just on your feet for 16 and 20 hour shifts was very tiring. The management did not stand up for the employees when needed. I loved my job overall I loved the excitement of the ER and dealing with the patients. It was a very awarding job and I enjoyed my coworkers.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
never got lunch breaks
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, MOApril 2, 2013
Review/correct patient's insurance information/charges and submit to commercial insurance companies for payment of claims. I learned to understand Explanation of Benefits very well and reasons for denials. Working with management was a positive experience. Most co-workers were congenial and pleasant to work with. Hardest part of the job was finding time to work the accounts receivables. The most enjoyable part of the job was the day-to-day challenge to submit correct data to the insurance companies for payment of claims.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
at that time not as technically advanced as springfield hospital
Large hospital with vibrant, up-to-date nuclear medicine department
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 31, 2014
This was a great job with great coworkers. It was a demanding job, however. The compensation was fair for the job.

There were several shifts starting at 6 am with the last person leaving at 5:30 pm.

I moved to live near my boyfriend so I had to quit the job. Otherwise, it was a rewarding career where my skills as a nuclear medicine technologist had been brought up to post-graduate level.
Pros
fast-paced enviroment which challenged me everyday.
Cons
sometimes could be a little stressful.
I love what I do as a caregiver, and I'm surrounded by incredible nurses who have taught me so much.
Nurse Tech/Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 25, 2015
St. John's hospital has worked so well with me being a college student. I have gained so much knowledge and experience from this job.
Outstanding work enviornment
Chemical Dependency Counselor / Internship (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 15, 2014
High energy environment
Opportunity for advancement
Caring Management
Loving sincere staff
Excellent training
Excellent benefits
Pros
outstanding work enviornment
Great place to work.
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 24, 2015
During my years of being with St. John's I've enjoyed every day working there, especially with the crew of the 6th and 7th floor. There were days that it was hectic, but at the end of it we all pull through.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
none.
Wonderful experience assisting woman through childbirth.
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IlAugust 26, 2015
Busy setting in the obstetrical unit. Caring environment for moms/baby couplets. Very strong atmosphere in education. Strong decision making skill set needed. Great teaching environment.
Pros
Set Schedule
Cons
Dept floating nurse/ratio
It was a great place to work. I give it an 8
Clerk/receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 20, 2014
St. John's Hospital help to grow in many skills of my job that I can now take with to other places. It is a great place to work and you meeting a lot of interesting people and hopefully make lifetime friends. The hardest part of the day was wondering if you did everything you needed to do before you left at the end of the day. Making a friendship with your co-workers and the patient's. Management would let you know the skills you need to grow in, and the ones you excel in the most. Overall it was not a bad place to work. The made sure the employees knew how appreciate they were to the company. They also worked to meet the needs of the patient's. I am sorry I no longer work there, but now I pray the skills I have learn there will take to another level in seeking another job.
Pros
potlucks, vacations, get together outside of work, meeting the needs of each other
Cons
you really could not take short breaks, just lunch.
fun
Phlebotomist 2 (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2015
Very good place to work. co workers are awesome. Management is wonderful. the hardest part of job is keeping patients happy. The best part of the job is seeing people happy. I enjoyed helping others and being part of the team,.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
not enough help at sometimes
Teamwork and focus on patient care
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 14, 2015
Worked with a positive team who focused on the spiritual and physical needs of their patients. Great manager who identified positive traits in each employee.
Interesting place of employment. Great way to see the humanity in people.
Shift Leader@Nite Bites Cafe (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 3, 2012
Hospital life is different than any other work environment, except for Nursing Homes. Here you see the good and the bad that life can deal out to individuals.
The core staff of any hospital is the Nursing and Nursing Assistants. They do more for the patients on an hourly basis than the rest of the staffing on a weekly basis.
Becoming emotionally attached to patients causes deep emotion let downs when they go home or pass away.
The best part of this job was dealing with the people and getting to interact with them and try to bring a little happiness and joy to their day.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
hours of position.
not a good place to work
Pharmacy Technician/Unit Clerk/Pharmacy Secretary (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 7, 2015
the management teams do not appreciate hard work or dedication at this hospital. they dont take the time to thank you for your time. they schedule you backto back shifts, and they arent understanding when it comes to working fulltime, being a single parents and children getting sick
Structured environment for drug and alcohol rehabilitation
Alcoholism and Substance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, New YorkJune 19, 2014
Conduct groups, complete paperwork, admit new patients, discharge patients completing program, find appropriate aftercare facility for patients leaving facility. Interact daily with all levels of management, work as a treatment team to oprovide the optimal care and recovery possible for all patients. The hardest part of the job is the seemingly endless revolving door that this disease causes but the most rewarding is the one patient that comes up to you and says that you made a difference or saved his/her life.
Interesting work in fundraising.
Development Secretary - Friend's of St. John's (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 26, 2013
Provided an interesting look at the world of fundraising. I learned about how difficult it is to raise money for a hospital and the workings of a volunteer board made up of community leaders.
Productive, busy, fun place to work.
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNAugust 16, 2012
A typical day at work started at 6 am going full speed ahead and not stopping until at least 2:30 pm. I learned better customer assistance, working with, for very A type, difficult females to work for. Management was not user friendly. Very dictator like. Mt co-workers were primarily very A-type, (difficult) to work with. The hardest part was mantaining the pace for 8 hrs. straight. The most enjoable part was the patients, I love people, and the Drs and other caring co-workers.
Pros
free lunches occasionally. down time once in a great while.
Cons
short breaks, no breaks, bad management (distant, not friendly).
Very busy environment, everyone worked well and pulled together
Registered Nurse Telemetry, Cardiovascular Unit (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 2, 2015
My co-workers were great and always willing to help if you needed it.
The all worked hard and put in very long hours.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
a lot of days there was no time for lunch and breaks were rare, most of the staff put their patients before their own personal needs.
St. John's has come a long way in the past several years
Adult Critical Care Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 17, 2015
Progress continues at St. John's Hospital. I will say working for this institution has it's ups and downs, but they continue to grow and put forth an effort to climb to the top.