St. John's University Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Boring Job just good for college students
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 10, 2017
It was merely a job to make some money while conveniently being on campus. Did not provide much growth, and no benefits but you could make money without having to work hard.
Assistant to the Dean, Graduate School Of Business (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 9, 2017
Tremendous benefits, including tuition discounts, make low salaries almost tolerable. Great family atmosphere and collegiality. Allows for sharing of ideas and personal growth.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
low pay
Excellent Customer Satisfaction
Director of Operations & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 3, 2017
Greatly concentrated on customer satisfaction. Would work for them again if requested. My job was contracted. Very friendly environment and management looks out for their workers.
Pros
Great customer service environment
Cons
Excellent benefits
Fun workplace, great team, but long hours
Orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 25, 2017
One of the best jobs I have ever had. So much fun, and your coworkers will always be there for you. I would recommend to anyone who loves being part of a great team and can make connections with others easily.
Pros
Free food, free housing (summer), great staff
Cons
Long hours, few breaks, constantly changing schedule
Easy going, strict rules to follow
Resident Safety Monitor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 21, 2017
Management is very friendly
Mainly swiping students into the dorms
Coworkers are friendly and easy to relate to
Love that we get 1 hour breaks
depending on which building you work in, it can either be a slow day or a fast paced day
Accredited University
Education (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 12, 2017
Excellent school to attend. Academics and Sports make the University a welcoming place to further your education. Fours years at this school prepared me for a great future.
Pros
Excellent School at an affordable price
Vincentian principles
Teaching Assistant and Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2017
Great place to be working at SJU. It teaches you to manage work and personal life. The working environment is based on a team concept. We work together to support each other and bring the best out in all of us.
Great time off and ability to balance personal & professional life.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 9, 2017
Great place to work, pay may not be the best, however, the time off and vacation time is amazing. One of the best work environments & amazing schedule.
Productive and influential workplace
Intramural Sports Referee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2017
Overall working at St, Johns University was quite a good experience. On a typical day of work you are to take out any sports equipment you'll need for the day and head to either the basketball court of soccer/football field. I learned at this job that during sporting events, the referees are extremely important to the game or else there would be chaos. Management is great because as long as sporting events are following campus sports regulations they're happy. Workplace culture is very "clicky" and much like an impersonation of any professional sporting event. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unsatisfied athletes who feel a call should've went their way instead of how the rule book says to call certain instances. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in the sporting world because I love sports so much.
Pros
Excersise and influential status
Cons
Having to be outside in certain weather and staff can be "clicky"
works with student schedules
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 3, 2017
As an employee and student of St. John's University for 6 years, I can say that they work very well with your student schedule and help you prioritize your classes.
Worker vs. Management
Wastewater Treatment Internship (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, MNJuly 2, 2017
Really enjoyed working with the one operator at the treatment plant. He pours his heart into his work, and is meticulous about all the little things typical operators don't think twice about, but that really make a difference in the long run. Management in my opinion, could be better to him, and could easily update the treatment plant since it possesses archaic process equipment, when looking at the advancements in treatment equipment.
Professional Atmosphere
Adjunct (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2017
I was a part tme adjunct at St; John's University. It was a most professional atmosphere. I developed my own curriculum. I enjoyed the interaction with the students.
Pros
Interaction with students/Developing My Own Curriculum
Cons
Hours were late
Relaxing and time managed working environment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 11, 2017
The day usually goes by pretty fast for me because of the amount of work to do for the workplace, but it is manageable and it is self-paced. Running errands when necessary and answering phone calls makes it look like a real office working experience. I was able to enhance my skills and learn different types of database software to complete the task. The working environment is comfortable and like a family.
n/a
Marketing & Media Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2017
I worked as a Leadership Coordinator for 4 years at St. Johns University. It was my responsibility to Organize and coordinate various events through the year.
Fun community to work with
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
kids are friends which helps make the community better and overall workplace healthier. It is always fun even though St. Johns does not pay us very well.
Fun workplace at a University
Student Affairs Associate (Former Employee) –  8000 Utopia Parkway, Jamaica, NY 11439May 29, 2017
I attend St. John's University and it is a great place to work as a student. The hours are flexible and it has an appropriate, fun workplace. It is a great, relaxing, yet competent work place.
Saint John's University
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, MNMay 25, 2017
Saint John's University was a great school for me to earn my Bachelor's degree in Mathematics. I am now ready to further strengthen my abilities in related areas and start a career
A great school to teach at
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 25, 2017
Returning to school after many years to obtain an advanced degree, I chose St. Johns. As a graduate student my experience was better than I could have imagined. To cap off the experience I was invited to join the faculty as an adjunct instructor. Four years and hundreds of students later, my admiration for this University has only increased. My students have been, for the most part, eager to learn and rewarded me in developing and refining my abilities to effectively teach. My department colleagues, faculty and staff, as well as administrative, contribute to a work environment conducive to the job.
Complaints? of course there are. They could pay more, Some older classrooms could use upgraded presentation systems. Campus food courts are too expensive for faculty and students alike. Overall though, no major complaints, but I would like to see a clear path and policy for adjuncts to advance to full time status
Pros
Excellent support services, Involvement with sudents, friendly work environment
Cons
Pay could be better
Good for the college student
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 24, 2017
Good work study experience. Learning conducive environment helps maintaining balance between school and work. Easy to find good mentors during the college career
Work at school
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2017
Not only did I work at St. John's University but I also attended the institution in hopes of acquiring a bachelor's degree in biology. The staff at the public safety office was very friendly and helpful. No matter what it was that any of the customer representatives were having problems with, the supervisors were more than willing to help. They taught me how to multitask with payments, issuing ID's, paperwork, campus work, and overall customer service. My attention to detail got the attention of my supervisors' boss and they offered me a higher position in less than a year. They always worked with my school schedule which made the job even more worth it. Unfortunately I had to transfer out of the school, so I couldn't accept the promotion. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry parents regarding parking issues but the supervisors were always there to walk us through the right steps until we became pros ourselves. The most enjoyable part was the fact that I was working at my school. I saw my peers everyday and was able to stay social because of that job.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Because it was work study my hours were limited