St. John's Well Child & Family Center Employee Reviews

Just work here to get your experience and then move on
Upper Management (Former Employee) –  corporate Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2017
Very, very high turnover rate. clinical mangers have a high turn over rate too, seen ex-staff escorted out by security. within all the clinics. Very high turnover rate for providers. every 2-4 months there is a shake of up some high rate staff member quitting, getting fired, forced to resign or they just cant take it anymore. if your on salary be prepared to work more than 40 hours a week.

no parking for employees in all the clinics. employees have been robbed going to there cars after work. its South Central LA. cars have been stolen, patients cars have been stolen too or vandalized. employee cars always get hit at parking lots in all the clinics. small lots to park for employees. Your car is screwed if you park in the streets. expect side mirrors to be broken, cars scratched, etc..

They hire staff that are not medically qualified to run the front office or other departments. Many of the staff are related to each other or friends of the executive then to management staff. Brother, sister, cousins, in-laws, family friends work here etc..its a joke. Some mom and son work together in the admin building. you got to keep your mouth quiet about dumb employees because there the ones that are related or in management. call center rejects many patients calls or don't answer patients calls.

staff are hardly educated, this goes from management level to clinical staff don't know how to use computers. many of the staff have tattoos . showing them off .IT department is somewhat dismal. always issues on printing , logging into the system as well. Currently for 2016-2017 they have
  more... have lost millions of $$$ bad computer systems for a new upgrade, that person was fired, lost grants another firing..etc... layoffs soon??? St Johns bleeds $$$$ all the time . Good ones always leaves this place, they find another job with better pay.

Very high turnover rate for providers.The only staff that is truly competent is the providers.except for the main cmo of the providers. providers cant do labs because there is pause to not to order expensive labs. upper level providers must approve labs.. what a joke.they try to save money, not patients lives. management pushing them to do their patients fast, hardly any admin time.
Pros
ree coffee but you bring your own mug.their non-profit, also forks and spoons
Cons
Very, very high turnover rate
very satisfied
Patient Portal Advocate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2017
I worked at St. John's and it was a great place to work at. An inspirational organization. I a worked as a patient portal advocate, it is a fast-paced environment. It was a great place to demonstrate my abilities to multi-task and be able to use my experience it makes my job very easy. Truly a great place to work at.
I quit
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2017
I don't agree with the way they are enabling the transgender community. They need to focus on what is medically necessary and not what will bring in more government money in.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Most things
not for the weak
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2017
High volume, spanish speaking, undeserved population. Work is hard here. People get along with each other, but it is really the loan repayment program that encourages people to stay instead of them finding other employment.
Definitely not a place for nurses. No established nursing department
RN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2016
Seek a place where your license is safe. No union, no formal education for new grads, no CNO, no nursing policies. You won't gain any clinical skills besides what you already brought with you. Did I mention, it's 8 hour shifts, so you'll be drained. Pay is far below any hospital job. If you want better pay and want to gain real nursing skills and a hospital won't hire you...get hired by a SNF. This is a company that bought the name rights of a reputable Christian organization. Now, the only thing Christian about it is the "St. John's" in it's name. No acute care experience to gain here.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Very busy and fun place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2015
I have worked with St. John's for over 5 years and it has come a long way to where it is now as an organization. I am a receptionist and let me tell you it is a fast-paced environment that few can handle the pressure. To be able to multi-task and be able to use my experience it makes my job very easy. I can't complain because the compensation/benefits is a blessing. I come in and do my job and get out.
Pros
Compensation/benefits
Cons
Short break or none. Fast-paced environment.
overall great place to work!
Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros:
I have been working at St. Johns for over three years and this company has been such a great learning experience for me. Their mission for improving medical care in poverty level communities truly shows how benevolent this company is not only to their patients, but also to their employees. My direct supervisor is a great human being and an amazing boss! He is one of the most understanding and trustworthy bosses I have worked for. In addition my coworkers and I have great friendships and work extremely well with one another. The benefits are pretty decent medical, dental, vision, & life insurance.

Cons:
Parking sucks for employees.
Union: I personally do not agree with equal wages for every single lower level employee. The hourly rate for every single employee is the same from janitors, front desk reception, medical assistants, call center staff, and referral coordinators. It’s not fair to put everyone in the same bracket when not everyone does the same line of work.
Pros
great work enviornment, good benefits
Cons
parking, union
Highest quality care in South Los Angeles / Excellent health care center
Provider- NP (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2015
St Johns well child and family center provides affordable/ free, evidence-based primary care. It Provide preventive medical, dental, behavioral health, and pharmacy services for children and adults to the community that is really in need of all these services making you feel that you are part of the Hippocratic Oath hundred percent. One of the facts that really called my attention was that the staff really believes in the benefits of prevention, early detection and treatment, health education, and the value of helping the patients make informed health care decisions where the clinical managers and medical directors play an important role making sure that we or the new providers focus most of the attention during the patient care process.

On the other hand I've acquired new skills working in this community clinic like a new middle level provider. I enjoy working with the staff that because they are like my other family. My co-workers and I have a great relationship and work really well together; you can learn from them every day and very much. We hold each other accountable and help out when it's needed. I enjoy going to work each day to work with the medical team I am a part of. It can be extremely rewarding. The most difficult part or the hardest part of my job is when there are not enough providers to take care of all the patients demands on the area and we have to see one or two extra patients but I love my job and my patients so much that I don’t consider it hard and that makes it enjoyable, every patient that I can help always give me and a reward that is priceless.
  more...

Furthermore, they are always available someone to speak to if ever questions arise from the corporative office even CEO has an open door police if you have any question. They train you and are always willing to continue training if needed with the E.M.R / patient care/ new treatments or procedures available for patients. The Providers Scheduling, Recruitment and On-board Coordination (Marissa D. McMillion) is JUST amazing very professional, flexible always encouraging, supportive and always willing to work with you / your schedule / your vacation / your CME time, etc. Great place… Great community clinic to work for.
Difficult place to work if you care about the underserved community
Mid level provider (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 30, 2014
I came to work for St.John's because of the mission of this company. Management made helping the underserved community next to immpossible. Unreasonable patient load (45+) for 8 hr shift. Work comparison with fellow providers done in open meetings, on wall ledgers, and verbal consturnations one on one. Expensive use of locums required because of the high turn over in medical staff. Non high School employees/Non medical employees are allowed to give demand orders to providers.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
Nepotism runs rampant in this company. Poor communication between mgnt and employees.
A great place to work!
Community Engagement Worker/CAA (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAMay 22, 2013
I have a passion to help people so working at this community health clinic was great! My day was assisting with insurance enrollment, setting appointment, giving presentations on programs and services the clinic provided, worked with children 0-5 with early child development. Love my co-workers we worked as a team! Lack of communication with Management was the hardest part of that job.
useless
assistant (Former Employee) –  los angelesMarch 21, 2013
They think they are helping you. But they are only making them selfs richer. While the main people are sitting on their butts. They under pay employees and want them as slaves. Medical and dental sucks. For example dental only has two good dentist an egyption lady and a latina. Then medical maybe only 5 doctors are good. So good luck
Pros
benefits at most
Cons
everything
Lack of Management and unorganized IT department
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesMarch 5, 2013
High stress, fast paced and little to zero leadership from within the IT department. Very high turn over ratio within IT during the time I was there. Most of the IT staff were unable to handle the sometimes unreasonable demands of staff and management.
A non-profit organization that has a great mission for the underpriviledged community of Los Angeles, CA
Human Resource - Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2012
a company that has an outstanding goal of providing assistance to the underserved community of Los Angeles, CA.
Productive place to work
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaliforniaAugust 8, 2012
People were friendly at times. I wish management would have communicated more with the employees under them. Job security was a big part of the company letting many of us go.

My co-workers were wonderful we all were like family. We kept each other together when times got hard. I did learn alot and gain planty of experience while working at St. John's.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
union, breaks, management, job security, bonuses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. John's Well Child & Family Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5