St. John Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Reality sets in
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Long time employee. Looking elsewhere. Nursing administration change 2 years resulted in a toxic work environment. RN manager would make disparaging remarks to other staff about employees. This was witnessed first hand. RN's were told several times, "if you don't like it we have 5 nurses for each one of your jobs" actual quote from CNO and ER manager. Ironically, consistently short staffed with no attempt to provide safe staffing ratios. Existing experienced staff turnover either out of the emergency department to other departments, or out of the system entirely. Benefits compare poorly to other systems, with high Co-Pays 50$ for specialty, 40$ for regular office visits. Threatened with corrective action regularly, numerous employees in corrective action, which the ED manager announced rather loudly at nursing station. Then manager moaned about poor scores on satisfaction surveys. Hmm...... Do the math, began 2 years ago when the CNO and ED manager took over.
Look elsewhere or at least another department. Toxic environment,
Incompetent management.
Pros
Catholic mission
Cons
Read the review
Good Employer until they re-organized management
Supply (Former Employee) –  RML, Tulsa OKMarch 3, 2016
I worked for this company for two years. My original manager was wonderful and very understanding. He was the best manager I've ever worked for. One day they decided to re organize management and put a manger over me that knew nothing about that department. He automatically wanted to change everything with out any explanation, he would not work with us at all, and would not compromise. Upper management didn't even tell us we were getting a new manager he literally showed up one day and said you are working for me now. There was not a transitional period between managers, or a time for the new manager to learn what the department did/ how we worked.I tried to speak to a couple of directors that were directly above the new manager but it did no good. They do not care about the employees, or what we think. If you do not know the right people in this company and have a good relationship with them then they will make you working for them horrible. There were no pay raises or any opportunities to move up within the company. I liked my job but management is absolutely horrible!! They also tell you, you can do something then turn around and punish you for what you did even though you had the managers approval before doing anything. New manager also would not work in the department with employees, he moved his office to the other side of the building and expected the employees to do everything but he would take credit for it, he also would not come to work most of the time but would dictate what we did via email. He did not trust his employees to clock in and out of the computer even  more... though he can track where you clocked in/out of. He demanded we clock in and out the old fashion way using the manual clock, cut our lunches from one hour to 30 minutes WITH NO BREAKS! There was also a lot of gossip and back stabbing between the employees.  less
Pros
Decent co-workers, benifits
Cons
hostile work envoirment, No breaks, short lunches, HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Unpleasant work experience
Lab Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 12, 2016
Working in the lab was a terrible experience. After orientation, you get thrown to the wolves and expected to know exactly what to do and how to do it. Nobody wants to help. When you ask for help, you get the help but with an attitude that makes you feel stupid and not want to ask for help again. Management is not great. There are cliques. If you're new, you're the "step-child" in the department. Smart remarks, mumbling, and snickers among management as soon as you make a mistake. Not a pleasant workplace at all. If you want to work in the lab, make sure you know EVERYTHING you think you may need to know because no one in there is going to help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor training
Enjoyable place to work with supportive management
Registered Nurse - 3N Medical/Surgical/Telemetry (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHSeptember 3, 2015
Supportive management and fair compensation. SJMC offers plenty of opportunity for growth. Having a team that works well together makes a difference when it comes to managing the everyday challenges of delivering healthcare in an acute setting. We are fortunate to have such a team on my floor. It has also been my experience when I have floated to other units in the hospital that the team mentality is prevalent there as well.
great job with good benifits with coworkers that feel like family
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 21, 2015
good benifits . good teamwork with staff . good management very helpful . only hard part about my job is turnin big patients . most enjoyable is knowing your helping save a life
Pros
good benifits
Cons
nothing
Good place to work if they like you.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 8, 2016
Lack of direction for new nurses. Difficult to know if and what mistakes to correct if management doesn't tell you. Always understaffed, despite magnet recognition.
Pros
Awesome experience in patient care.
Cons
Management does not communicate upfront with staff.
Certainly an eye opening experience
case manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 10, 2016
I worked as a Case Manager. The job started out as exciting and fun but quickly changed. Turnover is very high. The department is unable to keep employees. Employees are unhappy. Violation of privacy act by many employees. Lowest paid hospital in Tulsa. The managers don't listen to the concerns of the employees. Employees are not competent in their position but better to have a body in the position than to hire someone new.
Pros
Available overtime, cafeteria discounts
Cons
insurance is high considering St John owns the insurance company, High turnover, poor managerial skills
Very professional and kind
Emergency Room Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 18, 2016
I very much enjoyed volunteering here, it was an eye openning experience to work in the emergency room and I am glad I took the time to work there.
Pros
Experience building
Cons
No Cons
Micu
REGISTERED NURSE-CRITICAL CARE FLOAT POOL (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHAugust 24, 2016
Wonderful place to work at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Makes for a lot of room to grow in nursing career. With education as sky's the limit. Best experience to work there.
productive and great managment team
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 8, 2015
Depending where I am assigned to. I am either on the floors, mixing sterile iv's, assisting the counter area or working in the safe. I have learned a variety of things at St.Johns. Learned to fix pyxis problems, pend and load new orders into pyxis machine, mixing sterile Iv's, inventorying narcotics, compounding and communicating with nurses and doctors. Management is probably the best I have worked with. All management is professional and really look after all employees. Co-workers comes in all different personality, you will have to find the best judgment when dealing with a rough situation. Hardest part is not being able to know the answers to a pyxis problems because most nurses assumed we are pyxis tech but we are not. I enjoy the environment in general.
Pros
good lunches, good benefits
Cons
pay is low
Productive work place
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 20, 2016
The hospital is not the best on salary. Also, it is not always managed well. Benefits are alright. No tuition assistance.
Alright company
Insurance Follow Up Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 13, 2016
Not pleased with the management but no big deal. Huge turnover due to the management. Benefits were good. Good hospital but clinics not the best.
Loved the John
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 14, 2016
I only left because I wanted to try hospice nursing. Busy hospital. Wide variety of patients. Great care- I even took my loved ones there. Better environment before Ascension took over.
Enjoyable place to work
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHSeptember 20, 2015
Working at St. John medical center is a challenging yet gratifying job. I love what I do which is helping people on a daily basis. I have learned to be compassionate with those in need and have learned to work well with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is not knowing when I will be home at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that at the end of the day I have helped someone in need.
Pros
Flexibility
Friendly, caring environment
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHOctober 9, 2015
A typical day at work consists of either signing patients into the ER at the front desk while doing admits and helping visitors with directions or working in the back, registering all ER patients and getting required signatures and assisting with phone calls. Registering OB patients in labor quickly to ensure they made it upstairs in a timely manner.
I learned how to work effectively in a high stress, fast paced environment. Also how important a positive attitude is for not only the patients and visitors, but for your coworkers too.
My coworkers are amazing. We help each other out and have great communication.
The hardest part of the job would be dealing with rude people. Sometimes it gets to me and hurts my feelings, but I am nice to them regardless.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients leave and how satisfied they are with the care they received.
Okay
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  TULSA,OKJune 8, 2015
A typical day as a volunteer didn't consist of much. After signing in, I would float between helping at the front desk, the emergency room, various other wards, and patient rooms. Besides the patients rooms, I wasn't summoned to these sections of the hospital, but would have to proactively go there and ask if my assistance was needed. I couldn't do much besides transport certain patients to different wards and rooms, fetch patients water, and remake beds. Little to say about management, I interacted little with them, but the ones I did interact with made the experience worthwhile. The hardest part of the job was at times having nothing to do for hours and remaining idle. The most enjoyable part is that usually you volunteered with a group of fellow high school students at the same time, so I met new people as well as hung out with friends.

SJMC needs highly trained clinical staff and new management to apply
Diagnostics (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 30, 2016
First, I will say that all of my coworkers from clerical, to clinical staff, to the Dr's that I worked with in my department were some of the best people I have encountered. I'm referring to who they are, their attitudes, how they treat the patients face to face, and how they treat one another. So that is fantastic. But all of the St John's hospitals and facilities, including Dr's offices within the network, have some serious issues that have disrupted important segments of patient care that are critical to accuracy and safety. This could possibly be due to the Ascension take over, but some of it was in place long before. These legal, ethical, and safety issues which originate as a lack of data, loss of data, and most of all from untrained employees (sometimes knowingly, which management is aware of) recording inaccurate data into patients files and computer systems. Then this problem has become large creating issues with a massive number of patients daily for a couple of years because there is lack of action by administration despite feedback from employees from various departments. So any employees to join the company who have experience with positive motivation in creating progress in work flow is greatly needed. This person should be a person who speaks their mind, based on knowledge of how other hospitals manage these situations, and comfortably talks with staff from different levels to fix these issues from the ground up. There is also a dysfunctional element of SJMC where patient numbers are being increased in already overcrowded, outdated areas. This has been going on  more... for a decade with no progress to increase the size of areas that many patients are forced into and spend part of their day there. The administration keeps increasing the patient load drastically with no basis on actual physical limitations and time that is appropriate to manage that many people safely and most of all decently and respectfully for the patients sake. I blame that solely on upper radiology administration who seem inept and unqualified. They ignore suggestions and questions from every one under them. They work behind closed doors and never step foot in "their" departments for years. This hospital will improve when many top administrators stop covering their own butts related to problems they have been aware of forever. They don't seem to actually care or understand the reality of patient flow and all the pieces of patient care that a one goes through. This results in the already stressful experiences that a patient has to go through to be extremely unpleasant and downright terrifying because they feel like scared cattle in a corral. Not to mention they don't get to leave when they thought they would due to delays so they have to rearrange their days, miss other appointments, and arrange different transportation. So any applicants with health care management degrees need to apply to help create diversity and change. The patients are waiting for you and some don't have long to wait. It may turn out to be a very hard job full of needless daily chaos, but at the end of the day you will feel like you made a difference in fixing extremely important issues related to real patients. Even if it's behind the scenes and the patient may never even know.  less
Respiratory Therapy... Look elsewhere
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 18, 2015
During my time at St. John Medical Center I worked with many wonderful people. Unfortunately I also worked with many people who lack moral integrity and were grossly incompetent. I found that management within my dept. were highly bias towards certain individuals and double standards were present depending who you were. Many of the employees routinely came to work drunk or hung over from the previous nights partying. Many of the employees came to work high on prescription medications. There was an always present.. you scratch my back ill scratch yours mentality and fraternization among management and subordinate employees was commonplace. Turn-over within the department was the highest I'v ever seen with many co-workers quitting within months or weeks of being hired due to the internal politics and the presence of what I listed above. Hospital and departmental policies such as attendance, leadership abilities, accountability, ect. only applied to certain individuals and with others they consistently looked the other way. When patient safety concerns were brought forth it totally depended on who was at fault on whether or not it was taken seriously and addressed. Retaliation for reporting certain people for safety concerns and hostile treatment was commonplace. Routinely dept. workers would openly complain about the management and director and the lack of leadership present. Feuding between day and night shifts was an everyday occurrence and almost seemed to take priority over the job at hand. Workload was constantly viewed as an unsafe level by nearly all floor staff.
Overall
  more... I would rate the facility as sightly above average for the patient. For the potential employee however I would say that it is well below the national norm for a hospitable work environment.  less
Nicu
Neonatal Intensive Care RN (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 15, 2015
Great place to work.
Great coworkers with awesome teamwork and support.
I learned a great deal about assessment, medication administration and care of infants in the NICU setting.
Pros
Coworkers, Pay, great hospital
Cons
night shift, long hours.
St. John is a very good place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 2, 2014
In my career as a medical transcriptionist I worked for St. John Medical Center a total of 18 years. I enjoyed working for St. John all of the years that I worked there. The management team was always open to their employees' input on ways to be more efficient, cost-saving measures, etc. and they implemented a lot of ideas the employees contributed in our department. My co-workers were good and we worked as a "team" by supporting each another and helping each other every time we could.
Pros
very good managers, good dictators, good co-workers, good pay
Cons
no opportunity for advancement.

St. John Medical Center Reviews by Location