St. John Medical Center

St. John Medical Center Employer Reviews

An above average place to work
RN (Current Employee), Westlake, OHOctober 20, 2014
Pros: high standards of care
Cons: call
My typical work week involved call, with hold overs until cases were completed. A demanding environment but, a strong set of values and
standards for compassionate care. The administration is very visible, approachable and involved with every level of care. I enjoyed going to work.
St. John is a very good place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKOctober 2, 2014
Pros: very good managers, good dictators, good co-workers, good pay
Cons: no opportunity for advancement.
In my career as a medical transcriptionist I worked for St. John Medical Center a total of 18 years. I enjoyed working for St. John all of the years that I worked there. The management team was always open to their employees' input on ways to be more efficient, cost-saving measures, etc. and they implemented a lot of ideas the employees contributed – more... in our department. My co-workers were good and we worked as a "team" by supporting each another and helping each other every time we could. – less
Not bad to grab some entry experience
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKOctober 2, 2014
You sit on the phones all day, answering calls and putting tickets in. Usually they are password reset/lockouts. If you can't fix their issues remotely, you put a ticket in.
Unsafe workloads, Co-workers form clicks
ED RN (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2014
Too many patients, not enough nurses, no one to help out, no teamwork.
Main Admissions-Run, Don't walk away.
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee), Tulsa, OklahomaJune 11, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: questionable management
If you are considering a position in the Main Admissions department at St. John keep looking. You receive very little training, the manager is not there much of the time and when there she is extremely difficult to reach. If you do happen to reach her she typically does not know how to help you (or doesn't seem to care). The team lead is not much better. – more... The turnover is ridiculous (not surprising based on the complete lack of leadership) and the pay is low. The job itself is not bad but is not good by any means. I can't think of any particularly enjoyable parts of the job. The Health System itself seems to be a very good place to work but the Admissions department should be avoided at all costs. – less
Needs improvement in team work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 30, 2014
The administrative staff need much work in supporting the staff and encouragement.
Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 8, 2014
Pros: it barely paid the bills, but they got paid
Cons: benefits and pay are minimal, no consistency with anything.
A typical day at work would be checking patients in for their appointments, making sure all of their information was input into the system correctly, give them paperwork for their appointment and send them on their way.

I'm thankful for the opportunity I was given to get my feet wet in the medical field, however, this place has made me want to run – more... far away from the healthcare field all together.

Training was a joke. I pretty much learned everything on my own by making mistakes and getting in trouble for it, or by having another employee who had been there longer instruct me on how to do something. My manager and team lead where always unreachable and I hardly ever seen them. I was promised a schedule that I never got and because of the high turnover rate in the Admissions department, I probably never would get a consistent schedule.

Run far from the Admissions department. It has one of the highest turn over rates out of the entire hospital. – less
Felt isolated, most of the time. I'm a real peoples person
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: worked with a great staff.
Cons: confined, most of the time, in an office making calls.
Called and surveyed discharged patients. I was also the clinical eyes for direct admits.
it was afrienly place to work at
Nurse Manager (Former Employee), Westlake, OhioJanuary 31, 2014
Basically managing the flow of the Emergency departement and overall aspect of the department which included budget and performance evaluation. Hardest part of the job is finding time to do you administrative duties.
Interesting place to work
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 18, 2013
Pros: in a hospital setting there's never a dull moment.
Cons: when computer systems would go down.
A typical day would start out with patient registration for One Day Surgery which included contacting patients to verify information. I learned a great deal which inspired me to go back to school and pursue a degree in medical billing coding. The hardest part of my job was system shut downs. The most enjoyabble part of the job was seeing how well the – more... patient recovered from surgery. – less
Stuck in the past
Accountant (Current Employee), Brecksville, OHNovember 1, 2013
Methodologies and attitudes are antiquated. Leadership lacks any spark. Concern for employee wellbeing is lacking. Could be a great place with a management overhaul.
Recruiting was a very rewarding position.
Human Resources Recruiter (Former Employee), Westlake, OHOctober 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
This was one of the most rewarding positions I have had in my career. Helping people was a joy. My co-workers were interesting because they were from such a wide variety of backgrounds and with such different skill sets.
good company
workers compensation processor (Former Employee), Tulsa OklahomaOctober 11, 2013
good company to work for. good people and good atmosphere. hospital was concerened with the health and well being of their patients.
Professional team oriented atmosphere
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Longview, WAOctober 2, 2013
Pros: positive, professional, and courteous place to work
Cons: large corporation, at times i felt like a company number
Very positive work environment where everyone helps to get the job done.
One of the lowest ranked hospitals in the nation
Human Resources (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: still thinking...
Cons: listed above...
Upper management is petty and hostile to any non-managerial position. They say: "You can't fight city hall"..., that is particularly true of St John Hospital. Administration, Human Resources, and Department Directors rule the roost, it's an exclusive social club that will literally throw any mundane employee (no matter the length of their service) "Under – more... the wheels of the bus...", for literally any, or no reason.

The adversarial relationship between the working class and the ruling class has only gotten worse since the organization "sold out", to an outside health conglomerate (Ascension).

Profit is the new law. They can't seem to understand that patient care, and employee satisfaction, are "variables" in the profit equation. Example: If patient care suffers, then the company gets a bad reputation and therefore, loss of profit. If employee satisfaction/morale suffers, then productivity decreases (exponentially), and therefore, more loss of profit (in ways they can't even begin to control or identify...).

Current management should be completely replaced at every level. – less
High Hopes of Growing with.
Surgical Technician- CST (Former Employee), Westlake, OHSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: the experience i recieved in my fields were wonderful.
Cons: management had lost its heart for the work
Working at St.Johns was once a dream come true. Having had both my children there it was the first place I thought of when entering the healthcare field. I can say with in my 4.5 years there I learned a great deal. The number 1 thing I learned is that I most certainly belong in healthcare field. I absolutely love taking care of others. I also learned – more... that my favorite saying is something to live by (there is no "I" in team). Id say the hardest part of my job was that there was always one or two coworkers not working for the greater good but instead loved to spread their negativity around the O.R. I as a positive person always disliked watching their attitudes spread. When the hospital started to grow exponentially I watched more negative than positive spread through the hospital. Then the layoffs started! Management seemed to have lost its compassion for the patients and the hospital staff. – less
Ok place to work.
Clerical Worker (Former Employee), Tulsa, OklahomaAugust 17, 2013
My day at work use to be a pleasure to go to but not anymore. I now assisted RN with patients upon arrivals to recovery, on hands with patients now. However my old position was decided no longer need with which I would perform clerical duties. Hardest part is dealing with the physicians sometime. The enjoyable was doing my part for the patients behind – more... the scene/not on hand care. Great co-workers, management okay at time, learn from management to always stay prepare for changes. – less
St. John Review
Internal medicine Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKAugust 4, 2013
St. John is great place to work. The staff on all levels is professional, friendly and works as true team. I would recommend St. John Medical Center to anyone looking for a career in the medical field.
Progressive atmosphere with an emphasis on care and compassion.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKMay 22, 2013
Pros: two 30 min. breaks daily.
Cons: fast laborious turnovers between shifts.
A typical work day includes one on one interaction with patients with opportunities to express compassionate care. I have learned to exercise patience in many respects. I currently work in an area where those in charge admirably seek to advance our department while ensuring staff involvement. Our co-workers work as a team which enhances work quality. – more... The hardest part of the job consists of the physical demands. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery between both the patients and staff. – less
The heart of St. John is the mission and values which sets them apart from other organizations.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Westlake, OHMarch 17, 2013
Pros: being a small community hospital
Cons: the transformation
Working in Catholic hospital is a wonderful environment. The employees have a personal connection to the mission and values as well as to our patients making us a more cohesive group.

The hardest part of the job today is working through the tough economic times. SJMC is undergoing a major transformation period which has a negative affect on everyone – more... currently. We are struggling personally and professionally and trying desperately not to allow this to impact patient care. – less