St. John Providence Health System Employee Reviews

Structured work environment with good opportunities.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John Providence, Warren, Michigan (CSB)November 29, 2017
Very family oriented company with an easy going work environment. Very structured and dead line driven. Good Day Ascension kept me sane through personal challenges. I was lucky to be a part of them for 18 months.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Too structured
A lack of consideration for their employees
Physician Office Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 29, 2017
When I started working for Providence in 2000, I though it was the best place in the world to work, as time went by and we merged with St John, it be more of a difficult place to work, after reaching out to Human Resources for a couple of issues I was having and was to I probably should look for another place of employment.
Pros
My own space, pleasant coworker
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
I hope to never return
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 10, 2017
A typical day would consist of new comers doing majority of the work and the people with seniority laughing loud, gossip about their families and co-workers while only doing work that new people don't know how to do. The hardest part of the job is the workers and stressful environment. Its also one of the dirtiest hospitals I've ever worked at.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the work load. Its pretty fast paced and not hard to do.
Pros
Hours, leaving to go home
Cons
The workers attitudes, pay grade
great place
Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  detroitJuly 31, 2017
great management. Flexible hours, willing to work with your schedule. Great team and organization, allowed to balance work life and family lie. Great PTO allowance. Raises infrequently.
Fast-Paced
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 10, 2017
Fast-paced work environment. Working relationships between departments could be improved. Management within the department is nice and not micro-management style. Go above and beyond assigned job duties without proper compensation.
Nice place to work
ACL (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 2, 2017
Very busy and have worked my whole career for SJPHS. I have learned a lot with the different pt. diagnosis we see on a daily basis. It is a great place for graduate nurses to consider to start their career.
Phlebotomist
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 24, 2017
A typical day at the St.John's as a phlebotomist consist of gathering the equipment needed to perform venipunctures on patients. Collect a list of patients whose blood needed to be drawn. I would go to the floor (1-7) of the hospital and visit the patients on my list. I learned how to efficiently draw blood on difficult patients. I learned how to respond to different codes and rapids team emergencies. The hardest part of the job was trying perform venipunctures on patients who were tired of being in the hospital. The most enjoyable part of the job was when patients were being discharged.
Pros
meeting different people daily
Cons
having see death so often
Patient Sitter and Emergency Room Greeter
ER Greeter (Former Employee) –  East China, MIApril 8, 2017
I loved assisting people with the loss of a patient. The family members I assisted along with the doctors and nurses in both the patient sitter and the Emergency Room Greeter. I greeted people and guided them to their destination. I also went above and beyond the call of duty with assisting the family members and patients.

As a patient sitter I would sit and watch patients for safety purposes. I would let the nurses and doctors and family members know how the patient was doing each time I sat with them.
Pros
I loved greeting the people and helping them cope with the loss of death
Cons
Weird hours, benefits do not go with you when you retire, some of the bosses are tough to work for
Nice place to work. Good pay.
Patient Care Technician (Float/Flex-choice) (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMarch 8, 2017
St. John is a nice system to work for. It's large but with a smaller community feeling. The pay is compensation is great compared to other health systems. I
Staff worked together to relieve each other for breaks
Clinical Office Assistant/PBS Representative (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIDecember 20, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service and following hospital and departmental procedures. My co-workers were great and very helpful.
Pros
A lot of training that is available if you want to advance.
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting Job and very rewardable
Cardiovascular Technician (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 10, 2016
Typical day of my job was very fast paced. Never knew what was coming through the emergency room to Cardiac Cath Lab. Highly trained on the best equipment available. Team Leader so involved with management. I am a team player. I hardest part of my job was when we lost a patient. I enjoy working and helping people.
Pros
Lunch brought in to us a lot.
Cons
Sometime we didn't get a lunch.
Fast pace work all day and unorganized place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 29, 2016
You would think working in a kitchen would be easy, but no it's not. The work I do is base on speed and organization, if you have both you will do fine. Working at St. John's kitchen made me learn to work at a very fast pace while maintaining cleanliness. The management there is horrible, very unorganized, communication is very poor, lazy and they tend to lie. Co-workers are lazy and very petty. It's not so much as hard, but when you don't have a routine and others are not doing there job it will be hard. My lunch time is the enjoyable part of the day, because you get to eat for free.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Healthcare
Great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 23, 2016
Great place to work. Opportunities for advancement, good work environment, excellent management. Always treated like a person, not a number. Several locations available to choose from.
Leadership Role
Director Oncology Network (Current Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIOctober 26, 2015
Responsible for the oversight of 20+ associates - Clinical research and support staff as well as development of new programs such as Genetics and High risk services, Oncology Psychology program and the growth and development of navigational services for specific disease sites. In addition my duties include member of Cancer committee and oversight for accreditation of system wide ( 5 hospital) breast program.

As a leader my aim is to provide a culture of collaboration ,supporting and enhancing mutually beneficial relationships across the care teams. My view of leadership is to provide the support needed to my team members to allow them to provide the best patient care possible.

Oncology practitioners are some of the most caring and supportive healthcare practitioners you will ever meet
Pros
caring, supportive staff
Cons
change in healthcare across the nation is adding stress to an already strained field
Great company to work for-great benefits!
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warren, MichiganOctober 25, 2015
Worked with a wide range of associates - peers, managers, physicians. It was a busy environment which I enjoyed very much. Needed to multi-task and be very organized.
Productive and Active Work Environment
General Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2015
Clinical laboratory setting that is both professional and comfortable. Generally all employees have a positive attitude and are willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to help ensure patient care.
Great company
Director, Strategic Planning and Decision Support (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 7, 2015
Large organization, great mission and values. Many opportunities to advance. Good place to learn and take knowledge elsewhere.
Good coworkers. I've built some very nice friendships.
Lead Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 11, 2015
It started out as a good place to work. Good people, good benefits. However, over the years they keep taking more and more benefits away, our pay is not going up and management doesn't seem to want to work with the employee's to make it better.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
Benefits continue to go up. No raises for long periods of time. Little incentive.
I'm Glad That's Over....
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 11, 2015
This position was not a 'good fit' for me as mutually agreed upon by myself and immediate supervisor. Medical billing is not only repetitive to the point of being mind-numbingly boring, but the office is also down a basement where the light of day cannot be seen or felt, but only longed for.....

There is also a quota system in place. The unspoken truth is this" SJPHS cares more about getting as many patients billed as possible then they do about making certain that those same patients are billed correctly and accurately, hence, the quota system that is in place. During the time at which I was employed, that quota was set at 200.
Pros
Flex time an direct deposit offered
Cons
quotas
Very productive environment
MRT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 6, 2015
Very productive work environment, but management does not take care of the problem employees. Extra employees are hired so there is enough staff to cover for those employees who are always calling in. Go figure, aside from calling in the tension is so thick in the department when they come in they are always looking for arguments so they can say they are being discriminated against. Management is afraid to fire these kind of people. The more problems you cause the more likely you are to keep your position out of fear from management. This is my second department within the hospital that this has been the case. If management does not get it together they are going to lose a lot of hard working reliable employees because of this.
Pros
Good benefits, love my job, but ready to leave because of what I have described.
Cons
Some of the employees in this facility that have job protection for what reason, I do not know