St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center Employee Reviews

Challenging workplace with incredible coworkers
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 30, 2016
This hospital had very challenging patients. For example lung transplants, a level one trauma hospital, and a world renowned neurology hospital and with all of this the staff remained committed to compassionate care and friendliness to their coworkers.
Pros
Free coffee, friendly staff
Cons
Short breaks.
In summary
Staff Nurse, Neuro Science ICU Critical Care (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2016
Great learning environment. Staff were challenging in social skills and accepting of new people. I received a lot of experience with a variety of patients and they're care unique to the individual.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Staff were challenging in social skills and accepting of new people.
Not willing to change current culture
CCRN (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 12, 2017
This is a decent place to work but many nurses are very set in their ways, not open to suggestion or change. VERY old school. Call requirements are excessive. Food is expensive and is awful.
Cons
Not all departments are on electric charting
Great hospital
Registered Nurse, Float (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2017
Great facility, great team work. I enjoy a flexible schedule. Many opportunities to work in various departments as an experienced RN
work place
Patient Care Associate/Nurse Assistance (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJSeptember 15, 2016
I didn't like the manager that I worked for. she always came to work with a negative attitude, and she do not know how to speak to people.
Amazing place to work!
Lab Service Specialist/Phlebotomy (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2016
Amazing, amazing! Company values their employees and continuously provides recognition. Great support system. Love love this place!
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
Non
System Coordinator
eScription Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 20, 2015
Responsible for the day to day monitoring of the reports received in medical records from the transcription interface. Responsible for monitoring records for accuracy and completion in a appropriate time frame. Serves as the SJHS administrator for transcription services. I enjoy my job i get along great with my co-workers with my Director and Everyone around the hospital is a pleasure working with them.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
15 minutes
Challenging workplace with great people
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2015
Days can be busy or slow, slammed or boring, everything is always different. This keeps the job challenging, but good. Stagnant jobs are not fun to work at. I like to keep busy. Stress plays a large factor in my position, but if handled correctly, the job is completely satisfying. Upper level management seems to not understand what the workers are in need of, but middle management tries to do what they can. Free coffee mugs are not something we need 4 times a year. There is a lot of passive aggressive attitude in management, and poor communication.
Supportive philosophy to contribute valuable services to the communityy.
Bilingual Care Coordinator/Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2014
I provided service coordination to a caseload of about 50 children, age zero to three, who had developmental disabilities. Did assessments to determine appropriate therapies and interventions to help children reach optimum goals. Worked with therapists and medical community to provide best services. Served mostly a Spanish speaking community.
Pros
Flexible schedule, mileage reimbursement, excellent benefits.
Cons
None. I loved this job. Contract ended during the economic recession.
Challenging
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2012
12 hours shifts with self scheduling
US healthcare system is complex and terribly abused
Upper management is driven by financial and political motivation, and do not necessarily take into consideration the greater good.
Advancement is difficult and at times seems based on clique involvement as opposed to actual credentials and qualifications.
The hardest part of the job is being a witness to the human deprivation and lack of compassion as a society
Productive and good learning experience
Medical Records Analyst (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 1, 2013
A typical day at work would be finding deficiencies on medical records and entering computer data. I learned many skills such as professional work ethics and proper handling of public in person an over the phone. The management were very helpful with my growth within the company. My co-workers were very net because we had to work together as a team. There was no hardest part of the job because all the job consisted of was pleasurable.
Productive. This is where I fell in love with the medical field.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Paterson,NJSeptember 17, 2013
Pulling charts for the dialysis patients. Preparing tubes for lab work for the patients, ordering lunches, spinning down blood, making admission charge cards for the patients. Pulling census, making sure the patients have transportation to and from dialysis for patients who do not someone to take them or they can not make the drive home from dialysis. Working with Hepatitis patients, AIDS paitients, TB patients, transporting patients to the dialysis floor. Recording data. Management works with you at all times. Everyone works together. The loss of a patient. To see eveyone have a good day in dialysis.
Pros
The satisfaction of knowing I had a hand in helping.
Cons
Never enough time.
Level 1 trauma! Such an excellent hospital!
Electrodiagnostic Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2012
Started my career here at St. Joe's! I believe its the best hospital for my type of career as a Neuro technician. It was such a great place to work for. Worked with many doctors as well as residents to give the best care for our patients. Did my clinical rotation here, and learned from all the doctors and all the other technicians.
Pros
excellent benefits, pay, vacation time, level 1 trauma
Cons
no cons
Excellent organization, learning environment
Senior Histotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2013
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center is an excellent example of a nonprofit organization that allows individuals to develop their own abilities while caring for patients and their families. St. Joseph's Hospital supports the personal, professional, and academic growth of her employees. I would recommend St. Joseph's to those seeking health care services or health care employment.
Productive and caring environment, supportive co-workers
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJMay 5, 2012
The day shift was organized, communication was optimal, RN's were excellent mentors and always available. Co-workers were also supportive and made it clear that we were 1 team, the same team. There were not any "difficult" components to this job and the most enjoyable was the atmosphere created from the unit manager to the unit clerk.
Pros
excellent benefit package, open door policy for concerns
Large Trauma Level 1 Hospital
Pediatric Echocardiogram Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2012
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center is part of Dignity Health Organization. It is a large, not-for-profit hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center. It offers excellent care in the field of neurosciences. It is home to the only adult lung transplant program in Phoenix, Az. Great people work there and really care about their community.
Pros
people, values, and good benefits
Cons
slow to change
If you love working with a great medical team but poor managers
Staff RN, Department of Emergency (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2012
Rns and mds are amazing here. There are those 10 percent that are not so amazing.

The managers and leadership is that what is similar to highschool. You will be worked to the bone and underappreciated by managers. They will be sure to make your work life miserable if you do not join the clique they are a part of.
Pros
great staff rns and mds...
Cons
poor management
A stable environment with a lot of caring people
(PCIS) Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2013
A typical day at work involved working with people in IT that were formerly nurses, technicians, and others from the medical staff. This was my first programming job, so I learned a lot about gathering requirements and transforming the customer's needs to the application we supported. I enjoyed working with a team that were former medical staff because they had so much information to share. So not only did I learn a lot about the application, I also learned a lot about the various functions in a hospital and how they are adminstered. I did not find this job to be difficult, so the hardest part about the job was learning to work with deadlines. The most enjoyable part was the feeling of satisfaction when resolving a customer's issue.
Opportunity for growth and development
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 4, 2015
Opportunity for growth and development. Great co-workers who are willing to teach you. Enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients get better
family orientated, trusting,
Food and service representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 8, 2015
Days were not always the brightest but the supreme amount of communication that stressed in the work place makes this job peaceful. Patient care would be a key value to have feed back from customers would light up a room and every employee lived for that feeling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3