St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

My one year part time work at TransPerfect Remote Interpreting
I just received the training (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 3, 2015
At the time of getting this working opportunity, I introduce myself as a Spanish/English Medical Interpreter. I got the job with a salary of $15.USD per hour, but during my shift at the floor I had 90% on financial calls from Banks, about 8% calls from Delta Airline and the rest from other companies, almost nothing and very rare medical calls.
Management was a little bit disorganized with way too many interpreters assigned to a Supervisor

It was somewhat difficult to learn the financial terminology and particularly difficult do interpretation for the security questions since these are time controlled. Some Bank Agents do not help the process speaking clearly and in short phrases.

The working environment is very professional and I was able to meet lots of nice people from all over the world
Pros
Very nice working environment, great training and a nice experience
Cons
It doesn´t matter how long you have been working with the company, it is always part time with no benefits.
Supportive philosophy to contribute valuable services to the communityy.
Bilingual Care Coordinator/Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2014
I provided service coordination to a caseload of about 50 children, age zero to three, who had developmental disabilities. Did assessments to determine appropriate therapies and interventions to help children reach optimum goals. Worked with therapists and medical community to provide best services. Served mostly a Spanish speaking community.
Pros
flexible schedule, mileage reimbursement, excellent benefits.
Cons
none. i loved this job. contract ended during the economic recession.
System Coordinator
eScription Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 20, 2015
Responsible for the day to day monitoring of the reports received in medical records from the transcription interface. Responsible for monitoring records for accuracy and completion in a appropriate time frame. Serves as the SJHS administrator for transcription services. I enjoy my job i get along great with my co-workers with my Director and Everyone around the hospital is a pleasure working with them.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
15 minutes
Level 1 trauma! Such an excellent hospital!
Electrodiagnostic Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2012
Started my career here at St. Joe's! I believe its the best hospital for my type of career as a Neuro technician. It was such a great place to work for. Worked with many doctors as well as residents to give the best care for our patients. Did my clinical rotation here, and learned from all the doctors and all the other technicians.
Pros
excellent benefits, pay, vacation time, level 1 trauma
Cons
no cons
Large Trauma Level 1 Hospital
Pediatric Echocardiogram Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2012
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center is part of Dignity Health Organization. It is a large, not-for-profit hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center. It offers excellent care in the field of neurosciences. It is home to the only adult lung transplant program in Phoenix, Az. Great people work there and really care about their community.
Pros
people, values, and good benefits
Cons
slow to change
Opportunity for growth and development
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 4, 2015
Opportunity for growth and development. Great co-workers who are willing to teach you. Enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients get better
It's good
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 25, 2015
I like the team that I worked with. SJPA rocks. The clinics are very much together in unison. The managers work hard to help fill in when a team member is out of the office.
Cons
Pay is not competitive to other hospitals near
Clinically challenging at times; good coworkers
RN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2013
We have 4 RN's for each pod (8 beds each) of ICU's. We are assigned 2 pts each. I have learned how to prioritize at an early stage in my nursing career, which is very helpful in the ICU. My coworkers are fun to be around and are willing to help when necessary. We all have a great work ethic. Nursing/medicine has certainly changed since I graduated from college. I feel like we are forever trying to keep up with all the new changes in charting, protocols, equipment, even the acuity of pts has changed. Pts are surviving devastating illnesses/injuries now, where before, they would not have stood a chance. I think this is attributed to the critical thinking we as ICU RN's, along with the phyicians, have developed in our years of experience. The best part of my job is seeing a pt return to the ICU as a visitor, and complimenting the staff on the wonderful job they did or the great experience they had during their very trying time in the ICU.
Pros
the pros include the diversity of the pts themselves (cultural, ethical) and the ability to care for them the way they want to be cared for
Cons
long hours with no breaks, short-staffed, frequently no techs or huc's, and poor management
working as a team was a way of life
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2014
I worked there for close to 17 years and enjoyed the variety of disciplines that are offered.
Pros
the benifits and the people who worked with you.
Cons
being on call
Fun workplace and great place to learn.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2014
I enjoyed working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Overall, staff is very helpful and always work in a team.
Pros
great employee benefits
Challenging workplace with great people
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2015
Days can be busy or slow, slammed or boring, everything is always different. This keeps the job challenging, but good. Stagnant jobs are not fun to work at. I like to keep busy. Stress plays a large factor in my position, but if handled correctly, the job is completely satisfying. Upper level management seems to not understand what the workers are in need of, but middle management tries to do what they can. Free coffee mugs are not something we need 4 times a year. There is a lot of passive aggressive attitude in management, and poor communication.
Not a place you want to be
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 27, 2014
I worked here only because I needed a full time job. After a few months I highly regretted my decision to stay here but did because I am not one to just quit my job. I was here for 4 years and I can honestly say the coworkers and patients were the ones who kept me from walking out. Human Resources and higher ups do not care about their staff unless you have a title behind your name. Too many lawsuits and serious issues were kept hush hush. When you speak out against any wrongdoing you get reprimanded or suspended and then fired. One of the worst places I have ever worked. Not every manager was bad there were a few good apples but not enough to want to actually work here. I would not recommend it due to the fact there are always new faces walking in and out the door too frequently.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
short staffed, doesn't pay well
If you love working with a great medical team but poor managers
Staff RN, Department of Emergency (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2012
Rns and mds are amazing here. There are those 10 percent that are not so amazing.

The managers and leadership is that what is similar to highschool. You will be worked to the bone and underappreciated by managers. They will be sure to make your work life miserable if you do not join the clique they are a part of.
Pros
great staff rns and mds...
Cons
poor management
Challenging
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2012
12 hours shifts with self scheduling
US healthcare system is complex and terribly abused
Upper management is driven by financial and political motivation, and do not necessarily take into consideration the greater good.
Advancement is difficult and at times seems based on clique involvement as opposed to actual credentials and qualifications.
The hardest part of the job is being a witness to the human deprivation and lack of compassion as a society
Friendly and helpful staff
Staff Per diem (Former Employee) –  703 Mainstreet, Paterson NJ 07503April 2, 2013
A typical day at work is after you assessed and plan the care for your patients, we get to action by team work.

I learned how to manage my time because, it's always busy in any of the floors I am assigned.

Management is always supportive and always keeps us informed of JCHAO mandatories and always gives us the time to attend these classes.

Co-workers are friendly and supportive. We always work as a team. Gets the work done fast, efficient and safe.

The hardest part of the job is not to be emotionally involved, especially if I am caring for a real sick kid or preemie.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing our kids progress and get well. Come back for a visit.
Pros
because, we work as a team, we always have time to take care of ourselves. having dinner, chat (quietly, since we work at night), plan our own activities/fun
Cons
when we get really busy, we don't get breaks but, this does not happen frequently.
Challenging
Cardiac Monitor Technician - Health Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2015
Worked there 8 years. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. The job itself I was very passionate about.
Management sets different rules for different people and shows a lot of favoritism.
Pros
Over time available
Cons
No lunch breaks
Productive. This is where I fell in love with the medical field.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Paterson,NJSeptember 17, 2013
Pulling charts for the dialysis patients. Preparing tubes for lab work for the patients, ordering lunches, spinning down blood, making admission charge cards for the patients. Pulling census, making sure the patients have transportation to and from dialysis for patients who do not someone to take them or they can not make the drive home from dialysis. Working with Hepatitis patients, AIDS paitients, TB patients, transporting patients to the dialysis floor. Recording data. Management works with you at all times. Everyone works together. The loss of a patient. To see eveyone have a good day in dialysis.
Pros
the satisfaction of knowing i had a hand in helping.
Cons
never enough time.
A New Challenge Every Single Day
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2015
The campus at St. Joseph's is nearly 200 square acres, not including vertical by way of four separate facility towers encompassing a minimum of six to eight floors a piece as well as on and off campus parking structures and hospital facilities that we part of our patrol and response duties. This facility was overseen by a shift of only six security officers including a supervisor each shift. Now this is a lot of ground to cover for such a small team. However, we overcame and adapted to whatever challenge was presented to us by utilizing team training techniques and developing professional, working relationships with many of the faculty and staff on site with the ER in particular. There we would deal with many of our greatest challenges in our day to day, ranging from combative patients under the influence of illegal substances to simply talking with patients and their families as part of our public relations duties. We worked closely with many levels of law enforcement and emergency services, and are vital parts of day to day operations when dealing with the public. In general we liked to describe our work as 90% public relations with only 10% hardened security hands on work. We were not there to be the Pretorian Guard, but our first and foremost duty was to the safety of staff, patients, the facility and ourselves. The team I surrounded myself with came from a wide range of ethnic, cultural and career backgrounds with no two of us being the same or possessing the same skill set. This allowed us to adapt and overcome any situation presented to us in a minimal amount of time.  more... The best part of our day to day was overcoming those challenges, and together getting to go home to our families and lives feeling fulfilled and productive with what we had accomplished.  less
Pros
Challenge, Teamwork, Opportunity
Cons
Turnover, Short Staffing, Micromanagement
family orientated, trusting,
Food and service representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 8, 2015
Days were not always the brightest but the supreme amount of communication that stressed in the work place makes this job peaceful. Patient care would be a key value to have feed back from customers would light up a room and every employee lived for that feeling.
Great environment, Awesome providers, overall great department to work in
Medical Assistant - Outpatient Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2015
This is a small department that is growing very fast. The staff is very nice and easy to get along with. Referrals come in on average 5 a day. Very busy office. Great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3