ST. JOSEPH'S VILLA Employee Reviews in United States

Able to effect the lives of at risk youth. Challenging position
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2015
I worked with at risk youth to help them overcome serious emotional and behavioral challenges.
I was also responsible for assisting/training them in completion of their daily living skills including: hygiene, room cleanliness, completion of chores and laundry.
My co-workers and myself had to work as a team in order for there to be a safe and teachable environment for the youth.
Pros
Learned skills to adapt to different situations that transpired
Cons
Stressful at times because of the children's behavioral challenges
the spoooky villa
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 25, 2015
saint josephs villa is a nice quiet enviroment to work in, sometimes a bit to quiet. That place is haunted no doubts you can feel it. Try working for the villa
The most interesting job i ever had.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 23, 2015
Working with children and their families was a very rewarding and fulfilling job. Every day would bring some new challenge or new experience. I worked with a great group of dynamic people who taught me about child care. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a child or children while they are in crisis. It takes a lot of patience and listening skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children grow and gain confidence in themselves.
Pros
food for breaks was provided/lunch was a paid break
Cons
some days/shifts were very long
job
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Flourtown, PANovember 23, 2014
Very productive place to work. This is the place I developed my love for helping people.
Productive workplace for staff and indivudals
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2014
Very helpful and resourceful workplace for staff and individuals. Lots of chances to take different trainings
Great place to be yourself!!!
Interim Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 8, 2014
Saint Joseph Villa is a great place to work. The people work well with the individuals and their family to ensure success. We provide them the opportunity to go out in the community and not feel displaced because of their unique personalities.
Great
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flourtown, PAJuly 10, 2014
Excellent Nursing Home. The religious atmosphere is a plus. Clean and always supplies.
Great people, great mission
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2014
SJV is a great place to work. The CSU at the Villa does amazing work and helps heal families.
Intentions of company are good... but...
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 22, 2014
The intentions/goals of this non-profit are well-meaning with mulitiple programs to meet the needs of the community. However, issues arise with the execution of the various programs which are underfunded and understaffed. The agency is unsystematic and disorganized.
The agency has a "grassroots" feel. There are many, many, many caring employees with great ideas and good intentions.
I have learned a lot and have advanced at this agency. They have full benefits to include a 403b match. It is a secure job with slightly low compensation.
I have mixed feelings with this agency, but, I have had positive experiences overall.
Charter school seting
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2014
Productive work environment. This was an opportunity to help "special needs" students succeed academically, as well as socially. I work with a team that focused on helping students to become life long learners. The most enjoyable part of my job was the excitement of my students and parents when they successfully transitioned back into their public school setting.
Pros
helping special needs stiudents improve their academic/social skills
Cons
lack of technology
St. Joseph's Villa allowed me to see the great feeling of really helping those who need it, to bond professionally with kids that had never
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 23, 2013
The counselors at "The Villa" were encouraged to include the youth in tasks around the cottage. This gave them life skills such as cleaning , cooking, and taking responsibility for their living area. My co-workers and I had regular meetings to map out strategies to best meet the individual needs of each resident. The challenging part of the job was gaining the trust of the client. The most rewarding part of the job was after the trust was in place to watch a kid grow in his/her confidence to try things on their own.
St Josephs Villa Rules!
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 11, 2013
Would totally return.
Management is great.
Co-workers are very supportive.
This job was very challenging, as I had to use my skills dealing with adolescents while maintaining perspective of an adult.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
none!
wonderful products and environment
One - to - One child crisis counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 9, 2013
I loved my time at Heaven & Earth. The products were wonderful and inspirational. Wonderful and easy to work with management.
A good social work setting and learned alot about counseling.
Mental Health Support Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2013
supportive to their clients and families and family oriented. excellent training and a good human resources department. Clothing closet for clients are excellent.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
meager income
Productive and friendly coworkers
Mental Health Support Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 4, 2012
Interview clients, review records, conduct assessments, and confer with other professionals to elevate the mental or physical conditions of clients.
Assist clients in adhering to treatment plans, set up appointments with doctors and teachers, coordinate transportation, and assist with additional support.
Educate clients and local community regarding various forms of abuse, medications, and resources available within the community.
Provide monthly evaluations of client progress within the treatment programs in respect towards their individual goals.
Attend court hearings, educational meetings, and community activities with clients and parents.
Pros
flexible schedule, linking clients to community services
Cons
poor healthcare, low pay, on call 24/7, no paid vacation time
Could not recommend anyone apply to work here.
In-Home (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 12, 2012
Worst place I ever worked. Have never seen a higher turnover anywhere. Upper level management bullies and threatens, micromanages, is dictatorial, won't solicit or listen to ideas of those on the front line, are very out of touch with the realities of work in the field with clientele involved, and actually stated didn't care at all about/what happens to either employees or kids and families we work with. All the while put on a smile and happy face for donors and outside organizations that bring them clients, donate, or connect somehow to public awards they can receive. Very hypocritical. Extremely high turnover and job disatisfaction appears to be across all types of positions and classes of employees there, and appears to be a direct result of the culture across the board in management above first line supervisory level. The caliber of newly hired employees is superior and they are totally dedicated to their specific craft. The turnover is not due to burn out or not being aware of what you were getting into in job duties. Also, substantial number of hours are mandated but not compensated for (in violation of labor laws). This last statement has been verified with the Dept. of Labor.
Pros
co-workers and first line supervisors they hire are wonderful.
Cons
extremely high turnover due to extremely bad management above first line supervisors, half your work/meeting attendance/driving between contact sites, etc. must be done for free, morale terrible, bad to no benefits.
productive
Staff Development Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2012
fun place to work even though i wasn't getting paid for it i learned how to transfer document from one program to another
Great place to work.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  David City, NEJuly 3, 2012
A typical day for me at St. Joseph's Villa consists of getting residents ready for supper, helping them with their activities of daily living, and getting them ready for bed. There are activities that occur throughout the day. The management listens to the staff and they are excellent to work with. The co-workers at this facility allow for great communication and to provide excellent care for the residents. The hardest part of my job is the physicality of it which is getting the residents up for meals. The most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on the residents face when they have had a bad day or even if they aren't, it allows me to know that I make a difference in their lives.
Pros
great benefits and great staff.
Cons
none.
The Culture is second to none
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  FinanceApril 10, 2012
I worked in accounting where there is a lot of longevity. Because its non profit raises and pay isn't significant. But if you are looking for a great place to work and retire from this is the perfect place.
Pros
culture, values, work-family balance
Cons
low pay, limited in advancement