St. Joseph Center Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Work for
Lead Pre- K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Venice, CA 90291August 7, 2017
It is an amazing non-profit organazation that gives 100% back to the community. The company takes care of all their help in so many ways. They have an awesome Christmas party, provide time and different places to volunteer, collaborative community, a great retreat each year, and Christmas bonus!
Pros
closed for Christmas 2 wks..paid time off
Cons
no breaks, just lunch (1 hour)
Great work environment and benefits
Case Manager/Intake Coordinator FRT, HFSS (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2017
The entire organization is filled with kind-hearted people who are there to fulfill the mission. SJC offers generous benefits to accommodate the stresses of working in social services.
Pros
Benefits, holidays and 2 hiatus periods per year.
Cons
social services is a tough career field
Great place to give back to community
Culinary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAAugust 2, 2017
Wonderful organization working to help individuals with getting back on their feet, providing assistance to jobs, food, shelter and more. I worked with children ages 3 to 5, and all the staff were very supportive, collaborative and fun to work with.
It has changed so much
Employee (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAJuly 1, 2017
I see SJC as a great "starter" job, especially if you are a social worker and not in Admin. However, they are FAR behind on the payscale compared to other companies (unless you're an Executive). There are problems at the top which trickle down to other employees; many people (including management and execs) have left or have been released. We'd simply get an email that so & so is no longer with the company. Yes, this happens, but at SJC, it happens too often, which leads to low morale and a weird vibe at the agency. There are good things about SJC--you can wear jeans, they have retreats, picnics, and you get nearly 3 weeks paid each year for hiatuses. But in the end, it doesn't really make up for the office politics, favoritism, and (some) management who don't really know what they are doing. Or, management that are so stressed from pressure from upper management that they make everyone's lives miserable.
Pros
Lots of paid time off, like it's unreal
Cons
Management, low morale, uncertainty about your future
Always something to do
Housing Locator/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 1, 2017
Work never ends, when working with such a ever changing difficult population. It becomes stressful and sometimes overwhelming. St. Joe's does a great job at making it a point to take time for yourself and get your head right so to speak every now and again.
Pros
Off at 3:30 on fridays, company parties
Cons
Need reliable transportation for most postions
Fun place to work
Veterans Representative Payee Program (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAMarch 23, 2016
Good people to work with. Nice incentives and company gatherings. Compensation is pretty fair and management is not bad but is not great either.
Productive workplace enviornment
Officer of the Day (Former Employee) –  Venice, CASeptember 25, 2015
This job was excellent and taught me so much about individuals dealing with homelessness as well as taught me information on mental health. All the staff was so great and helpful.
have changed the dynamics of staff accountability and ethics in regards to employees.
Case manager/ Representative Payee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2015
Worked with veterans hands on to improve their wellbeing while helping to promote lives. worked with veterans to manage their monies and or provide assist with paying bills etc. Worked with a team of 5 individuals on the VA campus . Enjoyed enriching lives.
working with the religious
Medical Assistant - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYOctober 22, 2013
I learned a lot from this population of men. Was able to work around my family and school.
Pros
the Brothers
Cons
the management
It was a great place to work and everyone was like family.
Achivist Assist./Conference Center Assist/CNA (Former Employee) –  Tipton, INJune 21, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others with their basic needs. The employees became like family not only to each other but also the the people we served.
A typical day at work became varied as the facility grew to a closing point. The first 29 years I was a CNA, with additional duties as needed in a home type setting. Then for the next 9 months I worked in the Conference Center taking reservations, processing payments and hostessing when groups arrived or had formal dinners. The last 3 months was spent helping the Sister organize and ship there Archives. This meant putting all personal files online with Filemaker, sorting and packing, and researching when needed.
I am so thankful for the 30 years I worked with the Sisters of St. Joseph.
Pros
Free lunches, Safe place to work
Cons
Sometimes breaks where interrupted
Supportive and encouraging staff
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAMay 23, 2013
There is no typical day at work for me at the Homeless Service Center. I have been exposed to a wide variety of extensive mental health issues that often coincide with alcohol or drug abuse. I have learned how to shift dynamics when working long term with the chronically mentally ill. I have learned how to be creative in my interventions and have seen great progress among my clients. I have great respect and admiration for my co-workers. It is very much a team oriented environment, without which none of us would be as successful and efficient as we aim to be. The management at St. Joseph Center does a fantastic job growing this organization to reach more individuals who are in need; however, they often overlook basic and good business practices without fully taking into account the suggestions of the existing staff. The hardest part of my job is preventing burn out. My days are often extremely emotionally draining. The most enjoyable part of my job is witnessing the appreciative and hard working clients improve and work to help themselves improve their circumstances. Overall, I am grateful for my experience at St. Joseph Center and have learned more than I could have possibly imagined.
Pros
Holidays, staff, vacation and sick days
Cons
Systems issues, politics, lack of resources for clients
Great work environment
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAMay 20, 2013
Good opportunities for professional development and solid staff rapport and sennse of teamwork. An organization with a mission and programs that you can stand behind.